Selected for MNPD police academy 3 January!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Selected for MNPD police academy 3 January!!!

finz50
12-15-2011, 18:54
After spending the last 9 months unemployed, I was finally selected for the MNPD police academy in 2 weeks....just got the call today!! Super stoked...

Background: 36 yo/male...Spent almost 12 years in the AF as an aircraft maintenance officer. Thanks to the political climate/economy, the AF decided to cut nearly 35% of my career field. As of 1 March, I got involuntarily separated and got to play Mr. Mom to my three kids while the wife is in nursing school.

I've been trying to get into LE since I got out (even though I'm taking a pay cut of over 50%...I was a Major + receiving BAH, which hurts...but better than not finding a job!!) Applied for the FBI but they did the hiring freeze so applied to our local PD, TBI and Metro. Really wanted Metro since the FBI was a no go and since it's where I was raised and the current and retired Metro officers I've spoken to and done ride alongs with really seemed to like working for the department.

Applied back in March, PT tested in Jun/Jul did my background Sep/Oct and since Thanksgiving did my psych eval, medical, and CVSA. Recruiting called me Tuesday and said I was slated for the March class. Got the call today and they said I start in two weeks-YIKES!

Not really looking forward to the academy and feeling like I'm going through boot camp again, but I know it's the nature of the beast :drillsgt: Looking forward to the new career and making the most of it!

ropin4gold
12-15-2011, 19:05
Good deal. I have alot of buddies on at metro. They seem to like it. Good luck in the academy and have fun "hitting the gate"

Patchman
12-15-2011, 19:29
My advise to all new jacks is to keep their options open for lateral transfers or to Federal agencies. Since you also applied to the FBI, keep that option open with them, although I see that you may be in a race with time/age. But you never know.

Good luck with everything.

freeride88
12-15-2011, 19:37
Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. Congrats!

finz50
12-15-2011, 19:41
Hey freeride88, you made the offer....I'm gonna send you a bunch tomorrow :).......how long ago did you finish the academy?

freeride88
12-15-2011, 19:47
PM me and I'll try to help.

*edit* I'd like to preserve a bit of anonymity, but I'll be glad to talk in private, is what I mean.

RocPO
12-15-2011, 20:13
Good luck. You've been through the mind games before so you'll be fine. Congrats

Scattergun1187
12-15-2011, 20:21
For awhile I have been thinking of going to the Police Academy at my local college. I would have to do the part time. Which is from 6:00pm to 10:00pm M-T and all day Saturday. And I work from 6:00am to 4:30pm, which I get up at 4:00 to get ready for work. My Brother -In-Law works for the Sheriff's office for 8yrs. But my wife is dead set against me pursing this type of job.
I'm 38 and in good shape and I don't want to work where I am for ever. Even though it pays way more than I would be paid working as an officer.
Decisions, decisions.

Ajon412
12-15-2011, 21:05
Congrats and Best of luck......:wavey:

RocPO
12-16-2011, 03:02
For awhile I have been thinking of going to the Police Academy at my local college. I would have to do the part time. Which is from 6:00pm to 10:00pm M-T and all day Saturday. And I work from 6:00am to 4:30pm, which I get up at 4:00 to get ready for work. My Brother -In-Law works for the Sheriff's office for 8yrs. But my wife is dead set against me pursing this type of job.
I'm 38 and in good shape and I don't want to work where I am for ever. Even though it pays way more than I would be paid working as an officer.
Decisions, decisions.

You only live once. May as well make it worthwile.

4949shooter
12-16-2011, 04:29
Good luck!

Patchman
12-16-2011, 04:44
Decisions, decisions.

I would never advise anything that would cause problems at home with the spouse. And being able to earn sufficient $$$ to live a lifestyle your family is already used to is very important.

But the "would have, could have, should have" regret is a nagging, bit*hy mistress. Good luck.

DaBigBR
12-16-2011, 08:49
Not really looking forward to the academy and feeling like I'm going through boot camp again, but I know it's the nature of the beast :drillsgt: Looking forward to the new career and making the most of it!

The odds are that your academy will be much more "academic" (no pun intended) than boot camp. Your age and specific life experience will make it a walk in the park for you, at least in terms of the structure and disciplinary aspects.

glock509
12-16-2011, 22:50
I start my academy class at a tech college Jan.3 good luck to you.

freeride88
12-17-2011, 01:43
The odds are that your academy will be much more "academic" (no pun intended) than boot camp. Your age and specific life experience will make it a walk in the park for you, at least in terms of the structure and disciplinary aspects.

Not in nashville, my friend. Our main training officer likes to say "if you wanted to be a sissy, you should have joined the Marines".

That wasn't really popular with the Marines in my class.

Seriously, it's really tough PT.

finz50
12-17-2011, 07:06
Must be talking about Willis......LOL

Ruprect
12-18-2011, 15:28
Are you starting the academy in two weeks or your pre academy assignment?

If you've got till March; run, pushups, sit-ups, repeat.

Best of luck!

finz50
12-18-2011, 17:23
No time....academy class starts 3 Jan! Been doing PU and running...

glockster72
12-19-2011, 01:32
and have fun "hitting the gate"

Down the hill up the hill down the hill up the hill :rofl:

SgtScott31
12-20-2011, 13:20
I work w/Nashville Airport PD. If you're scheduled to FTO in South or Hermitage during C detail, PM me. MNPD's academy is no joke. Make sure you're doing what you can to get into good shape.

mixflip
12-21-2011, 01:53
Congrats. 50% of my academy mates were retired military. Its pretty common Im sure especially now with all the troops coming home and getting out.

Sadly we also had a 50% wash out rate which is tough on folks who didnt have a military retirement to fall back on.

Just be grateful you got in. I wish you well and you can always apply to the Feds later. I did and even got a conditional offer. (I turned it down for personal reasons and now I regret it)

finz50
12-21-2011, 07:59
Thanks Scott....MixFlip, 50% washout rate seems high....what were they washing out for? Couldn't hack the PT? Did the ex-mil fare well compared to those w/o military experience?

captcurly
12-21-2011, 16:31
Congrats and I wish you Good Luck. I retired after 30 yrs. of service (1964 to 1994) and I have always been proud to be a member of the law enforcement community. You will meet some of the best people on the planet during your careet. Again, all the best to you.

mixflip
12-22-2011, 02:13
Thanks Scott....MixFlip, 50% washout rate seems high....what were they washing out for? Couldn't hack the PT? Did the ex-mil fare well compared to those w/o military experience?

Various reasons during the academy portion... torn acl in DT's, broken leg in DT's, broken ankle running, unsafe acts on the range, failed tests and failed retest. Some just quit because they underestimated the mental stress of "boot camp" tactics. This is where the military guys did very well obviously.

Field Training is were a significant amount were "released". Who knows the exact reasons for failing FTO? Officer safety is a big one usually. Cant train someone who is unsafe so they say. You can learn the ins & outs of the job but doing it unsafe and putting your partners in danger is usually an quick way to get released from probation.

Others say you simply need to mesh well with the job and the squad. You can be a military veteran with a college degree but I have seen these guys not pass FTO for what ever reason? Vets and college grads dont get a free pass thats for sure.

Many of the guys that failed FTO probably had some kind of mental baggage or the infamous "bad attitude" which no amount of training can fix. Unfortunately a few military guys came with huge egos and attitude issues. Thats the down side to doing 20 years in the military then jumping right into the civilian world...for some. Some 39 year old E-6's & E-7's dont mesh well with their 22 year old academy classmates.

Dont let this discourage you. If you are an intelligent, positive, reasonable, type A personality then you should have little to no worries.