New M&P 15 Sport...WOW! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New M&P 15 Sport...WOW!

TangoFoxtrot
12-10-2011, 16:03
Just brought her home today. What a good value for the money. I've handled the M4 /AR platform for 22 years in the service and I must say I'm impressed...so far! I haven't had it out to the range yet. It ran $610 out the door and the owner threw in an Ergo tactical grip for $10 and a free box of ammo. Ya can't complain about that deal.:supergrin:

JaPes
12-10-2011, 16:07
Congrats!

I just picked up one myself. :)

TangoFoxtrot
12-10-2011, 16:17
What do you think JaPes? Have ya had it out to the range yet?

TunaFisherman
12-10-2011, 16:54
I think for the price its the best deal out there.
I have heard some people complain about no dust cover and FWD assist,,really...? in my opinion that stuff isnt needed for my kind of shooting.

RRrider
12-10-2011, 17:07
I think for the price its the best deal out there.
I have heard some people complain about no dust cover and FWD assist,,really...? in my opinion that stuff isnt needed for my kind of shooting.

Agreed.

A great value and a perfect range gun.

TangoFoxtrot
12-10-2011, 19:50
This is a quote I borrowed from another site and this gentleman was dead on and I feel the same way,
It is a very basic carbine.

QUOTE: For persons who absolutely are price oriented but still do want to have an AR to 'plink' with.
This is IMHO the gun that the vast majority of Americans actually want/should have.

No extras that they very likely will never use nor have need for.

No SWAT or GI-JOE add-ons for the mall ninjas and those who imagine themself as going to fight terrorists at the mall or among foreign lands.
What do you need a dust cover for when the cover is always open as when in use AND the vast majority of shooters are doing so on public ranges in lanes shooting off of benches or off-hand and not swimming belly down under concertina wire with their gun forward or dragged behind?
The cover is closed while being stored in the average persons gun safe or closet...Against cob webs not jungle dust & dirt.

No garbage adding largely unnecessary weight such as hey look I'm cool just like everybody else rails to put nothing on but rail covers and maybe a light that never gets used because most public ranges are closed at night (outdoor) and those that are indoor are illuminated and do not allow handling of guns with the lights out.

Standard sights that are just fine even as they are not name branded and thus up-priced by some third party vendor (as things had been for decades prior to the late '90s!) so that the shooter can actually learn and practice iron sighting fundamentals.
They don't fold down either because that just adds additional not absolutely necessary for a civilians range use expense.

Also this beats those build it yourself priced packages out there as the gun comes fully assembled with a lifetime warranty, and a magazine.

The 'Sport' is a common mans rifle priced for the common man outfitted for the _common man_, who has not convinced himself that he needs a sighting system that is equal to or greater than the cost of the rifle itself (ACOG, Elcan Specter, etc.) in order to hit a static (!) target at an average indoor or outdoor range.
Also for those among the majority who pretty much never shoot their gun but just leave it behind a door or locked in a safe they willbe able tohave and say to their friends they have an 'AR' without having tied up a thousand or more bucks into same.

With a retail of $709 (and nobody but fools pay MSRP), I'd expect to see this gun running near $600 street.
That is where things should be.

For those who reeeally feel they need to have a dust cover they can add one, or choose to upgrde to the full tacti-cool 'VTAC' model for $1,989 retail.

bmoore
12-10-2011, 20:41
This is a quote I borrowed from another site and this gentleman was dead on and I feel the same way,
It is a very basic carbine.

QUOTE: For persons who absolutely are price oriented but still do want to have an AR to 'plink' with.
This is IMHO the gun that the vast majority of Americans actually want/should have.

No extras that they very likely will never use nor have need for.

No SWAT or GI-JOE add-ons for the mall ninjas and those who imagine themself as going to fight terrorists at the mall or among foreign lands.
What do you need a dust cover for when the cover is always open as when in use AND the vast majority of shooters are doing so on public ranges in lanes shooting off of benches or off-hand and not swimming belly down under concertina wire with their gun forward or dragged behind?
The cover is closed while being stored in the average persons gun safe or closet...Against cob webs not jungle dust & dirt.

No garbage adding largely unnecessary weight such as hey look I'm cool just like everybody else rails to put nothing on but rail covers and maybe a light that never gets used because most public ranges are closed at night (outdoor) and those that are indoor are illuminated and do not allow handling of guns with the lights out.

Standard sights that are just fine even as they are not name branded and thus up-priced by some third party vendor (as things had been for decades prior to the late '90s!) so that the shooter can actually learn and practice iron sighting fundamentals.
They don't fold down either because that just adds additional not absolutely necessary for a civilians range use expense.

Also this beats those build it yourself priced packages out there as the gun comes fully assembled with a lifetime warranty, and a magazine.

The 'Sport' is a common mans rifle priced for the common man outfitted for the _common man_, who has not convinced himself that he needs a sighting system that is equal to or greater than the cost of the rifle itself (ACOG, Elcan Specter, etc.) in order to hit a static (!) target at an average indoor or outdoor range.
Also for those among the majority who pretty much never shoot their gun but just leave it behind a door or locked in a safe they willbe able tohave and say to their friends they have an 'AR' without having tied up a thousand or more bucks into same.

With a retail of $709 (and nobody but fools pay MSRP), I'd expect to see this gun running near $600 street.
That is where things should be.

For those who reeeally feel they need to have a dust cover they can add one, or choose to upgrde to the full tacti-cool 'VTAC' model for $1,989 retail.

Thats a really good little write up. Thats gonna irritate some people here for sure, lots of folks in the AR community have talked themselves into thinking their rifles are fighting rifles. The waters get real muddy when it comes down to actually being in real gun fights though.

JaPes
12-10-2011, 23:01
What do you think JaPes? Have ya had it out to the range yet?

I picked it up a few days ago. Between work & holiday B.S., I haven't been to the range in a month. I hope to go before New Year's. :crying:

The M&P 15-Sport is my first 5.56 AR. I did my research into the AR platform, and the seemingly endless combination of construction, parts, operation, & furniture.

At first, I wanted chrome this & that, gas-piston, mid-length, front quad rail, and all the tactical add-ons. I was getting revved up. I wanted have one that looked like the ones the MagPul instructors have in the DVD.

Then I took a look at my M&P 15-22:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/SW%20MP%2015%2022/IMG_0253-1-1.jpg

What the hell did I do with that front quad rail? I put on rubber covers because the rail was uncomfortable to hold onto. I slapped on a Magpul AFG. I'm still not convinced it really does anything for me.

I didn't have any issues not having a dust-cover. The one time the bolt didn't seat fully into battery, I nudged it forward with my finger.

I thought about how, why, where I would use an AR, and for what purpose. I need one for the range, home defense, and a general purpose semi-auto rifle. Why pay for features & capability that I will never use?

The S&W M&P 15-Sport makes sense in context of my needs (not wants). I also compared complete AR's from a couple other manufacturers within the same price range, and still chose the S&W M&P 15-Sport.

So far I've field stripped it, cleaned it, and gave it a thorough look over. There is chrome plating where it's needed. Melonite everywhere else. I was pleasantly surprised to see good M4 feed ramps.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/SW%20MP%2015%20Sport/IMG_0261-1.jpg

I set up exterior furniture based upon my experience with the 15-22.

1.) Magpul MOE butt stock & enhanced butt pad. On the 15-Sport, I'm not going to put on the cheek riser. The cheek riser interferes with the operation of the charging handle when the stock is fully collapsed.

2.) Magpul MAID grip. I like the feel. I also get a kick out of the 3 rounds I can store in the grip compartment.

3.) Magpul MOE hand guard. The shape of the Magpul hand guard feels better in my hand. It also has a heat shield whereas the stock does not.

I honestly like the stock sights. I want to mount an optic, but not break the bank. I'm most likely going to order a Primary Arms M3 red dot with a high cantilever mount.

What I like the most? The lifetime factory S&W warranty.

raven11
12-10-2011, 23:07
WHAT YOU DIDN'T GET A BCM MIDDY!!!!

just kidding OP, I owned a S&W Optics Ready, it was a well built rifle and was easy to work on. I would own another if the Sport could be found around here for less that $700

JaPes
12-10-2011, 23:20
WHAT YOU DIDN'T GET A BCM MIDDY!!!!

just kidding OP, I owned a S&W Optics Ready, it was a well built rifle and was easy to work on. I would own another if the Sport could be found around here for less that $700

I paid $615.99 OTD for mine.

boomhower
12-11-2011, 03:52
A buddy of mine uses one for a duty rifle and other than the rear sight it hasn't given him any issues. Even for his uses a dust cover and forward assist are pointless. If I ever do a custom upper it will have a slick sided upper sans forward assist.

WoodenPlank
12-11-2011, 07:01
The lack of a FA on the sport doesn't bother me - that's what the divot on the side of the BCG is there for. Too many people whack the crap out of the FA when the bolt doesn't go into battery (often without looking first), which often makes the problem worse.

JaPes
12-11-2011, 08:08
What I like about the AR platform, in general, is that there are so many options for every taste. Build one on your own or buy a complete AR. It can go from mild to wild.

TangoFoxtrot
12-11-2011, 09:23
Thats a really good little write up. Thats gonna irritate some people here for sure, lots of folks in the AR community have talked themselves into thinking their rifles are fighting rifles. The waters get real muddy when it comes down to actually being in real gun fights though.

Oh well my friend, the truth be the truth. Most have never been in an actual firefight so they actually don't know whether they can operate all the gadgets on their rifles.

Made Man
12-11-2011, 10:44
TFoxTrot,

Congrats on your purchase, I am very pleased with mine. I've tweaked it a tad bit.

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad358/BlacChev/DSCN4456.jpg

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad358/BlacChev/DSCN4462.jpg

TangoFoxtrot
12-11-2011, 17:57
The lack of a FA on the sport doesn't bother me - that's what the divot on the side of the BCG is there for. Too many people whack the crap out of the FA when the bolt doesn't go into battery (often without looking first), which often makes the problem worse.

Exactly! I couldn't have said it better!

TFoxTrot,

Congrats on your purchase, I am very pleased with mine. I've tweaked it a tad bit.

Nice!!!!:supergrin:

pilsbury
12-11-2011, 18:58
Congrats, I agree with everyone else, this is by far far the best deal going.

Darkangel1846
12-11-2011, 22:17
TFoxTrot,

Why do you hae those guns pointed at your crotch while you take a photo of them?????:rofl:

Made Man
12-11-2011, 22:19
Why do you hae those guns pointed at your crotch while you take a photo of them?????:rofl:

I guess it would appear that way, hahaha.

TangoFoxtrot
12-12-2011, 08:55
That is a nice sling Made Man what is it? That looks bad***!

Made Man
12-12-2011, 09:27
That is a nice sling Made Man what is it? That looks bad***!

Thanks! It's a padded Vickers VCAS.

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad358/BlacChev/DSCN4463.jpg

This is the photo that sold me on it, done a little research before I made my purchase. I'm real happy with it. Photo courtesy of USMC03 from GT.

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad358/BlacChev/ARSling.jpg

TangoFoxtrot
12-12-2011, 21:36
Thanks for the info. Made Man.