Feds: Arapio violated civil rights.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Feds: Arapio violated civil rights....

OXCOPS
12-15-2011, 12:21
http://azdailysun.com/news/local/state-and-regional/feds-say-arpaio-violated-civil-rights/article_3b2fc366-273e-11e1-8703-0019bb2963f4.html

To those of us in Arizona, this will come as no surprise. To those blind supporters of this clown, fire away.

OXCOPS
12-15-2011, 12:24
One little gem.....

The report also said he and some top staffers tried to silence people who have spoken out against the sheriff’s office by arresting people without cause, filing meritless lawsuits against opponents and starting investigations of critics.

One example cited by the Justice Department is former top Arpaio aide David Hendershott, who filed bar complaints against attorneys critical of the agency along with bringing judicial complaints against judges who were at odds with the sheriff. All complaints were dismissed.

Sam Spade
12-15-2011, 12:34
"Feds: Arapio violated civil rights.... "

Again, or still?

OXCOPS
12-15-2011, 12:40
"Feds: Arapio violated civil rights.... "

Again, or still?

C: All of the above.

g22od
12-15-2011, 12:48
He’s nothing more than a media whore thanks to his taxpayer funded publicity department. To those who reflexively love Arpaio’s flappy mug I ask the following:

How many millions have been misappropriated?

Ever look at the case closure rates (including lack of follow up phone calls on minor victims of sex abuse cases) and the amount of unserved felony warrants?

Ever seen how many millions of taxpayer dollars have been paid out in avoidable litigation?

You know in the third world where they arrests/indict people for purely political reasons and then deny remembering the events that lead up to those arrests/indictments, uhm, happens in Maricopa County!

Toss him out and let’s get someone who is interested in law enforcement in this county and not media grandstanding, selling his books, pink undies, traveling the country giving stump speeches and promoting the politics of hate.

blueiron
12-15-2011, 14:22
Hey Ox,

I'll be back up in your neck of the woods looking for a white Festivus. Put in a good word for some snow then. Maybe I'll see you at Diablo Burger!

:wavey:

OXCOPS
12-15-2011, 15:30
Hey Ox,

I'll be back up in your neck of the woods looking for a white Festivus. Put in a good word for some snow then. Maybe I'll see you at Diablo Burger!

:wavey:

We got nearly two feet earlier this week! There will be plenty on the ground. When you coming up?

rudeboy3
12-15-2011, 16:08
We got nearly two feet earlier this week! There will be plenty on the ground. When you coming up?

^^Oh and bring a coat, the low was like 8 degrees last night...

OXCOPS
12-15-2011, 16:56
^^Oh and bring a coat, the low was like 8 degrees last night...

My truck said 2 this morning. You got the heat wave! Either way, it was a little on the crisp side.

blueiron
12-15-2011, 18:18
I'll be going through on Christmas day on my way to the Rez, but a lot depends on the weather. The Old Farmer's Almanac has predicted a snowy December and it is coming true. I have 4 wheel drive, but don't have chains for my current tire size. Know of any places up there that stock them?

Winter clothing for sub-zero temps isn't a problem. :supergrin:

OXCOPS
12-15-2011, 20:03
I'll be going through on Christmas day on my way to the Rez, but a lot depends on the weather. The Old Farmer's Almanac has predicted a snowy December and it is coming true. I have 4 wheel drive, but don't have chains for my current tire size. Know of any places up there that stock them?

Winter clothing for sub-zero temps isn't a problem. :supergrin:

Well, I'll be out of town. Would have bought you a coffee.

As for chains, the Walmart at the 17/40 interchange, Autozone on Rte 66 west of 4th St, and most any auto parts place will.

OXCOPS
12-15-2011, 20:03
And in keeping with the thread, Arpaio is a dick.

blueiron
12-15-2011, 20:07

Just to clarify, he is a complete incompetent micro-phallus.

Mayhem like Me
12-16-2011, 13:00
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388049

denial ( De Nile)

Is not Just a river in Egypt

OXCOPS
12-16-2011, 14:21
Not even going to waste my breath with the all wise professor.

OLY-M4gery
12-16-2011, 17:36

Yeah, the chain gang, tent city, pink underwear, no cable tv, and inexpensive jail food, is awful.

Arpaio is like a lot of people that don't conform to what others do. He comes up with some really good ideas, and some really bad ones.

OTOH, the federal government should spend some of it's investigative resources on enforcing immigration laws.

Fallout
12-16-2011, 18:05
While I see him as a grand standing idiot on many cases,

If these allegations had any "Teeth" who believes that the Justice Department would not go after him Criminally for Deprivation of Rights?

Most of this sounds like what happened with the Racial Profiling Crap that Agencies in Texas have to document. Its "Demographics" nothing less nothing more. Joe would be under federal indictment if they could prove any of the charges.

OXCOPS
12-16-2011, 19:51
Yeah, the chain gang, tent city, pink underwear, no cable tv, and inexpensive jail food, is awful.

Arpaio is like a lot of people that don't conform to what others do. He comes up with some really good ideas, and some really bad ones.

OTOH, the federal government should spend some of it's investigative resources on enforcing immigration laws.

Joe may have started out with the tough approach, which gained him national notoriety. However, that was soon overshadowed by the political headhunting, retaliation and frivolous lawsuits for personal gain. All of this has cost the taxpayer tens of millions of dollars for no reason. Its this stuff that people outside the state don't hear about, which leads to a biased opinion.

Joe may be tough on inmates, but he us far from a hero. Like I said in a recent thread, his antics remind me of the personal files J. Edgar Hoover kept. Joe is just too dumb and/or arrogant to keep them a secret.

OXCOPS
12-16-2011, 19:53
While I see him as a grand standing idiot on many cases,

If these allegations had any "Teeth" who believes that the Justice Department would not go after him Criminally for Deprivation of Rights?

Most of this sounds like what happened with the Racial Profiling Crap that Agencies in Texas have to document. Its "Demographics" nothing less nothing more. Joe would be under federal indictment if they could prove any of the charges.

Not yet.....

Its my understanding that this was done by the civil division, not criminal. That said, I think it could only be a matter of time.

blastfact
12-16-2011, 20:39
OXCOPS

I don't know what it's worth and I'm not a big law enforcement supporter. But the valley of the sun as the strangest folks in it I've ever seen from the age's of 17 to 45.

I have family there. My mother and aunt live out there and one life long friend is there. There are some really messed up folks in the valley. Be it Phx, Mesa, Tempi, or any of the other burb's or gully's people call home.

I honestly have no idea how it all work's there. If there is a speed limit of 45 mph that seems to mean drive 65 mph. Red lights mean go and green lights mean if you haven't gone bumper cars are in order. Here in Okiehoma we look for deer darting out into the hwy. There you have to watch out for humans wanting to sue you as they look for there next payday.

Every time we are in the PHX metro for more than a day, no matter where we are at. We hear guns fire. Never fails. You can tell,,,, that was a revolver, wow did you hear that semi auto pistol or the whack whack whack of a AK or the zip or a AR.

I for one have no idea why anybody would live there. I've lived and worked in many large metro's including the LA basin, NYC, Houston, Dallas, Miami, KC, St. Louis, Chi-Town. And PHX metro takes the cake for flat out insanity.

I have no idea how law enforcement can be effective short of a true police state in the valley of the sun. Folks seem crazy! How can sane folks deal with that? Pro or Con?

I think the summers destroy local resident brains. I've heard from folks I love and trust that have been in the middle east and the PHX area. They say and I quote " They all act the same " The heat fries there brains. Insanity courts Insanity.

blueiron
12-16-2011, 21:02
Thank you for that complete lack of any meaningful or rational insight on what you perceive as the problems of Maricopa County, Arizona.

Please keep in mind that the vast majority of residents are immigrants from elsewhere. From the perspective of a native, it can explain a majority of the shortcomings that the non natives here may have, though I really doubt it.

The answer is seemingly more invested in the ravings of an intolerant, claiming to be from OKC, with a deep seated psychological inability to deal with his shortcomings.

blueiron
12-16-2011, 21:07
Yep, the over 400 un-investigated cases of sexual molestation of minors that the MCSO sat on and did nothing about is nothing. :upeyes:

The US DoJ is still conducting their criminal investigation.

Kahr_Glockman
12-17-2011, 04:33
I have no love for the Obama admistration and probably wouldn't piss on Holder if he was on fire. However, if there is corruption in Maricopa County I am convinced that Holder's office will find it, and prosecute it simply because it is Arpiao. He is a self professed enemy to the Obama Administration and if they think they can make traction with prosecuting him, they will.

BTW, I am not defending Joe, and if Blueiron is correct that is undefenseable and a sick dereliction of duty.

hyperstyx
12-17-2011, 10:46
I don't see the DOJ as a bastion of truth, justice and the American way. In his dealings with a reality that the current Homeland Security and DOJ divisions of the RICO (immune) regime ignores, Arpaio is doing the job those "americans" won't do.

As with any official dedicated to a difficult job, arbitrary and expedient are going to be present. Not to mention errors. But if the goal is to avoid all criticism and allegations of misfeasance, the default method has to be nonfeasance. That is the politically expedient regime's choice, not Arpaio's. He makes them look bad, whatever motivations are conjectured, and that's not to be tolerated.

OXCOPS
12-17-2011, 11:16
There are two main issues to this investigation. The first is the original claim if racial bias in the immigration enforcement tactics. As that unfolded, the second issue began coming out. That is the matter of Joe using the courts to file lawsuits against political rivals or other public figures that were outspoken against him AND starting investigations against them for personal reasons.

Can the immigration issue be a political attack from the Democratic feds? Maybe, but not likely since the investigation was started by the Bush Administration in 2008. Also, remember that the investigators are not political appointees. They have nothing to really gain in it.

Like I said earlier, Joe started out as a no nonsense, tough guy on crime. All fine and good. Then, as he gained more publicity and name recognition, he started using that to promote himself personally.

Joe seems to think the freedom of speech guarantees him an audience.

JohnnyReb
12-17-2011, 13:22
Yep, the over 400 un-investigated cases of sexual molestation of minors that the MCSO sat on and did nothing about is nothing. :upeyes:

The US DoJ is still conducting their criminal investigation.

There has to be something more to this. I find it hard to believe, any cop would intentually not investigate a crime against a child, especially a sexual one.

OXCOPS
12-17-2011, 14:28
There has to be something more to this. I find it hard to believe, any cop would intentually not investigate a crime against a child, especially a sexual one.

A lot has to do on manpower. When you have a certain amount of resources, the admin should assign staff where they are most needed. Instead, Joe's admin assigned staff to pet projects.

jethro21
12-17-2011, 15:52
As a resident of Maricopa county, I like what Joe has done. I like seeing chain gangs, I like the distain criminals have for the tents in the summer, I like the (gasp!) immigration enforcement he does.

As an officer, I dislike the corruption of his department, poor morale within (that starts at the top), mismanagement of funds and his publicity lusts which cause stupid decisions (arresting and charging a K9 sgt for his K9 partner dying, while Joe's own department has lost several K9s in the same manner).

I question the accusations of his deputies specifically targeting minorities. In the area I work, close to 60% of the population is non-white. Most of my arrests reflect that demographic. Joe has done crime sweeps throughout the valley, and his arrest numbers usually reflect the demographic of the area.

Most people don't know this, but EVERYONE I arrest has an immigration screening. That is my city jail and county jail. I am not certain, but I think it may be a standard in valley agencies.

I will not vote for Joe. I think he has set a standard for his jail system (chain gangs, tents, food costs etc) which should be the norm and hopefully do not go away.

MB-G26
12-17-2011, 16:15
Well, I'll be out of town. Would have bought you a coffee.

As for chains, the Walmart at the 17/40 interchange, Autozone on Rte 66 west of 4th St, and most any auto parts place will.

I will most likely be IN town on/for Xmas.

Yeah, chains/cables, the Autozone on the 66 - there's one (or whatever it's called, used to be a Checker Auto) just sloppy west-ish of Milton (nothing in Flag is straight up/down north/south, left/right east/west - every dang roadway is 'ish' crooked). IF they have 'em in stock, the original Walmart that's just off the 17 N/S and Woodlands Blvd would be another option. The 'other' Walmart, which is futher 'up', to the east-ish of the freeway and around a crummy area of town (4th street and the 66 and whatever) MIGHT have them..... but considering that store is little more than a glorified Circle K, I wouldn't bet on it.

There's a killer coffee shack on the 66, between Woodlands and Milton.

I'll PM you our numbers, just in case. Would be cook to hook up for a drink or meal or somesuch. We don't have a couch, and I do currently have a houseguest (NAU dorms totally closed during the Xmas break, so we have a houseguest.......BUT....... I do have a decent extra mattress which could be schlepped out to the living room and I CAN kill most of the incoming light from the living room windows).

Wait..... have I committed rambling? Whoops.

ARPAIO HAS ALWAYS SUCKED AND WILL CONTINUE TO SUCK. FOREVER.

PM incoming, blueiron.

OXCOPS
12-17-2011, 18:12
As a resident of Maricopa county, I like what Joe has done. I like seeing chain gangs, I like the distain criminals have for the tents in the summer, I like the (gasp!) immigration enforcement he does.

As an officer, I dislike the corruption of his department, poor morale within (that starts at the top), mismanagement of funds and his publicity lusts which cause stupid decisions (arresting and charging a K9 sgt for his K9 partner dying, while Joe's own department has lost several K9s in the same manner).

I question the accusations of his deputies specifically targeting minorities. In the area I work, close to 60% of the population is non-white. Most of my arrests reflect that demographic. Joe has done crime sweeps throughout the valley, and his arrest numbers usually reflect the demographic of the area.

Most people don't know this, but EVERYONE I arrest has an immigration screening. That is my city jail and county jail. I am not certain, but I think it may be a standard in valley agencies.

I will not vote for Joe. I think he has set a standard for his jail system (chain gangs, tents, food costs etc) which should be the norm and hopefully do not go away.

I think this pretty much sums it up. Joe found fame based on his tough stance on jail conditions. He's let that fame get the best of him, which has brought us to the cluster we see now.

ray9898
12-18-2011, 12:24
I think this pretty much sums it up. Joe found fame based on his tough stance on jail conditions. He's let that fame get the best of him, which has brought us to the cluster we see now.

Yup....the fame hit and he started throwing the power of his office around to reach his personal goals.

Foxtrotx1
12-19-2011, 06:26
As a resident of the valley and ASU student, I really appreciate what you guys do for us.

That being said, Joe is a prick.

Foxtrotx1
12-19-2011, 06:28
I will most likely be IN town on/for Xmas.

Yeah, chains/cables, the Autozone on the 66 - there's one (or whatever it's called, used to be a Checker Auto) just sloppy west-ish of Milton (nothing in Flag is straight up/down north/south, left/right east/west - every dang roadway is 'ish' crooked). IF they have 'em in stock, the original Walmart that's just off the 17 N/S and Woodlands Blvd would be another option. The 'other' Walmart, which is futher 'up', to the east-ish of the freeway and around a crummy area of town (4th street and the 66 and whatever) MIGHT have them..... but considering that store is little more than a glorified Circle K, I wouldn't bet on it.

There's a killer coffee shack on the 66, between Woodlands and Milton.

I'll PM you our numbers, just in case. Would be cook to hook up for a drink or meal or somesuch. We don't have a couch, and I do currently have a houseguest (NAU dorms totally closed during the Xmas break, so we have a houseguest.......BUT....... I do have a decent extra mattress which could be schlepped out to the living room and I CAN kill most of the incoming light from the living room windows).

Wait..... have I committed rambling? Whoops.

ARPAIO HAS ALWAYS SUCKED AND WILL CONTINUE TO SUCK. FOREVER.

PM incoming, blueiron.

Macy's Coffee is pretty good. It's on Beaver street I think, been a year since I lived at NAU, memory is fuzzy.

OXCOPS
12-19-2011, 07:32
Macy's Coffee is pretty good. It's on Beaver street I think, been a year since I lived at NAU, memory is fuzzy.

NAU can do that to ya.

Foxtrotx1
12-19-2011, 07:36
NAU can do that to ya.

hahaha, yeah, I never got into that. Can't stand all the hippies so I went to ASU.