Texas CHL Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Texas CHL Help

Triple7
12-14-2011, 13:24
Guys my dad is having a CHL instructor come out to his house and we have 10 guys who want to take the class. So I will have the class room and range instruction taken care of.
Am I right that there is a $140 application fee + $10 for finger printing besides the instruction cost......?

barnettbill
12-14-2011, 14:18
Texas does electronic fingerprints. they have a list of places on the Texas DPS website. In Abilene it is on Treadaway Blvd.

H3br3wHamm3r
12-14-2011, 20:07
Guys my dad is having a CHL instructor come out to his house and we have 10 guys who want to take the class. So I will have the class room and range instruction taken care of.
Am I right that there is a $140 application fee + $10 for finger printing besides the instruction cost......?
Hello,

The fee for the CHL application varies. See here (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/CHLwebupdatefees.pdf).

Fingerprinting is now performed by L-1 Enrollment Services via appointment at various locations. See here (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlFingerprintInfo.htm).

The cost for the course is additional. This fee varies based on the instructor. I'm taking one for $75, but I've seen costs nearly twice that.

Lord
12-14-2011, 21:36

What the instructor charges for the class is up to the instructor. DPS has variable fees, but the straight up, no special circumstances fee is $140. Special circumstances would be for example... I pay half price for renewals, address changes etc because I am a vet. Other special circumstances/fees go to active duty military, judges, indigents, etc. There is a fee list at TX DPS website you can get (download and print). If you plan to use the 50% off for military/vet, you will have to send proof i.e. copy of DD214

PS: some instructors will do the electronic fingerprints for you. I believe the guy I normally train with does them.

Triple7
12-15-2011, 08:53
Thanks guys that's what I needed. We are having an instructor come out to my folks house and he is charging $250 flat rate for up to 10 people so....$10 per person. I didn't know what other fees were associated though

H3br3wHamm3r
12-19-2011, 18:42
Thanks guys that's what I needed. We are having an instructor come out to my folks house and he is charging $250 flat rate for up to 10 people so....$10 per person. I didn't know what other fees were associated though
Excellent deal right there! Although, $10/ person with max of 10 people only makes him $100. Maybe you meant $25/ person. Anyway...

Deaf Smith
12-19-2011, 21:02
Yes $250 for ten people as a good honest deal. That is $25 each.

I firmly believe the CHL license is a RIGHT (2nd Amendment that is) and a RESPONSIBILITY and thus the fees ought to be as low as possible to insure anyone who qualifies can get one. To do otherwise is to try to restrict it by making it unaffordable.

Deaf

txgunguy
12-19-2011, 21:35
Yes $250 for ten people as a good honest deal. That is $25 each.

I firmly believe the CHL license is a RIGHT (2nd Amendment that is) and a RESPONSIBILITY and thus the fees ought to be as low as possible to insure anyone who qualifies can get one. To do otherwise is to try to restrict it by making it unaffordable.

Deaf

So the instructor has knowledge and certifications he has to pay for and is just supposed to teach for free..... Come on. I paid $70 for my renewal class. Plenty reasonable for 5 years worth of carrying. If you can't save up 70, 100 or whatever the instructor charges in 5 years, you have big problems.

OP, 140 goes to the state and fingerprints vary in price. The instructor fee you are paying is next to nothing.

Triple7
12-20-2011, 09:52
Opps yes $25 per person.

Deaf Smith
12-20-2011, 18:13
So the instructor has knowledge and certifications he has to pay for and is just supposed to teach for free..... Come on. I paid $70 for my renewal class. Plenty reasonable for 5 years worth of carrying. If you can't save up 70, 100 or whatever the instructor charges in 5 years, you have big problems.

OP, 140 goes to the state and fingerprints vary in price. The instructor fee you are paying is next to nothing.

First you have to consider the 2nd Amendment is a RIGHT and having to fork out $70 + $140 + $10 fingerprinting + ammo + time just to exercise your RIGHT is kind of ridiculous.

And $70 x 10 people is 700 bucks for 5 hrs at the most in a renewal class. And a 20 person class is $1400 bucks for 5 hours work.

Do that once a week and that's $5600 a month. Not bad for 20 hrs a month.

BTW, I taught CHL classes for 10 years so I know what all goes on.

Deaf

txgunguy
12-20-2011, 20:03
First you have to consider the 2nd Amendment is a RIGHT and having to fork out $70 + $140 + $10 fingerprinting + ammo + time just to exercise your RIGHT is kind of ridiculous.

And $70 x 10 people is 700 bucks for 5 hrs at the most in a renewal class. And a 20 person class is $1400 bucks for 5 hours work.

Deaf

Did you teach them for free? What did you charge?

Deaf Smith
12-20-2011, 21:32
Did you teach them for free? What did you charge?

No I didn't teach for free. When it first started I charged $50 for the full 10 hr. class for those who worked at the large company I worked for. Everyone else was $100 (and back then $200 per head was the going rate and man did I have other CHL instructors PO'ed at me.

Later I settled for $75 for the 10 hr. class, and $45 for the renewal.

Had my own laptop, projector, powerpoints, handouts, etc... And my own range.

But after 10 years, well I've got better things to do with my life!

Deaf

Tx1911
12-21-2011, 06:40
No I didn't teach for free. When it first started I charged $50 for the full 10 hr. class for those who worked at the large company I worked for. Everyone else was $100 (and back then $200 per head was the going rate and man did I have other CHL instructors PO'ed at me.

Deaf

Too bad you stopped, that was a good deal for a CHL.

txgunguy
12-21-2011, 14:28

Deaf

So you made pretty good money doing it. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander right?

If you taught 20 people a week thats $3,600 a month just for renewals at your $45 rate.

Just trying to understand why others shouldn't charge but you did.

Deaf Smith
12-21-2011, 16:35
txgunguy,

I built the range to.

And after it was all paid off (1st year) I made ALL CHL 10 hr courses $50.

But like I said, I was way below what others charged cause I felt it should not be expensive.

And I still feel that way.

Deaf

txgunguy
12-22-2011, 08:27
txgunguy,

I built the range to.

And after it was all paid off (1st year) I made ALL CHL 10 hr courses $50.

But like I said, I was way below what others charged cause I felt it should not be expensive.

And I still feel that way.

Deaf

Gotcha. Was just trying to understand. I agree that its a right to carry. Unfortunately, some expenses can't be avoided. $50 would be a great deal for a chl class. Wasn't trying to come off like a dick, just wanted your perspective. Have a good one.

kylet
12-22-2011, 08:31

Deaf

Concealed carry isn't " the second amendment "... and it is a privilege.

The right to own firearms is... and by golly it is free to own firearms... no fees for that :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

OctoberRust
12-22-2011, 09:46
Concealed carry isn't " the second amendment "... and it is a privilege.

The right to own firearms is... and by golly it is free to own firearms... no fees for that :)

The right to keep and bear arms?

Reading comprehension.... How does it work?

kylet
12-22-2011, 10:18
Lets be realistic... the 2nd amendment does not give every individual the right to carry any weapon they want, wherever they want. As much as we wish it were.... that not the way it works.

The right to carry is a privilege.

OctoberRust
12-22-2011, 10:22
Lets be realistic... the 2nd amendment does not give every individual the right to carry any weapon they want, wherever they want. As much as we wish it were.... that not the way it works.

Let's be realistic.... The founding fathers fought off a world super-power and understood the root principles of a free society is the right to keep and bear arms. Since then gun control was at first introduced as a form of racism.

The right to carry is just that, a RIGHT. You're just contradicting yourself, but the brady campaign thanks you.

bigcountry31987
12-22-2011, 10:24

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!!!!

OctoberRust
12-22-2011, 10:31
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!!!!

Oh but cmon, let's be realistic man! What they really meant by keep and bear arms was our left and right arm. They didn't mean those uber ultra deadly tank killing baby skull seeking assault guns :crying::rofl:

.....Just being realistic, you know? :upeyes:

Deaf Smith
12-22-2011, 14:38

But funny how the liberals want anyone to vote,anytime, without any ID, but here you have to go through all kinds of hoops to buy a gun or carry it.

And the 2nd Amendment said to Keep and Bear Arms, but tell me what Amendment gives us the right to vote? In fact when the country first started only people with LAND could vote (and only men at that.)

Just find me the Amendment that guaranteed us the right to vote? Oh, 14th? 15th? And pray tell me when was this passed?

Deaf