Please Correct Me If I Am Wrong.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Please Correct Me If I Am Wrong....

arushus
12-10-2011, 23:44
Isnt the Winchester PDX1's law enforcement equivalent the winchester ranger T? And what are the differences, if any?

Among the other popular bullets and brands for law enforcement, such as the Federal HST, what are the LEO and civilian bullet brands and names, and their relative differences? AFAIK, the federal hst is not supposed to be available for civilian purchase, but correct me if im wrong...

Brands and bullets that come to mind are:

winchester ranger sxt and pdx1
speer golddot
remington golden saber
federal hydra shok and hst

Just in case it wasnt clear what Im asking...basically, I just want to know what brands and bullets the law enforcement community uses, and what their civilian counterpart is, if any....and what the differences are, if any, between the same bullet that is offered to leo and civilians....

I know, just because the police use them doesnt necessarily mean they are the end-all be-all among hollowpoint bullets...Im just curious.

Glockwork Orange
12-11-2011, 01:02
Isnt the Winchester PDX1's law enforcement equivalent the winchester ranger T? And what are the differences, if any?

I believe that the expanded PDX does not have the "talons" that an expanded Ranger T would have...I could be wrong though, but I read that somewhere...

arushus
12-11-2011, 01:03
I believe that the expanded PDX does not have the "talons" that an expanded Ranger T would have...I could be wrong though, but I read that somewhere...

I believe ive read the same thing...

barth
12-11-2011, 02:47
PDX1 is cross between T-Series and Bonded.

It does have petals like a T-Series.
But the bullet is bonded as well, so expansion isn't as good as a T-Series.
But light barrier penetration is improved.

It's a cross breed bullet. Supposed to be the best of both worlds.
New PDX1 bullet looks promising. But has no real track record on the street.

I have some for my 357 Mangum.
They are rated at 1325 fps.
Kind of a medium load compared to full house 1450 fps rounds.
Low recoil, fast follow-up shot, SD stuff.

Out of a 2" barrel I've setteled in on Remington Golden Saber.
Barrel 4"/2" 1450/1200 fps full house loads. Where GS are 1220/1100.
I only lose 100 fps with the Sabers.
And the difference in recoil is dramatic!

I also have Winchester Ranger Bonded and T-Series in 40.
The bonded I can buy cheap and use for target practice.

Ranger Ts and GDHPs are some of my chosen SD rounds.
357 Sig 125 gr T-Series / Speer GDHP / Federal Tactical Bonded
45 +P ACP 230 gr T-Series / 200 Gr +P Speer GDHP
40 165 gr T-Series / 155 gr Speer GDHP
http://www.sportsmanshuntingwarehouse.com/shop/media/images/product_detail/wincpics357mpdb.jpg

cadillacguns
12-11-2011, 04:50
Winchester PDX-1 is avaliable at most wal-Marts for sale, Speer GDHP is sold to both LEO and civilians, try www.sgammo.com.
I prefer Speer GDHP in my G-23/27 but I looked at my mags as was putting the G-27 I had been carrying to bed last night and noticed i was carrying Winchester PDX-1 in both my pistols, when if anyone would have asked I would have swore it was Speer GDHP. Am I going to switch it out.................nah, no reason to.

Redstate
12-11-2011, 08:53
Around here, local law enforcement uses Speer Gold Dots.

unit1069
12-11-2011, 09:12
Ranger Ts and GDHPs are some of my chosen SD rounds.
357 Sig 125 gr T-Series / Speer GDHP / Federal Tactical Bonded

Can you or anyone else tell me if there's a difference between Speer Gold Dot and Federal Tactical Bonded? Both are ATK subsidiaries, but do the different ammos have a different bonded bullet design? And if so, is there any difference in performance?

barth
12-11-2011, 09:29
Can you or anyone else tell me if there's a difference between Speer Gold Dot and Federal Tactical Bonded? Both are ATK subsidiaries, but do the different ammos have a different bonded bullet design? And if so, is there any difference in performance?

Visually, in 357 sig, they look nothing alike.
Not even close.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo32/97/13/f152b7791631__1323620812000.jpg

Also, my G27 with a G33 barrel and mags, has problems with FTF using Speer.
No troubles with Federal or Winchester.
My Sig P239 well eat all three and be hungry for more - LOL!

BTW the G27 in 40 is a bullet eating machine and has never failed me with any ammo.

Update:
I forgot to mention Speer makes two flavors of LE 357 Sig.
I'm using the hotter 1375 fps version (54234).