First AR malfunction [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First AR malfunction

Glock13
12-10-2011, 17:20
Gents,

Was at the range today. Only the second time with my AR. My friend was shooting it just before we were about to leave and the charging handle came apart. I have attached a picture of the two pieces that came off. Not sure how this happened. I have only stripped and cleaned it once (after the first time I shot), so it could have been my error when reassembling it. We shot about 100 rounds through it before this happened. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Any ideas on the cause?

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/Glock1313/BCM%20AR-15/ARCH.jpg

GSSF17
12-10-2011, 17:29
Ahh yes, the BCM gunfighter charging handle. A couple things coulda went wrong here. I venture to say the gunfighter latch was put (poorly) on a standard charging handle? Was this on the weapon when you purchased it?

MrMurphy
12-10-2011, 17:33
Contact BCM directly.

Paul will take care of the matter.

jrs93accord
12-10-2011, 17:36
Did you disassemble the charging handle when you cleaned it? If so, why?

Since the pin is still mounted in the latch, I would sumise that the pin never made it into the hole in the charging handle. Otherwise, it would have never fallen apart. You need to punch out the pin, place the spring back in its proper location, line up the holes in the latch with that of the charging handle, and tap the pin back in.

Glock13
12-10-2011, 17:38
The gunfighter charging handle came with the gun, fully assembled. No, I didn't take it apart when I cleaned it. Should I just send it back or put it back togethe like jrs said?

faawrenchbndr
12-10-2011, 17:42
Contact BCM,......they WILL take care of this. If it somehow breaks when
you are trying to reassemble, then you are on your own.

bmoore
12-10-2011, 17:43
I would call them/send it back, I am sure they will make it right. My BCM gunfighter charging handles have been fantastic, but it just goes to show you that EVERY company has some problems along the way.......even the god like BCM.

Glock13
12-10-2011, 17:51
Sounds good. Thanks again for all the quick replies. I will send it back to them!

On another note, looking at the other side of the pin, it looks like it sheared right off. I can see it is mangled in the hole.

faawrenchbndr
12-10-2011, 17:52
BCM and many of the other companies make fine products.
However a 13 cent roll pin can and will screw up your day.

Glock13
12-10-2011, 17:55
BCM and many of the other companies make fine products.
However a 13 cent roll pin can and will screw up your day.

+1...thankfully it was right at the end of the shooting day!

Jack Black
12-10-2011, 18:03
Don't call BCM, send them an email. They're not very good with the phone, but they will respond to your email.

surf
12-10-2011, 18:26
Can you show a picture of the charging handle and the other side of the latch?

Spiffums
12-10-2011, 18:51
Just curious about the make of the gun. Is it a BCM or did someone just "Customize" a Del-Ton and out the GF onit.

Glock13
12-10-2011, 18:52
Just curious about the make of the gun. Is it a BCM or did someone just "Customize" a Del-Ton and out the GF onit.

BCM EAG Tactical

Glock13
12-10-2011, 19:02
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/Glock1313/BCM%20AR-15/CH1.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/Glock1313/BCM%20AR-15/CH2.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/Glock1313/BCM%20AR-15/CH3.jpg

GSSF17
12-10-2011, 21:38
BCM EAG Tactical

Thanks for the info and updated pics. Reason I asked what I did was that I have seen some hack jobs, where someone adds a gunfighter or similar latch to a standard handle. Just making sure that was a complete BCM unit, and your pics certainly prove that. BCM will take care of it for you quickly, I predict. Good luck.

ColdBlooded
12-10-2011, 22:12
Uh oh. That sucks, but if/when I have an AR part break, I hope it is from BCM. They will take care of it.

Bushflyr
12-11-2011, 00:13
Meh, not even worth sending it back. That roll pin looks a little jacked. Get another one and install it right. Done. It's going to cost you more in shipping and down time than sending it back is worth.

MrMurphy
12-11-2011, 00:22
Do you honestly think BCM is going to CHARGE someone for fixing that?

Odds are an RMA, replacement and box will be on the way an hour from when he tells them.

Glock13
12-11-2011, 00:39
Do you honestly think BCM is going to CHARGE someone for fixing that?

Odds are an RMA, replacement and box will be on the way an hour from when he tells them.

From my limited experience with them and what I have heard from others, you are most likely right.

Ghost46
12-11-2011, 09:42
BCM has great CS and will take care of that no charge.

surf
12-11-2011, 13:49
I must admit that if the story is correct (not doubting) that would be the absolute first time I have ever seen or heard of that type of failure from a Gunfighter handle. I also work on or modify the the GF quite often. The only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the roll pin was installed too shallow on one side. A very simple fix, but sucks non the less.

I am quite sure BCM will take care of the issue but if you can pick up a new roll pin for a few pennies locally, this video would shows how I modify the GF but also shows how to reassemble the handle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tMfMXZoTJ4&feature=channel_video_title

Glock13
12-11-2011, 14:30
I must admit that if the story is correct (not doubting) that would be the absolute first time I have ever seen or heard of that type of failure from a Gunfighter handle. I also work on or modify the the GF quite often. The only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the roll pin was installed too shallow on one side. A very simple fix, but sucks non the less.

I am quite sure BCM will take care of the issue but if you can pick up a new roll pin for a few pennies locally, this video would shows how I modify the GF but also shows how to reassemble the handle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tMfMXZoTJ4&feature=channel_video_title

Never heard of it either. I am no AR expert by any means. My friend was shooting it at the time. Is there any way that this could have happened just by normal shooting? I don't have enough experience to know. I was in the next stall with the G27 and my friend came up and said, "this just fell out" and was holding the spring. He said he saw another part fly out too. We looked in front of the stall at the next stoppage and found the lever.

Glock13
12-12-2011, 15:18
Erased.

Disregarded9-side
12-12-2011, 17:23
BCM products do not malfunction, you malfunction.

Your's must be a fake (and replaced with an authentic BCM middy).

faawrenchbndr
12-12-2011, 17:31

:rofl:

:honkie:

bmoore
12-12-2011, 18:22

Get a BCM middy and be done with it.

marvin
12-13-2011, 00:04
Meh, not even worth sending it back. That roll pin looks a little jacked. Get another one and install it right. Done. It's going to cost you more in shipping and down time than sending it back is worth.

this is what i'd do.

i had a charging come apart on me to (not a BCM). and while it sucks it is a very easy fix, a local gun shop had the right roll pin so they just gave me a couple no charge.

it's just not worth the time to send it back