Hollywood gunman shoots at passing cars [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood gunman shoots at passing cars

Sharky7
12-10-2011, 18:14
Sounds pretty nuts. Guy gets dumped by girlfriend so walks around shooting at random. Any details from the Hollywood guys?

----------------------------------------
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/12/hollywood-shooters-ex-girlfriend-breakup-may-have-led-to-shooting.html

Video of incident as well in link.

http://images.ninemsn.com.au/resizer.aspx?url=http://news.ninemsn.com.au/img/2011/world/1112_Hollywood_a.jpg&width=310
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8387871/police-kill-gunman-shooting-at-cars-in-hollywood

RyanNREMTP
12-10-2011, 18:46
Makes you wonder what the world is coming to. A person can take a simple break up.

Ajon412
12-10-2011, 18:48
Thank goodness no one was injured because of this knucklehead......Again, no great loss....

Patchman
12-10-2011, 18:57
Sunset & Vine? The shooter must have thought he was part of a movie production and after getting shot by responding LEOs (all part of the script), the director would yell "Cut. Print." and he'd get up and go back to makeup.

Oooops, but somebody wrote him out of the script for good.

steveksux
12-10-2011, 19:19
Sounds like he didn't hit anybody... Can the police actually shoot him if he's only firing warning shots??? :whistling:

Seriously though, I'm surprised nobody ran him over. Standing in the middle of the street shooting at people, kind of vulnerable out there.

Randy

Ajon412
12-10-2011, 20:44
KTLA reported that Brehm's Facebook page revealed he ended a relationship four days ago. On his page, he listed knowledge, friendship, family, money, success and "things that go fast" among his interests.

Knowledge?.....Really...I guess he knew that if he continued to shoot at passing cars, he'd eventually get SHOT by the Po-lice....:dunno:...You just can't make this stuff up......

MeefZah
12-10-2011, 21:56
"Kill me ... I'm gonna die!"

Okie dokie.

michpatriot
12-10-2011, 21:59
One motorist was hit in the jaw reports are now saying...
Boy gun control really is helping in Kalifornia after all...:whistling:
One legally armed citizen could have ended this quicker than waitin on the cops to come...

SAR
12-10-2011, 23:34
One legally armed citizen could have ended this quicker than waitin on the cops to come...

Strongly disagree. There were several officers in the vicinity when the shooting started. If a citizen was there and could not be immediately identified it would have been much much worse. This is not one of those instances where time was wasted waiting for the police to arrive. We were already here. It just took awhile to catch up to him.

SAR
12-11-2011, 00:13
One of the biggest WTF moments came about an hour and a half later... I had one of the witnesses transported to the station to be interviewed by detectives. When they started asking him what happened, he casually reveals, "Oh by the way, I got shot in the leg.." :shocked:

Like when were you gonna tell us buddy? :rofl:

michpatriot
12-11-2011, 00:13
Strongly disagree. There were several officers in the vicinity when the shooting started. If a citizen was there and could not be immediately identified it would have been much much worse. This is not one of those instances where time was wasted waiting for the police to arrive. We were already here. It just took awhile to catch up to him.
In the time it took for the person to take the video it could have been over...I did not see any police in the video... but they might have been just out of frame, but even if they were 3 blocks away and one citizen was armed while driving by or within reasonable engagement distance... I guess I dont understand your argument...Would you also discourage a off duty officer from engaging based on the officer not being in uniform and being mistaken for the actual shooter. I realize what you are getting at but respectfully disagree. I feel someone could possibly look at the circumstance with the same eyes as a off duty realizing the danger to oneself while engaging the active shooter as it relates to being mistaken for one of the perps, take the situation in visually to see if there are officers in the vicinity, take shots and lay down your weapon and call it in. All of this theroetically in about five seconds give or take. I am not saying that a citizen doing all the right things still couldnt get shot by law enforcement in this situation, but there is a very real chance that with proper situational awareness a citizen could have ended it before the nearest radio even sqwaked. We wont even get into the legal aftermath possibilities...human life is precious.. sometimes you have to rely on your self alone, and in that split second make a decision that could kill you or rectify a horror, or both but to just stand there and do nothing...

SAR
12-11-2011, 00:24
In the time it took for the person to take the video it could have been over...I did not see any police in the video... but they might have been just out of frame, but even if they were 3 blocks away and one citizen was armed while driving by or within reasonable engagement distance... I guess I dont understand your argument...Would you also discourage a off duty officer from engaging based on the officer not being in uniform and being mistaken for the actual shooter. I realize what you are getting at but respectfully disagree. I feel someone could possibly look at the circumstance with the same eyes as a off duty realizing the danger to oneself while engaging the active shooter as it relates to being mistaken for one of the perps, take the situation in visually to see if there are officers in the vicinity, take shots and lay down your weapon and call it in. All of this theroetically in about five seconds give or take. I am not saying that a citizen doing all the right things still couldnt get shot by law enforcement in this situation, but there is a very real chance that with proper situational awareness a citizen could have ended it before the nearest radio even sqwaked. We wont even get into the legal aftermath possibilities...human life is precious.. sometimes you have to rely on your self alone, and in that split second make a decision that could kill you or rectify a horror, or both but to just stand there and do nothing...

Here's the deal... *I was there.* One of the shooters was a plainclothes detective. Some of the uniforms didn't recognize him. It was quite chaotic and without any type of identification, it could have gotten bad-- I don't feel comfortable telling the whole thing, and in truth, I can't yet... but feel free to disagree and armchair quarterback all you want. I still say that in this instance an armed citizen coming out of nowhere would have just created more of a problem. There were plenty of police there. It happened two block from the station. Within a minute, at least 40 officers were on scene.

DoogieHowser
12-11-2011, 01:03
Thanks SAR to you and all your mates.

Patchman
12-11-2011, 05:35

This is assuming that the armed citizen was (1) in exactly the right spot to act AND (2) the armed citizen was willing to use his/her gun.

Assumption number 1 is based on random probability. Totally random probability.

Assumption number 2 is unlikely as most CCWers will not act unless the threat is directed directly at them. In this instance, each motorist that drove pass the gunman was threatened directly but did nothing. Each had a 3500 to 5000 lb guided projectile at their disposal, which they choose not to use.

Kudos to LAPD.

p.d.
12-11-2011, 06:31
One of the biggest WTF moments came about an hour and a half later... I had one of the witnesses transported to the station to be interviewed by detectives. When they started asking him what happened, he casually reveals, "Oh by the way, I got shot in the leg.." :shocked:

Hey, some people don't cry and whine about every little thing. :rofl:

lawman800
12-11-2011, 06:59

It was probably a 9mm and he was going to just walk it off...:whistling:

OfficerChris
12-11-2011, 07:04
It was probably a 9mm and he was going to just walk it off...:whistling:

did we drive past there during my vacation?

lawman800
12-11-2011, 07:11
Yes we did, that one late night when we cruised Hollywood.

OfficerChris
12-11-2011, 07:14
oh cool, good that nobody got killed now that this happened

Edit: well except the idiot with the gun lol

lawman800
12-11-2011, 07:17
Yeah, nobody got hurt other than this idiot... and all of your favorite independent contractors are still working hard there even in this cold!

OfficerChris
12-11-2011, 07:23
independent contractors? b*tches lol?

lawman800
12-11-2011, 07:30
independent contractors? b*tches lol?

Hey, be nice! They aren't all b1tches!:wow:

Some of them can be nice people too, just misunderstood.:whistling:

OfficerChris
12-11-2011, 07:40
Hey, be nice! They aren't all b1tches!:wow:

Some of them can be nice people too, just misunderstood.:whistling:

no problem with that, as you know prostitution is legal here and usually cops get around with them quite ok. Only the black ones here are a little bit crazy. Dont know why, but the eastern europeans are usually cool about it (and hot as hell).

Damn I want to come back to LA.

You got me a job yet?

steveksux
12-11-2011, 08:00
no problem with that, as you know prostitution is legal here and usually cops get around with them quite ok. Only the black ones here are a little bit crazy. Dont know why, but the eastern europeans are usually cool about it (and hot as hell).

You got me a job yet?Depends. Are you looking for an independent contractor position? :tongueout::rofl:

Randy

steveksux
12-11-2011, 08:05
Assumption number 2 is unlikely as most CCWers will not act unless the threat is directed directly at them. In this instance, each motorist that drove pass the gunman was threatened directly but did nothing. Each had a 3500 to 5000 lb guided projectile at their disposal, which they choose not to use.
2a) Your pistol doesn't get all dinged up when you fire it.
2b) Your auto insurance doesn't go up/get cancelled if you use your pistol...
2c) People don't go over endless fantasy scenarios where they mow down a gunman with their car, save the day, get awarded a OCMV sash from the city (Open Carry Motor Vehicle) :tongueout::rofl:

Kudos to LAPD.A big yes from the peanut gallery on that one!

Randy

Morris
12-11-2011, 08:16
The video clip taken by someone in a building as the B&W rolling up was . . . interesting.

MeefZah
12-11-2011, 12:51
Yes we did, that one late night when we cruised Hollywood.

Ummmm...... :shocked:

Patchman
12-11-2011, 13:45
2a) Your pistol doesn't get all dinged up when you fire it.
2b) Your auto insurance doesn't go up/get cancelled if you use your pistol...
2c) People don't go over endless fantasy scenarios where they mow down a gunman with their car, save the day, get awarded a OCMV sash from the city (Open Carry Motor Vehicle) :tongueout::rofl:

Randy

Yeah, I can see how drivers don't want to ram somebody down (even if that person is shooting a real gun at them), because that may bring unwanted attention. After all, doesn't CA (along with NY, HI and some other state) prohibit high capacity autos? The only ones exempt are gov't cars and properly registered clown cars.

Patchman
12-11-2011, 13:47
^^^^^^ OK, I know there's a joke in there somewhere. :faint:

Just have to keep polishing the material. It's a work in progress... a diamond in the rough. You guys are my beta testers. :embarassed:

SAR
12-11-2011, 13:55
Yeah, I can see how drivers don't want to ram somebody down (even if that person is shooting a real gun at them), because that may bring unwanted attention. After all, doesn't CA (along with NY, HI and some other state) prohibit high capacity autos? The only ones exempt are gov't cars and properly registered clown cars.

The biggest drawback to running him down, and we discussed this, is that if *you* as the motorist had run this guy down at the onset, nothing else would have happened. The music executive would not have gotten shot in the face, none of the video of him randomly shooting at cars would have been taken, and there would only be *you* swearing that you prevented an active shooter situation by running over this poor misguided soul. You would probably be in handcuffs in our station explaining how you are from the future and in your alternate reality, several people get shot and that he had it coming.... :whistling:

Officer X
12-11-2011, 13:56
Here's the deal... *I was there.* One of the shooters was a plainclothes detective. Some of the uniforms didn't recognize him. It was quite chaotic and without any type of identification, it could have gotten bad-- I don't feel comfortable telling the whole thing, and in truth, I can't yet... but feel free to disagree and armchair quarterback all you want. I still say that in this instance an armed citizen coming out of nowhere would have just created more of a problem. There were plenty of police there. It happened two block from the station. Within a minute, at least 40 officers were on scene.

Great job, although I'm on the other side of the country, thanks for all you do and hope all you guys are ok.

Stay safe out there.

Patchman
12-11-2011, 14:19
The biggest drawback to running him down, and we discussed this, is that if *you* as the motorist had run this guy down at the onset, nothing else would have happened. The music executive would not have gotten shot in the face, none of the video of him randomly shooting at cars would have been taken, and there would only be *you* swearing that you prevented an active shooter situation by running over this poor misguided soul. You would probably be in handcuffs in our station explaining how you are from the future and in your alternate reality, several people get shot and that he had it coming.... :whistling:

It's time like this that a medical marijuana card/prescription would come in handy. Doctor's orders... :whistling:

lawman800
12-11-2011, 14:42

New cars bought after 2005 cannot have a gas tank over 10 gallons without a special high capacity potential pollution permit and the owner must have a hazardous material certified driver's license.

Any cars manufactured with a gas tank over 10 gallons must have the tank permanently "plugged" to only accept 10 gallons and if the car has more than 1 "evil" feature as determined by the DMV, then you must also have the gas tank lock fixed in place with a gas cap button which only opens with a special tool.

Most people in the free states will have no idea what I am talking about but us Californians will only cry because it is coming.

lawman800
12-11-2011, 14:44

You got me a job yet?

Actually, my sarcasm didn't come out on the written word... I was actually trying to defend that first girl you tried to have a "connection" with... you know, the 500 pound black girl that said she hates cops but she'll gladly pleasure you?

Man, talk about just taking a page out of the stereotypical image files... her pimp standing next to her pretty much looks just like what you would expect a pimp to look like. There is no exaggeration on that.

lawman800
12-11-2011, 14:46
The video clip taken by someone in a building as the B&W rolling up was . . . interesting.

Sounds like a test run in a busy city to gauge LE response during midday conditions? They got the place wrong though... that is a footbeat area, right SAR?

Trigger Finger
12-11-2011, 14:51
Duplicate!!

Trigger Finger
12-11-2011, 14:51
Good Job SAR.
I can't tell you how many times my biggest fear was getting shot or very violently proned out by responding officers when my surveillance unit was involved in something. Even though I was usually wearing a LAPD Raid Jacket and the watch commander was aware we were operating in the area!! I had a beard and long hair and anyone can get a raid jacket, at least that's what they would tell me as I was spitting gravel and dirt out of my mouth. :rofl:

I am sure you will tell us more when you are able. FWIW I have been involved in some horrendous instances that never made it to the press, to this day, at least not in there entirety. Of course it was not on National T.V. :supergrin::supergrin:

jack76590
12-11-2011, 14:59
Link to interview with guy who did video of shooter. This is also posted on self defense forum.

In interview observer/video taper says the shooter was hiding his pistol, probably along side his leg until vehicles approached.

This is potentially one reason no one ran him down, just thought some drunk or doper in the street. I will defer to LAPD officers on whether dopers, drunks yelling in the streets is uncommon occurance in LA. Link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8BfZcxJZNE

Patchman
12-11-2011, 15:10
Man, talk about just taking a page out of the stereotypical image files... her pimp standing next to her pretty much looks just like what you would expect a pimp to look like. There is no exaggeration on that.

I can't talk stereotyping the working girl and her man, but is OfficerChris your typical blond Aryan?

If he is, I can just imagine you and him in a car, with fuzzy dice hanging off the rearview mirror. That's enough PC right there to woop-woop your car to the curb and pop the trunk and hood. :supergrin:

lawman800
12-11-2011, 15:13
I will defer to LAPD officers on whether dopers, drunks yelling in the streets is uncommon occurance in LA.

Heck, ask anyone in LA. While LA in general is not that bad, in Hollywood, if you are not a doper/drunk yelling in the streets, YOU are the weirdo.

lawman800
12-11-2011, 15:17
I can't talk stereotyping the working girl and her man, but is OfficerChris your typical blond Aryan?

If he is, I can just imagine you and him in a car, with fuzzy dice hanging off the rearview mirror. That's enough PC right there to woop-woop your car to the curb and pop the trunk and hood. :supergrin:

Yes, OC is just as you described... short, blond hair, wearing a military style MA-1 flight jacket. No red laces on the Doc Martens boots though.:whistling:

I got rid of the fuzzy dice a few years ago. I replaced them with the hanging Christmas tree air freshener, you know, because it's a lot less conspicuous that way.:rofl:

We didn't get any contact in Hollywood, but we were stopped in a part of El Sereno (think East LA in Training Day) by LAPD looking for homicide suspects... when he saw what we looked like, he just said nevermind.:supergrin:

steveksux
12-11-2011, 17:02
Yeah, I can see how drivers don't want to ram somebody down (even if that person is shooting a real gun at them), because that may bring unwanted attention. After all, doesn't CA (along with NY, HI and some other state) prohibit high capacity autos? The only ones exempt are gov't cars and properly registered clown cars.And you gotta be a political contributor to get a clown car registered in CA... :tongueout:

Randy

lawman800
12-11-2011, 17:17
And you gotta be a political contributor to get a clown car registered in CA... :tongueout:

Randy

Not to mention the head ache and red tape involved in getting your permit to carry a concealed gas tank.

Trigger Finger
12-13-2011, 01:57
They announced on the news today, (12-12-2011), that the music executive that was shot in the face in this incident just died.

It appears there is no end to crazies in L.A. Glad I did my time and got out!

lawman800
12-13-2011, 02:04
did they release a name for the guy?

Trigger Finger
12-13-2011, 10:48
did they release a name for the guy?

John Atterberry!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/12/slain-music-producer-remembered-as-kind-god-fearing.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lanowblog+%28L.A.+Now%29

Sad, just driving down the road and some nut shoots you. Always remain at Condition Yellow!

SAR
12-13-2011, 20:13
This is the first time in a long time I have not heard any public outcry. No demonstration, no sign carriers or banner wavers at the scene.... I have not heard a single person saying we overreacted. :whistling:

lawman800
12-13-2011, 20:46
This is the first time in a long time I have not heard any public outcry. No demonstration, no sign carriers or banner wavers at the scene.... I have not heard a single person saying we overreacted. :whistling:

He didn't have the backing of the race pimps and professional agitators to stir up trouble.

Trigger Finger
12-13-2011, 21:50
He didn't have the backing of the race pimps and professional agitators to stir up trouble.

That and I think that the public realizes that the police reacted properly.

AND to some extent the public, especially in the L.A. Area is becoming desensitized to this type of ridicules violence.

Once again, Good Job by LAPD. My old almamater!