Agency Challenge Coins [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Agency Challenge Coins

COLOSHOOTR
12-08-2011, 15:57
I'm one of those guys that caught the challenge coin bug a few years ago and I swear it's really started to take off now. Anytime I see a new one I just have to pick one up. I have a bunch of various coins from my own agency, from training classes I've attended and a couple federal ones I've talked out of S/A's I've worked with but other agency coins are kind of hard to come by. I know our agency ones really only started to appear a few years ago and have just recently became more popular....

So, I'm wondering how many of you guys even have agency challenge coins?

If anyone who has any and may be up for a trade let me know.

Cochese
12-08-2011, 16:14
We have/had one but it was lame.

LippCJ7
12-08-2011, 16:33
Douglas County has them, I can get you one if your interested.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s224/LippCJ7/photobucket-37324-1323387732961.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s224/LippCJ7/photobucket-37281-1323387813696.jpg

kylet
12-08-2011, 16:56
I've got a couple for my fire department. Ill trade ya one if you have any interest

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

COLOSHOOTR
12-08-2011, 17:11
I'd definatly be interested in both!

I think I have a couple of these laying around.... http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv141/COLOSHOOTR/IMAG0346.jpg

LippCJ7
12-08-2011, 17:26
I need to go by the SO tomorrow anyway, See if I can allocate one for you and send you a PM ok?

Trigger Finger
12-08-2011, 17:31
LAPD has about 30 or 35 different ones! My division and section I was in had one each.

Chief Bratton gave one to every detective on the department that was very nice. The special detective coin is very hard to get, the department gave them ONLY to detectives and I have heard of them going for $50.00 apiece when you can find someone who will sell them.

I only have about 8 different coins. About 4 are in my shadow box. Not interested in trading, sorry, but I have seen some of them on E-Bay. But not the LAPD Detective coin!

COLOSHOOTR
12-08-2011, 17:38
I've seen some on Ebay. Some look really cool but a lot of them are just bulk made junk with different badges on one side and something pretty generic on the other side that they sell as the real deal. So, I stay away from ebay from the most part unless I've seen it before and know it's a real one. What does that detective one look like?

Newcop761
12-08-2011, 17:43
I picked one up for my agency when I went to Moscow. That one is my favorite. I have a couple others. Need to have some made up.

Sent from my Nexus One

Trigger Finger
12-08-2011, 18:43
I've seen some on Ebay. Some look really cool but a lot of them are just bulk made junk with different badges on one side and something pretty generic on the other side that they sell as the real deal. So, I stay away from ebay from the most part unless I've seen it before and know it's a real one. What does that detective one look like?

It's hard to describe. One side has an American flag in color and two badges, the first detective badge and the current shield and it says something like "serving the community for over 200 years". There is something like rope around the outer edge of the coin and it is coated with a thick clear epoxy or something. I wish I knew how to post photos, I would try to put one on this post. I can't see or remember what the other side looks like, it's in the shadow box, but I am tempted to open up the box and take a close look at it since you peeked my interest.

CW Mock
12-08-2011, 18:45
Last one I got was from the SAC in Charge for Denver after the Dougherty Gang pursuit/shootout. The rest I have are agency ones for two chiefs, a DNC coin, and I think a few military ones I have picked up here and there.

I think they are a neat little momento, and I am always looking for chances to get more.

x_out86
12-08-2011, 19:44
We have them, and have seen them a few times, but they are only given out for meritorious actions by officers. I have yet to receive one.....DAMMIT.

SAR
12-08-2011, 22:38
Our Department has a bunch, but I am more into the military ones... I have a few very rare ones... the CG MNC-I sent me one personally. Also have one from NSW-DEVGRU.

CAcop
12-08-2011, 23:35
We have a manager who had a bunch made for him that he only trades when he goes to confrences, etc.

I fail to see how they encourage esprite de corps. Not working people too hard and listening to them would work better.

Bullman
12-08-2011, 23:42
We have a pretty cool coin, I need to photograph mine and post it.

kylet
12-09-2011, 01:11
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Morris
12-09-2011, 12:55
My first coin came from an F-15 driver who thanked me for a successful turn when we were competing for a Red Flag slot. It disappeared during one move and likely joined my stolen check a fellow airman took when I was leaving the Air Force . . .

Have quite a few. My most prized one was the one I received at the end of TACP school. Meant a huge deal to me.

On a side note, be careful with your coin checks in the (now former) NCO club or local bar. My credit card cried like a baby that night . . .

LippCJ7
12-09-2011, 14:20
My first coin came from an F-15 driver who thanked me for a successful turn when we were competing for a Red Flag slot. It disappeared during one move and likely joined my stolen check a fellow airman took when I was leaving the Air Force . . .

Have quite a few. My most prized one was the one I received at the end of TACP school. Meant a huge deal to me.

On a side note, be careful with your coin checks in the (now former) NCO club or local bar. My credit card cried like a baby that night . . .

Checked twice already, thankfully I was properly prepared, the second time would have been ugly, nearly 50 represented that night.....

ClydeG19
12-09-2011, 15:11
I have one that was given to me when I graduated from the academy. I assume it's something the academy does for all the graduates.

Bodyarmorguy
12-10-2011, 01:23
Picture 1 is part of my collection, the ones that I keep in the office at work. Pictures 2 and 3 are my agency's coin.