10-Ring Popularity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10-Ring Popularity

nickE10mm
12-09-2011, 20:18
Anyone else notice the 10-Ring being extremely busy lately? Good stuff! Just thought I'd mention that .... again. :)

_The_Shadow
12-09-2011, 20:46
Yep! The 10mm is very much alive and well...I have seen a little less activity over at the 10mmTalk site but people still check in. "Long live the 10"! :)

nickE10mm
12-09-2011, 21:16
Just got my brand spankin' new Heinies self-installed on my G20SF. Man, lovin' these sights..... Long live the 10!!

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7171/img4037v.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/img4037v.jpg/)
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4851/img4038kt.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/img4038kt.jpg/)

arushus
12-09-2011, 22:34
Ya Ive noticed the increase too! Seems to be a lot more people talking about the 20&29 over in general glocking, and Im always sure to send them over here. Its a good sign, maybe we'll get cheaper ammo, and more gun and ammo manufacturers!

arushus
12-09-2011, 22:38
When I get a longslide for my 20sf, Im gonna put heinie straight eights on it...Ive got big dots on it now, and I really like them, but Im not afraid to try something new! Just cuz I really like the big dots doesnt mean I wont like something else just as much or better! After the heinie's Im gonna try some ameriglo I-dot pro night sights. Those are about the only other night sights im interested in.
Too many people find something they like and wont even give anything else out there a chance....Like I said, just cuz you really like something, doesnt mean you cant like something else a lot better, especially if you havent tried anything else. But there is also the attitude that, if it aint broke, dont fix it..

dryfly
12-10-2011, 07:22
I see a 29sf in my future,,,

CDW4ME
12-10-2011, 08:26
I'm one of the recent visitors to this sub-forum.

Long ago (early 1990's) I had a Colt Delta Elite, ended up selling it due to what I felt was excessive recoil (using Winchester Silvertip ammo) and my budding preference for Glocks.
That was long ago and I'm a more experienced shooter now.

I've got a Glock 29 SF on the way.

I've already acquired some factory Hornady 155 gr. ammunition, plus new Starline Brass and XTP bullets for me to handload. My intention is to duplicate the factory loadings ballistics wth my handloads. (I'm not new to handloading).

I'm hopeful that the polymer frame in combination with the low bore axis of the Glock will result in a 10mm that is tolerable to shoot with full power ammunition.

I didn't "need" the G29 in 10mm, but what the heck, why not. :wavey:

Jitterbug
12-10-2011, 08:46
CD if you hand load nothing say's you have to shoot barn busters all the time, one of my favorite loads in 10mm is a 180 grain bullet doing about 1000 fps...I shoot lots of em, cheap, accurate and fun loads I can shoot all day. And of course I always run a few mags of the hotter stuff too.

I have no issue with recoil, even with hot loads my 10mm feels like a 9mm compared to a stout 4" .44 Mag which I really enjoy shooting...within reason of course and I download it too.

With hand loading you can go mild to wild...and everything inbetween.

By hand loading I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by just how versatile the 10mm really is.

Welcome to the forum.

rcd567
12-10-2011, 09:30
CD if you hand load nothing say's you have to shoot barn busters all the time, one of my favorite loads in 10mm is a 180 grain bullet doing about 1000 fps...I shoot lots of em, cheap, accurate and fun loads I can shoot all day. And of course I always run a few mags of the hotter stuff too.

I have no issue with recoil, even with hot loads my 10mm feels like a 9mm compared to a stout 4" .44 Mag which I really enjoy shooting...within reason of course and I download it too.

By hand loading I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by just how versatile the 10mm really is.

Welcome to the forum.

Whaaat? Blasphemy I tell you!:wow:

The 10mm is a lot like West Nile Virus...once infected it consumes you.:shocked:

Jitterbug
12-10-2011, 09:54
I know, I know, that's what happens to old shooter's, we get feeble minded sometimes.

Perhaps I should repent and load up some 1300 fps 180's?

dsb1829
12-10-2011, 10:20
Anyone else notice the 10-Ring being extremely busy lately? Good stuff! Just thought I'd mention that .... again. :)
Tis' the season for walkin thru the woods in search of tasty animals. The 10mm is an excellent companion.

TreyG-20
12-10-2011, 10:24
I see a 29sf in my future,,,
Ditto

nickE10mm
12-10-2011, 10:31
Tis' the season for walkin thru the woods in search of tasty animals. The 10mm is an excellent companion.

Correctamundo!

_The_Shadow
12-10-2011, 11:01
The "ADDITICTION" is real...Nobody can have just one!

It consumes me...Guns, Handloading, Bullet Casting, OH Yea!

SHOOTING! Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* :2gun:

nickE10mm
12-10-2011, 12:35
The "ADDITICTION" is real...Nobody can have just one!

It consumes me...Guns, Handloading, Bullet Casting, OH Yea!

SHOOTING! Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* Bang!* :2gun:

:cool:

Taterhead
12-10-2011, 13:27

Definitely Nick. I have been thinking the same thing.

Our enthusiastic ranks of 10mm enthusiasts is growing, it would seem. I read a post the other day where someone was adverse to getting a 10mm because he had recently heard that factories were going to discontinue manufacturing 10mm ammo. They have been saying that for about 15 years.

nickE10mm
12-10-2011, 13:35
Definitely Nick. I have been thinking the same thing.

Our enthusiastic ranks of 10mm enthusiasts is growing, it would seem. I read a post the other day where someone was adverse to getting a 10mm because he had recently heard that factories were going to discontinue manufacturing 10mm ammo. They have been saying that for about 15 years.

Yep... I remember one of the forum members called Glock Inc and the person they spoke with said that they are most definitely NOT discontinuing the 10mm in EITHER model... Glock said that they sell more and more 10mm's every year and that it obviously wouldn't be a sound business decision to discontinue them.

Glock has done quite a bit for the 10mm simply having the G20 and G29 as models in the lineup. :supergrin:

G29SF
12-10-2011, 14:56

Welcome to the forum.

Whaaat? Blasphemy I tell you!:wow:

The 10mm is a lot like West Nile Virus...once infected it consumes you.:shocked:

Yeah, that is what I was thinking!

I used to have that attitude, to just plink with the low power stuff. Now I don't even bother. Now... when I shoot the 10, I SHOOT THE 10! Full glory and all.

When I just want to plink for cheap, I bring the 9mm or drop in my .40 Short & Weak barrel in my G20SF and shoot WWB.

I recently got some .357 Sig WWB. (I have a .357 Sig barrel also.) Those were especially weak. I am sure it was due to them being WWB and not the caliber. (Don't want to ruffle any .357 Sig lovers' feathers out there!)

_The_Shadow
12-10-2011, 15:36
G29SF, the thing with the necked down cartridges like the 357Sig and the 9x25D is the shorter impulse of the cartridge, even though they hit higher pressure peaks.

You may have noticed the casings dropping out very close by during the ejection.

arushus
12-10-2011, 16:38
I use my .40sw barrel in my 20sf also when i feel like shooting weak loads or just plinking...tulammo is especially weak .40 cal ammo, there is a noticeable difference between it and WWB.
So the .357sig round doesnt feel as powerful to you as the same brand of .40sw?

MinervaDoe
12-10-2011, 21:37
Just got my brand spankin' new Heinies self-installed on my G20SF. Man, lovin' these sights..... Long live the 10!!

[/URL]
[URL="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/img4038kt.jpg/"] (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/img4037v.jpg/)
Nice looking sights. Could you please post a link to a seller?
Did you have to replace the front sight too?

the iceman
12-10-2011, 22:38
I am off and on. I have taken a long 18 month break from shooting and just now starting to feel it again. I mainly just want to shoot my 10mm and AR15.

Thanks for having my around.

Opie 1 Kenopie
12-11-2011, 01:59
For you two up there considering the 29SF, DO IT!

I picked mine up last spring and it now gets about 90% of the CCW time these days. I can hear the .40s and .45s crying in the safe. It's muffled, but I can hear 'em.

dryfly
12-11-2011, 06:35
Hey Opie.... are you using a pinky mag extension on the 29sf? Which one? I remember reading here somewhere that some are better than others and some that add mag capacity might cause feed issues?

Yeah it didnt take long to want a 29 after buying a 20...about 5 months....

Gotta love NH...Live Free or Die...

uz2bUSMC
12-11-2011, 06:52
Ya Ive noticed the increase too! Seems to be a lot more people talking about the 20&29 over in general glocking, and Im always sure to send them over here. Its a good sign, maybe we'll get cheaper ammo, and more gun and ammo manufacturers!

Over the years I have argued that the 10mm was gaining in popularity and the haters would continue to deny it... but you are right, the increase in the 10 ring and general glocking is enormous compared to a few years ago.

cowboywannabe
12-11-2011, 06:53
face it, the 10mm is the most versitile cartridge without having to hand load. there are commercial loads ranging from just over .40cal power to the bottom range of .41mag power and all in between.

it can be had in the 1911 cult or the Glock cult and if a revolver is the choice the S&W cult as well.

uz2bUSMC
12-11-2011, 07:24
Hey Opie.... are you using a pinky mag extension on the 29sf? Which one? I remember reading here somewhere that some are better than others and some that add mag capacity might cause feed issues?

Yeah it didnt take long to want a 29 after buying a 20...about 5 months....

Gotta love NH...Live Free or Die...

Don't know what he uses, I use the mag extension from pearce (not +1). Quality seems good and it stippled the same as the rest of my 29 so I like it.

glock20c10mm
12-11-2011, 12:50
:dancingbanana: :agree: :dancingbanana:

arushus
12-11-2011, 16:06
What attracted me to 10mm is probably what attracted a few other people also...to be honest I hadnt even heard of 10mm till I started looking into getting a handgun, and when I startedconsidering glocks, I saw the 10mm. I had a buddy, who's dad had just bought him a taurus judge revolver, kinda guy who gets whatever he wants. Well I knew I wanted a gun that was more powerful than his. So I started out wanting the 21, thinking that would do it, since 45acp isnearly equal to 45colt in most standard loadings, but then I started looking at this model 20 chambered in 10mm, what in the hell was 10mm???
Well, my research concluded it was the most powerful chambering available in a Glock, plus, if i didnt like it, I could get conversion barrels for .40sw and 357 sig! I was blown away! Needless to say, when me and my buddy got together to go shoot, his mouth dropped wide open when I let him touch off some 135gr noslers from swampfox:crying:...lol the damn gun nearly jumped out of his hand!!! haha, I was laughing so hard! Me and another guy that was with us have been giving him crap about his limpwristing and girly hold on my gun ever since then...

dryfly
12-11-2011, 16:58
Thanks uz2b...not+1 it would be...