federal 9mm 147 +p in glock 19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : federal 9mm 147 +p in glock 19

lilguy450
12-13-2011, 21:28
whats up guys just picked up my glock 19 about 2 weeks ago and went straight to the range. put 100 rounds of winchester white box through the gun with no problems.

now i dont know if this is a problom or not but i bought a bunch of 147 grain federal plus p's and when i load in a full 10 rd. magazine (im in California) and go to rack the slide i noticed it is harder to do then normal. also when im ejecting the rounds manuelly from the every 3rd or 4th round will jam and not fully go into the chamber. now this gun only has 100 rounds through it and has been cleaned since it was fired could it be that i just need to break the gun in more so it will "loosen up"?

anyone else have any trouble with this rounds?

Tiro Fijo
12-13-2011, 22:38
Don't eject the rounds manually. It is not necessary. Drop the mag then eject the one in the chamber. Nothing wrong as 147 gr. are longer than normal.

NG VI
12-16-2011, 16:52
Yeah, you shouldn't be cycling rounds through the feeding process when you don't need to. Eject the one and leave the rest in the mag, if you have to empty the mag too for some reason, take them out by hand.

Bullets can set back after x number of chamberings (depends on the caliber, bullet, way it was loaded and crimped, cannelures, firearm chambered in, all kinds of things.). Usually nothing to worry about, especially in 9mm, but also no good reason to chamber every round you have willy-nilly. Generally in the most setback-prone calibers and loads you won't see any setback until around ten chamberings, maybe many more. 9mm isn't particularly susceptible to it, especially with the long bearing surfaces of the 147 grain bullets.

And the 147+P HST is the best defense load available for the 9mm, you picked right.

cowboy1964
12-16-2011, 18:06
And the 147+P HST is the best defense load available for the 9mm, you picked right.

Among the best but there is no "best". If there were everyone would be using that and nothing else.

NG VI
12-16-2011, 18:26
Does as well as a bonded bullet through many intermediate barriers, has always demonstrated a marked tendency against clogging, seems to behave as intended after passing through any reasonable (not sheet metal or auto glass) barrier, does better than comparable loads after metal or glass anyway, is moderately priced, hits the magic 12" pretty easily, and expansion is typically as good as top end bullets in the next caliber up.

I'd say the current Ranger-T and the DPX are in the same class. And they both cost more than the HST.

But really you're right, it's just the one I decided on when I started carrying.

unit1069
12-16-2011, 20:26
Among the best but there is no "best". If there were everyone would be using that and nothing else.

Right, cowboy.

Only the Occupy sheeple march in lockstep to dictates while those who understand personal responsibility know that it's up to each individual to judge for him/herself the best ammo options for their individual self-defense weapons.