No Weapons Sign: Pizza Joint Augusta, Ga. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No Weapons Sign: Pizza Joint Augusta, Ga.

Stompy
12-13-2011, 19:22
From what I hear this establishment has been around for years, but I figured that I post this anyway.

The PIZZA JIONT(s) in Augusta, Ga is stubbornly displaying a “No Weapons” sign right in the middle of their Main entrance.

Too bad, it looked like a fairly cool place.

KennyFSU
12-13-2011, 19:25
Let's see if it helps deter a BG from robbing it, as long as the BG can read that is.

mgo
12-13-2011, 23:21
From what I hear this establishment has been around for years, but I figured that I post this anyway.

The PIZZA JIONT(s) in Augusta, Ga is stubbornly displaying a “No Weapons” sign right in the middle of their Main entrance.

Too bad, it looked like a fairly cool place.

That's OK. Pizza will make you fat and then your belt will be too short, and you would not be able to strap on the pistol anyway.
Just go to Wal-Mart and buy some Nachos....

HarleyGuy
12-13-2011, 23:25
Make a point of dropping in one day and let them know that they're losing your business.

Glockwork Orange
12-13-2011, 23:35
Wouldn't stop me...I've blown those signs off before and will continue to...what they don't know won't hurt 'em...

Tommy Hanrahan
12-14-2011, 00:41
Wouldn't stop me...I've blown those signs off before and will continue to...what they don't know won't hurt 'em...

This has always been my philosophy.
I'll eat his effing peetza and fondle my Glock whilst I'm doing it.

jhoagland
12-14-2011, 06:00
Is it a legal sign?

I would also let them know they lost my business.

Sippo
12-14-2011, 09:44
Do you know any cops who carry off-duty? Have them call the owner and let him know that his sign could prevent any off-duty cop from carrying in his establishment. Ask him if that is his intention?

I've been told a simple contact like that has yielded good results. (Sorry it appeals to a negative prejudice that “only off-duty cops can be trusted with concealed weapons”)

stricky
12-14-2011, 09:53

+1

Those signs are just meant to keep the bad guys from coming in with guns anyway. :rofl:

Lior
12-14-2011, 10:27
Maybe the sign meant that olives, onion, tuna, etc. were enough for toppings?

Glock940
12-14-2011, 10:39
Wonder what they will use to cut the bread, vegetables, meats, sandwiches, and pizza now?

Quarter Tank
12-14-2011, 13:11
Ha, I believe i have eaten there.

I carried a Kahr pm9 on me at the time

Just blew the sign off

garebel
12-14-2011, 20:17
I'd carry anyway. Concealed.

macville
12-14-2011, 21:21
GA has no sign law (unlike my stupid state) So all they can ask you to do is leave if they do see your gun.

michael e
12-14-2011, 21:26
If sign is not legal in your state don't worry about it. Hell my company is posted with the wrong sign, I am not going to tell them.

LASTRESORT20
12-14-2011, 21:38
Good guys..."Concealed"...........Bad guys not so much...

A6Gator
12-15-2011, 11:10
Give them one of these.

http://paopencarry.org/no-guns-no-money-cards

LApm9
12-15-2011, 13:13
I have a friend who owns a pizza place. I'm gonna make up a "no chainsaws" sign and see if I can get him to post it.

GeorgiaGlocker
12-15-2011, 15:00
Signs carry no legal weight in GA. However, I would carry my business elsewhere.

Bill Lumberg
12-17-2011, 06:48
Carryg where posted is ignorant. Voting with your wallet is wise.

garebel
12-17-2011, 08:35
Concealed means concealed.

Unless that pizza joint is equipped with a metal detector, no one has to know or worry about my weapon.
If I didn't feel confident in my ability to carry concealed without detection, I'd leave it at home.

Now, if that pizza joint happens to be located inside the local courthouse or other restricted area.....different story.

jb1911
12-27-2011, 22:43
We took the grand kids to see the Muppet Movie this afternoon and they had a no guns sign on the door. I ignored it. They don't have the authority to take away my constitutional right.

Cletus
12-27-2011, 22:47
For seriousness... Sorry I'm not going to disarm to eat pizza. If they happen to see one of my guns, which they won't because it is concealed, and ask me to leave I gladly will.

insanity.
12-27-2011, 22:58
Drop by with a sword in your hand and a gun on your side. See if they notice the gun! :rofl:

RGbiker
12-27-2011, 23:07
Give them one of these.

http://paopencarry.org/no-guns-no-money-cards

We have cards similar to those printed in Arizona.

We gather about a dozen of us and enter a restaurant posted "No Guns" and get seated. Minutes later a member of our group enters late to tell us the business is posted. We get up to leave. Give the manager a "No Guns-No $$" card and walk out.

Usually, the sign comes down within days.

knoxrocks222
12-27-2011, 23:08
CC if you can in your state and youve got nothin to worry about......how are they going to know you have a gun

or you could be like some people and OC just to get the attention of law enforcement then proceed to explain the law to them:steamed:

Goldenboy007
12-27-2011, 23:26
Out of pure laziness, I would probably just ignore the sign. But I know I should let the restaurant owner know that his sign will cost him my business and the business of many other legal gun owners. The owner needs to know that posting that sign means a hit to his wallet.

Bill Lumberg
12-28-2011, 07:09
It's a loser move to carry where posted. A better move to vote with your wallet.

Adam5
12-28-2011, 08:36
Signs carry no legal weight in GA. However, I would carry my business elsewhere.

This.

Even though signs have no legal weight here, I try not to spend my money in businesses that don't want myself AND my gun there.

kensteele
12-28-2011, 08:57
For seriousness... Sorry I'm not going to disarm to eat pizza. If they happen to see one of my guns, which they won't because it is concealed, and ask me to leave I gladly will.

What are you going to do when the owner doesn't confront you to ask you to leave but instead calls the police and says there is a man with a gun in his shop against his will?

kensteele
12-28-2011, 09:00
Wow, so I guess the CC crowd is no more nobler than the OC crowd. I kinda thought it was a sham anyway to say an OC struts around with his weapon in plain view showing off and scaring the public and trying to get the attention of the police but I guess the CC does pretty much the same thing except you can't see the weapon.

Adam5
12-28-2011, 09:01
What are you going to do when the owner doesn't confront you to ask you to leave but instead calls the police and says there is a man with a gun in his shop against his will?

Leave.

Unless you have have been given a tresspass warning, you have broken no GA laws. All the officer can do is ask you to leave and give you a tresspass warning.

If asked to leave and you refuse you are violating GA tresspassing laws.

iontrap
12-28-2011, 09:04
I havn't noticed the sign before. I'll look for it the next time I go.

kensteele
12-28-2011, 09:05
Leave.

Unless you have have been given a tresspass warning, you have broken no GA laws. All the officer can do is ask you to leave and give you a tresspass warning.

If asked to leave and you refuse you are violating GA tresspassing laws.

Ok, that's fine. It's the same in MO. Was just wondering how adverse you were to contact with the police. You might not have broken any laws but there are no guarantees when the police arrive on the scene you can just walk away. You might get lucky....you might not. I think that guy in Las Vegas tried to just "leave."

Adam5
12-28-2011, 09:19
Ok, that's fine. It's the same in MO. Was just wondering how adverse you were to contact with the police. You might not have broken any laws but there are no guarantees when the police arrive on the scene you can just walk away. You might get lucky....you might not. I think that guy in Las Vegas tried to just "leave."

Personally, I try not to spend money in posted locations, but if I have to and am approached and/or asked to leave I will do so willingly and without protest at the time. If it a place that I frequent, I will likely contact the owner or manager at a later time to discuss it and explain why they have lost my business.

RYT 2BER
12-28-2011, 09:24
We have cards similar to those printed in Arizona.

We gather about a dozen of us and enter a restaurant posted "No Guns" and get seated. Minutes later a member of our group enters late to tell us the business is posted. We get up to leave. Give the manager a "No Guns-No $$" card and walk out.

Usually, the sign comes down within days.

That is a great idea!!!!! I love it!!

Ryobi
12-28-2011, 09:25
This.
It's a loser move to carry where posted. A better move to vote with your wallet.

Thumpernator
12-28-2011, 09:56
This is from the Georgia Carry Org. Great organization.

Q: Can I carry at Applebee’s or [insert other restaurant here]?
A: SB308 (http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2009_10/versions/sb308_SB308_APP_23.htm) does not prohibit carry for Georgia Weapons License holders in restaurants. However, individual restaurant owners have the option of asking you to leave their establishment if they do not wish for you to carry there. Should a business owner or his agent ask you to leave while you are carrying a firearm, do so immediately, or as soon as reasonably possible. Failure to leave within a reasonable time, or refusing to leave, is a criminal offense known as “criminal trespass.” In addition, please maintain a polite demeanor so as to project a good image of yourself and other GCO members to the business owner and any witnesses even when being asked to leave.

PCnotPC
12-28-2011, 10:04
Does the pizza place serve alcohol (beer and/or wine)? Is that part of the Georgia gun laws that firearms shall not be allowed on any premises serving alcohol?

Just1More
12-28-2011, 10:10

That's dumb. You're breaking the law and risk losing your CCW if you get marked. But hey, enjoy that pizza.

Thumpernator
12-28-2011, 10:14
Does the pizza place serve alcohol (beer and/or wine)? Is that part of the Georgia gun laws that firearms shall not be allowed on any premises serving alcohol?

You can carry in places that serves alcohol with a CCL, as long as the owner doesn't prohibit guns and you do not consume alcohol. This was changed last year.

GAFinch
12-28-2011, 10:17

Not anymore. Restaurants are fine. Bars are fine with the owner's permission.

Adam5
12-28-2011, 14:43
You can carry in places that serves alcohol with a CCL, as long as the owner doesn't prohibit guns and you do not consume alcohol. This was changed last year.

Close, but SB308 made it so that you can consume while carrying.

Adam5
12-28-2011, 14:50
That's dumb. You're breaking the law and risk losing your CCW if you get marked. But hey, enjoy that pizza.

Depends what state you live in. Signs have no legal weight in GA. It is not against the law to ignore them.

Stompy
12-28-2011, 14:58
BTW guys, It's not a pizza joint. As in generic term for a business that sells pizza.

It is a business called, "The Pizza Joint."

I havn't noticed the sign before. I'll look for it the next time I go.

Evans location- Front door- Located in the middle of the door. Sign is a revolver inside the red slashed circle.

Bill Lumberg
12-28-2011, 15:31
Ignoring them does not have a specific state mandated penalty in all states. But it's always the sign of a dim bulb. When I encounter someone carrying against the owner/proprietor's wishes, I know they're most likely a criminal, a fool, or both.

Depends what state you live in. Signs have no legal weight in GA. It is not against the law to ignore them.

Mr T
12-28-2011, 15:42
I saw a sign on the door of Nebraska Furnituremart. The sign displayed what looked like a Berreta 92fs with a red circle around it and a red bar across the gun. Thank goodness I was carring a G27.

hikerpaddler
12-28-2011, 15:48
Precisely. Ignoring them does not have a specific state mandated penalty in all states. But it's always the sign of a dim bulb. When I encounter someone carrying against the owner/proprietor's wishes, I know they're most likely a criminal, a fool, or both.

Mr T
12-28-2011, 15:50
Just kidding
I locked it away in a car gun safe. I always respect managments wishes. But it doesnt prevent me from reasoning with them by polite email.

writwing
12-28-2011, 15:52

So you are advocating that CC permit holders to violate gun laws. :upeyes:

kensteele
12-28-2011, 16:28
I saw a sign on the door of Nebraska Furnituremart. The sign displayed what looked like a Berreta 92fs with a red circle around it and a red bar across the gun. Thank goodness I was carring a G27.

That would be the standard sign here in KS and NFM near the KS speedway is posted and off-limits to CCW. The couple times I have been inside that place, I was unarmed with my firearm left in the vehicle. While signs are legal and carry weight (very lightweight) here in KS, I obey them in part because it's part of the CCW and I agreed to follow that law when I got my permit. Every single NFM entrance is properly marked with the correct identical signs at the right height, etc, they must be serious hardcore anti-gun folks.

mt920
12-28-2011, 17:45
Option 1: Respect the business owner's wishes, by not carrying my pistol in his or her establishment.

Option 2: Disregard the business owner's wishes, by carrying my pistol but conceal it in the process.

Option 3: Protest the business owner's policy, by taking my money elsewhere.

This is as simple as 1,2 or 3 for me.

garebel
12-28-2011, 18:01
Ignoring them does not have a specific state mandated penalty in all states. But it's always the sign of a dim bulb. When I encounter someone carrying against the owner/proprietor's wishes, I know they're most likely a criminal, a fool, or both.

Thats a little strong.

I respect, and appreciate, the fact that you are in law enforcement, and you are certainly entitled to your opinions. In fact, I happen to agree with the vast majority of them.

There is a reason why I obtained a permit to carry concealed weapon, and if I choose to carry into a pizza joint and that makes me a fool, criminal, or both, then I can live with that.

Admittedly, much of my thought process relating to carry inside a pizza joint is related to an incident involving a close friend and his wife at a Pizza Hut in Stone Mountain ,Ga several years ago.

That case was local and personal to me.
This one, however, should be more familiar to members here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hennard
Suzanna Hupp removed her (legally licensed) weapon from her purse prior to entering per the sign on the door, and we know the rest of the story.

Until the day comes when I feel comfortable and assured in the ability of law enforcement to shadow my every step, I will continue carrying concealed and minding my own business.

Again, if that pizza joint was located in a building with metal detectors, or any type of law enforcement presence, where I was asked to remove my clothing, for any reason, then I would certainly not carry there.
Otherwise, I will take my chances with my ability to keep my weapon concealed. It has worked for twenty four years to date.

garebel
12-28-2011, 18:25
Option 1: Respect the business owner's wishes, by not carrying my pistol in his or her establishment.

Option 2: Disregard the business owner's wishes, by carrying my pistol but conceal it in the process.

Option 3: Protest the business owner's policy, by taking my money elsewhere.

This is as simple as 1,2 or 3 for me.

With all due respect, and, after you read this briefly, may I ask you a question?

If you were meeting your parents at a restaurant to help celebrate a special day for them, and you observed a no weapons sign posted, as did Dr Suzannah Gratia Hupp that day in Luby's Cafeteria, would you have told your parents, who happened to already be seated inside, that you were not going to eat there?
Or, would you have done the same thing that Dr. Hupp did?

RYT 2BER
12-28-2011, 19:04

Im almost amazed you can reach the keyboard... being as high and mighty as you must be such a chore when dealing with the peons.

Get over yourself

TXMary
12-28-2011, 19:14
If you really knew the story, you would know that this occured before Texas adopted a CHL shall issue. Dr. Hupp did leave her weapon in the car--but she was not licensed at that time to carry. She later ran for the legislature and was instrumental in creating the CHL laws in Texas

RYT 2BER
12-28-2011, 19:30
With all due respect, and, after you read this briefly, may I ask you a question?

If you were meeting your parents at a restaurant to help celebrate a special day for them, and you observed a no weapons sign posted, as did Dr Suzannah Gratia Hupp that day in Luby's Cafeteria, would you have told your parents, who happened to already be seated inside, that you were not going to eat there?
Or, would you have done the same thing that Dr. Hupp did?

Wonderful post. Thank you... and maybe after reading this, some of the holier than thou members of this forum will zip it... just "maybe"

Z28ricer
12-28-2011, 20:10
Interesting to see so many people on their high horse about everyone that chooses to LEGALLY carry a weapon, past a sign that makes it no less legal to do so.

Let alone the fact that its been made known in the past that often its not about any business owners "wishes", but them being forced to do so by an insurance company.

Their "wishes" nor an insurance companys risk management will keep me safe, its nice to think its simply one persons "wishes" are what got that sign put up, and just that one person will not benefit from your business, what about the other employees ? The business owner who doesnt want to put that sign up but is forced to by his insurance policy ?

There is a reason signs like that dont hold weight in places, because its "concealed" carry for a reason.

garebel
12-28-2011, 20:19
If you really knew the story, you would know that this occured before Texas adopted a CHL shall issue. Dr. Hupp did leave her weapon in the car--but she was not licensed at that time to carry. She later ran for the legislature and was instrumental in creating the CHL laws in Texas

I know the important part of "the story", and that is enough for me.

Want to know how Dr. Hupp feels about what happened, in retrospect?
http://www.gunownersalliance.com/hupp-10.htm

TXMary
12-28-2011, 21:07
Thats a little strong.

Suzanna Hupp removed her (legally licensed) weapon from her purse prior to entering per the sign on the door, and we know the rest of the story.

This was the part I was refering to. At that time there was NO license for CHL in Texas. Still isn't any licensed weapons. Then and now, anyone can carry in their vehicle

Paul53
12-28-2011, 21:13
:brickwall:Yo, me an the boys at the big howse wuz talkin in the yard, an the wons that cud read like me wuz upset by tha existental contradikshuns involved wen we robbed a joint wif sines like dees. Sum evun needed to tawk to a shrinc bout it.

knoxrocks222
12-28-2011, 21:15
all the signs i see just say you cant carry a revolver or a beretta hahaha big circle with a line through it :rofl:doesnt say anything about my G23

RYT 2BER
12-28-2011, 21:18
This was the part I was refering to. At that time there was NO license for CHL in Texas. Still isn't any licensed weapons. Then and now, anyone can carry in their vehicle

This was a very informative post.. I had heard the story before but didn't know it that well. I only hope the good Dr doesn't run into Bill Lumberg as he would say she is a "dim bulb", a "fool" and/or "a criminal" :upeyes:

SCmasterblaster
12-28-2011, 22:04
"Robbers, you have nothing to fear here, come on in."

Mr T
12-28-2011, 22:19
Ok so posting a no gun sign in the window tells me that this business/corportation takes full responsibility for my safety/wellfare. I would think that, posting such a sign, would place that business in a legal compromise in the event that someone comes in and kills say.... 8 people. Like that Nut did here, at Von Maur department store in Nebraska http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westroads_Mall_shooting. I think that would be a good discussion point for a business when addressing their policy and sign. Civil Liability...are there any lawyers here that could address that point for me for my edification.

Cletus
12-28-2011, 23:32
I concure^

Ryobi
12-29-2011, 05:28
Actually, Bill was quite correct. Since this is your third post about it, it must have hit close to home......This was a very informative post.. I had heard the story before but didn't know it that well. I only hope the good Dr doesn't run into Bill Lumberg as he would say she is a "dim bulb", a "fool" and/or "a criminal" :upeyes:

Psychman
12-29-2011, 06:09

Or could it just be a solid citizen who is smart enough to know the law and his rights under the law in spite of what you believe by your highly generalized statement.

Bill Lumberg
12-29-2011, 06:16
Could be. Usually isn't. To further generalize (keep in mind, I must be the "long arm" of the law to reach this keyboard), the permit holders I have encountered, by and large, follow the law, tend to be fairly squared away in general, and tend to have a grasp of the basic concept of property owners having rights. To include the right to choose whether visitors to or patrons of their property carry firearms there. It's not about keeping the little man down. It's about the balance of permitee carry against property owners right to control the use of their property by others.

RYT 2BER
12-29-2011, 06:33
Actually, Bill was quite correct. Since this is your third post about it, it must have hit close to home......

No Bill wasn't correct as he did a good job back peddling above... now his generalzed statement is converted to "usually", which In reality should be "virtually always" I'd love to see some real stats from officer blumbergs arrests of legal ccing in a posted location.

You are simply mmisinformed. Me carrying in a place with a sign that doesn't have any legal weight doesn't make me a criminal nor a fool. It was a foolish statement to start with and I was calling him out on it. Here in Florida it doesn't make me a criminal, regardless of what bill thinks. Here the legislators make laws.. not "cops" like bill, so it sure as hell isn't illegal. On the other side it makes me smart to remain vigilant and protective of myself and my family , again quite antithetical to bills absurd and generalized statement.

Get it now? Nah, I guess not, cause we know you already thought his original generalized and misguided statement was accurate. I don't want to confuse you with rational logic.

uplinker
12-29-2011, 07:30
I will respect the owners sign and leave, then I will go down the street and spend my money elsewhere.

fxstchewy
12-30-2011, 06:30
I would not eat there because anyone that posts a sign like that hoping it would stop thugs from entering to rob them probably should not be making pizza! :supergrin:

RussP
12-30-2011, 06:50
Folks, just a reminder that advocating, condoning, suggesting, supporting, and/or discussing ways to carry illegally violates GT rules and will not be tolerated.

voomie
12-30-2011, 09:53
Here in Ohio, if a building is posted then it is criminal tresspass if you enter armed. So if I am armed, I dont not enter and send a nice well thought out letter to management to remind them I respect the rights of property owners but they are losing my business and the business of many other law abiding citizens who wish to protect themselves from those who do not follow the law.

JuneyBooney
12-30-2011, 09:55
That's OK. Pizza will make you fat and then your belt will be too short, and you would not be able to strap on the pistol anyway.
Just go to Wal-Mart and buy some Nachos....

You are right. :cool:

SGT_Calle
12-30-2011, 10:08
Again, signs carry no weight in GA.
I eat at "The Pizza Joint" occasionally and always CC. When I have eaten there in the past (4 or 5 times @ 2 locations in Augusta) it has been with friends who really like it and I wanted to go out with them. Not a place I go out of my way to patronize.
Also, the food is good and they have a large selection of beer.

kensteele
12-30-2011, 10:16
Here in Ohio, if a building is posted then it is criminal tresspass if you enter armed. So if I am armed, I dont not enter and send a nice well thought out letter to management to remind them I respect the rights of property owners but they are losing my business and the business of many other law abiding citizens who wish to protect themselves from those who do not follow the law.

Be careful. If OH is stupid enough to charge a non-violent lawfully armed citizen with criminal trespass with a weapon simply from walking past a paper sign posted in a window, they just might charge you with terrorist threats or some kinds of intimidation or extortion charges thru the mail for sending a letter.

If the business owners takes it as a threat or gets scared or feels unsafe and call the police or takes out an RO based on the tone of your letter or misunderstanding the intent or the words of the letter....if you don't want to shop there, just don't go and forget about it. There is no real value to you to send such a letter.

of course, this is partially in jest but maybe not. the last thing you want is a detective calling you asking what was that letter all about.

GAFinch
12-30-2011, 10:30
Aside from government buildings, I interpret No Gun signs as No Open Carry signs, so it really doesn't bother me much. Open carry is extremely rare here, so I'd imagine someone actually doing it at a family restaurant would make some people nervous/upset.

40 S+W
12-30-2011, 11:28
Aside from government buildings, I interpret No Gun signs as No Open Carry signs, so it really doesn't bother me much. Open carry is extremely rare here, so I'd imagine someone actually doing it at a family restaurant would make some people nervous/upset.

You've hit the nail on the head here!!! These signs were suppose to show up everywhere here in Ga after we got the right to carry in resturants that serve alcohol!!! It hasn't happened yet and I don't think it will!! The OC crowd are the folks that get the most upset by these signs.. OC is not smart,,, it tells perps SHOOT ME FIRST can't you see my big ole gun!!!

kensteele
12-30-2011, 14:32
... OC is not smart,,, it tells perps SHOOT ME FIRST can't you see my big ole gun!!!

Who told you to say that? :whistling:

Mr T
12-30-2011, 14:50
Hey how do I post my own thread?

SBroadwell
12-30-2011, 14:53
I've never been to that place, but, next time I'm in Augusta I need to check it out for lunch.
And, I will most certainly have the LC9 in my cargo pocket. Nobody has ever seen it there.

GeorgiaGlocker
12-30-2011, 15:41
I seldom see "no gun signs" if ever. Primarily only on government buildings. It generally isn't a big deal.

SGT_Calle
12-30-2011, 17:24
I've never been to that place, but, next time I'm in Augusta I need to check it out for lunch.
And, I will most certainly have the LC9 in my cargo pocket. Nobody has ever seen it there.

It is a good pizza place. There's another location that's not downtown but same signage. Only two places I've found in Augusta with signs actually (but I don't get out much, lol).

garebel
12-30-2011, 18:32
I seldom see "no gun signs" if ever. Primarily only on government buildings. It generally isn't a big deal.

Same here.

ponders
12-30-2011, 18:57
This has always been my philosophy.
I'll eat his effing peetza and fondle my Glock whilst I'm doing it.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: