Optics needed for hunting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Optics needed for hunting?

ALBin517
12-15-2011, 18:28
Are open sights sufficient for deer hunting with a Glock 10mm?

If not, what brands/models of optics are recommended?

arushus
12-15-2011, 18:32
If anybody has taken a deer with any form of optic on a 10mm, I havent heard or read about it.

_The_Shadow
12-15-2011, 18:46
Optics can assist in making long shots but like everything practice practice practice at the distance you want to shoot from! I have hit 4" targets at 130 yards with my handloads and my S&W1006 with the factory target sights.

My Glock 29 has done well out to about 80 yards, but I don't know that I'd take a deer at that distance. Humane kills are more of interest than bragging rights in my opinion!

The Mako mount looks to offer a stable platform for scoping the Glock pistols

nickE10mm
12-16-2011, 11:28
Optics aren't necessary at all, however, they will definitely give you an edge during low-light or longer shots. I have killed three deer with 10mm's and they were all under 30 yards with open sights. Practice is more important than anything.

There are a few companies that make scope mounts for G20's ... or you could mount a reflex sight to your slide.

post-apocalyptic
12-16-2011, 11:43
It depends on your skill level, but personally, I wouldn't be taking any shot with a pistol if the range was great enough that an optic would make a significant difference, (>~75 yrds in my case). The last thing you want to do is just maim the poor animal.

ymmv, but imo it's irons for pistol hunting. Use whatever the hell you want for range/competition shooting.

leeward419
12-16-2011, 17:43
Now that is a great question,
I am looking at RMR or Scope, want to be able to hit 50 yard shots with great certainty. I think I am going with the RMR, will let you know after the holidays what I go with and how it works, I need to get to a point with my g20 that I know I can make the target every time prior to hunting. I do that for bow huntng, longest shot to date 25yards, I keep the one shot one kill streak going

nickE10mm
12-16-2011, 17:47
If I could afford an RMR I'd already own one. :)

leeward419
12-17-2011, 13:53
If I could afford an RMR I'd already own one.
I know, Im not sure I can either, have a G27 on consignment and my G33 Barrel, If they sell I will have enough for it, just not certain I want to blow the wad on the sight, I could get another glock for that much

nickE10mm
12-17-2011, 14:05
I know, Im not sure I can either, have a G27 on consignment and my G33 Barrel, If they sell I will have enough for it, just not certain I want to blow the wad on the sight, I could get another glock for that much

It's not just the RMR, it's having it mounted or buying a pre-cut slide. $$