What's the ideal choke for Rem 870 18.5"? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's the ideal choke for Rem 870 18.5"?

sharpshooter
12-09-2011, 22:21
I have a new 870 Express Tactical w/ported tactical choke. Primary purpose is home defense on property where I want the option to shoot slugs from the porch etc if necessary.

Is the Rem tactical ported choke any good? What constriction is it? Should I replace it with a regular choke?

What choke is optimal for 00 buckshot AND slugs? I/C or Modified?

I have a Carlson's Dead Coyote (Full or maybe Extra Full?) choke for hunting coyotes. I'm assuming slugs are not ok in this choke tube?

tenntornado
12-10-2011, 06:33
IMHO the ported choke adds unneccesary length with no real benefit for a HD shotgun.
With that said if it were my gun,I would replace the ported choke with a flush IC while serving HD duty.

aippi
12-10-2011, 09:53
We fondly call that the "Remington Extending Tactical Joke". Get that mess off your weapon and install an I/C tube.

That mess does nothing but add length to your weapon. If it resluts in horrible patterns at distance and slugs just wobble out the end. Loose it fast.

fasteddie565
12-11-2011, 08:29
I shoot a modified choke from my 870 and M4 with tremendous results (From the gun anyway) :embarassed:

Z71bill
12-11-2011, 09:15
Seems like most Remington 18.5 inch barrels just have the cylinder bore "choke" - which is basically an open bore.

Can no choke be considered a choke? :dunno:

I shoot slugs with my 18.5 inch cylinder bore barrel out to 50 yards and have no problem hitting man sized targets COM.

A choke restricts the shot - trying to control the pattern.

Remington explains it better than I can - scroll down and see the different % of shot inside a 30" circle with various chokes.

http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun-parts/choke-tubes/probore-choke-tubes.aspx

No reason to want a choke on a slug round -so if you have a barrel that requires a choke - IC would be the best - modified would be OK - you can use full choke but I wouldn't, the X full chokes are not to be used with slugs.

For inside the home use with buckshot - which choke you use DOESN'T REALLY MATTER.

The result will be the same - x full to open bore and every thing in between - at 15 feet with 00 buck = dead bad guy.

The Remington tactical choke is good for one thing for sure - making the gun look stupid.

I would cut the ported end off this thing and grind it smooth.

http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun-parts/choke-tubes/remington-tac-choke-tube.aspx

jhooten
12-11-2011, 20:23
Why does Remington put IC in all of their "defensive" shotguns but put on the Remington Buckshot boxes "Best if shot in full choke"?

method
12-12-2011, 03:06
Why does Remington put IC in all of their "defensive" shotguns but put on the Remington Buckshot boxes "Best if shot in full choke"?

Because full choke will theoretically give the tightest (best) patterns with buckshot, but probably not do real well with slugs. IC should give satisfactory buck patterns, and do well with slugs.

I've had good results with a modified tube in my 20" 870, for what it's worth. Throws tighter buck patterns than IC (an honest 40 yard gun with Federal FC), and does well with slugs.

jhooten
12-12-2011, 08:08
But, isn't the purpose of buckshot to rapidly spread so you can clear a room or just point in the general direction of a threat and still be able to hit it?

Tongue firmly planted in cheek.