CNN: Interesting and instructive shooting aftermath [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CNN: Interesting and instructive shooting aftermath

Bren
12-13-2011, 15:41
Check out this video from CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/bestoftv/2011/12/12/pn-911-calls-son-in-law-shooting-mpg.cnn

A guy calls 911 saying he has been shot multiple times and his mother-in-law shot him.

Mother-in-law calls 911 saying her son-in-law just tried to shoot her and fired shots at her.

Little did she know, he recorded some on his iPhone .....

Makes you think about what could happen.

Lord
12-14-2011, 23:10
I saw this also. Now, it's obvious to me that there is a scuffle taking place, shots are heard, he screams at her that she shot him, and she yells "get off me" (basically in a nutshell).
She may attempt to defend herself by saying he jumped her. She MAY attempt. What I get out of it is that he basically tried to wrestle the gun from her to keep from being shot. What is not known so far:

1. What was he doing there
2. What was she doing with a gun
3. Does she have a CHL/CCW/Permit to have that gun on her (the incident obviously takes place outside somewhere)
4. Why is she arguing with him? He states to the police that he and his wife are separated pending divorce and working through some things. One can expect a lot of arguing, but what does her mother have to do with any of it? in fact, everything he reports to the police turns out true and backed up by the content in the video.
5. What prompted her to pull a weapon on him?

This is where the old lady "shoots herself in the foot".... she called the police and lied about the encounter.

6. Why did she lie about the incident when she called 911? Self explanatory. She knew she was wrong in the 5 previous questions, thought she woud lie about it and place the blame on the estranged husband/son-in-law. "he's bigger than me, I was scared, he threatened me, he threatened my daughter <insert lame excuse here". To which one would counter:
scared: why didn't you call the police?
threatened me: "why didn't you call the police",
threatened my daughter: "why didn't you call the police"
<lame excuse>: "why didn't you call the police"

Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, then calling in a false report and lying to the police.

poodleplumber
12-15-2011, 10:48
If I remember the printed news reports correctly (can't locate them right now), the man's story is that he came as scheduled to pick up his kids for a visit in accordance with court orders. The mother-in-law instructed him to come inside the house because her husband wanted to talk to him. He refused and asked that his kids be brought outside to him. Whether this was because he was suspicious of impending trouble or not wasn't clear, but if so it certainly seems justified with hindsight. At that point MIL fired.

Keep in mind that this is one side of a story with at least two sides, and maybe more. If his story is entirely made-up, MIL may have legitimately defended herself, but there seems to be at least some possibility that the guy was ambushed. Personally, it seems a little odd to me that an older woman would be able to take a handgun away from a younger man who drew on her, shoot him, then lose the gun back to him without ever being shot herself.

Lord
12-15-2011, 11:34
you're so right about the two side stories etc. However, the man's 911 call is backed up with the video and there's proof that the MIL lied. Now when it comes to two sides telling their respective "how it happened"... with the information in hand, I would lean toward believing him. It's easily provable if he was picking up his kids. Husband wanted to talk to him? Then why didn't he answer the door? Her story is FULL of holes, his is not.

poodleplumber
12-16-2011, 10:46
I would lean toward believing him. It's easily provable if he was picking up his kids. Husband wanted to talk to him? Then why didn't he answer the door? Her story is FULL of holes, his is not. Agreed on all counts. It looks to me like an attempted ambush and that MIL made a false 911 call to cover her butt. I wonder if he would have survived at all if he went inside the house; he might be a missing person now if he had. I suppose there could be other details that come out later to change our minds, but from what I have read so far MIL isn't looking like a sweet little granny.