AR's soon to be at Dick's Sporting Goods [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR's soon to be at Dick's Sporting Goods

Truffle8Shuffle
12-09-2011, 18:34
I work for Dick's Sporting Goods and heard some news today that I thought I'd share with you all. According to my manager, we will be selling AR's starting either next week or in the next few weeks. Names she could remember were Smith & Wesson, Mossberg, Stag (wasn't 100% sure about this), and Bushmaster. I'd like to see Ruger added to the bunch as we sell their other rifles. Of course Colt and Sig would be nice, too.

Hopefully this means we'll start selling some stuff (mags, lights, etc.) for AR's as well. We can't beat Walmart prices but we seem to be cheaper than other local gun stores for ammo, accessories, and guns so this would give everyone with a store nearby another option when out shopping.

I was telling my manager and buyers from day one that they've been ignoring a huge part of the gun-buying world by not selling EBR's and accessories. It would be nice if this lead to us selling handguns, as well.

I'll update again whenever I find out more info.:supergrin:

thunderbat
12-09-2011, 18:41
Will be interesting to see what states they sell them in. Like wal-mart, they dont sell guns in their stores in all states...

Truffle8Shuffle
12-09-2011, 18:48
Will be interesting to see what states they sell them in. Like wal-mart, they dont sell guns in their stores in all states...

I hope they will carry them in all of the gun-selling stores. It would be a shame to leave any areas out. However, I know some Yankee states have crappy rules about "Assault Rifles" and/or "high capacity" magazines so this may not happen in those places. :dunno:

IGotIt
12-09-2011, 18:57
I'm curious as to what the pricing will be. I have found Dick's to be quite high on everything unless they are having some type of a super sale.

m2hmghb
12-09-2011, 19:01
I doubt they'll carry them in NJ NY MA MD and CA

astroboy
12-09-2011, 19:34

It's will all be wishful thinking for
us folks here in CA. Sucks.

craig19
12-09-2011, 21:11
Interesting. Kind of surprised, that if they are going to carry ARs, they wouldn't have started to before Christmas.

Truffle8Shuffle
12-09-2011, 21:37
Interesting. Kind of surprised, that if they are going to carry ARs, they wouldn't have started to before Christmas.

Have you ever worked in retail? Most of the things that corporate decides doesn't make sense. But better late than never.

mjkeat
12-09-2011, 22:24
Dicks has/had ARs at my local store. A couple years ago they had S&W M&Ps w/ some cheap optic for $500 or $600 on Black Friday.

craig19
12-10-2011, 13:50
Have you ever worked in retail? Most of the things that corporate decides doesn't make sense. But better late than never.

Yep, I worked at Best Buy for a long time. Those in charge would whore out their mothers if they thought they could make a buck.

jwhite75
12-10-2011, 13:53
Dick's here in WV have sold the Remington hunting ARs for several years now.

TreyG-20
12-10-2011, 13:56
Same here in Texas

Truffle8Shuffle
12-10-2011, 14:53
Dicks has/had ARs at my local store. A couple years ago they had S&W M&Ps w/ some cheap optic for $500 or $600 on Black Friday.

I was not aware of this. I've only been there a year.

This is true for my store as well, the R15 (.223) and R25 (.308) with no sights, camo, and aluminum hand guards. It'll be nice to see EBR's on the rack.

I also can't wait to see the special Employee Purchase Program price lists :supergrin::tongueout:...

Darkangel1846
12-11-2011, 22:33
I never go to the major sports stores.......high prices and unqualified people answering questions. Find yourself a local gun dealer(small business)and start up a good relationship with these people. Hopefully they will have a gunSmith there or one they recomend. find yourself a gun club and become a menber, the menbers will provide you with a wealth of information.

whitebread
12-11-2011, 23:02
What is to the point of Dicks carrying ARs? Their prices on very mediocre guns is going to be absolutely absurd...just like all their other products. Everything there can be had for 20+% less online.

WoodenPlank
12-12-2011, 08:16
What is to the point of Dicks carrying ARs? Their prices on very mediocre guns is going to be absolutely absurd...just like all their other products. Everything there can be had for 20+% less online.

Because many people are ignorant of what real pricing is on guns. The local Bass Pro sells Glock handguns for $50 OVER MSRP. Any local small gun shop will beat the BPS pricing by $100-200. Despite those facts, Bass Pro sells Glocks left and right, because some people are too dumb (or lazy) to do any shopping, and automatically assume that the big box store has the best pricing. To top it off, almost every Bass Pro gun department employee here is bloody ignorant (Oh, yeah, I saw a video online of someone shooting a Taurus Judge with this PDX1 ammo, and it knocked a 200 pound dummy back 15 feet! Bird shot is a great home defense round for a 12 ga!), and will sell whatever they can to make a sale, regardless if the gun in question meets what the customer said they needed.

TangoFoxtrot
12-12-2011, 09:02
I work for Dick's Sporting Goods and heard some news today that I thought I'd share with you all. According to my manager, we will be selling AR's starting either next week or in the next few weeks. Names she could remember were Smith & Wesson, Mossberg, Stag (wasn't 100% sure about this), and Bushmaster. I'd like to see Ruger added to the bunch as we sell their other rifles. Of course Colt and Sig would be nice, too.

Hopefully this means we'll start selling some stuff (mags, lights, etc.) for AR's as well. We can't beat Walmart prices but we seem to be cheaper than other local gun stores for ammo, accessories, and guns so this would give everyone with a store nearby another option when out shopping.

I was telling my manager and buyers from day one that they've been ignoring a huge part of the gun-buying world by not selling EBR's and accessories. It would be nice if this lead to us selling handguns, as well.

I'll update again whenever I find out more info.:supergrin:

Well I don't see DSG in my state selling handguns but AR's would be nice, especially accessories so I don't have to drive 12 miles to my LGS.

HexHead
12-12-2011, 09:42

They want to be set for the post-election sale.

Glockwork Orange
12-12-2011, 11:32
I work for Dick's Sporting Goods and heard some news today that I thought I'd share with you all. According to my manager, we will be selling AR's starting either next week or in the next few weeks...Hopefully this means we'll start selling some stuff (mags, lights, etc.) for AR's as well...

Just incredibly overpriced like all the guns in Dick's...

Wiggity
12-12-2011, 11:51
I work at dicks as well and can second this. My manager told me Colts and S&W.

Truffle8Shuffle
12-12-2011, 16:14
Just incredibly overpriced like all the guns in Dick's...

I wish I lived where you do for gun prices. Around here we have better prices than everyone but Walmart.

I work at dicks as well and can second this. My manager told me Colts and S&W.

I didn't hear Colt, but that would be nice to add to the list I was told. We'll see what the truth is when they start coming in the door.

redbrd
12-12-2011, 16:26
I hope the prices are better at Dick's than Walmart. Prices on Ar's at walmart in my area are way more than elsewhere in the Area (by at least $200 dollars).

Jayock
12-12-2011, 18:14
This really surprises me. I picked up my G26 at a super discount when Dick's bought out Gallyans. They weren't going to carry handguns anymore, so they had to extra-clearance price all handguns to get rid of for the merger.

I would have thought handguns before ARs, but I guess I'm wrong.

M&P Shooter
12-12-2011, 18:23
AR's should be sold in every department store across America!

Fwdftw
12-12-2011, 20:14
It's called the Internet , cheaper than Walmart ...and dicks.

TangoFoxtrot
12-12-2011, 21:27
AR's should be sold in every department store across America!

Its never gonna happen.

Calhoun123
12-14-2011, 18:48
My closest Dicks sells $500 guns for $800 - I don't even take time to look at them.

nyycanseco33
12-17-2011, 04:02

They can be sold in NY but they can't have a flash suppressor, no fore grip, and only 10 round mags... Gander mountain sells them and I bought the smith & Wesson M&P 15 with the EOtech sight

Truffle8Shuffle
12-17-2011, 18:00
So far we have only gotten one type of AR in, a Stag Arms model 3 for $845 http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=208 . It did not come with sights and only a ten round magazine :crying:. I asked my manager what gives with the magazine and her reply was "Baby steps..."

Price could be better when compared to some online retailers but with the sale we have starting this next week it'll be $100 off. Hopefully we'll get some different ones in soon.

Green Dragoon
12-18-2011, 07:18
So far we have only gotten one type of AR in, a Stag Arms model 3 for $845 http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=208 . It did not come with sights and only a ten round magazine :crying:. I asked my manager what gives with the magazine and her reply was "Baby steps..."

Price could be better when compared to some online retailers but with the sale we have starting this next week it'll be $100 off. Hopefully we'll get some different ones in soon.

e-tailers don't have to absorb the price of retail staff in their pricing. :whistling:

TangoFoxtrot
12-18-2011, 12:26
My closest Dicks sells $500 guns for $800 - I don't even take time to look at them.

Everything at Dick's is higher priced! They have us by the stones because LGS are far and few between.:upeyes:

Singlestack Wonder
12-18-2011, 15:32
Of course Dicks is only selling bottom quality AR's. Don't waste your money on these brands as well as paying a huge mark-up to Dicks.

kgain673
12-18-2011, 18:04

Most likely not in MD, but in MD we have a multitude of places that keep us supplied with AR's.

kgain673
12-18-2011, 18:05
In Md. the State Fire Marshal just made many Dick Sporting goods take black powder supplies off the shelf.

nyycanseco33
12-18-2011, 18:16
In Md. the State Fire Marshal just made many Dick Sporting goods take black powder supplies off the shelf.

I can understand the black powder issue because it burns longer and hotter than gun powder... As a firefighter I can understand the concern to remove it for fire hazard issues

m2hmghb
12-18-2011, 18:37
They can be sold in NY but they can't have a flash suppressor, no fore grip, and only 10 round mags... Gander mountain sells them and I bought the smith & Wesson M&P 15 with the EOtech sight

I'm talking about management decision. The same goes for NJ, they just can't be marked AR-15 or have the evil features. Typically the stores like that won't take the extra risk to offer things like that.

Lee-online
12-21-2011, 17:34
I saw my local dicks had a model 3 but it had the front sight. It was $849.

karl_hungus
12-26-2011, 09:53
Not sure why all the hate for Dicks. You just have to work the sales, coupons, reward points etc.

I just got home with my first EBR. I bought a Stag model 3 from Dicks this AM for $749.99 with the $100 off guns $800 or more sale. I checked the internet and was not going to beat that with shipping and transfer fee. I called the decent local gun shop and they wanted MSRP on this gun which is $895. We have another store with a huge selection but she charges $100-200 OVER MSRP on every gun I have priced there. Our other hole in the wall shop won't do a transfer on any gun they can get and want MSRP if they get it for you. The only time they will transfer a gun is if it's something they can't get and then they want $50 to do so. It's either deal with Dicks or drive an hour to Cabelas but their prices are high unless on sale.

Karl Hungus

Truffle8Shuffle
12-26-2011, 16:45
Not sure why all the hate for Dicks. You just have to work the sales, coupons, reward points etc.

I just got home with my first EBR. I bought a Stag model 3 from Dicks this AM for $749.99 with the $100 off guns $800 or more sale. I checked the internet and was not going to beat that with shipping and transfer fee. I called the decent local gun shop and they wanted MSRP on this gun which is $895. We have another store with a huge selection but she charges $100-200 OVER MSRP on every gun I have priced there. Our other hole in the wall shop won't do a transfer on any gun they can get and want MSRP if they get it for you. The only time they will transfer a gun is if it's something they can't get and then they want $50 to do so. It's either deal with Dicks or drive an hour to Cabelas but their prices are high unless on sale.

Karl Hungus

Karl, glad to hear you were able to get what you were looking for. If you do the survey on the receipt, you'll get another $10 off $50 coupon. Let me know how it shoots so I can tell my future customers.

Next week we're getting in a few M&P 15-22s, a few Bushmasters, and some Mossbergs.

shadow65
12-26-2011, 16:58
Think Dicks is high? Go over to Gander Mountain. Used G22, $550:rofl:

WoodenPlank
12-26-2011, 17:01

Bass pro asks as high as $599 for new 3rd gen Glocks. :wow:

All the big box retail stores that sell guns want way too much ****ing money for what they sell. Unfortunately, there are plenty of suckers willing to pay it, as they are too lazy to do the research and realize theyre being ripped off.

TangoFoxtrot
12-28-2011, 08:36
Oh the other rip joint!:rofl: Our DSG's got AR's recently but do not sell any accessories for it. One was an M&P 15-22($499.00) and the other a camo hunting model.

Glock30Eric
12-28-2011, 09:34
Can you please tell Dick's to sell reloading things like Hornady? It would be a big jackpot for Dick's if they sell reloading items.

shadow65
12-28-2011, 09:54
Before I knew better I took my Colt Defender to the "Gun Smith" at GM for a beaver tail and night sights. He butchered it so badly, GM had to replace it for me.
One month later I see it in the case listed for $1150 as a "Custom" Colt Defender.
Frame looked like he cut it with a hacksaw.
Dave

Truffle8Shuffle
12-28-2011, 10:19
Can you please tell Dick's to sell reloading things like Hornady? It would be a big jackpot for Dick's if they sell reloading items.

I've talked to our buyer about reloading stuff and more accessories for pistols and ARs. I was told they planned on expanding the Hunting department and that those items may be added to the mix. I can only cross my fingers.

If anything, talk to the Lodge manager at your store and suggest they carry those items. Our buyer gave us a notebook to take down customer requests and does his best to get those items.