Duty Shotgun. Opinions wanted [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Duty Shotgun. Opinions wanted

s&w357
12-07-2011, 15:50
Ok guys, after being unsatisfied with my department guns I've decided that since I am constantly teaching a shotgun class and telling people what I think a shotgun needs, I'm going to buy my own duty weapon and spend the cash to set it up exactly the way I want it.

I have thought of just dropping major cash on a semi-custom gun like a Nighthawk or Vang Comp or just going with a standard Remington and adding what I want as I go. Opinions on that are fine, but my real decision is this.

I am trying to decide if I want to go with an 18.5 or go the NFA route and go with 14". My current department gun is 14 and I love it. I much prefer it over the longer tube. Its not the $200 that I'm as worried about. I convinced myself that money should not be the driving factor in this decision.

what are your thoughts? I hear from some that I shouldn't do it because "they can will have you on a list" well, the way I see it is that even if I buy a 18.5 inch gun, I am still buying through an FFL so that makes no sense. My main concern is the fact that if I do any out of state training I would have to be cleared to take it first.

Any other draw backs or advantages? Any one else carrying NFA on duty? SBS or SBR?

fran m
12-07-2011, 16:17
Post in the tactical shotgun Forum and member Aippi will advise you. He is a Remington Shotgun Armorer and will tell you to get an 870, not a semi auto. He won't steer you wrong and may save you money.

rudeboy3
12-07-2011, 16:33
Ya aippi is definitely the person to talk to.

s&w357
12-07-2011, 16:52
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm decided on the brand. Which is an 870p. My question is for the opinions of officers on carrying an NFA weapon that is personally owned while on duty. Again many thanks.

ray9898
12-07-2011, 16:52
Never felt outgunned with a simple 870. It does everything I need a duty shotgun to do.

rockapede
12-07-2011, 17:44
Ok guys, after being unsatisfied with my department guns I've decided that since I am constantly teaching a shotgun class and telling people what I think a shotgun needs, I'm going to buy my own duty weapon and spend the cash to set it up exactly the way I want it.

I have thought of just dropping major cash on a semi-custom gun like a Nighthawk or Vang Comp or just going with a standard Remington and adding what I want as I go. Opinions on that are fine, but my real decision is this.

I am trying to decide if I want to go with an 18.5 or go the NFA route and go with 14". My current department gun is 14 and I love it. I much prefer it over the longer tube. Its not the $200 that I'm as worried about. I convinced myself that money should not be the driving factor in this decision.

what are your thoughts? I hear from some that I shouldn't do it because "they can will have you on a list" well, the way I see it is that even if I buy a 18.5 inch gun, I am still buying through an FFL so that makes no sense. My main concern is the fact that if I do any out of state training I would have to be cleared to take it first.

Any other draw backs or advantages? Any one else carrying NFA on duty? SBS or SBR?

My thought is if you want a SBS, you're not going to be satisfied with anything else. You can always pick up an 18.5 inch barrel for the out of state stuff.

Cochese
12-07-2011, 18:08
I'm about to qualify with a Serbu Super Shorty for duty. :whistling:

Cav
12-07-2011, 19:10
870PMAX or M590.

DaBigBR
12-07-2011, 19:14
870P 14" with your choice of sights. If you do a light, get the Surefire LED fore-end unless you prefer something else.

Deployment Solu
12-07-2011, 21:04
Another vote for the 870P. Simple, (no gas system to fail), reliable (see parenthesis), inexpensive, and it goes bang every time.

DoogieHowser
12-07-2011, 21:17
870 or 590 no contest, semi is for comps not duty, I'd still prefer the AR personally.

Side note the magpul dvd is worth it, I'd be up for letting you borrow it if you'd like (PM to work out details) it's not shotgun cannon but it does have some tricks that are interesting. Especially ammo changeovers.

razdog76
12-07-2011, 21:33
I am a fan of the shotgun, and am issued an 870p with a 18.5" rifle sighted barrel. Shotgun advantages obviously don't need to be addressed here.

I will give another vote for a 14" barrel. Shotguns have two big negatives, overall length, and weight. Compare a standard 20" or 18.5" barrel 870 to a 16" AR, then compare the weight of a loaded 4 round magazine to the AR with a loaded magazine.

Reducing the overall length allows it to be much easier to get in and out of cruisers, doing building searches, etc... When adding things like extended magazines, and lights it makes the gun very heavy. With a 14.5" barrel, it allows a +1 magazine extension so it will hold 5 shells. This minimizes the negative, and enhances the positive attributes.

Now, obviously you can pick up an 870 for teaching purposes, but a 14" Benelli auto makes a bunch of sense too for your needs. I have seen many on auction sites for little more than a new 870p, and this one is no exception. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=263908162