What's up w/ officer.com? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's up w/ officer.com?

rsagona1
12-16-2011, 11:12
(I contacted the admin's over there and haven't gotten a response).

I had a username there for about a year, posted a good amount. For the past month, everytime I log in (and I've tried this on multiple computers..) it says "Thanks for logging in, taking you to the forums", but then it shows I am logged out, I can't post.

So, I created a new account. But it tells me I don't have permissions to post on the forums! And I contacted an admin about this and nothing.

How the heck do people sign up there and post on the forums? This is ridiculous.

Sharky7
12-16-2011, 11:33
Save your time - skip it.

A few of the secured articles are good resources, but the forums are pretty useless. Lots of immaturity and short timers without good advice in my opinion. They keep the forums unsecured as well and some of the stuff guts post on there makes us all look dumb.

rsagona1
12-16-2011, 13:38
I suppose. I just wanted to speak w/ a couple of people who are applying to the same departments as I have. They have regional/county forums which looked like it could be a good resource for us applicants.

PawDog
12-16-2011, 13:40
I cancelled my account there due to the amount of Spam mail I kept getting.

Cochese
12-16-2011, 14:06
I get zero spam there. I find certain areas, like the hiring center, to be quite helpful.

GT suffered the same issues for a while with the logging in/showing logged out.

Clear your cache/cookies.

Log back in. If it still does it, go into a thread and try to do something that requires login. You will find you are actually logged in.

RyanNREMTP
12-16-2011, 21:49
I had numerous problems getting signed up over there for a long time that I quit. Finally got it working when the academy started. I only use it to get some local information from some folks over there. Otherwise some of the people over there are here as well so I don't worry about it too much. I post some but not a lot. Glock Talk is still one of my main forums to spend my time on.

ateamer
12-16-2011, 22:11
I've been at O.com since 2000. It's had its ups and downs, especially when the original owner, a working real cop, sold it to a large media corporation who then drove a number of the OGs away. These days there are a lot of trolls, twit wannabe writers looking for help but not willing to kick down a little love for the free info and students wanting officers to write their term papers. Trolls get dealt with pretty well, as do bashers. Bans are pretty common and handed out quickly for people who violate the TOS by bashing or trolling.

The biggest problem, and what has finally happened that will probably keep me away for good is viruses. A while back, there was a virus that infected multiple users and O.com admins took their sweet time responding to it. They finally did and promised that everything was good and that they had proper protection in place. Well, two days ago, while using O.com, my computer got infected with a nasty rogue fake antivirus program that was a real virus, one that even disabled and blocked Malwarebytes from being launched to remove it. I had to take it to a tech to have it removed.

So O.com fooled me with their assurance that it was fixed. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

scottydl
12-17-2011, 20:08
Clear your cache/cookies.

This will normally solve login problems to any website that requires it. Clear everything that you can, and restart your browser.

You can see if this is the issue by trying to log in (with current username and password) on a different computer and/or browser to see if that works.

I never really got into any other police forums all that much, probably spent the most time at policeone.com... they had an "officer only" area that had to be verified by staff, but the forums were public anyway.

rsagona1
12-19-2011, 12:40
Yeah, I give up (but thanks for the help..). What really bugs me is that I signed up again over a week ago and still don't have posting permissions. Just trying to get in contact w/ a user over there. Oh well.