Using underwear as a concealment strategy? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Using underwear as a concealment strategy?

dooga
12-09-2011, 18:46
I just took my first walkabout in Virginia with my new CCW and it was much easier than I thought it would be, but I am highly concealed with a Glock 26 deep in a Tommy Theis horsehide IWB. I liked it.

I ended up feeling too obvious and what I did was roll my black boxer-briefs over the top of the handle to cover the grip. Does anyone else use underwear to disguise their pistol or am I the only one?

Is that a thing or am I a freak? Also, I surely know that having one's "Eddie Bauer" waist band barring access to a quick draw isn't ideal, I feel like I am less likely to reveal myself if my shirt were to ride up as I get used to the Very Thick-while-still-being-small-Glock 26.

I can't wait until I just get used to it.

Bruce M
12-09-2011, 18:50
I don't.

dooga
12-09-2011, 18:51
I don't.
(I am assuming I am a freak and that you'll all drum me out of GlockTalk for writing this post)

Warp
12-09-2011, 18:55
I don't recall hearing of that before.

debbert
12-09-2011, 18:58
I can't even imagine what this must look like but I would never advocate covering the grip. You might give yourself a wedgie and shoot yourself if you really ever had to grab your gun quick.

dooga
12-09-2011, 18:58
I don't recall hearing of that before.
Wow, it just seems like a natural thing to do. Maybe it is because I wear a lot of black shirts and have black boxer-briefs so it all blends. But, I have either started a fledgling trend or I have severe issues.

dooga
12-09-2011, 18:59
I can't even imagine what this must look like but I would never advocate covering the grip. You might give yourself a wedgie and shoot yourself if you really ever had to grab your gun quick.
OK, OK, I see your point. Maybe in the future I will either 1) stop doing it or 2) I will take a photo of it in action to see if I impress or repulse.

10-32
12-09-2011, 19:01
(I am assuming I am a freak and that you'll all drum me out of GlockTalk for writing this post)

I think that's a fair assumption. :tongueout:

The first time I carried concealed I was a little freaked out, I thought everyone was looking at me or otherwise knew I had a gun and probably gave away the fact that it was there by my actions more than if I just relaxed and did whatever I was doing.

I had a CHL in TX for a couple years and now in WA. I have carried anything from a KelTec P32 to a full size 1911, usually OWB because I find it more comfortable, and aside from my normal SA, I never give it much thought.

Give it some time, you'll get more comfortable (couldn't get any less comfortable once you lose that wedgie!).

debbert
12-09-2011, 19:01
OK, OK, I see your point. Maybe in the future I will either 1) stop doing it or 2) I will take a photo of it in action to see if I impress or repulse.

A photo would be helpful.

dooga
12-09-2011, 19:08
A photo would be helpful.OK, I will work on that and get it to you guys ASAP

Spiffums
12-09-2011, 19:17
Sounds like something a thug would do. Mexican Carry his gat and just pull his drawers up over it since thugs usually wear their drawers up around their necks and their waistband down around their ankles.

janice6
12-09-2011, 19:26
As time goes by you will get much more comfortable with the idea of carrying a concealed gun. Finally you will get to feel that no one can tell and if one get a flash of it you won't give a damn.

I do my best to conceal and if it isn't good enough, the he** with it.

I was stopped going INTO a Walmart, that had metal detectors on the IN door. I was wearing a 'T' shirt and jeans with a G27 IWB.

I was in a hurry with my daughter and grandson, so when the employee ran up to us she said that if we had remote car openers it might set the alarm off, sure enough we had one each. She rushed us through. I bought what I needed and set off a different alarm going out. I was indignant about being stopped and the employee asked to see our receipt. I showed it and left, setting off this alarm for a second time.

Afterwards we all laughed about it and I didn't feel worried/guilty at all.

Time will get you to the same attitude.

Warp
12-09-2011, 19:35
As time goes by you will get much more comfortable with the idea of carrying a concealed gun. Finally you will get to feel that no one can tell and if one get a flash of it you won't give a damn.

I do my best to conceal and if it isn't good enough, the he** with it.

I was stopped going INTO a Walmart, that had metal detectors on the IN door. I was wearing a 'T' shirt and jeans with a G27 IWB.

I was in a hurry with my daughter and grandson, so when the employee ran up to us she said that if we had remote car openers it might set the alarm off, sure enough we had one each. She rushed us through. I bought what I needed and set off a different alarm going out. I was indignant about being stopped and the employee asked to see our receipt. I showed it and left, setting off this alarm for a second time.

Afterwards we all laughed about it and I didn't feel worried/guilty at all.

Time will get you to the same attitude.

I have never, ever entered a retail establishment that had metal detectors. They are for RFID tags on merchandise.

Now, I have entered a post office that had a metal detector at the door.

dooga
12-09-2011, 19:44
Sounds like something a thug would do. Mexican Carry his gat and just pull his drawers up over it since thugs usually wear their drawers up around their necks and their waistband down around their ankles.
Well, I lived in Southeast DC from 1988-2007 so maybe I inherited a little bit of the thug life. I really have to stop spelling GLOCK G-A-T, yo.

Bruce M
12-09-2011, 19:47

I have no authority to drum anyone out of Glock Talk and from what I can tell a wide variety of people and opinions are allowed here as long as some basic rules are adhered to. I continue to believe the moderators do a great job. You asked. I answered for me alone. I have no real opinion one way or another. If I see a photo perhaps I could elaborate or maybe not. If I see a photo and your underwear is from Victorias Secret then I may well use the term freak. :supergrin:

dooga
12-09-2011, 19:48
I have no authority to drum anyone out of Glock Talk and from what I can tell a wide variety of people and opinions are allowed here as long as some basic rules are adhered to. I continue to believe the moderators do a great job. You asked. I answered for me alone.
Alas, I remain because of the noble men around me, a loophole, kind moderators, and because we live in America!