Powder stuck in Neck? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Powder stuck in Neck?

gforester
12-11-2011, 22:40
I just started loading .223 Remington in the last couple weeks. I'm using the RCBS case lube that came with my press. I am having a problem with my powder collecting in the neck of the case due to the stickiness of the residual case lube. I suppose it isn't a lot of powder, perhaps only a few tenths of a grain, but I'm a Virgo and little things like that annoy the piss out of me.

This weekend I tried washing the cases with mineral spirits after sizing them and it didn't seem to remove any of the lube. Next I tried spraying them down with some brake cleaner and had a little better results but still had powder sticking to the neck. Next up was swabbing the necks out with a Cutip to try and remove the lube. That helped some, but still had powder sticking. Not even mentioning the added pain in the ass step of swabbing them out.

Am I being overly anal about making sure all the powder drops into the bottom of the case? Is there another way of removing the lube from the case neck before dropping the powder?

ColoCG
12-11-2011, 23:13
No, I don't think your being anal. The lube can effect your powders burning and worse that much lube can effect your accuracy by causing poor neck tension on your bullets.

You shouldn't be having that much lube in your case necks. Try using Hornady One Shot spray lube or one of the other spray lubes that are oil free and you won't have that problem.

nrabnf
12-11-2011, 23:23
Get rid of the case lube and use Imperial Sizing wax...great stuff

Steve in PA
12-11-2011, 23:53
Why are you getting lube in the case neck??

DoctaGlockta
12-12-2011, 08:30
Why are you getting lube in the case neck??

Great question. Inquiring minds want to know.

gforester
12-12-2011, 08:41
Great question. Inquiring minds want to know.

The instructions that came with the Rock Chucker said to use the case neck brush to apply a thin film of lube into the case neck to prevent the case from sticking into the resizing die.

I think I am going to try some of the mica dry lube next time around.

DoctaGlockta
12-12-2011, 09:00
The instructions that came with the Rock Chucker said to use the case neck brush to apply a thin film of lube into the case neck to prevent the case from sticking into the resizing die.

I think I am going to try some of the mica dry lube next time around.

I never place lube inside the neck for my 223. You shouldn't need any at all there. JMHO.

Boxerglocker
12-12-2011, 09:30
Dillon steel sizing die with carbide ball decapping pin, Horandy one shot or Dillon spray lube, tumble after sizing and depriming in dry corncob for about a hour afterward to remove the lube then load away.

unclebob
12-12-2011, 10:09
If you are going to lube the case mouth? You use a dry media, like the Mica dry lube. I well assume that you are using RCBS dies. They make a carbide sizing button that replaces the steel one on the decapping rod.

gforester
12-12-2011, 11:14
If you are going to lube the case mouth? You use a dry media, like the Mica dry lube. I well assume that you are using RCBS dies. They make a carbide sizing button that replaces the steel one on the decapping rod.

Yes, I am using the RCBS X Die for resizing/decapping, and Lee's for the bullet seating and factory crimping.

Steve in PA
12-12-2011, 11:16
Yes, those are what the instructions do say, but I am willing to bet you are using too much lube on the brush. Just roll the brush lightly on the pad then brush the inside of the case neck. I also second the use of dry mica if you really want to do something to the inside of the case neck.

jolly roger
12-12-2011, 11:26
Case-Imperial Sizing Wax
Neck-Ceramic Dry Lube

Both Redding products. Both excellent. I shop at Graf and Sons but I believe you can get this at Midway, Natchez, etc. also. Oily lubes suck IMHO...

PCJim
12-12-2011, 22:50
I'm with Boxer on this one. No case neck lubing necessary. I've found that the standard 55gr bullets, or any BT design base for that matter, do not require a lube. The absence of lube provides a better neck purchase on the seated bullet.

Tumble, lube with a spray lube, resize/deprime, tumble again for 15 minutes to remove the lube. Then proceed with the remaining required steps.

Esox357
12-13-2011, 13:10
Every six shell I will apply a small amount of lube to the neck. I resize and then wipe clean all my brass, the shells I put the lube in the neck, I use a cotton swab to wipe clean the inside of the neck by swirling it around 3 to 4 times. The reason for the lube in the neck is to help avoid stretching the brass when the ball expander is in the case.

Three-Five-Seven
12-13-2011, 16:16
It happens.

Knock the kernals of sticking powder into the case with a paper clip, bullet tip, or tip of a pencil.

No problem. No matter what you do, this will occasionally happen and causes no issues with ballistics. A significant amount of lube in the mouth of the case, however, will affect bullet tension and pull, which will have an affect of ballistics.

gforester
12-13-2011, 18:33
It happens.

Knock the kernals of sticking powder into the case with a paper clip, bullet tip, or tip of a pencil.

No problem. No matter what you do, this will occasionally happen and causes no issues with ballistics. A significant amount of lube in the mouth of the case, however, will affect bullet tension and pull, which will have an affect of ballistics.

That is what I have been doing. I think Santa is going to help with this issue. I heard that he is going to bring me this for Xmas. :supergrin:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/565099/rcbs-trim-mate-case-prep-center-110-volt

gforester
12-20-2011, 19:48
I tried tumbling the brass after sizing, trimming and deburring and it worked rather well. I had no problems with the powder sticking in the neck this time around.

I also went by a LGS and picked up a can of Hornady One-Shot today and tried that this afternoon on some random range pickup brass I had. It was much easier to lube with the spray and was not nearly as messy as handling the brass lubed with the RCBS lube. I think I may continue to use the One-Shot on the exterior of the cases along with the mica neck lube station Santa is going to bring me.

Thank for all the suggestions and pointers guys, it is really appreciated!