High Quality .308 Brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : High Quality .308 Brass

F106 Fan
12-15-2011, 17:26
My Federal .308 Match brass is about to come to its end of life so I am looking for something to buy.

I have been using Lapua brass for my 6.5x284 Norma and it seems excellent. I have no problem with just ordering some in .308 and calling it a day.

But if there is something better, that I can just buy, I am willing to consider it. The application is precision rifle with my Steyr SSG (< 1/2 MOA capable).

Richard

GIockGuy24
12-15-2011, 17:28
Lapua is the best 308 brass I've found.

Patrick R
12-15-2011, 17:47
"Lapua is the best 308 brass I've found. "

I agree.

fredj338
12-15-2011, 17:49
Lapu or RWS, best I have used in any caliber. The Nosler Comp brass is also good as is Norma.

Zombie Steve
12-15-2011, 18:04
All of you turn in your CRB membership cards immediately.

Three-Five-Seven
12-15-2011, 21:46
Lapua makes two versions of .308 brass -- large primer and "Palma", which has a small primer. Either one is better than other available choices. I have found the "Palma" brass is associated with smaller standard deviations in velocity than large primer brass.

At any rate, Lapua pays you back immediately with no work up front to get the brass into your rotation. I like the no work part a lot.

F106 Fan
12-15-2011, 22:07
Lapua makes two versions of .308 brass -- large primer and "Palma", which has a small primer. Either one is better than other available choices. I have found the "Palma" brass is associated with smaller standard deviations in velocity than large primer brass.

At any rate, Lapua pays you back immediately with no work up front to get the brass into your rotation. I like the no work part a lot.

I'll have to do some research on the Palma thing. I have heard about it but haven't had any interest in pursuing it - yet. I just shoot the Sierra 168 gr HPBT or the 180 gr HPBT. So far, best accuracy with the 180 gr.

It won't be a problem working brass into my rotation. I'll just toss all my existing brass and start from scratch. It's not that big of a deal.

Richard

Hoser
12-15-2011, 22:24
Get some Lapua.

I tried the small primer 308 brass and went back to the large. If you get the small primer stuff, use magnum primers.

GIockGuy24
12-16-2011, 00:06
The 308 Winchester small primer cases are usually thinner, for more powder capacity, to make the same velocities as large primer cases with lower pressure. About the only small rifle primer I've found that is hot enough for the large 308 case is the Remington 7 1/2 primer. Even then, a powder that is easy to ignite is required. Other small rifle primers, even other magnum small rifle primers, do not give good results in the 308 case. Note that non-magnum small rifles primers have thinner primer cups and are easily pieced when used with a firing pin and firing pin spring meant for large rifle primers.

Murphy's Law
12-16-2011, 06:50
I got lucky a few months back and got 100 pieces of Lupa brass in 308 which I'm still using. There's no telling how many reloads I'll get from them but to date no signs. I don't think however I would ever purchase this brass new as it's pretty expensive especially if one is talking about obtaining large quantities.

Five O'Glock
12-16-2011, 07:05
My Federal .308 Match brass is about to come to its end of life so I am looking for something to buy.

I have been using Lapua brass for my 6.5x284 Norma and it seems excellent. I have no problem with just ordering some in .308 and calling it a day.

But if there is something better, that I can just buy, I am willing to consider it. The application is precision rifle with my Steyr SSG (< 1/2 MOA capable).

Richard

Not to hijacked your thread but how do you like your Steyr? I have the SSG-04 in .308 and love it! I don't know about you but there aren't too many of these kinds of rifles around in my area.

creophus
12-16-2011, 09:54
Hornady, Winchester, and R-P brass have been good to me in 308.

F106 Fan
12-16-2011, 10:06
Not to hijacked your thread but how do you like your Steyr? I have the SSG-04 in .308 and love it! I don't know about you but there aren't too many of these kinds of rifles around in my area.

I have the SSG 69 PI model and I bought it about 20 years ago. It has a Swarovski 6x ballistic compensating scope and that scope is, without doubt, the brightest I have ever seen. It's magic!

When I first started shooting the rifle, I stumbled onto a load that it really liked. Lately, I haven't been so successful (still < 1 MOA) so I figure to get new Lapua brass and get started finding the sweet spot.

As an all-around rifle, I like it a lot. My Savage 6.5x284 Norma shoots better as does my Savage .223 Long Range Precision Varmint. But I wouldn't want to carry them!

Richard

625cnd
12-18-2011, 15:07
The small primer Palma brass is usually good to a max load of 45gr of powder as that is straining a SR primer.

Lapua brass is the bench mark! Federal sucks! It is soft and no case life. Win or BHA head stamped brass is good second choice for 308 brass. Nosler is probably made by a certain company that is based in Anoka, MN..... then detailed out in Oregon

Each box of Nosler brass needs to be kept together as a lot....other wise you are not getting the best results by mixing it up.

Get Lapua brass and invest in a Redding type s neck sizer with 336 bushing, pull the expander in lieu of the decapping pin retainer. You will increase the case life, and then use a body die to bump the shoulder as needed!

fredj338
12-18-2011, 15:16
The IMI milspec brass is also first rate, right in there w/ the best mil spec match brass.