Mossberg 930 SPX purchase [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 SPX purchase

Baldy
12-10-2011, 22:43
I bought a new Mossberg 930 SPX today. My 13 year old grandson and I put it through its paces with about 50 round of everything from slugs and buckshot to birdshot.

It ran flawlessly throughout. I love this weapon. My head told me to get another pump, but lust drove me to the purchase.

I have absolutely no regret. It has none of the problems about which I've read, and I'm quite pleased.

megawatt
12-11-2011, 00:59
Good for you. Mine is a couple months old and it also has no problems many others have reported about. Round count is over 700 shells so far.

frankr
12-11-2011, 09:10
My 930 SPX has been and continues to be 100% reliable. It loves both 00 buck and 1 oz slugs and will eat all the Wal-Mart low brass, 100 shell value packs I can feed her.

captcurly
12-11-2011, 15:59
I have had my 930SPX for 2 1/2 years and it has been 100% reliable. I love the ghost ring sight and the way it handles. It is a very easy weapon to clean and maintain. A great tactical shotgun and IMHO the best bang for your buck. Good luck and enjoy it.

Baldy
12-11-2011, 19:22
There's no doubt, that the 930 SPX is a fine weapon.

HOWEVER, the smile on my Grandson's face as he and I shot together was more than enough to establish its value in my life.

There are some things one cannot explain!

I'll be hanging on to this shotgun.

ScrappyDoo
12-11-2011, 20:29
As exactly my esteemed colleuge Frank said , my M930SPX loves it some 00 Buck and can handle slugs to be a sniper shotgun or death delivery blacktical boomstick , but it eats such a steady diet of Walmart sale priced Federal Champion 100 rd value pack 7.5 birdshot 'target load rounds ' with veritable impunity. You cant stop this Bad Mother a trucker it just keeps going like that battery bunny.

Best firearm money I've spent , what I would grabif the dog Sounds his puppy siren in the middle of the night and $h!! Was on - and looms large and in charge ie looks awesome!

Bello
12-12-2011, 11:45
As exactly my esteemed colleuge Frank said , my M930SPX loves it some 00 Buck and can handle slugs to be a sniper shotgun or death delivery blacktical boomstick , but it eats such a steady diet of Walmart sale priced Federal Champion 100 rd value pack 7.5 birdshot 'target load rounds ' with veritable impunity. You cant stop this Bad Mother a trucker it just keeps going like that battery bunny.

Best firearm money I've spent , what I would grabif the dog Sounds his puppy siren in the middle of the night and $h!! Was on - and looms large and in charge ie looks awesome!

Really is some idiot kid posting this?

DHSGMAN
12-12-2011, 17:29
Really is some idiot kid posting this?

Why the insult, you must be lacking something little man..

Bello
12-14-2011, 09:51
<cite class="fn">Hojo</cite> says: October 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM (http://madogre.com/?p=599#comment-14899)
I have a Mossberg 930 SPX. I am very frustrated with it, the shotgun is very low quality and the bolt assembly was rusted on the inside when I bought it (brand new). I tried contacting customer service and they never responded, I even offered to pay for the replacment parts. The shotgun looks nice on the outside when you buy it but when you take it apart for cleaning the inside is all scratched up and the finish isnít very good. The website also lies about the shotgun, they claim it is an 8 shot being 7+1 but in reality the shotgun only loads 6+1 but if you do load up 6 rounds the last round will not feed properly. When you see the Mossberg 930 SPX know it is a low quality 5+1 with no customer service. It does shoot good though with low recoil but all things considered I will have to get rid of it.

one of thousands i could post....

Stay safe!

ScrappyDoo
12-14-2011, 14:40
AGAIN, do I need to dig up the PMs you sent me begging for info on how to get an M930SPX in NJ? In how you begged to be let in on how I got one in NJ , you're being told they're not NJ legal and can't find a way to get one ?
fact : YOU WANTED ONE BAD and another fact : NOW YOU'RE ACTING COOL and like the anti 930SPX TROll Cause you had to spend like $2000 for an M4 to feel cool , you could have a more expensive exclusive shotgun than me ?

Funny just a short while ago you sent me another PM inviting me to join You on another forum ? Don't remember calling me your " NJ broski" ? Now you're too cool.

DHSGMAN
12-14-2011, 17:04
One of the thousands, riiiight. You are acting like a troll, an anti Mossberg 930 troll. How about going elsewhere and act like a jackass. It's obvious you have an ax to grind, just do it elsewhere.

Scrappy, time to post them to show everyone what a troll he really is.

ScrappyDoo
12-14-2011, 18:11
7-10-2010 18:10

Title : "930spx"
,msg : "i live in jersey as well how did you get a jersey legal spx 930?"

I respond to his unsolicited msg "
According to mossberg and SP I am the only one who has one in NJ.

long story someone screwed up sellling to to me, I didnt know it was not allowed I was new. I got it and found out and had to have a new mag tube made for it.

got lucky, supposdedly the SP is cracking down on guns not jersey legal going to gunsmiths in NJ that will make them legal. Supposedly they cant even have it if its not in proper configuration, its something the AG wants to start bustin.

i just got lucky i guess.

Then on 7-11-2010 at 10:00 he replies to me:
"i mean id like to have that model but the other 930s are the exact same thing just not the options of the spx and I don't want to buy the 930 to pay more for what the spx has sigh.. oh well maybe ill get lucky "

To which I didn't respond because I mean - wait I want the BMW top of the line model with all the options but i DOMT want to pay for it ! It's the same as the entry level BMW! it just doesn't have the same upgraded stuff !! I mean how are you supposed to respond to such flawed logIc ?

And he is telling me how I'm a broke joker for "scraping together $299 for a moss berg semi pos" I nelieve not even new M500's are that cheap? Mime was like 700 because , they were so hot on the market and so limited that if you found one you paid the price because that was how you could grt one. So what is it , I have a cheap POS or one you couldn't convince yourself to pay the price for because in your own words you didn't want to have to pay for the gun you wanted , the one I have you don't and now you're suddenly a troll for against them. The truth hurts but it shall set you free.

Baldy
12-14-2011, 19:58
All I can say is that mine is reliable, fast, and smooth. The sights are straight, and the trigger group is good.

I completely broke it down for cleaning, and there is not a spot of rust, and not one problem that I can find. My 930 holds 7 rounds in the tube, and one in the chamber...as advertised.

I'm sorry that some have had problems: I'm a happy camper.

megawatt
12-14-2011, 20:06
<CITE class=fn>...</CITE>The website also lies about the shotgun, they claim it is an 8 shot being 7+1 but in reality the shotgun only loads 6+1 ...

And I would bet that you tried some inexpensive 2-3/4" Rio royal buck ammo in 00B to make this statement. Rio makes some of the longest shells on the market. Remember the RIO shell in the pic is NOT a magnum shell, it is not a 3" shell.

This picture shows the "unfired" length of five different 2-3/4" shells. My 930SPX is an 8 shot firearm just like the manufacture states, my magazine tube is capable of holding 7 shells. Know your ammo and learn your gun.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/joe800mw/training/1a784102.jpg

DHSGMAN
12-16-2011, 00:52
Bravo Sir, well put! With pictures as evidence, I might add. I can Ghost it for a total of 9.:wedgie:

ScrappyDoo
12-16-2011, 01:06
YUP I actually had the nice people of Choate make me a +1 mag extension so I could throw out the factory omstalled choate +3 and be Jersey legal. I was absolutely getting 7+1 to start oit ghost loading an extra to 9. NOW I am definitely 5+1 ghost loading an extra is no problem ZAND BEST PART is mg favorite round also the BEST round Hornady TAP FPD 00 BUCK is a little microminimeasure smaller so I can actually grt 6 in the tube , one in the chamber , at the PA Range if I ghost loadd it I got 8 rounds of 12 Gauge Hornady TAP FPD and I am EXTREMELY HAPPY.

And mostof the 930 SPX people on here are. I suspect the pictures and privtr messages won't be enough evidence for our friend however. Sometime fhe best way to convince someone of their errors is to let them have it their own way. People only know what they only know.

frankr
12-16-2011, 04:30
<cite class="fn">Hojo</cite> says: October 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM (http://madogre.com/?p=599#comment-14899)
I have a Mossberg 930 SPX. I am very frustrated with it, the shotgun is very low quality and the bolt assembly was rusted on the inside when I bought it (brand new). I tried contacting customer service and they never responded, I even offered to pay for the replacment parts. The shotgun looks nice on the outside when you buy it but when you take it apart for cleaning the inside is all scratched up and the finish isn’t very good. The website also lies about the shotgun, they claim it is an 8 shot being 7+1 but in reality the shotgun only loads 6+1 but if you do load up 6 rounds the last round will not feed properly. When you see the Mossberg 930 SPX know it is a low quality 5+1 with no customer service. It does shoot good though with low recoil but all things considered I will have to get rid of it.

Stay safe!

Sorry to hear about your 930 SPX but Mossberg is not lying when they say 7+1 I’ve been loading 8 shells from day one, 9 if you want to ghost load the 9th shell. If you want to know how to get your gun to load 7+1 all you have to do is ask and we would help. But to post ( Really is some idiot kid posting this?) is not going to help with your situation.

sittingbull
12-24-2011, 15:54
[QUOTE=Bello;18285158]<CITE class=fn>Hojo</CITE> says: October 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM (http://madogre.com/?p=599#comment-14899)
I have a Mossberg 930 SPX. I am very frustrated with it, the shotgun is very low quality and the bolt assembly was rusted on the inside when I bought it (brand new). I tried contacting customer service and they never responded, I even offered to pay for the replacment parts. The shotgun looks nice on the outside when you buy it but when you take it apart for cleaning the inside is all scratched up and the finish isnít very good. The website also lies about the shotgun, they claim it is an 8 shot being 7+1 but in reality the shotgun only loads 6+1 but if you do load up 6 rounds the last round will not feed properly. When you see the Mossberg 930 SPX know it is a low quality 5+1 with no customer service. It does shoot good though with low recoil but all things considered I will have to get rid of it.

why did you buy it if it had rust on it ?

stopatrain
12-24-2011, 16:49
I like mine a lot. Feeds everything. 7+1 after removing the extra follower.

Bowtie
12-26-2011, 01:22
I'm another very happy 930SPX owner. No rust anywhere, feeds everything I've thrown at it, Ghost load gets you 9 rnds on tap. over 2000 rnds without a hiccup of any kind. Extremely soft shooter and very fast. Whats not to love.

mixflip
12-26-2011, 01:51
Runs cheap low brass ammo like a water faucet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axCK9ZqvIfw

Roostmonkey
12-26-2011, 10:14
I was impressed the first time I shot it. I was doing 2 inch groups at 50m with full power slugs, and fifteen minutes later was hurting clays with 20+ year old #8 paper shell bird shot.

Sharkey
12-27-2011, 22:13
Can't remember the magazine but it is still on the newstand. Author put 2K rounds down the tube with several different shooters and he had 2 jams in all the rounds. Hmm, maybe I need to put one of these in the safe?

B Glover
12-27-2011, 22:27
Can't remember the magazine but it is still on the newstand. Author put 2K rounds down the tube with several different shooters and he had 2 jams in all the rounds. Hmm, maybe I need to put one of these in the safe?

It was one of the tactical weapons mags. I fliped through it again to day at the store. If I remember right he attributed both malfunctions to cheap bird shot ammo.

itstime
12-27-2011, 22:46
I still loveine. Bought it used really cheap too. One of the best buy I ever made.

ScrappyDoo
12-27-2011, 23:14
Funny it just keeps on seeming that everyone that has one (or like 90%) of the people on here that have one love it, when people post threads about them on the General Firearms forum for example, everyone WANTS to get one, and there is one anti person who became a fanboy of his own firearm like a cult of his own personality.

I notice the sound of crickets by the way. Cat got your shotgun tongue homeskillet?

frankr
12-28-2011, 03:43
Funny it just keeps on seeming that everyone that has one (or like 90%) of the people on here that have one love it, when people post threads about them on the General Firearms forum for example, everyone WANTS to get one, and there is one anti person who became a fanboy of his own firearm like a cult of his own personality.

I notice the sound of crickets by the way. Cat got your shotgun tongue homeskillet?

ScrappyDoo,you, mix and I plus a few others have been on this forum for a while and I think you would agree that reading some of the problems people had with their 930 SPX have been operator error. As far as reliability, I would have no problem putting my $600 SPX up against any $1,200 auto shotgun on the market.

ScrappyDoo
12-28-2011, 11:40
Frank you sir are 101% right ! The people that complain didn't follow the simple , basic , necessary steps. Its so easy to document the website forums erc ppl who had problems that didn't disassemble , break down completely , scrub it up and down and lube it properly ( how basic are these steps ? Yet so many people spew this stupid Glock-induced nonsense of ' if I can't take it from the store and box and shoot it immediately I don't want it or trust it its a piece of garbage .... RIGHT...... ). And then break it in right with a decent setup of 00 Buck and then a few value packs of whatever, Fed Champion value pack bulk target loads from Walmart seem to be the best choice for value for dollar. It's SO SIMPLE - disassemble , PROPERLY CLEAN AND LUBE ( ie not a bore snake and WD40) and reassemble before a proper break in by firing. THE PEOPLE WHO FOLLOWED THIS all have had perfect success.

I just can't get the fire anymore to argue with people. Especially the proponents of the $1200 comparative gun who OBVIOUSLY is so much better cause they own it and dropped the coin despite the generally accepted points that the M930SPX Is better and is probably the overall best value for dollar / " Quality-to-Price Ratio " QPR

BUT Frank, at the emd of the day, we ain't exactly losing any sleep right my brother? :)

DHSGMAN
12-28-2011, 19:47
I've never been taught to shoot any weapon straight from the box. It is imperative to properly clean and lube a firearm before taking it out for self defense use. After range trips I clean them that very day, they are lubed and stored in the safe. I wait a few days and re-clean them (It's amazing what you find the 2nd time around), after that I lube them and consider them "duty" ready.

I've seen the numerous initial complaints about the Mossberg 930 SPX, although personally I have yet to see one personally. I've owned two 930's, but presently own only one. It is a tank and like others have stated I would run head to head against any other semi auto.

ScrappyDoo
12-31-2011, 12:07
I've never been taught to shoot any weapon straight from the box. It is imperative to properly clean and lube a firearm before taking it out for self defense use. After range trips I clean them that very day, they are lubed and stored in the safe. I wait a few days and re-clean them (It's amazing what you find the 2nd time around), after that I lube them and consider them "duty" ready.

I've seen the numerous initial complaints about the Mossberg 930 SPX, although personally I have yet to see one personally. I've owned two 930's, but presently own only one. It is a tank and like others have stated I would run head to head against any other semi auto.

Excellent post all around. Very good very well said.