Increased power firing pin spring for full power loads? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Increased power firing pin spring for full power loads?

Bigwatts66
12-13-2011, 09:04
I have been reading that you need an increased firing pin spring as well as recoil spring when firing full power 10mm ammo. As a 10mm novice, i was wondering why is this necessary?:dunno:

rcd567
12-13-2011, 09:30
It's not. I've fired real 10mm loads in both my Glock and S&W 1066 with stock springs, both recoil and firing pin without incident.

Taterhead
12-13-2011, 09:46
I agree. Id do have a Wolff 22# non-captured spring setup, but I use it less frequently than I used to -it even for warm stuff. The stock spring is 100% and handles better for most loads.

As far as striker springs, I would think that the only reason for an upgrade is if you are not getting consistent primer ignition. I can't think of how load strength would matter in that regard. I do have a replacement striker spring that I will eventually put in after the stock spring wears out.

dryfly
12-13-2011, 10:13
I went back to stock RSA after experimenting with diff loads...
The hottest load I have fired stock has been the Buffalo Bore 180grain JHP...1330 fps...no problems issues or worries. No issues with Swamp Fox 200grain xtps at 1240 fps either....

JimIsland
12-13-2011, 10:17
Depends if you have a Gen 2 or Gen 3. I recently shot some DT ammo out of my Gen 2 and got very lucky it didn't kaboom. If you have a gen 2 proceed with caution. My understanding is that some of them(not all) have very bad chamber support.

I believe I have a ammo issue but it was amplified by the lack of support and/or weak recoil spring. How old is your gun and how many rounds are through it?

Edit: I see you have a Gen3 G29..nevermind

Bigwatts66
12-13-2011, 15:27
Cool. Thanks, guys. I couldn't really come up with a reason on my own after I read it- that's why I am on these forums. Gonna go pop some rounds soon, got some DT 200g FMJ, some 180FMJ from a local outfit that seems pretty warm (wont know till I get my own chronograph), and some 180 FMJ that should be here tomorrow from Underwood. Gonna rattle my fillings a bit I hope. Just wanted to make sure I was set up properly for the hot stuff. I will be observing the first few casings just to be sure....

Glockz0r
12-13-2011, 17:52
I have been reading that you need an increased firing pin spring as well as recoil spring when firing full power 10mm ammo. As a 10mm novice, i was wondering why is this necessary?:dunno:

I've heard people replacing magazine springs with 10% stronger ones but this is the first time I've heard about people swapping firing pin springs.

Taterhead
12-13-2011, 18:06
I've heard people replacing magazine springs with 10% stronger ones but this is the first time I've heard about people swapping firing pin springs.

It is interesting because if you buy a recoil spring setup from Wolff, they might send a freeby striker spring with it. They sent one to me, and others report getting them too. There is a cryptic note that alludes to the fact that the Glock striker spring is wimpy. I haven't heard of any problems in that regard though.

21Carrier
12-13-2011, 18:19
There is no reason to use a stronger striker spring. In over 11,000 rounds through my G29, I've had THREE FTFires. All three were easily traced to unseated primers. They all went bang on the second strike, and all other 10,997 rounds fired fine with the stock striker. About 8,000+ of those loads would most definitely have been called "hot" by anyone. It's unnecessary. It is odd that Wolff sends new ones with their recoil springs. All three of my Wolff springs came with one.

10 fan
12-13-2011, 18:51
I noticed my brass (gen3,G20) landing about 15ft. away. I called Glock and was told my recoil spring was to weak, or to weak for the ammo I was shooting. They said I would be buying a new slide if I didn't get a heavier recoil spring.The brass should land about 5 or 6 ft. anything less means the spring is to heavy ,more to light. They also said to replace the firing pin spring every 3000 rounds. I called wolfe,they said the same thing.I bought the kit which includes 4 different recoil springs,new guide rod and includes 3 firing pin springs.They said to start with the heaviest one and work down if needed.That one worked perfect. I have about 3000 rounds thru it.Also got one for my G29

ModGlock17
12-13-2011, 21:20
As far as striker springs, I would think that the only reason for an upgrade is if you are not getting consistent primer ignition.

Yes. The only other reason to up-power your striker spring is if your trigger feels too soft, which is unlikely.

Remember that stronger striker spring WILL make the trigger feel heavier. And as the trigger gets heavier, your front sight will more likely to move as you press the trigger, thus your accuracy. That is if you care about accuracy.