Remington Cleaning Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington Cleaning Question

125K9
12-12-2011, 11:38
My new 870 has two "trigger group" screws on the right side of it's receiver (as I'm sure they all do) and I'm trying to determine if it would be beneficial to to remove them and the trigger group when I clean it. If it would, are there any springs, or other small parts, that would "jump out" when the group is dropped?
Thanks in advance for your advice as it's MUCH appreciated!
Guy

aippi
12-12-2011, 17:02
Not sure why you would have screws there unless someone installed anti-walking pins.

The 870 has trigger pins that push out. Push them out from either side and the trigger plate assembly pulls out. Nothing else will come out and you can clean the assembly if needed and install it back in the weapon.

125K9
12-14-2011, 11:36
Thank you VERY MUCH appi! I don't know what's up with this shotgun but it has two allen screws (complete with threads) instead of push pins. It does have a side saddle, which I could have done without, mounted on the other side of the receiver and I don't know if that made any difference or not.

aippi
12-14-2011, 16:19
Are you saying a new 870 came with a side saddle? And yes, that is very different then trigger pins that come on the weapons. You threw me off by stating it was new.

You have to unscrew those and remove them to remove the trigger plate assembly. It is an easy deal to do as long as you have the correct allen wrenches. One size for the rear and a smaller one for the front.

If you don't want the side saddle then simply replace it with trigger plate pins. Assuming it is a 12ga, They are part number #20601 (front) #20606 (rear). Call Remington and follow the prompts to parts to order.

125K9
12-15-2011, 15:42
Again, thanks for the reply. The gun shop, which is owned by friends, customised this 870 for a long time customer that had left a sizeable deposit. They put on the side saddle, collapsible stock, magazine extension, and tac light. Well, the original buyer never came back to get it, and after holding it for him for one year they sold it to me for a very nice discount. The original buyer just vanished one night, according to his neighbors, and left his furnished home, vehicles, etc. We, at the local sheriff's dept., never managed to locate him and there was no forwarded mail, changed utilities, or anything of that nature. I'd hate to speculate about his well-being. Anyway, I got the shotgun for a few hundred dollars, and while I prefer regular ole guns I'd hate to take this stuff off. The side saddle was mounted with 6 screws so I'd have a bunch of holes in the receiver if I took it off. One thing that may go though is the flashlight on the front. Sort of a "love/hate" relationship with that thing.

aippi
12-15-2011, 16:29
The side saddle is mounted with pins that replace the original trigger plate pins. Removing it and install the factory pins is no different then removing it to clean the weapon, which you have to do. You just don't put it back on. It is not mounted with six screws to the receiver. It is mounted to the mounting plate with six screws and that plate is mounted to the receiver with the two mounting pins in place of the factory pins.

This is not some kind of permenant mount here. It comes right off. I only mentioned this because you stated in your post that you did not want it.

125K9
12-19-2011, 15:56
Well I feel like a dunce, but thanks for mentioning that. You've given me something to strongly consider.

aippi
12-19-2011, 17:13
Wasn't trying to make you feel stupid. I have a patten on stupid and have for my entire life. In fact, it is a true testiment to the greatness of America that an idiot like me can be so sucessful in business.

Not knowing something is not being stupid. I have to go to neighbors about anything I am working on around here, other then guns. Even had to ask a neighbor to show me how to wind my weed eater and still could not do when that line ran out. Started buying the replacement spools that already had the line on them, now that is stupid.

Buffering
12-19-2011, 18:03
I have a patten on stupid and have for my entire life.

This is exactly why I left your sorry ass. Thanks for putting it in writing. Have a nice Christmas.

/s/

Your Loving Ex

aippi
12-19-2011, 20:00
See there guys, that is why I state the finish on my AI&P Tactical Shotguns is as black as my ex-wifes heart.

collim1
12-19-2011, 21:55

cyphertext
12-19-2011, 22:21
Well I feel like a dunce, but thanks for mentioning that. You've given me something to strongly consider.

No need to feel like a dunce....If we all knew everything there is to know, these forums would be pretty boring.

Kaybe
12-19-2011, 23:39
It would help to have the hammer in the cocked position and the safety on when you take out the trigger plate assembly. Having the hammer in the cocked position makes putting the thing back in so much easier

125K9
12-21-2011, 16:21
Thanks for that suggestion on the hammer. If it's held on by the two pins then it will come off every time I take the trigger group out for cleaning.
Appi, I thought that I had bad luck with women, but to have an ex that fashions herself as a "cooler?":dunno::dunno:I doubt she means an electrical appliance, so I'll bet that was an "interesting" marriage!

aippi
12-21-2011, 21:52
Being born and raised in Florida when I moved to Michigan it was April. All these yankees said, hey you won't make it through a Michigan winter. I told them Michigan winters would be nothing to me as I had lived in the most frigid conditions a man could exist in for 6 years and surrvived that. When they asked me where that was I told them, "Miami, but I divorced her".