High Noon Holsters...How do they rank? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : High Noon Holsters...How do they rank?

JMFWSU
12-15-2011, 12:31
Hi,

I'm wondering how High Noon Holsters compare to other holsters in their price range. Specifically, I'm interested in opinions and feedback on their Slide Guard model.

Also, what do you think of their synthetic liner option?

Thanks,
Jason

jbclark187
12-15-2011, 13:52
I've been using a Down Under model (http://highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Down_Under_Clip_Black_/down_under_clip_black_.html)for just about a year now with my Glock 19 & 36. One of the finest holsters I've used. Great quality and very comfortable design.

While I cannot speak for the slide guard or the synthetic liner, their customer service is second to none. I highly recommend this company.

IndyGunFreak
12-15-2011, 18:04
I've had a Slideguard for about 6yrs.

Mine is standard black cow, an it is lined. I really like the material they use for lining. I'm not sure what it is, but it works very well.. Like most leather, it was pretty tight when I first got it. I spent a few hours just completely putting the gun in the holster, removing, and repeating (doesn't need to be on the belt to do this obviously). I probably did this about 3-400 times while watching a movie. It really helped loosen it up. It has maintained a great fit over the years. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A QUALITY BELT.

About 6yrs ago, wait time was about 5mo. Funny thing I always remember about the wait time on my Slideguard. I ordered the holster at the end of Feb. On March 11, I ended up in the hospital with Sepsis. Was in the hospital for almost 3mo. I got out of the hospital, spent almost 2mo recuperating so I could go back to work. At that point, the holster was totally out of my mind and I had forgotten I ordered it. The weekend I went back to work, I woke up the morning before my first day back and checked my email, and sure enough, there was an email that my order was getting ready to ship. Once I got the email, I remembered ordering it... so it ended up being a "going back to work present".. for me. :cool:

I chuckle a lot when I think about that, but beyond that.. The Slideguard is a great holster that I've been really happy with. I also got a Tie Breaker magazine holder... has held up just as well as the holster.

IGF

MLittle
12-15-2011, 21:29
I have several horse hide holsters by High Noon and Galco, but have gotten away from them in favor of kydex. Leather holsters just add so much thickness and I carry aiwb so thinner is better imo. I've been using kydex holsters by Dale Ficke and just love them. They have very positive retention, are very thin and I don't have to worry about sweat fouling them.

IndyGunFreak
12-16-2011, 01:44
I prefer leather to Kydex.. just something about dead cow hanging on your hip.

I do like Kydex(and non-leather belts) for when I know there will be heavy rain, or if I'm going to be camping and/or fishing.

Kydex is definitely lighter though, no doubt about that.

IGF

beforeobamabans
12-16-2011, 10:03
I bought a Slide Guard for my G30SF and ended up selling it. The quality and construction was inline with price but, it is a very "high ride" holster and I just could not get it snug to my side. The heavy grip full of 45 rounds just wanted to lean out a little even with a very good belt (reinforced Beltman). So, if you have a smaller, lighter gun, it might be OK but it didn't work for me with the 30.

OTOH, I bought a Mr. Softy as a glove box holder for my EDC, G26. This cheap ($27), non-molded, single clip little holster has been a great surprise and very useful addition to my holster collection. It is the quickest mounting IWB I've ever experienced, can be worn anywhere on your belt and is a minimalistic holster and therefore very comfortable. Can't go wrong for the price.

beforeobamabans
12-16-2011, 10:06
I bought a Slide Guard for my G30SF and ended up selling it. The quality and construction was inline with price but, it is a very "high ride" holster and I just could not get it snug to my side. The heavy grip full of 45 rounds just wanted to lean out a little even with a very good belt (reinforced Beltman). So, if you have a smaller, lighter gun, it might be OK but it didn't work for me with the 30.

OTOH, I bought a Mr. Softy as a glove box holder for my EDC, G26. This cheap ($27), non-molded, single clip little holster has been a great surprise and very useful addition to my holster collection. It is the quickest mounting IWB I've ever experienced, can be worn anywhere on your belt and is a minimalistic holster and therefore very comfortable. Can't go wrong for the price.

Oh, one more thing: you gotta love the FAQs on their website. You can learn a lot there while being entertained by their sassy attitude.

High Noon
12-23-2011, 19:36

I do not think it was the weight of the gun. We sell that holster for many other heaver guns then the 30 and do not have problems. Body type may play a role in here, but its a longshot. Placement on your body 3 to 3:30 thats not a flat part of the body makes the handle stick out. Sometimes the slots on the holster the belt goes thru are not broken in, I have seen that, but it goes away with break in.

In this case it may be the belt being to thick. The beltman (and we know Jim the owner) makes a nice belt, but they are very thick belts. A belt that is too thick and has a stiffener in it that may be too stiff and may not have been tested on a holster actually makes the holster torque outwards which is the problem you describe. I think the reason it would not snug to your side is, it cannot because of the thickness of the belt going in and then out of the slots. Some people have had good results with not going behind the holster with these thick belts, but thread the belt across the front of the holster bypassing the in/out of the slots. This is an FAQ at our site for a long time http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Questions/_questions.html#63

It could be a combination of all of the above. If you have the holster try threading thru the front. Let us know if that works. Maybe we can break in the slots for the chubby belt but I know you said you sold it.

cowboy1964
12-23-2011, 20:58
I've been wanting to try a HNH but am kind of still in the discovery phase for what my carry piece will be long-term so am hesitant to pull the trigger on a $130 holster. Someday...

One of the best holster web sites I've seen, as well as gun fit selection. Would like to see more photos of the holsters being worn though.

beforeobamabans
12-24-2011, 17:04
I do not think it was the weight of the gun. We sell that holster for many other heaver guns then the 30 and do not have problems. Body type may play a role in here, but its a longshot. Placement on your body 3 to 3:30 thats not a flat part of the body makes the handle stick out. Sometimes the slots on the holster the belt goes thru are not broken in, I have seen that, but it goes away with break in.

In this case it may be the belt being to thick. The beltman (and we know Jim the owner) makes a nice belt, but they are very thick belts. A belt that is too thick and has a stiffener in it that may be too stiff and may not have been tested on a holster actually makes the holster torque outwards which is the problem you describe. I think the reason it would not snug to your side is, it cannot because of the thickness of the belt going in and then out of the slots. Some people have had good results with not going behind the holster with these thick belts, but thread the belt across the front of the holster bypassing the in/out of the slots. This is an FAQ at our site for a long time http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Questions/_questions.html#63

It could be a combination of all of the above. If you have the holster try threading thru the front. Let us know if that works. Maybe we can break in the slots for the chubby belt but I know you said you sold it.

Thanks for your input, Jason. I have several Beltman belts of varying construction, 1.5" wide. I started out using a non-reinforced bullhide, then went to a horse belt, then a reinforced bull. The last worked best with your Slide Guard but only got it to about 90% of what I expected. I've had enough experience with other leather holsters to know what works for me. I still think the high position of the SG with a heavy subcompact like the 30 puts it in an out-of-balance position. The holsters that work well with the 30 all have a much lower center of gravity. Its a nicely built holster. It just doesn't work for me. BTW, it held it's value well when resold so that's another good reason for someone to give it a try.

High Noon
12-24-2011, 21:07
Fogrot about the high ride in the mix. LOL, LOL If one holster did it for everyone, we would all make just that one holster. Sorry it did not work out. Anyway, nice talking to you, Stay Safe

jw38
12-27-2011, 17:39
Only cc holster that I actually use. I got the Alter Ego. Should have waited the longer time for the canted model. Carries my 19, 23 and 27 perfectly all day, every day. (one at a time naturally) Highly recommend HIGH NOON to you.

polishnightmare
12-27-2011, 19:52
I have several and have had no complaints