Wi ccw [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wi ccw

lightsareout
12-09-2011, 10:30
Now with WI conceal carry it seems the majority of businesses are jumping on the bandwagon and posting signs not allowing weapons within their business. Now when i go back to MI to visit my parents and family I don't see a single sign anywhere! Why is WI having such an issue with this?

I was talking to my dad and he pointed out that if something were to happen at a business that prohibited firearms they could be held responsible for not enforcing their posted rules. Is this true? With how the WI bill is written businesses are not held responsible for the actions of someone with CCW; So I guess it does make sense then that they would loose that right by posting a sign against the bill?

eclark53520
12-09-2011, 10:45
There is a statute that says by not posting a sign, that business is not liable for actions rising from that decision.

Which is to say, by posting a sign, the business is assuming liability for actions rising from that decision.

So yes, you are correct. By Wisconsin law, a business posting a sign can be held liable if you are in that business and something happens where you cannot defend yourself.

HerrGlock
12-09-2011, 11:10
It always happens when a state first passes CCW. Start handing out No Guns == No Money cards and telling managers why you are not going to spend money in their stores.

After a while people will calm down and the signs will start going away.

redbaron007
12-09-2011, 11:35
It always happens when a state first passes CCW. Start handing out No Guns == No Money cards and telling managers why you are not going to spend money in their stores.

After a while people will calm down and the signs will start going away.

^^^
This!!!

:wavey:

red

STI
12-09-2011, 11:47
It was the same here in Texas when they 1st got CHL's, very few signs now and most are not legal ones.
Denny's used to have a policy of letting all LE have 1/2 off to free meals for yrs, maybe they still do I don't know, then the CHL came into law and signs went up. I retired and asked why when I was LE you offered me discounted meals and now you don't want me in there? I got no answer, I kept on this with the corp mgt and shortly the signs went away, I dont know if it had any effect on it but something sure did.

geoemery
12-09-2011, 17:11
I've only seen 3 signs, Post Office, Clinic, and a manufacturing plan since CCL came in. I think a lot of it has to do with the antigun media acting like CCL is like a hunting license. I know number of people carry without a permit, I doubt if they would even consider the signs. In time, most people realize CCL don't change people.

lightsareout
12-09-2011, 22:26
I've only seen 3 signs, Post Office, Clinic, and a manufacturing plan since CCL came in. I think a lot of it has to do with the antigun media acting like CCL is like a hunting license. I know number of people carry without a permit, I doubt if they would even consider the signs. In time, most people realize CCL don't change people.

Where are you at in Northeast wi? In Wausau, most restraunts have the signs up, the mall, and many of the little local stores that we like to shop at.

mj9mm
12-09-2011, 22:36
i haven't gotten out much lately, but i noticed that Harbor Freight recently put up a sign, i turned around and walked away, i will be calling them about this. hope it's not a trend around here... south of milwaukee

10-32
12-09-2011, 22:47
I'm just glad WI finally got its act together and finally passed this thing. I remember the last couple times it got so close and failed, pretty upsetting.

Part of the reason I chose not to move back to WI after I got out of the military was because they didn't have concealed carry. I just don't feel comfortable living in a state that refuses to "allow" me to defend myself.

Hopefully the businesses will come around and before long, concealed carry will be accepted almost everywhere. I am really happy to see that both my TX and WA CHLs work in WI, so when things calm down I'll be back...to visit anyway

EAJuggalo
12-10-2011, 07:03
mj, don't call the Harbor Freight store, either call or email corporate. Harbor is not posted in MN so ask why Badgers are more dangerous than Gophers.

OP, I'm shocked by this out of Wausau, I would have expected it out of Madison, Milwaukee, maybe even Eau Claire. Start making calls, sending emails and dropping off no guns=no money cards everywhere and they'll start going away. Especially start making known to corporate what is happening at the store level since only Buffalo Wild Wings and PF Changs have a corporate policy against carry.

vista461
12-10-2011, 07:13
Especially start making known to corporate what is happening at the store level since only Buffalo Wild Wings and PF Changs have a corporate policy against carry.

I did see one at PF Changs at Mayfair, but didn't see one at BW3's in New Berlin, though it's been a few weeks since I've been there

EAJuggalo
12-10-2011, 07:17
Buffalo Wild Wings generally tries to just barely be in compliance with the law. Look on the glass to the sides of the entrance doors both above eye level and below the knee. I missed the sign when they moved it a couple months back to where the middle of the sign barely meets the height requirement for MN. I'm 6'2" and it was so high I barely saw it, a short guy wouldn't have a chance if they weren't looking for it.

geoemery
12-10-2011, 13:22
Lightsareout
I live in Kewaunee county.

huggytree
12-10-2011, 17:06
I havent seen one yet in Waukesha, Co

Milwaukee yes

i refuse to go anywhere that posts.....

im suprised in Wausau this is an issue.......Madison and Milwaukee you expect it, but Wausau?

i have considered carrying into business reguardless of the sign, but the $1000 fine stops me.....i wish they'd lower it to $100.....

can you lose your license if you get caught carrying in a 'no carry' signed business? or is it just a fine?

pugman
12-10-2011, 18:14

Saw my first sign.

Aurora Pharmacy where I live. After picking up my wife's prescription I immediately asked how difficult it would be to change to move my wife's prescription.

When asked why...I said "you don't respect my right, why would I give you my business?"

As expected I got a "deer in the headlights" stare back

Steelhawk
12-11-2011, 12:37
Makes me glad I live in Utah. Except for federal buildings, and some churches, we don't have legal "no gun" signs. Some places have postings, but the most they can do is ask you to leave if they see a gun. If you don't leave then it is a trespassing charge.

Mountain10mm
12-15-2011, 08:18
Colorado was the same way in 2003 when the state went from a "may issue" to "shall issue" law. Store owners freaked out and thought there would be shoot out's in the store over the last Tickle-me-Elmo. Didn't happen. There are still some stores that post, but like other posters said, don't shop there and tell the manager why. We also have a local (now national) 2a organization called Rocky Mountain Gun Owners (www.rmgo.org) that posts on line all the stores in Denver (and CO, if I remember correctly) that prohibits concealed carry. Some stores obviously don't care they are on the black list - it's their right, like it is ours to not shop there. I know some stores have amended their policy since 2003. Wisconsin is a great state and the people outside of Madison and Milwaukee are great people. (I lived in WI for decades.) Do your part to politely let businesses know how you feel and things will change. Be a gentleman, it's even more interesting to see the look on a managers face when a well dressed business man says he won't be shopping there because of their gun policy.