Questions about first scope purchase for AR [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about first scope purchase for AR

UniversalBrow06
12-12-2011, 22:58
So I need to go ahead and purchase a scope for one of my AR's before it's too late, and I'm getting nervous about it since I really don't know so much about scopes. I'm kinda interested in this Nikon:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/995622/nikon-m-223-rifle-scope-2-8x-32mm-nikoplex-reticle-matte

... But I'm not sure if I'm making a sound investment or walking into a disaster. It looks attractive to me, but I have never seen it in person, nor have I really seen in person that many of the other scopes in this price range.

I want a scope that has no more than X10 power, no super fancy reticle, something that is durable, reliable, and not too heavy, and my budget isn't too much more than what the above is going for. I could probably spend another $150-200 if persuaded. I'll be investing a solid $200 or so more on the mount (LT-104 probably). It will all be mounted on an 18 inch Stainless barreled AR. Is this scope a solid purchase? Can I do substantially better by going up another $200 in price range? Is there another scope in particular that you would recommend?

Any comments would be most appreciated!

bmoore
12-13-2011, 00:18
I have a Nikon prostaff on my 243 coyote rifle. It is awesome, clear glass and holds zero very well. I also have some experience with Redfields revolutions, they are in my opinion the best buy in scopes. Both of the scopes I have mentioned have been on a ton of hunts and held zero with no problems at all. The redfields glass has absolutely no difference in clarity against my Leupold VX2. The scope you posted a link to would probably make a great addition to an AR.

Cole125
12-13-2011, 01:08
I do not have any personal experience with Nikon but I have heard they are good glass for the money.

I am a big fan of Burris scopes and I think they are some of the best value scopes on the market right now. Check this out, would be a perfect combo for your rifle.

http://www.valhallaarmory.com/4_5_14x32_Designated_Shooter_Package_p/bur-ds.htm

MrMurphy
12-13-2011, 04:04
1st.

Intended use of the rifle and scope.

2nd.

Your budget.

I've used $150 scopes and $3500 scopes. The Nikon's are good glass for the money, as are Burris's but it's all about what you're gonna use it for and on.

UniversalBrow06
12-13-2011, 08:44
1st.

Intended use of the rifle and scope.

2nd.

Your budget.

I've used $150 scopes and $3500 scopes. The Nikon's are good glass for the money, as are Burris's but it's all about what you're gonna use it for and on.

Eh, very true Mr. M, I should have included both:

1.) Use will be for some medium distance range shooting and of course your SHTF scenario, but the most extensive use will certainly be for hunting. I will be doing a lot of hiking with it, so it can't be super clunky, and it needs to be all weather rugged. I do not think I will ever make any shots beyond 450 yards except for maybe at the range. Most shots will be within 350 yards.

2.) Concerning budget, I cannot spend more than $600 for the scope. Add about $200 for mount, so total for scope and mount together really cannot exceed $800.

I will be mounting this scope on an 18 in Noveske Rogue Hunter upper/ LMT lower.

12-13-2011, 09:10
You won't be disappointed with that scope. Another scope in the $300-$400 price range you should look at is this one http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P608.aspx. I think it is one of the most under valued scope out there. It has crystal clear glass, adjustment repeatability, very rugged, and awesome customer service.

MrMurphy
12-13-2011, 09:32
Depending on the size of the targets i'd recommend a 2.5-10X.

Low enough power for closer-in use if necessary and enough power to get out there.

Look at the Leupold Vari-X II line. It's within your $600 range, and for solid field scopes, the Leupold line is still one of the gold standards.

Stick it in an LT-104 and you're in business. A Leupold Mark AR would also do.

UniversalBrow06
12-14-2011, 09:15
Thanks very much you guys for your advice. In a strange turn of events I ended up looking at the Zeiss Conquest series alongside a Nikon M223 and Monarch, a few Burris (i forget which of those specifically), and Leupold MkAR at one of my local gun shops and was impressed enough to go ahead and get the Zeiss. I'm pretty jazzed about it! It seemed (of those four companies along with a few others in my price range) the clearest at the store, and after casually checking it outside in the fading sun, I was pretty impressed. Very clear glass, nice and bright. I'll let you all know how it turns out once I mount it on the gun and take it for a spin. Again, thanks for your comments.

UniversalBrow06
12-15-2011, 16:04
Hey, this is probably a stupid question, but I do not need to do any lapping on the LT-104 right? I've never owned a LaRue mount.

WoodenPlank
12-15-2011, 16:06
Hey, this is probably a stupid question, but I do not need to do any lapping on the LT-104 right? I've never owned a LaRue mount.

Doubt it. I never did on my Leupold Mark II I used to have, and I have never heard of it being done on a LaRue mount. Then again, I'm not heavy into long range shooting, so it could just be ignorance on my part.

Cole125
12-15-2011, 18:38
Thanks very much you guys for your advice. In a strange turn of events I ended up looking at the Zeiss Conquest series alongside a Nikon M223 and Monarch, a few Burris (i forget which of those specifically), and Leupold MkAR at one of my local gun shops and was impressed enough to go ahead and get the Zeiss. I'm pretty jazzed about it! It seemed (of those four companies along with a few others in my price range) the clearest at the store, and after casually checking it outside in the fading sun, I was pretty impressed. Very clear glass, nice and bright. I'll let you all know how it turns out once I mount it on the gun and take it for a spin. Again, thanks for your comments.

Congrats, from what I hear that is pretty good glass. Have fun sighting in! :cool:

MrMurphy
12-15-2011, 23:51
No, you do not.

Unwrap, insert scope, tighten following instructions on the card, you're in business. Zero and you're good.

12-16-2011, 03:31
Good choices on the mount and scope.