Accuracy Problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy Problems

aarolar
12-11-2011, 16:59
I just bought a Glock 21 with the intentions of turning it into a hunting platform for whitetails and piggies plus using it as a woods gun while cutting firewood and such. Plans are to go 45 super and possibly longslide it. Today I took it out for the first time and am rather disappointed in what I have so far. Gun for now is bone stock with tru dot sights. I had three loads worked up that I tried.

4.6 grains Titegroup 200grn LRN CCI primers
5.1 grains Unique 200grn LRN CCI primers
8.0 grains Unique 185grn XTP CCI primers

Accuracy with either of the lead loads were horrible like shotgun patterns and wasn't much improved with the XTP load but was alittle better. I am really starting to doubt my choice of platform. I was shooting off a bench at 20 yds and getting 5 inch groups. What I am curious about from you guys is are these normal patterns from this gun or is it shooters error somewhere. And if its shooters error where should I look to correct it? I am a pretty good shot with my Buckmark and Kahr from the same distance/setup so I want to blame the gun but I am being open minded. Any suggestions, theory's, useful experiences, funny anecdotes?:whistling:

ArmyDoc
12-11-2011, 20:40
Can only compare to my own experience. It took me a bit to get used to the trigger (coming from revolver) but once used to it I was able to consistantly hit 4 inch targets at 20-30 yards, and 6 inches at 50. Sorry, I don't shoot paper much any more, so I can't give you group size. I have to say it's definitly not a target piece, but I was able to hit a fox squirrel at 25 yards last week. Hit where I was aiming, that's about all I can ask for.

castroj
12-11-2011, 22:40
To improve your Glock platform for hunting. Is nothing more than preping the old Colt warhorse for USPSA competition in the old days. I start by polishing the trigger system according to "The Complete Glock Reference Guide". Then to shorten locktime, I drop in a Titanium Striker and Safety Plunger. If you opt to shoot lead bullets at high velocity like .45Super then you will need at least a conventionally rifled dropin Barsto barrel to safely shoot lead bullets accurately. And to handle those high pressure loads I would drop in a stainless guide rod with a 21 lbs. recoil rod. Then test, adjust sights if needed, and then go Shoot 'em!!! :wow:

aarolar
12-12-2011, 17:39
I greatly appreciate all the input so far I have a barrel and guide rod on the way and I'll look into the rest of the parts you suggest once I get the barrel and access the deal.

Jim S.
12-15-2011, 08:27
I'm sorry but I don't consider a .45 ACP anywhere near a good enough round for hunting White Tails.
Unless of course you expect to be able to sneak up on them and shoot em in the back of the head.

SDGlock23
12-28-2011, 14:17
The .45 will do just fine on deer. I don't see any 230gr loads listed, is there a reason for this? I like to use, and have had good accuracy with 5gr WST and 6gr of Unique using 230gr bullets. Also I don't really like the stock glock sights, get a good set of Ameriglo Operators so that you have night sights and a much better sight picture.

Also, are you accustomed to shooting Glocks? I say this because most people who have accuracy issues aren't familiar and/or experienced with the Glock trigger system.

My G21sf with the 5gr WST (230gr load from above) at around 15 yards, standing:
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/517/20111201165342.jpg