Bill would ban guns from gas stations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bill would ban guns from gas stations

HerrGlock
12-12-2011, 02:30
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/135351193.html#!page=1&viewAll=1&sort=newestfirst

10-32
12-12-2011, 02:38
That is a counterproductive idea at best.

And what's this making any act of theft at a gas station a felony? Really?
I mean I'm not pro-thief by any means, but I hardly think a felony charge is appropriate for some moron who decides to swipe a candy bar.

bithabus
12-12-2011, 02:55
He thinks banning permit holders from carrying will decrease robberies? Insanity.

Lior
12-12-2011, 06:10
With insane bills like this, I would not be surprised if some gunowners in the US have to spend more time defending their rights than working.

pipedreams
12-12-2011, 06:21
Just remember this is Wisconsin and it going to take time for the anti's to get over the fact that CC is now legal.

giant_pita
12-12-2011, 06:36
What an idiot. I wonder if he was one of the dems who fled the state rather than participate in the process they were sent there to do?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

EAJuggalo
12-12-2011, 06:44
Nope, the house members all stayed, it was the senators that fled.

Steve50
12-12-2011, 07:26
there's no fixing stupid..

liberty addict
12-12-2011, 07:34
Delete

Bren
12-12-2011, 07:40
Silly bill, but it's the standard anti-gun tactic: "take little bits wherever you can, until it adds up to something big."

No carry in bars
No carry in schools
No carry in gas stations
No carry in liquor stores
No carry in malls
No carry at public gatherings
etc., etc.

Pretty soon, you have a carry permit, but it's so limited and so difficult to carry people are discouraged from applying.

The "no carry in gas stations" thing is really genius, obviously thought up by anti-gun advocates, because everybody has to get gas and it would cause every CCWer a problem and make carry difficult.

Gaucho
12-12-2011, 07:44
If only they would outlaw theft from gas stations then this wouldn't be an issue..... oh. :)

cowboy1964
12-12-2011, 07:47
Stupid stupid stupid. Gas stations are one of the most common places for self-defense incidents.... just look at YouTube for literally hundreds of examples.

This would never survive a court challenge. WI already has signage as part of their law, right? Why is that not sufficient? I've never heard of a state banning CCW on private property other than churches and liquor establishments.

How about just increasing the penalties for using a gun IN A CRIME? Gas stations or wherever. I guess that would make too much sense and doesn't fit the anti's agenda.

RYT 2BER
12-12-2011, 07:52
I had read this article yesterday but I didnt post it because it almost made me throw up in my mouth.

I hate to come off sounding like a partisan POS, but I swear, everytime I see some worthless, ignorant, freedom robbing piece of submitted legislation, the person always has a (D-) listed in front of their name.

Plus what amazed me the most is that poll after poll shows that vastly more Americans do not favor this kind of legislation or tactic... Arent politicians supposed to focus on what "vastly more Americans want" vs what they do not want???

b_oglethorpe
12-12-2011, 07:56
CCW holders may lessen the crime not increase it. What a silly guy.

redbaron007
12-12-2011, 08:34
Typical liberal incrementalism at it's best. They know they can't overturn CCW, so they whittle it down, piece by piece.

Stuff like this will be filed year after year, in hopes at some point it'll stick and they will start the dismantling of CCW law.

:wavey:

red

BailRecoveryAgent
12-12-2011, 08:36
This is a double leftwing liberal conspiracy. First, an infringement upon 2a rights. Second, they are hoping gun owners will all go out and buy Chevy Volts and Nissan Leaf's so we can avoid gas stations, which plays into their gameplan to liberalize even the most conservative conservatives.

redbaron007
12-12-2011, 09:12
This is a double leftwing liberal conspiracy. First, an infringement upon 2a rights. Second, they are hoping gun owners will all go out and buy Chevy Volts and Nissan Leaf's so we can avoid gas stations, which plays into their gameplan to liberalize even the most conservative conservatives.

:rofl: :rofl: :animlol:

:wavey:

red

Triple7
12-12-2011, 11:21
Into gas station buildings or at the pump.....I don't ever go into stations anymore

HerrGlock
12-12-2011, 11:44
Into gas station buildings or at the pump.....I don't ever go into stations anymore

An Act to amend 175.60 (2g) (a), 175.60 (5) (a) 6., 938.78 (3) and 943.13 (1m) (c) 2.; and to create 941.236, 943.01 (2) (bm) and 943.20 (3) (d) 2. of the statutes; relating to: going armed with a handgun on the premises of a gas station, theft from a gas station, causing damage to a gas station, and providing a penalty.

Illegal to carry on the premises, that includes at the pump.

cowboy1964
12-12-2011, 11:53
Does the bill exclude employees/owners of the gas station? If it didn't that would doubly stupid.

HerrGlock
12-12-2011, 11:56
Does the bill exclude employees/owners of the gas station? If it didn't that would doubly stupid.

Does not apply to:
(e) The owner or manager of the gas station, or any employee or agent authorized to possess a handgun by the owner or manager of the gas station.

Doesn't matter, it's just a bill to make it not worthwhile to carry even though CCW has passed. That's all these bills are meant to do.

Bren
12-12-2011, 12:15

Yep, that's the genius of it, as I said. It would virtually overrule the concealed weapon law that they just passed - especially if a gun in your car is a "concealed weapon" in Wisconsin.

HerrGlock
12-12-2011, 12:24
Yep, that's the genius of it, as I said. It would virtually overrule the concealed weapon law that they just passed - especially if a gun in your car is a "concealed weapon" in Wisconsin.

Something pretty close to that silliness was the law in OH, NC, and GA when they first got their laws. They've since been cleaned up IMMENSELY and are actually worthwhile in all three of those states.

Some WI legislators seem to want to do opposite of every other state in the union, though.

Sippo
12-12-2011, 12:44
Hmmm. Let's see. I'll cancel my plans to rob and murder that gasoline attendent.... because it's illegal to carry a handgun there!

Just plan stupid logic.

HarleyGuy
12-12-2011, 13:41
In most cases, the "no carry zones" were estalished in order to get the necessary number of votes needed to pass concealed carry legislation.

We all know that no law will keep a criminal or a mentally deranged person from entering a school, church, hospital, or Post Office and opening fire on totally defenseless, innocent people.

So, the question is, what good is served by these so called "no gun zones"?

windplex
12-12-2011, 13:54

yes carrying a gun in the cabin of your car, even in plain sight, is concealed carry by definition here.

windplex
12-12-2011, 14:02
Silly bill, but it's the standard anti-gun tactic: "take little bits wherever you can, until it adds up to something big."

No carry in bars
No carry in schools
No carry in gas stations
No carry in liquor stores
No carry in malls
No carry at public gatherings
etc., etc.

Pretty soon, you have a carry permit, but it's so limited and so difficult to carry people are discouraged from applying.

The "no carry in gas stations" thing is really genius, obviously thought up by anti-gun advocates, because everybody has to get gas and it would cause every CCWer a problem and make carry difficult.

precisely what they are doing/attempting. Liberals are setting new lows here to nullify anything they dont like -- elections; laws -- you name it there is not depth they wont stoop to here.

Bren
12-12-2011, 14:18
yes carrying a gun in the cabin of your car, even in plain sight, is concealed carry by definition here.

I figured that, since it answers the "why" question about this bill. If you can't stop for gas while your gun is in your passenger compartment, you can't travel armed without a lot of planning and incovenience, so it would discourage carry and allow the anti-gun politicians to cause trouble for CCWers.

Here in KY, anybody over 18, who can possess a firearms under federal law can carry a loaded gun in their glove compartment, so we would just have to take it out of the holster and put it in the glove compartment, but most states don't have that much freedom.

tuica
12-12-2011, 14:43
And criminals always obey every and all "no firearm carry" laws.

dwhite53
12-12-2011, 14:55
With the unquestionable success of the current bans on marijuana, heroin, and cocaine in the U.S. how can ANYONE DOUBT how EFFECTIVE this bill would be in DETERRING CRIME?

It's simply preventing the law abiding folks from carrying at gas stations.

Not allowing these same law abiding people IN the gas stations would most CERTAINLY REDUCE SHOP-LIFTING LOSSES ALSO. (Stupid politicians can NEVER see the BIG picture, jeez:upeyes:)

I just don't get you people.:whistling:

All the Best,
D. White

ChadN.
12-12-2011, 15:27
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/135351193.html#!page=1&viewAll=1&sort=newestfirst

Well now, no point in self-defense at gas stations, since criminals will naturally have to follow this law. :supergrin:

I wonder what these politicians are on! :rofl:

NecoDude
12-12-2011, 15:38
This is truly one of the dumbest things I've ever seen come from one of the amazing galactically stupid people.

Just make it another safe place for the criminal element to harm the law abiding.

JC2317
12-12-2011, 15:58
I clicked on this political hacks name and it linked to his website, and his e mail. I tried to explain how this made no sense. I'm guessing the only outcome will be the nausea that reading this story has already caused.
But I tried. No one can be this stupid. He is trying to score points with the anti-gun left in that state. What a joke.

Deaf Smith
12-12-2011, 16:51
He thinks banning permit holders from carrying will decrease robberies?

Sure he is! Why there have to make gas stations SAFE for robbers, right? Can't have any gun play (or at least gun play that goes toward the robbers.) Them robbers are voters to!

And we all know robbers obey the laws!

Deaf

OctoberRust
12-12-2011, 16:55
Guys, this is for the children. :crying: Please, think of the children. :crying:

RussP
12-12-2011, 17:36
He thinks banning permit holders from carrying will decrease robberies? Insanity.That pretty much sums it up...

HerrGlock
12-12-2011, 18:08
Man Fires Shots Inside Gas Station

http://www.wisn.com/r/29981023/detail.html

JC2317
12-12-2011, 18:24
It should read " Thug fires shots in Gas station Lawmakers want you to be at his mercy"
Give me a break. Are people this stupid.
I know stupid question.

pizza_pablo
12-12-2011, 22:12
Are gas stations banks, now? WTF \_0_/

Bren
12-13-2011, 04:50
I clicked on this political hacks name and it linked to his website, and his e mail. I tried to explain how this made no sense. .

It only "makes no sense" if this bill wouldn't accomplish his purpose. If his purpose is to stop people from carrying guns, and it is, then the bill makes perfect sense.

Vic777
12-13-2011, 05:03
Just put all the Gas Stations in Schools .... Problem solved!

Psychman
12-13-2011, 05:06
One of the most dangerous places I go is the gas station, many times early in the morning. I would never be unarmed.

DoubleWide
12-13-2011, 11:41
When I lived in Milwaukee and the surrounding area, the two main places I have carried are in the vehicle and at a gas station. I would make sure that I had plenty of gas so I wouldn't have to stop at a north side gas station. Just a few too many muggings and shootings. You can pick nicer neighborhoods to live and work in, but eventually you're going to run into some knucklehead at a gas station or on the road.

TexasFats
12-13-2011, 12:58
Anybody who thinks that "liberals" don't get it or propose this sort of legislation is kidding themselves. The top folks in the "liberal" camp (really totalitarian leftists) know that this sort of thing doesn't reduce crime. The name of the game is disarm the peasants by any means possible, including back-door attacks on rights like this.

windplex
12-13-2011, 12:58
It only "makes no sense" if this bill wouldn't accomplish his purpose. If his purpose is to stop people from carrying guns, and it is, then the bill makes perfect sense.

the purpose it just what Bren says. Nothing to do with safety at gas stations. this is incrementalism to destroy the new CCW law. and well thought out -- a felony to drive into a gas station with a gun on you or in the passenger compartment even if locked. A freakin felony to pump gas with a gun.

not a single democrat is upset that felons in posession of a gun (illegal) is the first charged dropped to clean up the bill against them. the second thing dropped for a felon is illegal concealed carry of a gun. felons know how the system works. they know they do not get in trouble for the gun. while we law abiding are truly concerned to get a record for carrying a gun improperly and loosing our rights to own and carry a weapon. so only the law abiding are motivated by this law. why wasnt this law enacted when felons frequently carried guns and used them at gas stations all those years BEFORE CCW was legal???? Lots of people were shot at gas stations before the CCW law but no such law was ever proposed to make them safer.

it is a naked attack on the ccw law.

When I lived in Milwaukee and the surrounding area, the two main places I have carried are in the vehicle and at a gas station. I would make sure that I had plenty of gas so I wouldn't have to stop at a north side gas station. Just a few too many muggings and shootings. You can pick nicer neighborhoods to live and work in, but eventually you're going to run into some knucklehead at a gas station or on the road.

been to some of those gas stations where shooting took place and gased up in the daylight before i changed my gas strategy. now i gas up at 1/2 a tank where i choose to do it. still an issue for ccw rights.

windplex
12-13-2011, 13:03
Anybody who thinks that "liberals" don't get it or propose this sort of legislation is kidding themselves. The top folks in the "liberal" camp (really totalitarian leftists) know that this sort of thing doesn't reduce crime. The name of the game is disarm the peasants by any means possible, including back-door attacks on rights like this.

yes. this a very cleaver chess move to end ccw without attacking it directly.

jonh q public will think: "well that seems reasonable to dissallow guns at gas stations. after all those guys are robbed by gun toting people all the time."

the average WI resident will take this at face value and not realize the cowardly attack against a very popular law that they dare not attempt to eliminate by attacking it head on.

JC2317
12-13-2011, 14:56

You are right.

Dragoon44
12-13-2011, 15:37
No surprises here another Demorat upset that his constituent base is being decimated by law abiding armed citizens.

However si the demorat party going to prevail if it's voters are getting shot?

pipedreams
12-13-2011, 17:29
Man Fires Shots Inside Gas Station

http://www.wisn.com/r/29981023/detail.html

Interesting thing about this story is there is no mention if the man was illegally carrying the gun or did he have a carry permit. The manager talks about the man being a regular customer but there is no mention if the man had met the state CC requirements.

harrygunner
12-13-2011, 18:01
If it passes, regularly tell gas station owners near Minnesota (get a Utah permit) and Iowa borders how you leave the state to fill up.

ICARRY2
12-13-2011, 19:34

An Act to amend 175.60 (2g) (a), 175.60 (5) (a) 6., 938.78 (3) and 943.13 (1m) (c) 2.; and to create 941.236, 943.01 (2) (bm) and 943.20 (3) (d) 2. of the statutes; relating to: going armed with a handgun on the premises of a gas station, theft from a gas station, causing damage to a gas station, and providing a penalty.

If the liberals get their way this law will be useless because all of the gas stations will have been torn down since we will all be driving electric cars that we charge in our garages. :tongueout:

HerrGlock
12-14-2011, 01:42
Interesting thing about this story is there is no mention if the man was illegally carrying the gun or did he have a carry permit. The manager talks about the man being a regular customer but there is no mention if the man had met the state CC requirements.

I would be willing to bet a paycheck he didn't have a permit. It's just being used to show why this bill is "needed"

rjflyn
12-14-2011, 12:54
Should we just rename these Car Jacking stations, the only time I ever go in to one is if in traveling. My local 7-11's here dont sell gas, that and I fuel more often than not at Costco cause its cheaper.

There are a few West side Detroit locations I wouldnt fuel open carry, or with a partner open carry covering me. Beyond that there are a couple locations that if I were to own a large expensive SUV, I wouldn't fuel without someone covering me with an assault rifle.

Spiffums
12-14-2011, 17:12
Good law....... we need to protect the poor mis guided youth(s) who are just turning their life around when they slip up and knock over a gas station...........

janice6
12-14-2011, 17:34
Wisconsin should be able to look at MN and see all the problems with guns in gas stations........What?......No problems?......No Bill!

Glockdude1
12-14-2011, 17:55
I love Texas more and more everyday.

:supergrin:

fla2760
12-14-2011, 18:07
Another blue party card holder proves they are brain dead.

Deaf Smith
12-14-2011, 19:34
I love Texas more and more everyday.

:supergrin:

Yep me to! But I wish Texas would go the way of Vermont and just do away with the CHL (except if you want to carry out of state.)

Deaf

Paul53
12-14-2011, 19:40

For what gas is costing lately I was expecting gas stations to be hiring armed guards really soon. Maybe they're just making it safe to steal gas from the thieving gas companies.

H3br3wHamm3r
12-14-2011, 19:52
He thinks banning permit holders from carrying will decrease robberies? Insanity.

Well if permit holders would stop committing robberies at gas stations then...wait a minute...

H3br3wHamm3r
12-14-2011, 19:55
Yep me to! But I wish Texas would go the way of Vermont and just do away with the CHL (except if you want to carry out of state.)

Deaf
Agreed and agreed. Ι say, make a gun safety and proficiency class mandatory for anyone in Texas wanting to purchase a gun, and make it relatively cheap to enroll in, but do away with a need for an actual CHL license. I and others don't really feel comfortable with government knowing I have guns. There's no need for that.

This way, State gets it money (that's really all it comes down to) and the people get the education and ability to keep their guns.

EAJuggalo
12-15-2011, 06:56
I wonder how this would impact the provision in the new carry law that carry in a parking lot is always legal?