Looks like the leading problem is solved... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the leading problem is solved...

PCJim
12-14-2011, 21:44
Earlier this evening, I was prepping for a road trip tomorrow to go see my daughter's graduation ceremony at UCF (whoo hoo!). I decided I'd pack the 226-9 and a couple hi-cap mags of HPs for some extra insurance. Since its my IDPA gun and sees almost strictly 125gr LCNs, I thought it best to run the copper ChoreBoy thru the barrel a few times so that any lead buildup wouldn't present a problem if, heaven forbid, I needed to use those HPs.

Well, lo and behold, when I looked thru the barrel, there was NO leading! Absolutely none! This, after shooting several hundred of those 125gr LCNs (.3565 diam) over a new charge - 4.5gr WSF. Previous tests for leading at this charge level had proven disappointing, however this discovery this evening proves that the new load is a good one. It will replace my prior 3.9gr BE loading.

WSF powder has been recommended by Fred for forever on this forum. The absence of leading was a thing of beauty, and definitely made for an early Christmas present to me.

michael e
12-14-2011, 21:47
I shoot almost nothing but lead. I clean the barrel about every 150 rounds with a bore snake, I have yet to ever see any lead build up.

fredj338
12-14-2011, 23:46
I doubt it was only the pwoder choice, but most likely a proper fitting bullet.Glad it's working for you. I shoot almost nothing but lead bullets in most of my guns. Leading is minimal w/ proper fit & varying alloys. COngrats on the graduation. It's a satisfying moment, only gets better when they get good jobs because of it!

JBnTX
12-15-2011, 05:22
Here's an excellent article explaining why and how leading occurs.
http://missouribullet.com/technical.php

It appears the secret is to match the bullet hardness with it's intended
velocity. Softer bullets for target velocities, and harder bullets for higher
velocities.

Following this guideline, I've never had any leading using Missouri Bullets.

fredj338
12-15-2011, 11:03
Here's an excellent article explaining why and how leading occurs.
http://missouribullet.com/technical.php

It appears the secret is to match the bullet hardness with it's intended
velocity. Softer bullets for target velocities, and harder bullets for higher
velocities.

Following this guideline, I've never had any leading using Missouri Bullets.

Sort of, that is part two. Higher pressures need harder bullets. It's not about vel but pressure. Still, you can get soft bullets to shoot well @ higher vel & pressures, but they have to fit. Bullet fit is the most important thing when it comes to lead bullets.:wavey:

FLSlim
12-15-2011, 15:49
Good to hear PCJ and congrats on your daughter. I've been using WSF behind 147 Bayou Bullets and the barrel stays free of lead (and the load offers very good accuracy).

GioaJack
12-15-2011, 15:53
People are starting to discover lead bullets... I'm surprised no one ever mentioned this before.

Next thing you know someone will invent a way to actually make them at home. :faint:

Jack

rpgman
12-15-2011, 15:54
People are starting to discover lead bullets... I'm surprised no one ever mentioned this before.

Next thing you know someone will invent a way to actually make them at home. :faint:

Jack

yea, indoors too!!

chris in va
12-18-2011, 00:38
I know not of what you speak. Have a look at my Neuralizer.