Has anyone here tried this [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here tried this

rpgman
12-15-2011, 07:55
on their xl650?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86570&st=0

I'm having powder spillage, mostly on 9mm, and very little on .40.
I have clipped the spring under the indent ball a half a coil and still spillage.

I ordered the parts for this fix from http://www.mcmaster.com
Just wonder if anyone here has tried it and how successful they were?

Greg

jmorris
12-15-2011, 08:18
I didn't cut the spring but did add thrust bearings to my 650's. Set properly they are a lot smoother.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bearing.jpg

ron59
12-15-2011, 08:58
I'm ordering my 650 TODAY!

Was already preparing to get the mods people use: the tube for the primer ski-ramp, and the bearing mod. I know Uniquetek has a solution that is kinda pricey.

Where did you get these thrust bearings and what is the process to set them properly?

I didn't cut the spring but did add thrust bearings to my 650's. Set properly they are a lot smoother.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bearing.jpg

unclebob
12-15-2011, 09:27
Yes, I have them on my press. Steve also has them on his press. If you use both washers you need to bend the ejector wire. After screwing up two of them and could never get it right. I finally did like what Steve has done and only use one washer on top. So you will have washer, bearing, shell plate. Cutting the spring of a coil also helps. And putting grease in the index pawl and spring. It helps in slowing the index pawl down a little when it pops in the hole in the shell plate. Every little bit helps. Especially if you use a powder that fills a pistol case or more.

rpgman
12-15-2011, 09:36

Was already preparing to get the mods people use: the tube for the primer ski-ramp, and the bearing mod. I know Uniquetek has a solution that is kinda pricey.

Where did you get these thrust bearings and what is the process to set them properly?

got them from here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

parts number 5909K31 quantity 2 (one for backup/spare)
parts number 5909K44 quantity 4 (two for backup/spare)

in this thread:

Greg

rpgman
12-15-2011, 09:37
Yes, I have them on my press. Steve also has them on his press. If you use both washers you need to bend the ejector wire. After screwing up two of them and could never get it right. I finally did like what Steve has done and only use one washer on top. So you will have washer, bearing, shell plate. Cutting the spring of a coil also helps. And putting grease in the index pawl and spring. It helps in slowing the index pawl down a little when it pops in the hole in the shell plate. Every little bit helps. Especially if you use a powder that fills a pistol case or more.

wait, you put them on the BOTTOM of ur shellplate and NOT the TOP?

unclebob
12-15-2011, 09:41
wait, you put them on the BOTTOM of ur shellplate and NOT the TOP?

You have the shell plate bolt, you put the washer, bearing then shell plate.Nothing goes on the bottom side of the shell plate.

rpgman
12-15-2011, 09:44
You have the shell plate bolt, you put the washer, bearing then shell plate.Nothing goes on the bottom side of the shell plate.

maybe I'm not understanding, because in the pictures on this thread:

the washer and bearing are on top of the shellplate, no?

Boxerglocker
12-15-2011, 09:52
on their xl650?

I'm having powder spillage, mostly on 9mm, and very little on .40.
I have clipped the spring under the indent ball a half a coil and still spillage.

I ordered the parts for this fix from http://www.mcmaster.com
Just wonder if anyone here has tried it and how successful they were?

Greg

I clipped a little over one coil, and slightly beveled the detent ball bores in the shell plate with a large 1/2 in 100 degree countersink bit.
Another thing you should make sure of is that your 650 is properly lubricated, particularly the index mechanism and ramp. Use a light coating of grease for all those parts and the bearings and shell plate retaining bolt.

unclebob
12-15-2011, 10:10
maybe I'm not understanding, because in the pictures on this thread:

the washer and bearing are on top of the shellplate, no?

Yes the bearing and wash go on top to the shell plate. Just like what the picture shows. But both Steve and I only use one washer that is on top then the bearing, and no washer below the bearing so you only use one washer and one bearing. If you put a washer, bearing, and another washer you will need to bend the ejector wire. I never had any luck in bending the wire. So Steve came up with the idea of just using one washer and the bearing.
So if you put the bolt in your left hand then put a washer on the bolt then add the bearing. Then add the shell plate you will have the right order. Nothing goes below the shell plate and the platform.

rpgman
12-15-2011, 10:30
Yes the bearing and wash go on top to the shell plate. Just like what the picture shows. But both Steve and I only use one washer that is on top then the bearing, and no washer below the bearing so you only use one washer and one bearing. If you put a washer, bearing, and another washer you will need to bend the ejector wire. I never had any luck in bending the wire. So Steve came up with the idea of just using one washer and the bearing.
So if you put the bolt in your left hand then put a washer on the bolt then add the bearing. Then add the shell plate you will have the right order. Nothing goes below the shell plate and the platform.

thanks, that's what I thought.

Colorado4Wheel
12-15-2011, 10:53
I clipped about two coils IIRC. It was more then many others recommended but it seemed to make the biggest difference. My setup is 100% now even with this mod. I hate mods that make something LESS reliable. I needed to bend the wire even using just 1 washer. That's just the way it goes in my world. Everyone else is fine with the easy route and I have to go just a little more. But it's perfect now and very smooth.

fredj338
12-15-2011, 10:59
Cutting the spring of a coil also helps. And putting grease in the index pawl and spring. It helps in slowing the index pawl down a little when it pops in the hole in the shell plate. Every little bit helps. Especially if you use a powder that fills a pistol case or more.

This is all I did to mine, seems to run fin & powder spillage only happens w/ 90% full cases. I can live w/ that. Perfect doesn't exist in my world so I rarely go looking for it.:winkie:

Colorado4Wheel
12-15-2011, 11:21
This is all I did to mine, seems to run fin & powder spillage only happens w/ 90% full cases. I can live w/ that. Perfect doesn't exist in my world so I rarely go looking for it.:winkie:

Mine would not eject cases properly if I didn't bend the wire. Even with just 1 washer. So I didn't have a choice but to bend the wire.

rpgman
12-15-2011, 11:39
Mine would not eject cases properly if I didn't bend the wire. Even with just 1 washer. So I didn't have a choice but to bend the wire.

can't wait to try this tomorrow, hopefully I'll get lucky and won't have to bend the wire.

Colorado4Wheel
12-15-2011, 11:49

I know that is so exciting. You will love the press. I am sure of it.

I would start loading with out this mod for a day or two. Get a feel for the press. Do the ski ramp tube thingy. Besides that, learn the machine stock.

rpgman
12-15-2011, 11:54

congrats Ron...

you will really like this press.

It took me a couple days to get the feel of it, but like Bob and Steve have mentioned to me, it's more of a 'feel' kinda thing, that you sooner or later get used to how the press works.

A Dillon CS REP mentioned to me, they tell people it takes 5000 rounds to actually work it and get the feel for it.

Not sure that's correct, but I'm getting the 'feel' for it, like knowing when primers are seated properly, etc.

Greg

Colorado4Wheel
12-15-2011, 12:04
After a short period of time I got a good feel for when the press is going to start activating the indexing portion of the stroke/movement of the handle. So you can control the speed of the indexing once you get the hang of it. The LnL was always indexing. Drove me nuts. I load a bulky powder in 9mm. So it's important to not have the press sling powder. In my experience, unless I loaded really slow the LnL was always slinging powder. The 650 you can use a faster movement of the handle on the downward movement of the handle and slow down as you raise the handle to about 1/2 way up. Then you index and push to prime in the last 1/2 of the upward portion. You will see what I mean when you have the press. Doing this I can still load 100 rds in 5 mins.

rpgman
12-15-2011, 12:22
After a short period of time I got a good feel for when the press is going to start activating the indexing portion of the stroke/movement of the handle. So you can control the speed of the indexing once you get the hang of it. The LnL was always indexing. Drove me nuts. I load a bulky powder in 9mm. So it's important to not have the press sling powder. In my experience, unless I loaded really slow the LnL was always slinging powder. The 650 you can use a faster movement of the handle on the downward movement of the handle and slow down as you raise the handle to about 1/2 way up. Then you index and push to prime in the last 1/2 of the upward portion. You will see what I mean when you have the press. Doing this I can still load 100 rds in 5 mins.

I do that same thing....slower on the upstroke.
Greg

ron59
12-15-2011, 13:59
congrats Ron...

you will really like this press.

Literally JUST placed the order at Enos' site.

Got the 650 with casefeeder, strong mount (lowering my table, it's way too tall), roller handle, and spare parts kit.

I already have the bullet tray for my 550.

fredj338
12-15-2011, 14:18
The 650 is a great piece of gear. It will take you about 200-300rds to get the feel fo it IMO, especially since you have been using a 550B. After 20yr loading on a 550, it took about that long for me to get used to auto indexing. Your right hand never leaves the handle. It's easy to get into a rythum.

Colorado4Wheel
12-15-2011, 15:12
Literally JUST placed the order at Enos' site.

Got the 650 with casefeeder, strong mount (lowering my table, it's way too tall), roller handle, and spare parts kit.

I already have the bullet tray for my 550.

Nice, when do you think you will have it? I am excited for you.:supergrin:

ron59
12-15-2011, 15:27
Nice, when do you think you will have it? I am excited for you.:supergrin:

they don't send out shipping/tracking info... but the web site says "allow 3-5 business days". So... late next week I guess?

I have Friday and Monday off (that's Christmas weekend), so hopefully it will show up by Thursday and I'll have the weekend to set it up and load some rounds!

I do have some work to do with my bench. It's VERY tall right now. So I'm lowering it 8" and installing the strong mounts for 550 and 650. I also want to sand and stain/seal it. I'll definitely do the bench part, and hopefully the press part. Yes, I"m stoked! I've been hating reloading with the 550 lately. Was okay for 40,000 or so, but I'm ready for an upgrade.

EDITED TO ADD: Best thing about is... I beat the 2012 price hikes!!

rpgman
12-15-2011, 15:31
they don't send out shipping/tracking info... but the web site says "allow 3-5 business days". So... late next week I guess?

I have Friday and Monday off (that's Christmas weekend), so hopefully it will show up by Thursday and I'll have the weekend to set it up and load some rounds!

I do have some work to do with my bench. It's VERY tall right now. So I'm lowering it 8" and installing the strong mounts for 550 and 650. I also want to sand and stain/seal it. I'll definitely do the bench part, and hopefully the press part. Yes, I"m stoked! I've been hating reloading with the 550 lately. Was okay for 40,000 or so, but I'm ready for an upgrade.

you can call them and they will give you the tracking number once it's shipped.
That's what I did and BTW, mine arrived on a Saturday via FedEx.
Greg

F106 Fan
12-15-2011, 15:41
you can call them and they will give you the tracking number once it's shipped.
That's what I did and BTW, mine arrived on a Saturday via FedEx.
Greg

I think they use FedEx Home Delivery which delivers on Tuesday-Saturday. No Monday deliveries is my understanding.

Richard

unclebob
12-15-2011, 16:27
When I first got my 650 I was using the same fell as I did on the 550. That does not work I popped 2 primers until I got the hang of it. Im not as young as Steve I only do 100rds in 7 minutes.