10MM For Trail Gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10MM For Trail Gun?

10-S
12-11-2011, 14:24
I'm an avid bicyclist/jogger. The bike & walking trails in some places have black bear, gator, hogs...etc sharing the same space occasionally. Would the 10mm be a good trail gun with a hunting load, jic?

bac1023
12-11-2011, 16:16
With the right ammo, it should be ok.

interlake869
12-11-2011, 16:44
not sure you need to worry about bears, gators and hogs in indiana- but the 10mm is one of the most versatile and powerful rounds(when loaded properly) available in auto pistols these days

10-S
12-11-2011, 16:55
not sure you need to worry about bears, gators and hogs in indiana- but the 10mm is one of the most versatile and powerful rounds(when loaded properly) available in auto pistols these days

LOL! :rofl: No bears, gators,wild hogs in the Hoosier state. I do travel, though!

unit1069
12-11-2011, 17:02
I'm an avid bicyclist/jogger. The bike & walking trails in some places have black bear, gator, hogs...etc sharing the same space occasionally. Would the 10mm be a good trail gun with a hunting load, jic?

Sounds like a good choice to me.

Tiro Fijo
12-11-2011, 18:16
not sure you need to worry about bears, gators and hogs in indiana...

And THAT is just the single women!! You should see the divorced ones!!

:rofl: :supergrin:

glock20c10mm
12-11-2011, 20:36
Yes Sir.

Zombie Steve
12-11-2011, 20:51
10mm is the great in-betweener of the handgun world, but I'd say it's a decent compromise for your purposes. A .357 mag would be good (and comparable) for this use if you like a wheel gun better.

Darkangel1846
12-11-2011, 21:34
Indiana? I'm in Oregon and I carry a 10mm when I go hikeing...deep woods I switch over to a .44 magnum. DT has some good rounds, BearTooth 200 gr.

Angry Fist
12-11-2011, 21:37
Hell, I take a 10mm everywhere.

jeager
12-11-2011, 21:41
My Bro-in-Law was Mtn Biking at Fort Ord, Monterey, Ca.
He was chuggin' up a hill and saw a Mtn LION sneak behind a tree,
...waiting for him to go Bye!

ViennaGambit
12-11-2011, 22:01
A .357 mag would be good (and comparable) for this use if you like a wheel gun better.

I totally agree.

.357mag is such a versatile cartridge it is amazing. Good thing with a wheel gun is you can mix up the loads...

I carry the first 2 as shot shells for snakes while hiking here then buffalo bore flat nose for animals, 2 legged and 4.

I would feel comfortable anywhere in the CONUS where there arent brown bears with the 7 shots of .357mag out of the 4" barrel of my 686 plus...

If you only want to carry a semi auto, then 10mm is a great choice, although .45acp would do the trick as well if you dont need to worry about bear...

Ak.Hiker
12-11-2011, 22:19
I think the 10mm would be a great choice for your needs. I prefer the 200 grain loads.

FLIPPER 348
12-12-2011, 00:48
I'm an avid bicyclist/jogger. The bike & walking trails in some places have black bear, gator, hogs...etc sharing the same space occasionally.

Are you biking/jogging thru a zoo??

alwaysshootin
12-12-2011, 06:15
Are you biking/jogging thru a zoo??

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

alwaysshootin
12-12-2011, 06:16
My Bro-in-Law was Mtn Biking at Fort Ord, Monterey, Ca.
He was chuggin' up a hill and saw a Mtn LION sneak behind a tree,
...waiting for him to go Bye!

Tell me he stopped!:supergrin:

Brucev
12-12-2011, 07:57

Jogging with a pistol of any real size is a bit of a challenge. Walking... no problem. The 10mm will do fine for the above mentioned needs. A G-20 would be a good choice. For distances up to say 15 yds., it would be very adequate. Shots out beyond say 30 yds., you'll need to really work on accuracy. If you anticipate such shooting as more than occasional, it'd be better to choose as different handgun for the round... say a S&W revolver as it will be capable of much better accuracy.

purrrfect 10
12-12-2011, 08:14
I have a S&W 586 357 magnum, I also have a Glock 20 10mm. IMO the Glock 10mm is the only way to go for a trail gun for Black bear and smaller. Lot more capacity more choice for ammo.
My 10 mm is my daily carry. For me it doesn't get any better then 10mm.

:perfect10: All the Way

Taurus851
12-12-2011, 12:12
i would probably want something in a magnum round if you are worried about the animals you just mentioned. as previously stated, .357 would be good

DWARREN123
12-12-2011, 13:23
I like it for just about every situation. I carry a G20 for social interactions! :supergrin:

fredj338
12-12-2011, 13:52
For me, a trail gun has to be veristle. That just rules out any semiauto, even the mighty 10mm IMO. Ammo sensative, no shot rounds for snakes, not enough horsepower for dangerous game, not enough accuracy past 50yds. Better than a knife or fists, but IMO, real trail guns start w/ the 357mag & go up. Ammo cap means nothing in a trail gun designed to stop a bear. You need horsepower, & that doesn't come in any service caliber.

interlake869
12-12-2011, 17:02
im not so sure a hot 10mm round is any less powerful than any 357 round- the only thing a glock in 10mm wont do is shoot bird shot(cci comes to mind for .357).... anyhoo the 10mm is usually a heavier bullet with similar velocites and energy to .357- and you know what they say about carring a gun in a caliber that starts with the #4.... i have my g29 as accurate as any of my other guns i own at the distances they will be used in the bush( <50ft)

Tiro Fijo
12-12-2011, 17:45
...IMO, real trail guns start w/ the 357mag & go up. Ammo cap means nothing in a trail gun designed to stop a bear. You need horsepower, & that doesn't come in any service caliber.

Ditto. :wavey:

Short of having to cull a pack of rabid wolves in knee deep snow I see no benefit to the semi-auto as a trail gun. I honestly think most want a 10mm semi auto not for the power but for another reason. That is that deep down they feel scared to have only six shots and don't trust their capabilitites with a powerful SA revolver.

Ak.Hiker
12-12-2011, 20:56
Ditto. :wavey:

Short of having to cull a pack of rabid wolves in knee deep snow I see no benefit to the semi-auto as a trail gun. I honestly think most want a 10mm semi auto not for the power but for another reason. That is that deep down they feel scared to have only six shots and don't trust their capabilitites with a powerful SA revolver.

Or they want something light and handy that still has enough penetration with non expanding bullets to penetrate a bears skull. There must be a reason why the 10mm is popular in both Montana and Alaska with outdoorsman. I doubt it is they are afraid of their 44 Magnums and 454's. Except for the guy I heard about that borrowed a 454 to finish off a moose, fired it one handed and knocked himself upside the head with it.

fredj338
12-12-2011, 21:08
Or they want something light and handy that still has enough penetration with non expanding bullets to penetrate a bears skull. There must be a reason why the 10mm is popular in both Montana and Alaska with outdoorsman. I doubt it is they are afraid of their 44 Magnums and 454's. Except for the guy I heard about that borrowed a 454 to finish off a moose, fired it one handed and knocked himself upside the head with it.

That & face it, most guys do not want to put the trigger time in to learn how to shoot a heavy recoiling 41mag, 44mag or 45colt well. So the 10mm is the most powerful gun that can be shot easily by novice to average handgunners. That is probably the majority of outdoor tpye that hike & fish, they are not shooters first. Yes, I would take a 10mm before any other semiauto, but spend a bit of time w/ a 4" magnum & you are better armed against big things that want to hurt you, IMO. Add to that the versitility of the revolver & ammo, there really is no comparison. You can have birdshot, soft bunnyfart loads for taking grouse or rabbits for eating & loads that will go end to end on even a large 400#+ bear.

JimIsland
12-12-2011, 21:40
15 rounds of 10mm hollow point 200 gr. is some serious poop:whistling:

dkf
12-12-2011, 21:41
I guess you could call a G29 "light and handy" but not a G20. Might as well carry a .44mag 4" revolver vs the G20.

Tiro Fijo
12-13-2011, 00:19
...I doubt it is they are afraid of their 44 Magnums and 454's...

That & face it, most guys do not want to put the trigger time in to learn how to shoot a heavy recoiling 41mag, 44mag or 45colt well. So the 10mm is the most powerful gun that can be shot easily by novice to average handgunners...

I'm going to side again here with Fred on this as his experiences mirror mine in that many shooters (especially those under 40) want instant gratification and do not want to learn the revolver. That's fine as we're all in this together, however guns are like golf clubs. I wouldn't tee off with a sand wedge nor putt with a driver. i.e., there are better "clubs' for this scenario than a 10mm. The 10mm is a fine ctg., however many think that even with souped up loads they have a repeating 15 shot .41 Mag. They're wrong.

Jitterbug
12-13-2011, 08:28
For almost 40 years I've carried the .357, 10mm and .44 Magnum in the Central and Northern Rockies.

I traded in my .357's for the 10mm back in early 90's. I like revolvers and I like .357, but with 10mm I just don't have a need for the .357 in my woods arsenal any longer.

In Moose and Grizz country I prefer the .44 Mag, currently a 4" 629-6 loaded with a Bear Tooth Bullet, 280 gr. WFNGC @ 1150 fps, and I think this is on the light side especially if I have to contend with a Grizz. in which case I'd prefer something in the 300+ grain, 1200+ range but that would be pushing the 4" Smith to hard.

A 4-5.5" .45 Colt revolver is probably going to be in my future for a Northern Rockies woods gun.

Otherwise it's a 1911 10mm Commander loaded with BTB 200 gr. WFNGC doing 1150 fps or a Hornady 200 gr XTP depending on time of year.

In the winter when the bears are down I'll sometimes carry a light weight aluminum 1911 Commander in .45acp in areas where Mt. Lion would be the largest animal threat, though other then carry weight I do think the 10mm is the better choice here.

I got to agree with Tiro, the 10mm is not a .41 Mag, unless your .41 is loaded light, ballistically its revolver equivalent is .357 Magnum, a .41 Mag when properly loaded is way beyond the 10mm.

In my younger years I lugged around a 6.5" 629 Classic in .44 Mag. in area's where the largest threat was a black bear, I found the S&W 1006 to be a much easier carry with the quicker mag change and found it to be a better choice for carry.

As much as I love 10mm, I do have to admit if I'm in area's with lot's of Black Bears, I do feel a bit better armed with the .44 over the 10mm, with the exception of capacity and reload capability.

After 50 years of shooting I can hold my own, but it's a whole different ballgame when shooting to save your life, and a revolver goes empty real quick and that reload can be painfully slow.

Not that I want anyone to have to use a pistol in S.D., but I would be pleased as punch if the 10mm is found to be effective on Grizz/Moose and larger threats, but until we have more then just a few cases, I'm a bit skeptical.

Zombie Steve
12-13-2011, 09:35
Good post, Jitterbug.

I spend a lot of time in the mountains outside Colorado Springs. There are lions and black bear, but in ten years of living here, I've never managed to be bothered by them.

There's always considerations and compromises, as I alluded to before. If I'm camping out of the truck or it's a short hike, I'll go for more horsepower... .45 Colt or .44 mag (usually with some long gun). If I have to carry it up and across a few mountains along with a 50-60 pound pack, I start counting ounces. My 4" 686 in .357 mag usually gets the nod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7U-im5GKjA FFW to 30 seconds.

:rofl:

Glolt20-91
12-13-2011, 13:51
^ that's funny. :)

G20 with 200gr WFNs works for me with a Lonewolf barrel.

Currently I have a lot of mountain lion activity on my property and I'm trying to get a picture of the elusive, beautiful creature to no avail thus far. Came across sign of a large kill this morning in thick mesquite.

Given that the weather is Arizona bad, wet/40s, my outer clothing is layered, meaning I can get faster access to my 686/6" from a shoulder rig than my G20 OWB. In my experience, I am faster, with greater accuracy, on moving /multiple targets with the 686 than the G20.

Given that, when wearing less layers, the G20 gets hip time.

fredj338
12-13-2011, 14:39
Good post, Jitterbug.

I spend a lot of time in the mountains outside Colorado Springs. There are lions and black bear, but in ten years of living here, I've never managed to be bothered by them.

There's always considerations and compromises, as I alluded to before. If I'm camping out of the truck or it's a short hike, I'll go for more horsepower... .45 Colt or .44 mag (usually with some long gun). If I have to carry it up and across a few mountains along with a 50-60 pound pack, I start counting ounces. My 4" 686 in .357 mag usually gets the nod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7U-im5GKjA FFW to 30 seconds.

:rofl:
Steve, I don't think a 4" N frame or Redhawk weighs much more than a 4" 686 & you get a lot more bang for your buck. My Montana trail gun has been a 4 5/8" 45colt RBH/ss w/ 300grLFP @ 1100fps, plenty for the biggest of bears. I doubt one would stop inside a 600# anything. It out penetrates my 404jeffery w/ 400gr softs & that has taken 1500# buffalo. My newest trail piece though is a 3" M629. A bit lighter but I can still get 1050fps w/ 310grLFP, also not likely to stop inside anything large & scratchy. The reload thing, I just never see it happening. Anything that attacks you is coming fast & hard, you stop it or not w/ 2-3 shots, there will be no reload unless you can get to a tree.:dunno:

Zombie Steve
12-13-2011, 16:08
The only problem with the Redhawk, Fred, is that I don't have one. I do have the 4" 629 now as a possibility, but to be perfectly frank, I don't yet have the confidence with it that I've had with other guns. It barks quite a bit. Just a function of getting out and shooting it more.

Tiro Fijo
12-13-2011, 17:51
...Anything that attacks you is coming fast & hard, you stop it or not w/ 2-3 shots, there will be no reload unless you can get to a tree.:dunno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9D64GKHhBw

:supergrin:

fredj338
12-13-2011, 18:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9D64GKHhBw

:supergrin:

Well, a head shot w/ a lesser caliber would have done the same thing. There is a lot of footage of big nasties being hit multiple times in the body & still come & get the hunter. Nothing beats bullet placement, but enough gun & the right bullet is right up there. Most attacks are NOT telegraphed & come close & fast. 1,2, maybe 3shots are all you will get. The idea yo uwill empty your 10mm & get hits is laughable, especially while you are peeing yourself & wanting to run. Ones' concentration can wain.:upeyes:

Zombie Steve
12-13-2011, 19:13
If only Kid Cowboy could have had a 10mm, he'd dump a few mags into a charging bear before it got to him. In this, I have total faith.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments//1032486-KidCowboy1.jpg

Ak.Hiker
12-14-2011, 00:50
I'm going to side again here with Fred on this as his experiences mirror mine in that many shooters (especially those under 40) want instant gratification and do not want to learn the revolver. That's fine as we're all in this together, however guns are like golf clubs. I wouldn't tee off with a sand wedge nor putt with a driver. i.e., there are better "clubs' for this scenario than a 10mm. The 10mm is a fine ctg., however many think that even with souped up loads they have a repeating 15 shot .41 Mag. They're wrong.

Agreed on the 10mm. I purchased mine to replace my 4 inch Python that I gave to my son. Similar ballistics. A great winter hiking gun for me. As far as big bores go for some reason a heavy loaded 45 Colt 4 5/8 inch Blackhawk seems to have less felt recoil than my 44 Magnums. Both the 255 grain Keith load and a 300 grain Speer Unicore at 1200 in the Colt. I carry the 45 Colt quite a bit. The blued model only weighs 36 ounces unloaded. It may be my favorite big bore.

10-S
12-16-2011, 12:19
I dunno, boys. Thanks for your knowledge. It's between a G20 & a SW 329PD. I would definitely like something light & both are gtg. I could avoid those trails altogether and stay clear of the wild things.

fredj338
12-16-2011, 14:30
I dunno, boys. Thanks for your knowledge. It's between a G20 & a SW 329PD. I would definitely like something light & both are gtg. I could avoid those trails altogether and stay clear of the wild things.

I think ammo cap in the wild is waaay less important than raw power. You may only land 1-2 good shots, they need to count IMO. A G20 loaded weighs 40oz, not very light. A 329 comes in about 36, the 629 about 46oz. Many forget the ammo weighs quite a bit, so your G20 ends up w/ a lot of less than powerful rounds vs fewer more powerful rounds. Most can shoot a 10mm better than a 44mag though.Forget the easy reload, you won't have time. If you have to roll around in a fight on the ground, I don't want a semiauto that will jamb from a possible contact shot, you aren't going to be clearing a FTF either.
The trigger time needed to spend getting used to the 44mag is far greater. It's why so many like the 10mm as a do everything round, but if my life depends on stopping a big ugly, I want a big gun. I do & have spent the time to shoot a 44mag well though & that is the primary need, being able to place accurate powerful shots on a moving target, probably very, very close & determined. Then the round needs to be able to do enough damage to get it done. You can NOT count on getting a good headshot on a moving small moving object @ 25MPH+.

BWSmith
12-17-2011, 10:07
I found myself to be much more accurate with my G20 than my 357mag wheel gun. Combine that with hot ammo and 16 rounds and I am pretty comfortable hiking the North GA mountains in black bear territory. I would rather hit my mark with a 10mm than miss with a 454. As far as the Glock not taking snake shot ....... who cares? Snakes you walk around and leave them be. If you have enough time to shoot them, then you have enough time to avoid them. Bears (rarely) and Hogs will chase you down, a snake won't. The downside is the weight. I can really feel it bearing down on my hip after about an hour of hard hiking. I may keep my G20 hunting season when I may get a shot at a deer or hog and get a G29 for off season, strictly defensive carry. Just have to work up my reloads.

10-S
12-17-2011, 11:14
I found myself to be much more accurate with my G20 than my 357mag wheel gun. Combine that with hot ammo and 16 rounds and I am pretty comfortable hiking the North GA mountains in black bear territory. I would rather hit my mark with a 10mm than miss with a 454. As far as the Glock not taking snake shot ....... who cares? Snakes you walk around and leave them be. If you have enough time to shoot them, then you have enough time to avoid them. Bears (rarely) and Hogs will chase you down, a snake won't. The downside is the weight. I can really feel it bearing down on my hip after about an hour of hard hiking. I may keep my G20 hunting season when I may get a shot at a deer or hog and get a G29 for off season, strictly defensive carry. Just have to work up my reloads.

The G20sf looks like a winner along with a 357 or 40 drop-in barrel from KKM. I have a G30sf but I'd like to leave it as-is, not converting it to 10mm.

12-17-2011, 13:11

The 10mm in a G20 SF high cap, 15+1 would be a great pick as I see it’.., it's the one I use for the woods here. I like the 180gr full metal jacket at top end of its velocity’.., that’s the ticket; you may want too put in a supported barrel if your going to run the G20 at the top end, just a little safer. If your buying off the rack... and not P+P type ammo, the factory barrel should work fine I'm sure, but if you really think you might have to pop a blackie with one, get as much velocity as you can; their pretty tough customers when their pissed.:teddy:
Good luck

10-S
12-17-2011, 14:51
From where do you guys get your 10mm ammo?

unit1069
12-17-2011, 15:27
This all comes down to individual choice based upon personal circumstances.

I agree with everything the Magnum revolver advocates write, but as someone who doesn't spend a great amount of time in deep woods I freely admit I probably wouldn't put in the required time to master what's needed in a split second with a Magnum in hand. Reloading against wild animals --- fuggeddaboudit.

I recall the video circulating about six months back of the fishermen drifting downriver who came across two grizzly cubs when all of a sudden mamma bear charges right into the water after them. I don't think I'd be confident in my ability to remain calm.

From where I sit at the moment I still would pick 10mm because of capacity and the short reset DAO trigger. I suck with long DA trigger pull handguns and that alone could make a very big difference. I don't really know how I'd react to a large, charging wild animal and I'd like to think I'd keep my composure, but not knowing how I'd react tells me that I ought to stick with what styles I prefer in handguns.

Playing dead is Plan B if all else fails.

packinaglock
12-17-2011, 15:42
Indiana? I'm in Oregon and I carry a 10mm when I go hikeing...deep woods I switch over to a .44 magnum. DT has some good rounds, BearTooth 200 gr.

Thats what I use in my G20 for hogs, works very well.

12-17-2011, 17:29
There's a lot of talk about the hard hitting revolvers over the 10mm in the deep hunting woods; couldn't agree more. When I was talking about 10mm earlier it was base on hiking and biking. Now if you’re talking about Grizzly’s or Grizzly country, that's a whole different story. When I hunt Montana or Idaho and I know there might be a Big Bear around I carry my S&W M-29 6 1/2 inch with some very heavy hitting Keith loads; and even with that I realize I'm still under gunned for a Grizzly at CQC ranges; I know I'm going to have to get pretty lucky not to come out of that fight without a few pieces missing. In our camp we keep a few short barrels’ 18"... 3 inch 12ga's in our tents at night, with very hard hitting magnum slug loads… this is and has always been very good Big Bear medicine.
Getting back to the 10mm G20 SF… I still feel it’s perhaps the best all around solution for trips to the hills, pretty hard too count out the 10mm with 15+1 using the right bullets and load for protection, whether you’re in the woods or the two way range.
Just my .02

voiceofreason
12-17-2011, 18:34
180 or 200 grain loads FMJ

Ak.Hiker
12-18-2011, 00:32
From where do you guys get your 10mm ammo?

For me Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, or CorBon 200 grain FMJ's are all good. Blazer 200 grain TMJ's for practise. Hornady 200 grain XTP's are a good all round load as well.

K1500
12-20-2011, 01:01
I would rather have a 10mm than a .357. More power, capacity, and easier to carry and shoot well. A .44 offers more power still, but you have to decide if the weight penalty is worth it. I have switched from a 329pd to a G20sf for most of my woods use. I would not feel unarmed with a .357, and there are times I would rather have the power of the .44, but the 10 gets call most often. The 10 in an auto is also a better pd gun for me. I do like my 329, but it is brutal to shoot. I might choose it for backpacking in grizzly country where power and weight are at a premium, since it is lighter than my Glock20. 90% + of the time I carry the Glock.

Yenta Menenta
12-23-2011, 20:52
Why are you guys killing snakes? Try shooting a pissed off wild pig with rat shot and see if he leaves you alone. Semi related video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGkTXNAJqWY

12-24-2011, 11:56
Why are you guys killing snakes? Try shooting a pissed off wild pig with rat shot and see if he leaves you alone. Semi related video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGkTXNAJqWY

Interesting comment(s)'..., not quite sure what you mean; perhaps you could illuminate the terrain we find ourselves deployed in. Are you for or against the 10mm cartridge?
Merry Christmas

writwing
12-24-2011, 16:08
As far as big bores go for some reason a heavy loaded 45 Colt 4 5/8 inch Blackhawk seems to have less felt recoil than my 44 Magnums.

Yes it does. I suggest the writings of John Limbaugh for the explanation.

fredj338
12-24-2011, 21:53

In comperable weight guns pushing the same bullets @ the same vel, recoil will be identical. I have shot a lot of hot Ruger 45colt loads, they are right there for recoil w/ 44mag loads IMO. You can't change physics. Recoil is bullet wt x vel / gun wt. There are only very slight diff do to pressures & /or gas expansion in a given bore size.:dunno:

Tiro Fijo
12-24-2011, 22:37

Is he the brother of Rush? :rofl:

It's Linebaugh.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

Ak.Hiker
12-26-2011, 18:29
In comperable weight guns pushing the same bullets @ the same vel, recoil will be identical. I have shot a lot of hot Ruger 45colt loads, they are right there for recoil w/ 44mag loads IMO. You can't change physics. Recoil is bullet wt x vel / gun wt. There are only very slight diff do to pressures & /or gas expansion in a given bore size.:dunno:

I just go run a few cylinders of 454 Casull full power loads in my 454 before I bring out the 45 Colt. Then a 300 grain bullet at 1150 seems down right nice.

fredj338
12-26-2011, 21:05
I just go run a few cylinders of 454 Casull full power loads in my 454 before I bring out the 45 Colt. Then a 300 grain bullet at 1150 seems down right nice.

Or go shoot a 475Linbaugh & the 454Cas doesn't feel so bad.:supergrin: Me, I shoot 44mags way better than the 454Cas laoded full up. Sometimes there is just too much of a good thing.

Ak.Hiker
12-26-2011, 22:04
Or go shoot a 475Linbaugh & the 454Cas doesn't feel so bad.:supergrin: Me, I shoot 44mags way better than the 454Cas laoded full up. Sometimes there is just too much of a good thing.

I think the 454 is as far up the handgun power level I care to go. That 475 is one heck of a good gun though.

PrecisionRifleman
12-26-2011, 22:09
I use my G20Sf primarily as my hunting sidearm. I did however take a doe with with a handloaded 180gr XTP @ 1300FPS from a LW 6.02" barrel. The 10mm has plenty of power to get the job done. All you need to do is tailor the load to the task.

greenlion
12-27-2011, 16:34
Look up how many cyclists are killed by bears gators and hogs in the areas you ride in, and compare that to the number killed by accidental head injuries and violent humans. Statistically, what you need is a compact 9mm, and a good helmet.

greenlion
12-27-2011, 16:40

purrrfect 10
12-27-2011, 18:45

:rofl::rofl::rofl:I got to get me one of those :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yenta Menenta
12-27-2011, 20:14
Interesting comment(s)'..., not quite sure what you mean; perhaps you could illuminate the terrain we find ourselves deployed in. Are you for or against the 10mm cartridge?
Merry Christmas

I like it. The Glock 20 would be a hoss to take hiking but I carry mine when I hunt pigs on the ground.

12-28-2011, 15:12
I like it. The Glock 20 would be a hoss to take hiking but I carry mine when I hunt pigs on the ground.

Couldn't agree with you more... It's a great weapon and caliber for "Makin Bacon"....:pig: that's for sure.
Have a Happy New Year!

10-S
12-29-2011, 14:23
A G20sf/G29sf is not an easy find. The shops can all order one, but I'd sure like to hold it first. Makes me wonder about Glock's future support with the caliber.

12-29-2011, 17:50
A G20sf/G29sf is not an easy find. The shops can all order one, but I'd sure like to hold it first. Makes me wonder about Glock's future support with the caliber.

Yes they have been getting a little hard to find these days... but then, hand gun sales are up Nation wide.
Personally I went with the G20 SF and never looked back, I like the 8.07" length over the G29 SF 6.97" I figured if I was going to start cutting back on barrel length in the hard hitting 10mm; I might as well shoot a compact .40 S&W in a G27
Just thinking out loud, I think you'd really like the G20 SF unless you have real small hands.

spyduh
12-29-2011, 18:24
I carry my G20SF and DT 230gr's.

Note: 230gr's dont spin right in the factory barrel and are not accurate. You'll need to use an aftermarket barrel. i.e. LW. Or step down to DT Hardcast 200gr's with the factory barrel.

CrackerJack86
01-02-2012, 15:14
I have a S&W 586 357 magnum, I also have a Glock 20 10mm. IMO the Glock 10mm is the only way to go for a trail gun for Black bear and smaller. Lot more capacity more choice for ammo.
My 10 mm is my daily carry. For me it doesn't get any better then 10mm.

:perfect10: All the Way

PERRRFECT 10 hit it on the head

Noles26
01-02-2012, 19:30
Hell, I take a 10mm everywhere.

:thumbsup:

battlerageson53
01-07-2012, 10:02

I had to order one since everywhere I checked here was out. As for holding one, it has the same frame as G21SF which I already had so I knew how it would fit my hand :cool:

ViennaGambit
01-07-2012, 23:39
Questions for you 10mm guys:

1. How does the recoil out of the G29 compare to the G20?

2. Is the difference in recoil comparable with going from a G23 to a G27? I like the G23, but absolutely HATE the G27. Is the G20 vs G29 as dramatic?

3. Is the G29 similar to the G30 recoil wise?

Tiro Fijo
01-08-2012, 00:42
...I like the G23, but absolutely HATE the G27. Is the G20 vs G29 as dramatic?..

Yep. :supergrin:

PrecisionRifleman
01-09-2012, 18:57
i would probably want something in a magnum round if you are worried about the animals you just mentioned. as previously stated, .357 would be good

10mm has more punch than 357 magnum and it's in an auto loading platform. The doe I dropped with this combination this past season was @ 50 yards with a warm hand loaded 180gr XTP (1300fps in the 6.02" barrel). The bullet made a complete pass through taking out about 4" of spine. The 10mm will get the job done for what the OP is asking.

If you still have any doubts about this calibers performance take it hunting and give it a go for yourself. You won' t be disappointed!

tsmo1066
01-09-2012, 20:18
10mm is a great "trail gun" round for anything you're likely to run into in the lower 48. With the right loads, it's a deep-penetrating round that's easy to carry in a mid-sized platform and will serve you well.

OregonG20
01-11-2012, 17:36
10mm is a great "trail gun" round for anything you're likely to run into in the lower 48. With the right loads, it's a deep-penetrating round that's easy to carry in a mid-sized platform and will serve you well.

And accurate, despite what some in this thread have said. I will take the Pepsi challenge on accuracy with mine anytime...lol.

This is my best grouping with my G20 with a stock barrel.

13.8 grs of AA#9 (over AA book max, well under hornady book max.)
180gr XTP
CCI300
Starline brass
1.26 COL

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/roryhunt/DSC02417.jpg

I shot this group from the hood of my truck, not off hand, but now I know for sure with that load, when I miss it was me, not the pistol. I don't have a chrony, but others that do have chrono'd the same load at 1250 fps out of a 4.6 inch barrel. That's 625 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzzle. Not too shabby.

This was the second 5 shot string, aiming for the lower corner, had 4 in one big hole and one flier.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/roryhunt/DSC02418.jpg

PrecisionRifleman
01-16-2012, 21:30
My G20sf is very accurate. Even surprisingly accurate at 100 yards ...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Teecher45
01-18-2012, 22:05
10mm has more punch than 357 magnum...
And someone else said the 10mm had more ammo choices.
Neither true.
And a .44 magnum (loaded equally) has 300-400 more foot pounds of energy. A .454 has double.
You will not have the opportunity to unload a 15 round mag at a charging animal. Better to hit it once with something with some ass behind it.

10-S
02-16-2012, 15:11

Ended up with a G29sf. Got it today & shot 50 rds through it. The frame size is perfect for my hand. Sweet shooter! But you knew that.:cool:

Buckeye63
02-16-2012, 22:05
I've I've got 7 357 mag.s in my safe ,1 S&W ,3 Rugers,1 Dan Wesson, 1 Charter ,and a Puma Carbine.....

I'd still most likely grab my G20

Frontal area is one reason and the use of 180gr. to 230 gr. bullets..

.400-.357 =.043 difference

Buckeye63
02-16-2012, 22:15
As for the 44mag...great round.....a sure show stopper.....quick follow up shots are very difficult though ,due to recovery from recoil ...

One revolver caliber that has always intrigued me was the 41 mag.... truly a very versatile round ...loaded up or down 175 gr. SD for two legged vermin ,and 210 gr. for four legged....

But I'd choose a 357 mag or a 41 mag or a 10mm over the 44 Mag...(unless we where talking about greater bears) due to recoil...and slower recovery...

CanyonMan
02-17-2012, 08:27
10MM For Trail Gun?

No... Not on real large hogs and bear. The last time I was 'hooked' into walking in a Tennessee swamp with my cousin on a visit there, to go "fishing," and in a waist deep cypress swampy mess (which i have always hated..I.E. SWAMPS) I carried in my hand a 44 mag cause of the gators... I'm still here, but that is no longer my choice of fishing holes when visiting the southren realitives ha.

I'll stick with the rattlers hogs and cougars in W. Texas ! haha.

After 50 years hunting and a very long time guiding all over. The 45LC and the 44mag, and the 357mag with hard cast heavy bullets have all served well... As far as hand guns go. Some places and things just call for a rifle ! ;)

This..

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/0413011654.jpg

With these

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/cid__1205001053.jpg

Or this..

357mag

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/DSCN1549.jpg

Good luck !

CM

walt cowan
02-18-2012, 19:44
I think the 10mm would be a great choice for your needs. I prefer the 200 grain loads.

yes sireeeeeee.:supergrin::wavey:

10-S
02-18-2012, 20:09
No... Not on real large hogs and bear. The last time I was 'hooked' into walking in a Tennessee swamp with my cousin on a visit there, to go "fishing," and in a waist deep cypress swampy mess (which i have always hated..I.E. SWAMPS) I carried in my hand a 44 mag cause of the gators... I'm still here, but that is no longer my choice of fishing holes when visiting the southren realitives ha.

I'll stick with the rattlers hogs and cougars in W. Texas ! haha.

After 50 years hunting and a very long time guiding all over. The 45LC and the 44mag, and the 357mag with hard cast heavy bullets have all served well... As far as hand guns go. Some places and things just call for a rifle ! ;)

This..

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/0413011654.jpg

With these

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/cid__1205001053.jpg

Or this..

357mag

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/DSCN1549.jpg

Good luck !

CM

That is some mighty impressive hardware and I'm jealous.

10-S
02-18-2012, 20:11
Originally Posted by Ak.Hiker View Post

yes sireeeeeee.:supergrin::wavey:

I'll be ordering some soon. Just bought 400 rds of Win Silvertips 175g.

gator378
02-21-2012, 14:59

I have done it, but you must understand its limitations. For woods protection I am partial to the 44 Mag, my favorite handgun although I have the Glock 20 and 21.

CanyonMan
02-21-2012, 16:22
I have done it, but you must understand its limitations. For woods protection I am partial to the 44 Mag, my favorite handgun although I have the Glock 20 and 21.

'Minimum' (depending on the trail. haha. I'm with ya Pard) ! :thumbsup:

CM

SDGlock23
02-22-2012, 11:37
Sure a 10mm will work, but most people overhype the round. 357 Mag is better than 10mm, but even better yet are big heavy .45 caliber bullets!

CanyonMan
02-22-2012, 13:58
Sure a 10mm will work, but most people overhype the round. 357 Mag is better than 10mm, but even better yet are big heavy .45 caliber bullets!

Like these..

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/cid__1120011425.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/0621000933-2-2.jpg

Out of this :

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/08_14.jpg

One of my favorite "Packin Guns." 45LC

CM

Ak.Hiker
02-23-2012, 23:07
Took my 45 Colt with me today on a snowshoe walk. This time of year a 255 grain Keith is my choice.

CanyonMan
02-24-2012, 08:18
Took my 45 Colt with me today on a snowshoe walk. This time of year a 255 grain Keith is my choice.

Hey amigo ! How are ya ?

Here you are walking with snow shoes and we're just wanting a little rain ! ha. We're up to 1 1/2" for the year.

Have fun and be safe pard. Good to jaw with ya!

CM

Zombie Steve
02-24-2012, 08:42
As for the 44mag...great round.....a sure show stopper.....quick follow up shots are very difficult though ,due to recovery from recoil ...

One revolver caliber that has always intrigued me was the 41 mag.... truly a very versatile round ...loaded up or down 175 gr. SD for two legged vermin ,and 210 gr. for four legged....

But I'd choose a 357 mag or a 41 mag or a 10mm over the 44 Mag...(unless we where talking about greater bears) due to recoil...and slower recovery...

It's really easy to load .44 mag rounds to .41 mag levels, or .45 auto levels if you prefer (.44 special). I almost never go shooting or even carry full power .44 mag around in the hills here.

Same as .45 Colt. There's a whole different section in the reloading manual for .45 Colt in strong frames like a Blackhawk. So, you can load cowboy action powder puff loads to supersonic 300 grain bullets.

I guess my point is the ceiling for a given cartridge is pretty fixed. I see a ton of guys that want uberhot 10mm or .357 mag. I tend to buy more gun than I'll need and load it down to a more suitable level. Lower pressures, easier on the gun, and the horsepower is there if you want it.

:thumbsup: