Wisconsin Will Only Honor A VA Non Resident? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Will Only Honor A VA Non Resident?

Gary Slider
12-08-2011, 19:55
Wisconsin has done what I thought would never happen. They will honor a states Non Resident permit/license but not their Resident permit/license. You can go to the WI DOJ Page at the link below and see it for yourself.
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/reciprocity.asp

This happened because of the way WI law reads on who they will honor based on what type of a back ground check the state runs on it applicants. I was told that FL runs its background checks through the FBI and not the NICS program so WI will not honor FL. Will just have to wait and see if there are any more twists in WI and who they will honor.

xmanhockey7
12-08-2011, 20:10
Wisconsin has done what I thought would never happen. They will honor a states Non Resident permit/license but not their Resident permit/license. You can go to the WI DOJ Page at the link below and see it for yourself.
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/reciprocity.asp

This happened because of the way WI law reads on who they will honor based on what type of a back ground check the state runs on it applicants. I was told that FL runs its background checks through the FBI and not the NICS program so WI will not honor FL. Will just have to wait and see if there are any more twists in WI and who they will honor.

Anyone know the difference between the VA resident and the non-resident that would cause this?

HerrGlock
12-09-2011, 01:28
Anyone know the difference between the VA resident and the non-resident that would cause this?

Total guess but VA puts resident checks through the VA State Police database for the check, that database includes an NCIC check but not NICS. VA puts non-residents through a NICS check, which is the offically approved background check of WI.

JimmyN
12-09-2011, 05:48
I think Herrglock is right. Resident permits are handled through the court system which uses the state database and local PD records for the background check. Non-resident permits are handled by the State Police which uses NICS since the applicant is not a VA resident.