I'm So Angry with You People [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm So Angry with You People

eaglefrq
12-10-2011, 19:12
Why didn't someone tell me AR's were so much fun to shoot before now! :wavey:

I picked up a Stag Arms Model 1 and got to the range for the first time today. Talk about a blast!

I do have a couple of questions though. I replaced the rear sight (carry handle) with a flip up and added a red-dot scope. I got the scope dialed in fairly quickly, but I'm having problems with the iron sights. It seems like I was all over the target.

I set the front sight to zero mechanical and then started the process. It seemed like I was making progress, but I still wasn't getting consistent groups. This is my first time with the peep sights, so that may have something to with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is it just going to take practice?

Eurodriver
12-10-2011, 19:21
The front sight should be crisp and in focus. Ignore the rear sight and place the front sight in the same spot on the target every time. (The target should be out of focus as well)

Are you doing that?

craig19
12-10-2011, 19:34
ARs are a blast, congrats!

eaglefrq
12-10-2011, 20:20
The front sight should be crisp and in focus. Ignore the rear sight and place the front sight in the same spot on the target every time. (The target should be out of focus as well)

Are you doing that?

Yes, the front sight was crisp. After some initial shooting, I looked online and found some pictures of how to line everything up. Once I saw what a peep sight picture looked like, I saw some of the things I was doing wrong.

I just need to practice some more, which unfortunately won't be until this weekend.

MrMurphy
12-10-2011, 20:32
Front sight controls elevation. Rear sight controls windage.

You shouldn't need to move your front much for zero.

MAJINKONG
12-11-2011, 02:19
You have now a Black Rifle disease.

faawrenchbndr
12-11-2011, 05:35
Just wait until you start building them,........

SSNimrod
12-11-2011, 06:22

Oh man this is great:rofl:

IGotIt
12-11-2011, 06:22

AR's are the crack cocaine of the gun world.

By the way, when you are shooting with your irons, what distance are you using. the best way I've found was to start off around 25-35 yards, get comfortable with your groups. Once you get the sights tuned in at that distance you can begin to go out further, say 50 yards, then 100, etc.

eaglefrq
12-11-2011, 13:39

By the way, when you are shooting with your irons, what distance are you using. the best way I've found was to start off around 25-35 yards, get comfortable with your groups. Once you get the sights tuned in at that distance you can begin to go out further, say 50 yards, then 100, etc.

I was shooting my irons at 25yds. One thought I had earlier...I'm co-witnessing with my red dot. My red dot has 2x magnification, could this be causing some of my problems with the irons?

svtpwnz
12-11-2011, 14:03

^^^^^^^^THIS!!!!!!! There is alot more to shooting tight groups than most people think. There are many factors that you must consider such as breathing, cheek to stock consistency, target vs. Match ammo, caffine consumption, quality of weapon etc. I would recommend starting out with your irons and take your red dot off until you become proficient with them. Then I would mount the red dot back on. And welcome to the dark side my friend.

MrMurphy
12-11-2011, 16:03
You can't cowitness through a powered optic. If you're using a 2X red dot, i'm betting it's one of the old no longer produced M2 variants.

You can 'kind of' make it work, but not correctly. Remove the scope, shoot the irons.

Green Eyes, Black Rifles by Kyle Lamb and The M4/M16 Handbook (meant for junior soldiers but the majority applies to you) are both worth buying.

eaglefrq
12-12-2011, 00:00
You can't cowitness through a powered optic. If you're using a 2X red dot, i'm betting it's one of the old no longer produced M2 variants.

You can 'kind of' make it work, but not correctly. Remove the scope, shoot the irons.

Green Eyes, Black Rifles by Kyle Lamb and The M4/M16 Handbook (meant for junior soldiers but the majority applies to you) are both worth buying.

That's what I was thinking, thanks for the confirmation. I will take it off for now and hopefully, my groups will get tighter using the irons.

Teecher45
12-15-2011, 15:39
I know, right?
They did it to me a little more than 2 years ago.
It will get no better either...