G29 Storm Lake barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G29 Storm Lake barrel

Bigwatts66
12-12-2011, 08:31
Hello all, I have a gen3 G29, wanting to improve performance with full power ammo, so I have purchased a Storm Lake 4.48" SS barrel for my G29. I have a few questions for those witrh real gun knowledge.

I thought this was a drop in barrel, but i read somewhere that it is "semi drop in". I am not quite sure what that means. Can anyone educate me on the SL barrels?

Also, I was looking at trigger mechanisms. I am pretty handy with my G29 after several hundred rounds of practice, but as I get past 30-40 rounds, the "trigger jerking" begins. Are there some slightly adjusted trigger setups that can help, or possibly some new way of gripping the weapon?:dunno:

_The_Shadow
12-12-2011, 10:01
The semi drop in may require some fitting! If the barrel doesn't fit the slide you need to see where it is not fitting, then with a flat file and/or flat stone remove the metal needed to allow a fitment while maintaining the proper shape of the part. By that I mean if the area being file is square it needs to remain square!

Some barrels, the barrel hood is left long, I think on the Glaock it is the square area of the barrel at the top front of the chamber.

Usually the tighter the fit of the barrel side to side improves accuracy so the sides of the chamber area may need very slight adjustments.

To do the fitting the gunsmith needs the slide and in some cases the entire gun to provide the best fit.

Good luck!

deadandgone
12-12-2011, 11:16
Did the same thing for my g29sf...for me, it was a simple drop in. I racked the slide several times and it seemed butter smooth.I have fired numerous rounds through it without a hiccup, all the way up to nuclear Swamp Fox loads(RIP Mike)...I did absolutely nothing to it except drop it in...was I lucky? I don't know...this is just my experience.

I love it, accuracy is great. The gun shoots better than I can.

Have fun. I hope you are lucky too.

Bigwatts66
12-12-2011, 12:07
Thanks guys. I hope it drops right in. Cante wait to get it. Have some full power stuff waiting on it.:supergrin:

ModGlock17
12-12-2011, 12:27
I have that exact set up. I did polish the barrel to a silverware shine, and it just dropped in. Been working flawless.

21Carrier
12-13-2011, 07:45
It seems most Storm Lake barrels are drop-in. I think they just say that because occasionally a super-tight barrel might get out that requires a bit of fitting. If yours does not fit perfectly, you can visit Bar-Sto's website for instructions on how to properly fit a barrel.

About the flinching, that's just part of it. The only thing that helps is practice. Here's what works for me: Dry fire a LOT. That seems to help. Then, when you get to the range, and start to flinch, unload the gun, and do some dry fires right there on the range. That will get you back on track. Any time you start to flinch, unload and dry fire. I wouldn't waste money on trigger mods. That doesn't fix a flinch. Also, another good drill is to mix in some dummy rounds or snap caps with some live rounds. Put a full magazine worth of rounds in a box (so you can't see them), and swap out one or two with dummy rounds. Load the magazine blindly so you have no idea where the dummy rounds are. While firing, you will get live rounds, then hit a "click". See what your front sight is doing. Keep doing this until the sight quits moving. I would start with about 50% dummy rounds and remove one each time you do well. Also, this is good for practicing malfunction drills (tap, rack, bang drill).

Bigwatts66
12-13-2011, 07:54
Thanks 21C. And Roll Mutha***ing Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

I will start working on it in the evenings. I had the same problem with my G22RTF2, even after a 3.5lb connector, reduced power firing spring, and a 25cent trigger job, which leads me to believe, as usual, it is an operator error that requires training to fix (dammit).

ColGlocker
12-13-2011, 08:05
I have a terrible problem with flinching. I mixed some snap caps with normal rounds while shooting, as explained by 21Carrier. It works like a charm. My aim is not the greatest, but with the process described my groupings at between 15 and 20 feet are very nice and tight. Now I need to increase my precision/accuracy at longer distances. Baby steps.