Any Central Missouri Officers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Central Missouri Officers?

DVeng
12-09-2011, 08:36
I am looking for some information from officers in the central Missouri area. An opportunity has arisen for my family to move to that part of the country which would mean that I would be looking for a new LE position. (I am currently a reserve officer in another state, but intend to go full-time as quickly as possible after moving if we do take this opportunity)

I would like to get a sense for the different departments in that area from someone who knows them. From publicly available information, Columbia PD looks very attractive. However, I am also looking at the Callaway County, Boone County, Jefferson City, etc. Does anyone have any information about morale among rank and file officers in any of those agencies or other agencies in the area?

From what I can tell, Missouri's hiring process is very different from my current state's. Can anyone provide any guidance on how it usually works? I have been researching online, but would appreciate a more informed view on it as well.

PMs welcome if you'd rather not post publicly on it.

Thanks,
DVeng

Detectorist
12-09-2011, 12:04
I think JBaird posts here is up in that area. Don't know if I spelled his handle correctly.

shootindave
12-09-2011, 19:29
You will have to go through an academy. If you can get hired by a dept and they pay for you to go through the academy you should feel lucky with those smaller depts.

Also, I believe the MO Highway Patrol are hiring for specific troops now..... so you might look into them as well. A lot of perks working for them vesus a small dept IMHO.

If you run into any specific questions just PM me.

Dave

Hack
12-09-2011, 22:34
I'm a Missouri Native. Jefferson City used to be pretty good to work for. I know a fellow who used to work in law enforcement for my agency as well who has experience from there, but he doesn't post on here.

JBaird works in Moberly, Missouri. I used to work there as well. Overall the community is OK. I lived there for a little over five years while working for the Missouri DOC facility just south of the city. Columbia is a University of Missouri city, so there is always something going on there.

It may be prudent to check in with the state agencies as well. Missouri Highway Patrol is a very good organization. If you don't mind corrections, Moberly Missouri, Jefferson City, Missouri are two places that are close to where you are looking at. Even with your limited experience you could get on. Also, you may want to consider getting on as a jailer for one of the counties in the areas you are looking at. Later you could move up to patrol or something.

Since it is a little ways from the areas you are looking at, but somewhat close there are federal jobs available. I work for the BOP, but you may be interested in getting on as area security officer for the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency in St. Louis, federal corrections in Greenville, IL; Leavenworth, KS.

DOD police at various military bases, with the closest one being Whiteman Air Force Base in Knob Noster, Missouri; then there is Leavenworth, KS. I think there may be an Air Force base near St. Louis, which would be another area.

Come to think of it, you may want to check out getting on with Missouri University in a police position. They will probably want you to go through their academy if you don't have enough for their requirements. I know there used to be a police academy in Columbia, MO.

Small towns don't pay well, so if you are looking for something with decent pay it would be better for you to stay out of there. But, they are good places for getting experience. It depends on what you are looking for.

DVeng
12-12-2011, 14:08
I sincerely appreciate the information you have all provided. If we do end up moving down there, I may ask some follow-up questions. I know I like the area as I lived there for a couple of years prior to moving to Iowa, but I don't know a lot about the LE agencies there so the additional information is very useful.

I'm sure I'll have to do an academy regardless as Iowa's reserve academy is nothing like a full-time academy, but I actually am looking forward to that. I have been a reserve for almost five years, but I still love learning everything I can about the job and the prospect of having to learn a new set of state and local statutes is oddly fascinating to me.

Again, thanks to all of you for the information.

DaBigBR
12-12-2011, 18:19
I sincerely appreciate the information you have all provided. If we do end up moving down there, I may ask some follow-up questions. I know I like the area as I lived there for a couple of years prior to moving to Iowa, but I don't know a lot about the LE agencies there so the additional information is very useful.

I'm sure I'll have to do an academy regardless as Iowa's reserve academy is nothing like a full-time academy, but I actually am looking forward to that. I have been a reserve for almost five years, but I still love learning everything I can about the job and the prospect of having to learn a new set of state and local statutes is oddly fascinating to me.

Again, thanks to all of you for the information.

Sonofa*****, it has been five years. How time flies.

JBaird22
12-12-2011, 21:11
I won't discuss on an open forum negative attributes of any departments but I will say that yes you will have to go through an academy unless you have some .mil MP experience and training but even then I'd suggest going through a civilian LE academy as they are entirely different animals.

Feel free to PM me. I can probably answer some questions about the things you are curious about. Good luck on wherever life's journey takes you.