AR triggers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR triggers

halfmoonclip
12-11-2011, 08:54
It never ceases to amaze me about how crappy OEM triggers tend to be, even in premium brands. I've resorted to Geissele SSA triggers in a couple ARs, and generally consider it a good solution; they're durable and easy to install.

The problem is in my retro A1 build. I had a Bill Springfield trigger in it; nice release, but I was concerned about durability. Also, had a Springfield trigger run away on me in another gun, so I'm a little skeptical about them.

Got a good price at a gunshow on an SSA, and it's in and works great. Trouble is, it's not right on an A1. Any suggestions of a source for a clean service trigger for my retro?
Thanks,
Moon

faawrenchbndr
12-11-2011, 09:32
Tagged,..............

eracer
12-11-2011, 10:05
Edit - just noticed you said 'retro.' My suggestions would not be for you.

halfmoonclip
12-11-2011, 10:42
Tagged,..............

Did a quick search; didn't turn up anything specific to retro.

I'd prefer a single stage with a clean (need not be super light) release just to be period-correct, but the Giessele's work so well (with nothing to get out of whack) that I'm tempted to let practicality override technical correctness. I've got lots of (crunchy,heavy, creepy) GI triggers in the partsbox.

But I'm open to suggestions.
Moon

Gunnut 45/454
12-11-2011, 10:48
I really don't understand where your coming from- you want a retro A1. But you want a prescision trigger. Can't have both as they didn't make prescision triggers for AR's then so if you want a true A1 retro use a stock trigger!:whistling:

smokin762
12-11-2011, 10:54
Do the A1 and A2 triggers look different? What about a RRA 2-stage trigger? :dunno:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

TedG
12-11-2011, 10:54
If you can do a trigger-job on a1911, you can improve your AR trigger considerably. It takes about a half-hour.

halfmoonclip
12-11-2011, 11:27
I really don't understand wear your coming from- you want a retro A1. But you want a prescision trigger. Can't have both as they didn't make prescision triggers for AR's then so if you want a true A1 retro use a stock trigger!:whistling:

Reread what I said, 45. I didn't say a precision trigger (not sure the SSA really qualifies as that in any case). What I'd like is a durable trigger with a clean break. It need not be super light (4-5 lbs is fine), but I just can't deal with the crunchy, heavy OEM. I can even deal with heavy if it all goes at once, but the creep is killing me.

Moon

halfmoonclip
12-11-2011, 11:29
If you can do a trigger-job on a1911, you can improve your AR trigger considerably. It takes about a half-hour.

Ted, I'm willing to listen, but the Springfield trigger job probably is something in that vein. I do want this trigger to be reliable in the long run. Because of previous issues (the runaway gun) with modded stock triggers, I'm a little leery.
Thanks,
Moon

halfmoonclip
12-11-2011, 11:33
Let me add, guys, that I wish I could remember what the GI triggers actually felt like. My rifle in basic was an M-16dashnothing, and in my company it was an A1. I was lucky; never had to run thru' the jungle with it.
But my recollection was that they weren't half bad, and it wasn't just usage. My A1 was about brand new when I drew it.

As an aside, ever try a WWII 1911? I have one made by a typewriter company, and it has a great trigger. Go figure.
Moon

TedG
12-11-2011, 12:22
Remove the lower and dry-fire (catching the hammer each time) for about 4 hours while watching TV tonight. That will remove the roughness.

faawrenchbndr
12-11-2011, 12:35
This DOES work!

halfmoonclip
12-11-2011, 15:26
Remove the lower and dry-fire (catching the hammer each time) for about 4 hours while watching TV tonight. That will remove the roughness.

Ted, I've been known to do that; how well it works depends on how rough the trigger was to begin with. It's a thought, tho.
Moon

TedG
12-11-2011, 16:15
Ted, I've been known to do that; how well it works depends on how rough the trigger was to begin with. It's a thought, tho.
Moon

That's how those WWII 1911s smoothed out.

halfmoonclip
12-11-2011, 21:08
Ted, you might be right, but my personal specimen has so little wear on it that it couldn't have been shot much. I think they just knew how to do it.
Moon

Gunnut 45/454
12-12-2011, 09:46
halfmoonclip
Also keep in mind the AR was never ment to be a precision weapon! The only weapon I have a prescision trigger on is my Sav Hunter 11 with the Accu trigger. I never got hung up on triggers as most I had smoothed out with use. My first AR prescision trigger will be the G2S I'll have on my PSA if it ever gets here.

BBJones
12-12-2011, 14:26
My first AR prescision trigger will be the G2S I'll have on my PSA if it ever gets here.

That is not a precision trigger. It is meant to be an all around trigger.

halfmoonclip
12-12-2011, 14:39
halfmoonclip
Also keep in mind the AR was never ment to be a precision weapon! The only weapon I have a prescision trigger on is my Sav Hunter 11 with the Accu trigger. I never got hung up on triggers as most I had smoothed out with use. My first AR prescision trigger will be the G2S I'll have on my PSA if it ever gets here.

45, feel free to tell me more about your trigger.

Let me say that shooting any firearm in a skillful fashion depends on a decent trigger (among other things). I've found the SSA to be a great all-round trigger, easy to control for range work, but reliable and with enough pull weight to be useful when your pulse is racing and your a****le is tightened up.
I really want to get my retro to the range more often, with the expectation of actually being able to hit things.
Moon

HAIL CAESAR
12-12-2011, 16:00
That is not a precision trigger. It is meant to be an all around trigger.

No it is not, but compared to a Mil-Spec trigger the SSA is practically a precision trigger.

I have one that I replaced the stock disco spring with a Mil-Spec one that is absolutely fantastic.

halfmoonclip
12-12-2011, 20:49
No it is not, but compared to a Mil-Spec trigger the SSA is practically a precision trigger.

I have one that I replaced the stock disco spring with a Mil-Spec one that is absolutely fantastic.

Tell me a little more about that, Cae. How does it affect the pull? First stage or second? You are talking the little coil that goes under the disconnector?
Moon

HAIL CAESAR
12-13-2011, 14:09
It makes a lighter pull, pretty crisp.

Yes, the little spring under the disco. Take out the Geiselle supplied spring (make sure you mark it so you don't loose it) and replace with a Mil-Spec spring.