New 10mm guy needs advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New 10mm guy needs advice

Celtic Pride
12-13-2011, 18:24
I recently purchased a G29sf. I love this weapon. It feels great in my hand, and I believe I like it more than any hangun I own. HOWEVER, I am not really confident in the factory guiderod / spring assemby. I hate to say it, but it looks very weak. I am hoping that I can tap into some of your knowlege here on the Ten Ring.

First, What should I replace it with? Stainless or tungsten?

Second, I intend to shoot Winchester Silvertips. Should I go 19 lbs or stay stock?

Finally ....... where is the best place to find this replacement part?

:headscratch:

Thanks guys

ColGlocker
12-13-2011, 19:06
Not sure how intent you are about replacing the rod and spring assembly. I have had mine for a couple of months. I have shot as mild as Georgia Arms, American Eagle and as hot as Swamp Fox, Double Tap, and Underwood without issues with the spring or rod.

_The_Shadow
12-13-2011, 19:14
Celtic Pride from God's little paradise "LoUiSiAna"

I have the Glock 29 and have outfitted mine with the Wolff Gun Springs "non-captive" recoil two piece SS rod and 21 pound spring set! It functions very well with light to full power 1omm and also with 40S&W/357Sig and 9x25Dillon conversion barrels.

I have 17, 19, 21 and 23 pound spring sets from Wolff (not Lone Wolf Dist). I tried the 23 lb and found it a bit tought to rack the slide for defensive situations, but I use it sometimes for testing purposes...
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/_The_Shadow/IMG_0336.jpg

Best regards!

hamster
12-13-2011, 19:22
Celtic Pride from God's little paradise "LoUiSiAna"

I have the Glock 29 and have outfitted mine with the Wolff Gun Springs "non-captive" recoil two piece SS rod and 21 pound spring set! It functions very well with light to full power 1omm and also with 40S&W/357Sig and 9x25Dillon conversion barrels.

I have 17, 19, 21 and 23 pound spring sets from Wolff (not Lone Wolf Dist). I tried the 23 lb and found it a bit tought to rack the slide for defensive situations, but I use it sometimes for testing purposes...
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/_The_Shadow/IMG_0336.jpg

Best regards!

What kind of mags do you need with some of the conversions you have there.

_The_Shadow
12-13-2011, 19:25
All of these conversions use the 10mm magazines both g-29 and g-20 without issues!

MinervaDoe
12-13-2011, 19:27
I am not really confident in the factory guiderod / spring assemby. I hate to say it, but it looks very weak.
It works fine. But, if you want to start replacing parts on your new gun, I'm sure you will find dozens of new Internet friends who will tell you exactly what they think you have to do.

First, What should I replace it with? Stainless or tungsten?
I've owned Glocks since the mid 90s and all five of mine have only had one modification. I always install the minus connector.

arushus
12-13-2011, 19:49
Your stock setup is perfectly fine to do whatever you want with it! Just shoot the heck out of it!
If you are dead set on modifying it, lonewolfdist.com, gunsprings.com, glockparts.com, and rockyourglock.com are some good places to start.

Opie 1 Kenopie
12-14-2011, 00:24
Don't modify it.

My 29SF shoots all the olds mentioned above with ZERO problems. Stock parts are what the gun was designed with, don't mess with "perfection".

10 fan
12-14-2011, 09:28
Don't modify it.

My 29SF shoots all the olds mentioned above with ZERO problems. Stock parts are what the gun was designed with, don't mess with "perfection".
I agree until I noticed my brass was landing 15ft. away. I called glock and was told my recoil spring was to light or to light for the ammo I was shooting. was told the brass should land about 5 or 6 ft. away,less means to heavy more means to light.Said I would be buying a new slide if I didn't change it ,said to call wolfe springs. Also said to change the firing pin spring every 3000 rounds. Wolfe springs said the same thing.I bought a kit for my 20 and 29, which included 3 fining pin springs (all the same)in each kit and 4 different recoil springs.I put the heavy one in and it was perfect for the last 3000 or more rounds

flyandscuba
12-14-2011, 14:58
I've been running my G29SF stock (except for a $0.25 trigger job and OEM minus connector) -- and it eats everything that I feed it, including .357 Sig and .40 S&W with KKM precision barrels and G29/G20 - even Scherer 29-rd 10mm mags. I say leave it alone unless you experience problems.

Celtic Pride
12-14-2011, 15:40
Ok. I guess maybe I should have stated why the factory guiderod / spring looks weak. The assembly looks fine when it is not in the weapon. When the assembly is put in place, the rear metal circular piece of the rod that engages the barrel appear to be slightly bending under the pressure of the spring. The end of the guiderod is sitting completely in the "half moon" and properly seated. Everything seems normal when I cycle the slide by hand. Is the slight bending of the rod end normal ?!?

flyandscuba
12-14-2011, 15:44
Yes - completely normal...

Celtic Pride
12-14-2011, 15:46
Yes - completely normal...

Thanks. I shot it Monday and it worked fine. The bending just kinda freaked me out. Appreciate all the responses.

10 fan
12-14-2011, 16:26
I've been running my G29SF stock (except for a $0.25 trigger job and OEM minus connector) -- and it eats everything that I feed it, including .357 Sig and .40 S&W with KKM precision barrels and G29/G20 - even Scherer 29-rd 10mm mags. I say leave it alone unless you experience problems.
I haven't heard of a minus connector,at least by that name. Could you explain it to me please?

MinervaDoe
12-14-2011, 16:29
I haven't heard of a minus connector,at least by that name. Could you explain it to me please?
That's how Glock refers to their 4.5 lb. connector. When you look at it, the only identifying mark on it is a -

MinervaDoe
12-14-2011, 16:31
The bending just kinda freaked me out.
Look at the channel in the frame that it sits in. Where's it going to go?

arushus
12-14-2011, 21:52
That spot on the barrel where the spring sits is just there to keep it out of the way while you are putting the slide back on the frame. When it is put together the spring sits down in that channel and pushes against the area where the slidelock sits.

MinervaDoe
12-14-2011, 23:33
i.e. it's not going anywhere.

10 fan
12-15-2011, 22:08
That's how Glock refers to their 4.5 lb. connector. When you look at it, the only identifying mark on it is a -
Thanks, I learn something new were everytime I'm on this form.