First SBR build [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First SBR build

KK40384
12-10-2011, 08:06
While anxiously waiting for my form 1 to return from the BATF, I'm putting together a parts list for the build. Just wondering if there's anything in particular I need to have for a 10.5" to run reliably. Any input is appreciated.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

WoodenPlank
12-10-2011, 08:13
While anxiously waiting for my form 1 to return from the BATF, I'm putting together a parts list for the build. Just wondering if there's anything in particular I need to have for a 10.5" to run reliably. Any input is appreciated.

Having the 10.5" barrel in your possession, with either a complete AR or the parts to build one in your possession at the same time is "intent to construct" in the eyes of the ATF, and a huge no-no. I'd suggest avoiding doing this, unless you have a pistol AR lower for your SBR upper to call home in the meantime.

Outside of that, a lot depends on the gas port. I went with an LMT 10.5" upper for my SBR, and it has been flawless with anything but the weakest of .223 spec ammo. Some guns are over-gassed, and will run with anything, but at the cost of battering. Some are under-gassed, and will only really run reliably with 5.56 milspec ammo, or with a suppressor. In the latter case, you can use a Noveske KX3 to help with any cycling problems.

I run a KX3 on my 10.5" anyway, just to cut down on the rather horrible muzzle blast you can get from a 10.5" SBR with a brake, and to help with the cycling issues when running crappy .223 ammo. Tula was the main culprit for me - it would only run reliably once the chamber and bolt got hot. Wolf 5.56, Lake City, Hornady, etc all ran fine.

Glockdude1
12-10-2011, 08:14
Having the 10.5" barrel in your possession, with either a complete AR or the parts to build one in your possession at the same time is "intent to construct" in the eyes of the ATF, and a huge no-no. I'd suggest avoiding doing this, unless you have a pistol AR lower for your SBR upper to call home in the meantime.

He said he had a parts list, not the parts.

:cool:

WoodenPlank
12-10-2011, 08:25
He said he had a parts list, not the parts.

:cool:

Still something the OP should keep in mind. :whistling:

DustyJacket
12-10-2011, 08:27
Too late now for the OP, but I would rather get an AR pistol and get everying running well.

Then when the Form 1 comes back just buy the stock and carbine tube.

KK40384
12-10-2011, 10:07
I wasn't planning on ordering the barrel till I had the form 1 back. I don't want black choppers landing in my front yard anytime soon.

The pistol idea isn't a bad one but too late now. Should have thought of that earlier.

Glockdude1
12-10-2011, 10:08
I wasn't planning on ordering the barrel till I had the form 1 back. I don't want black choppers landing in my front yard anytime soon.

The pistol idea isn't a bad one but too late now. Should have thought of that earlier.

Nothing wrong with buying more firearms!!

:supergrin:

KK40384
12-10-2011, 13:55
Nothing wrong with buying more firearms!!

I agree but tell that to my bank account and other half.

Glockdude1
12-10-2011, 14:02
I agree but tell that to my bank account and other half.

Other half.

Just do like the rest of us when the misses sees a un-familur firearm.

Wife: "When did you buy that one?"

You: "That old thing? I have had since before we met. It's been in the back of the safe......"

JGguns
12-13-2011, 16:40
I run a spikes 10.5" and so far it's been flawless and 95% of ammo used was/is silver bear.

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/JuddG/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_8866.jpg

Eurodriver
12-13-2011, 17:01
SWIM had a whole bunch of SBR uppers at his house before his Form 1 was approved.

Are you dealing drugs? Do you have reason for the BATFE to come into your house looking for SBRs? Are you expecting police action taken against you any time soon?

Bushflyr
12-13-2011, 17:36
Having the 10.5" barrel in your possession, with either a complete AR or the parts to build one in your possession at the same time is "intent to construct" in the eyes of the ATF, and a huge no-no.

This crap is straight up interwebz paranoia.

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tin-foil-hat.jpg

OP: You're just going to have to put your stuff together and see if it runs. Don't forget to run it dripping wet in the beginning. It'll either go or it wont. If yes, great. If no, start diagnosing. FWIW, the KX3 does a flat out wonderful job of directing the blast down range. Really alleviates the "punch in the sinus" feeling you get with some other devices.

WoodenPlank
12-13-2011, 18:04
This crap is straight up interwebz paranoia.

OP: You're just going to have to put your stuff together and see if it runs. Don't forget to run it dripping wet in the beginning. It'll either go or it wont. If yes, great. If no, start diagnosing. FWIW, the KX3 does a flat out wonderful job of directing the blast down range. Really alleviates the "punch in the sinus" feeling you get with some other devices.

Is it something likely to happen? Hell no. Does it hurt to cover your butt anyway? Nope. I value my career and freedom way too much to chance even the odds of getting caught in an "intent to construct" situation.

Otherwise, I will second the KX3. I went from an MB556k Surefire brake to a KX3, and shooting stopped sucking for anyone around me with the KX3. The Surefire did make it handy for cleaning out the local rifle range, though. :rofl:

KK40384
12-14-2011, 16:08
What do you guys think about the PSA 10.5"? I was looking around and as much as I want a noveske barrel they are too much. Maybe I'll break down and shell out the money for one but if not I'm seriously considering the PSA. Any other good options out there in 1:7?

pag23
12-14-2011, 16:53
I run a spikes 10.5" and so far it's been flawless and 95% of ammo used was/is silver bear.

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/JuddG/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_8866.jpg

What model of Aimpoint is that and how do you like it?? Larue mount?

WoodenPlank
12-14-2011, 17:21
What model of Aimpoint is that and how do you like it?? Larue mount?

Looks like an M2/M3/PRO, and definitely not a LaRue mount. Looks like the Aimpoint factory mount with the knob on the other side.

MrMurphy
12-14-2011, 17:24
No, that's an ARMS, probably a #18. Four to five pieces all hanging together until one decides to defect and the mount catastrophically fails.

Mayhem like Me
12-20-2011, 13:20

Buy a good bolt and BCG also have an H buffer and an H2 to try....

You will want an extrapower spring for you extractor and ejector...
Buy the BEST QUALITY barrel you can afford, my 10.5 has an ADCO 1x7 CHF barrel.

Mayhem like Me
12-20-2011, 13:23
What do you guys think about the PSA 10.5"? I was looking around and as much as I want a noveske barrel they are too much. Maybe I'll break down and shell out the money for one but if not I'm seriously considering the PSA. Any other good options out there in 1:7?

http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.cfm?inventorynumber=4379

this one

smokin762
12-20-2011, 13:30

this one

They have a cool store too. I have been there. I have bought a few things from them. Just small things though.

KK40384
12-20-2011, 15:03

this one

Is that a 1:7 twist? I didn't see twist rate info on any of the DD barrels on their site.

Mayhem like Me
12-21-2011, 07:19
Is that a 1:7 twist? I didn't see twist rate info on any of the DD barrels on their site.

Yes 1x7 it should be listed..

KK40384
12-21-2011, 10:18
Cool. I'd prefer a DD over PSA and the price difference isn't that much. I can live with that.

Mayhem like Me
12-21-2011, 13:42
You will not be sorry!!!!