EOW, Moore County, NC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : EOW, Moore County, NC

Sampo
12-08-2011, 20:13
http://www.digtriad.com/news/article/202825/57/Man-Kills-Moore-County-Deputy-Commits-Suicide

:'( Had just finished reading about V-Tech, when we were notified at my Dept. We are in a neighboring county. Prayers to his friends and family. May God bless him...

Loki99
12-08-2011, 20:52
Godspeed Deputy Rhyne.

RussP
12-08-2011, 21:34
http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=221017&stc=1&d=1323405464
Prayers...

packsaddle
12-08-2011, 21:36
rest in peace, sir.

Hack
12-08-2011, 21:43
RIP.:fallenofficer:

G27Chief
12-08-2011, 22:32
:fallenofficer: RIP Dep. Rhyne, prayers to all concerned.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

MeefZah
12-09-2011, 00:21
RIP, brother.

Fireplug
12-09-2011, 01:25
:fallenofficer: RIP

ditchdoc24
12-09-2011, 02:48
:fallenofficer: RIP Brother

Patchman
12-09-2011, 04:31
Damn, another senseless, tragic LEO death.

Just another LEO doing "routine" LE stuff so that the good citizens in that community can go about their day without being inconvenienced or experiencing any ripples in the fabric of their lives.

When people are looking to commit suicide, why can't they just have enough good graces to do so in private?

Ship A'Hoy
12-09-2011, 04:52
:fallenofficer: :sadangel:

Ajon412
12-09-2011, 08:57
Rest in Peace, Brother....:fallenofficer:

merlynusn
12-09-2011, 09:05
:fallenofficer:

Mayhem like Me
12-09-2011, 09:17
RIP brother , prayes to family and friends

4949shooter
12-09-2011, 09:21

ottomatic
12-09-2011, 09:41
I used to live in Moore County, when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, and my ex still does.

PRAYERS GO OUT.

scottydl
12-09-2011, 09:59
Dep. Rhyne was a man obviously dedicated to service in law enforcement... 37 years on the job!

glockurai
12-09-2011, 12:19
RIP. Prayers for the family.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

razdog76
12-09-2011, 19:21

itsnitro
12-09-2011, 19:24
Russ make another one, just received this email about one in Kansas. Over a nuisance call

http://www.odmp.org/officer/21040-sergeant-david-enzbrenner

Rinconjoe
12-09-2011, 19:26
hear some info from my earlier post why he didnt post under it :
officer death

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VASS, N.C. — Moore County mourned the loss of a long-serving law enforcement officer Friday as investigators pieced together the history of the man believed to have killed the 58-year-old deputy Thursday afternoon.

Deputy Rick Rhyne responded to a trespassing complaint and found Martin Abel Poynter, 33, and his brother in a vacant house at 752 Morrison Bridge Road. Authorities said that when Rhyne tried to arrest Poynter on an outstanding warrant for child support, Poynter pulled out a pistol, shot Rhyne in the face and then shot and killed himself. His brother doesn't face any charges.

Sheriff Lane Carter said Poynter was an Iraq war veteran from Missouri with a history of mental problems.

Neighbors said they often saw him hanging around the abandoned house, but he disappeared about two years ago.

"He's been in there off and on through the years. You never see him when he's coming in and out because he's more a person that would keep to himself," neighbor Linda Chavis said.

He always acted skittish around police, she said, even running through her home once to hide when he saw a law officer coming.

"I said, 'What are you doing? Why are you always ducking and hiding?' And he says, 'Well, before I go to jail again, I'll kill myself,'" Chavis said.

Poynter didn't have a criminal record, aside from the child support warrants, Carter said. Deputies encountered Poynter once before in 2007, when someone at the home had him involuntarily committed for mental treatment.

Property records show the house was still in Poynter's name. A man who answered the door there Friday said Poynter was a friend but he had seen him only once in several years.

Investigators believe Poynter was in Missouri for the past couple years, Carter said.

Rhyne was the first Moore County sheriff's deputy to be killed in the line of duty.

He had worked in law enforcement in the county since he was 21 years old, and acquaintances said he loved it too much to retire even when he could.

"It was in his blood, and he was a great police officer," said Foxfire Village Police Chief Mike Campbell, who was mentored by Rhyne. "He just loved it that much, and he enjoyed getting in that police car."

"He was a wonderful man and a great police officer," Carter said."He was just a great, great law enforcement officer. He served his community well."

Rhyne started part-time work with the Moore County Sheriff's Office in 2007 after rising to the rank of police chief at Foxfire Village, where he spent 26 years. He began his law enforcement career in Pinehurst in 1974.

He is survived by a wife, a son and two grandchildren.

Colleagues and friends remembered Rhyne as a friendly, joyful man.

"He came in every morning, very bubbly, very happy, a good guy," store clerk Mindy Ring, a clerk at a convenience store where Rhyne was a regular.

"When I started here (on the Firefox Village police force), he knew everybody by name, everyone who lived here," Campbell said.

"Whenever you saw Rick, he was always personable. He loved everybody," Carter said.

Visitation for Rhyne will be held 3-7 p.m. Sunday at the Boles Funeral Home in Southern Pines. A funeral service will be held at 1 p.m. Monday in the Owens Auditorium at Sandhills Community College.

A memorial fund in memory of Rhyne has been set up at First Bank. Anyone wishing to donate can make out a check to the "Deputy Rick Rhyne Memorial Account" and bring it to any First Bank branch or mail it to First Bank P.O. Box 125, Carthage, N.C. 28327.

Oh please excuse my spelling and grammar, I haven’t been in school since the 8th and have worked all my life so that’s not my strong area Thanks

glocksalot
12-09-2011, 19:31
RIP sir

heard many good stories about you and i hope those that you work with carry on your attitude

Patchman
12-09-2011, 19:49
Deputy Rhyne had 37 years of LE. RIP.