Gold Dot 124+p [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gold Dot 124+p

backcast88
12-10-2011, 09:21
I am new here and did a lot of searching and came up with some good results but wanted to get some more info on Gold Dot 124 +p in 9mm. I have a West German made Sig 228 I got when my grandpa died in 2003. Its a sweet gun and will chew up any ammo you run through it.

I am getting a G26 Gen 4 at the first of the year. I am assuming that the 124+p will be a good choice for either gun but just wanted to see what you all think.

My other considerations are HST and Ranger series but I have seen some Rangers fail lately and that has turned me off on them a little so I am undecided as to what ammo to use. I guess I can't go wrong with either one so I was looking to see what you all felt was a better option.

JBP55
12-10-2011, 09:37
Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T in 124+P are three excellent choices for your pistols.

unit1069
12-10-2011, 09:40
I don't think I'm going out on a limb by stating that Speer 124-grain Gold Dot +P is the standard by which all other 9mm self-defense JHP rounds are judged. It has a well-documented street record. I plan on buying some with my next ammo purchase.

glockurai
12-10-2011, 09:45
The GD 124gr +p is a great round, you can't go wrong.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

backcast88
12-10-2011, 09:51
I figured I couldn't got wrong with either one of them but I am leaning towards the Gold Dots over the Federal. Not sure why since they are both high quality and reliable rounds.

My buddy suggested Golden Saber Bonded but I have had some issues with Remington quality control lately so I an very hesistat to give them a try.

cowboy1964
12-10-2011, 10:44
Gold Dot 124+P is my top choice. Bonus points for working well in every 9mm I have, all the way down to the 3" PM9. Relatively easy to find too compared to others (like the Golden Saber Bonded).

Tiro Fijo
12-10-2011, 10:58
Great round. Just remember the secret to shooting a SIG: run them wet!! LOTS of lube on the rails. Never shoot one that is dry. :cool:

Warp
12-10-2011, 12:17
I am new here and did a lot of searching and came up with some good results but wanted to get some more info on Gold Dot 124 +p in 9mm. I have a West German made Sig 228 I got when my grandpa died in 2003. Its a sweet gun and will chew up any ammo you run through it.

I am getting a G26 Gen 4 at the first of the year. I am assuming that the 124+p will be a good choice for either gun but just wanted to see what you all think.

My other considerations are HST and Ranger series but I have seen some Rangers fail lately and that has turned me off on them a little so I am undecided as to what ammo to use. I guess I can't go wrong with either one so I was looking to see what you all felt was a better option.

One of the single most popular rounds available, across all calibers.

I am a big fan of Gold Dot. I like Ranger but not so much recently as I have had three separate quality control issues with it. And Winchester doesn't seem to care as they never responded to my email (with pictures included)

unit1069
12-10-2011, 16:23
My buddy suggested Golden Saber Bonded but I have had some issues with Remington quality control lately so I an very hesistat to give them a try.

When I owned my Steyr M9-A1 I carried Remington 124-grain Golden Saber +P, the ammo that exhibited the best shooting characteristics of all the premium JHP self-defense ammos I tried through that gun. I did become uneasy with all the reports of core/jacket separation with Golden Saber, and when I traded that pistol off for the Steyr S9-A1 I decided to use a different carry ammo.

I have read that the bonded Golden Saber is an outstanding round and along with the 124-grain Gold Dot +P mentioned earlier I also hope to pick up the GS Bonded in both 9mm and .357sig. I have no qualms about Golden Saber quality, only the documented, relatively high incidents of core/jacket separation.

backcast88
12-10-2011, 17:14
When I owned my Steyr M9-A1 I carried Remington 124-grain Golden Saber +P, the ammo that exhibited the best shooting characteristics of all the premium JHP self-defense ammos I tried through that gun. I did become uneasy with all the reports of core/jacket separation with Golden Saber, and when I traded that pistol off for the Steyr S9-A1 I decided to use a different carry ammo.

I have read that the bonded Golden Saber is an outstanding round and along with the 124-grain Gold Dot +P mentioned earlier I also hope to pick up the GS Bonded in both 9mm and .357sig. I have no qualms about Golden Saber quality, only the documented, relatively high incidents of core/jacket separation.
I have seen and heard of the regular Golden Saber's loosing their jackets and I am not a huge fan of that. Yes the Bonded ones seem to have fixed that problem but I have had too many Remington bullets go click or shoot poorly in the past couple years from various firearms so I am having a hard time spending money on any Remington's right now.

After doing some more research I am rather impressed with Federal HST 147+p. How do you think they would perform from out of a G26 and my 228?

up1911fan
12-10-2011, 17:44
In 9mm I carry either Win 127gr +p+ Rangers or the 124gr +p Gold Dots. Both are great loads with a proven track record in the real world.

unit1069
12-11-2011, 09:21
I have seen and heard of the regular Golden Saber's loosing their jackets and I am not a huge fan of that. Yes the Bonded ones seem to have fixed that problem but I have had too many Remington bullets go click or shoot poorly in the past couple years from various firearms so I am having a hard time spending money on any Remington's right now.

Was it the Remington FMJ range ammo that failed to fire, or the Golden Saber? I've never had any problems with any Remington ammo but have read that the green/white box ammo doesn't have a primer sealant or waterproofing.

After doing some more research I am rather impressed with Federal HST 147+p. How do you think they would perform from out of a G26 and my 228?

I favor lighter bullets for 9mm so I can't help you with this, but I do know that those who favor 147-grain self-defense rounds say the 147-grain standard pressure HST is every bit as good as the +P versions of every other round using that weight bullet.

SCmasterblaster
12-11-2011, 09:55
I use the WW 115gr JHP +p+ load in my G17. It reaches 1400 FPS(!)

backcast88
12-11-2011, 12:16
Was it the Remington FMJ range ammo that failed to fire, or the Golden Saber? I've never had any problems with any Remington ammo but have read that the green/white box ammo doesn't have a primer sealant or waterproofing.

I have had not had any Golden Sabers fail to fire. Several FMJ range rounds, center fire rifle ammo and a couple shotgun shells have failed to fire. Plus the center fire rifle ammo was shooting nearly 2" groups at 100 yards when every other ammo shoots 3/4".

I should probably be open to Remington but the last couple years have shown me that the quality control has gone down a little and I have a hard time spending my money on Remington ammo right now.

glock2740
12-11-2011, 13:22
Huge fan of 124+P Gold Dots in all of my 9mm's. I also like Ranger T's in 127+P+ and 147gr as well.

SouthernBoyVA
12-11-2011, 14:31
Over the past month I have bought 200 rounds of Gold Dot 9mm 124gr +P (#53617) for really low prices. They are currently going for $20.56 per 50-round box.

unit1069
12-11-2011, 16:08
Over the past month I have bought 200 rounds of Gold Dot 9mm 124gr +P (#53617) for really low prices. They are currently going for $20.56 per 50-round box.

That's a good price and I'll be looking for them on my next ammo purchase.

SouthernBoyVA
12-11-2011, 18:19
That's a good price and I'll be looking for them on my next ammo purchase.

Ordered from MidwestHuntersOutlet.com. Here's a link to the product in question;

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item/377497_CCI_Ammunition_CCI_9MM_P_124GR_JHP.aspx