LGS overpriced G26 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LGS overpriced G26

arushus
12-09-2011, 00:28
I realize this thread does not even remotely belong here, but the only people's opinions I respect, or care to hear, hang out here, thus, I posted here. If somebody gets butt-hurt over it, Im sorry, Ill send you some preparation H..

I was at my gunsmith/lgs today to take my Grandpa's old guns by there for a good cleaning and a once over. My grandfather died a couple weeks ago, and I inherited his guns. Nothin big and fancy, just an old winchester model 74 .22 rifle, a .22 winchester revolver, and a .410 bore shotgun. They'd been in storage for a long time and hadnt been properly cared for or stored. Rust on the barrels, and God knows what inside the barrels. The actions all worked, but they DEFINITELY needed a lil oil, to put it mildly.

I happened to glance under the counter and he had a Glock 26 sitting there. I asked to look at it while he and I were sitting there bs'ing (you can not go into this guys shop, and be all business, and walk out. He's always got some off color joking to do, and some old marine war stories to tell, I dont mind, he's a good guy, and the most knowledgeable and skilled gunsmith Ive ever come across). It had an extended, ported aftermarket barrel installed, looked to be stormlake, but I couldnt tell for sure, and he was in the middle of one of his stories, so I couldnt ask him what brand. The frame looked to be in excellent condition, as was the slideand breechface. Definitely hadnt been used much. He said the guy carried it in an ankle holster, but I didnt notice much holster wear at all. The white in the stock sights were pretty brown/faded. The serial number puts it as being test fired in august of 2002. In any case, it is a relatively old, used 26. And being as the barrel was aftermarket, and ported after it was bought, the previous owner was obviously fairly knowledgeable when it comes to glocks, which just worried me because who knows how much of the other parts had been tinkered with and replaced with AM parts, no biggie though, I can always just take it to an armorer and have everything replaced...

The only real point to this thread was to mention the egregious price that this gun was listed for....I know what youre thinking, $450, $500? Surely not $600 or $650? No, none of those, not even $700...He wanted $749 for this 26!!!!!! Granted, it had an aftermarket barrel, and four mags, but that really doesnt substantially add to the resale value in my book. I tried not to let the guy see me choke when I read the price, but I did mention it being a little high...he said it was a consignment, and that is what the guy wanted it listed for...ok, whatever floats your boat I suppose...

Dalton Wayne
12-09-2011, 01:13
:faint:

21Carrier
12-09-2011, 01:38
$750 is insane. You could buy a brand new G26, aftermarket barrel, and 2 mags for less than that. I wonder how some people come up with this stuff. What goes through someone's mind when setting a price like that? Maybe he doesn't really want it to sell.

Beanie-Bean
12-09-2011, 04:02
I agree 100% w/21 there...you can get a shiny, new G26+accessories for way less.

I like G26 a lot, and really enjoy carrying and shooting it. Mine is stock, except for the TruGlo TFOs. Original RSA and ejector, and I can shoot it with no malfunctions or failures. I'd like to get the newer parts for the trigger assembly, but it is really functioning with no problems, and it's a Gen4 model!

If you get a multi-year membership to GSSF, you can get a coupon to pick up for around $425 w fixed sights.

bustedknee
12-09-2011, 18:33
.... a .22 winchester revolver, ....

:needspics:

Cicero
12-10-2011, 08:45
Sounds like a local gunshop here. Actually, it sounds like all but one local gunshop around my locale. The good place sells Glocks for literally, no-exaggeration or hyperbole, 1/2 to 2/3 the price that you get at the other places. Want to spend $1000 on a Springfield 1911 GI that has a suggested retail around $650? Heh. No problem around here. After all, it's a 1911 and everyone knows they cost a lot. American Eagle 115 gr FMJ 9mm? On sale for the low, low price of $36/box of 50. Before finding the one good shop in town, I was driving 95 minutes on way to get to a place with decent prices.

TDC20
12-10-2011, 09:03
The sad thing is, someone with very little knowledge will probably drop in and buy it. :upeyes: That's how these guys stay in business. Since it's on consignment, the shop owner has to get 10-15% off the sale, too. Maybe the buyer will talk him down to $700 and feel like he made a good deal. It's really no different than going on GunsAmerica and seeing two sellers selling the exact same NIB pistol, except one is priced $200 more than the other. My guess is that they don't make a lot of internet sales, but make most of their sales in their local shops to walk-in customers.

arushus
12-10-2011, 13:05
The sad thing is, someone with very little knowledge will probably drop in and buy it. :upeyes: That's how these guys stay in business. Since it's on consignment, the shop owner has to get 10-15% off the sale, too. Maybe the buyer will talk him down to $700 and feel like he made a good deal. It's really no different than going on GunsAmerica and seeing two sellers selling the exact same NIB pistol, except one is priced $200 more than the other. My guess is that they don't make a lot of internet sales, but make most of their sales in their local shops to walk-in customers.

whatscares me about this is you are right, and it may end up leaving a bad taste for glocks in someone's mouth. I love glocks and ama big fan of them, but as we all know, a used 26 is worth nowhere near $750!!!! I just hope nobody comes away thinking glocks are a ripoff because of their one experience with this glock...

michael e
12-10-2011, 13:25
I wouldn't pay 450 for a used one, much less 750. Did you ask if it was a mistake on the price?

arushus
12-10-2011, 13:28
I wouldn't pay 450 for a used one, much less 750. Did you ask if it was a mistake on the price?

Well when I saw the prices of the other guns, such as a new hi-point selling for $325, I knew it was no mistake, haha....

JimIsland
12-10-2011, 21:18
Is that for one? lol:rofl:

Javelin
12-10-2011, 21:21
He must REALLY like that pistol. :cool: