PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45C Overview and Range Report:

HKLovingIT
12-16-2011, 20:42
Howdy,

SMITH AND WESSON M&P 45C:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9532/01mp45csolo.jpg

BACKGROUND:

I ordered this pistol because, well, I just wanted another .45 and I like Smith and Wesson. Reason enough! I got it in the Flat Dark Earth to appease my mall ninja-ness and I just liked the look of it. I was tired of all my other black pistols sitting there all gloomy and brooding in the safe. I placed the order with my local guys for this back in September and it took until last week to come in. But, by the grace of Allah, I was blessed to receive this pistol in time to go shoot it last weekend.

This particular variant of the pistol has a manual thumb safety. Opinions vary on this, but I like it. I have handled the M&P9C with thumb safety and did not like it so much on there. It made things just a little too cramped for my large size hand. On the M&P 45C it is just dandy. The safety is very positive and clicks on and off well. In fact, it seems to require slightly less force to click it off, but it does not seem so light that it would come off on it's own if protected by a thumb break holster, which I like and all you haters don't. Giggity.

Anyway, the construction and machining is what you would expect and nothing disappoints about the build quality. It comes with three back strap options (S,M,L), a lock, spent shells, usual manuals, and one each, flat and extended base plate 8 round magazines.

I found that the small back strap feels about the same as a regular M&P 9/40 using the medium, which I like. The grip circumference on the M&P 45C is a little bigger than a regular M&P 9/40. It feels really good in the hand.

In one of the photos below I show it compared to a 1911 Commander (full size grip), a USP Compact .45 and the M&P45C. You will notice how similar the grip angle and circumference of all the grips are. The M&P and USP Compact .45 feel like a slightly fatter 1911 with an arched mainspring housing. (Note: my 1911 doesn't have an arched housing, but close enough to get the idea). Please note also that the M&P grip looks bigger because it's closest to the camera. It's really pretty much almost the same as the USP Compact .45, which feels like a lil plumper 1911 grip.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/1637/1911hkmp45sidegrips.jpg

Below are comparison shots of the pistol using a 1911 Commander using 8 round PowerMag (full size grip, 4.25 barrel), a USP Compact .45, a Glock 19, and the M&P 45C which has a 4 inch conventional rifled barrel. Overall the M&P45C is pretty darn close to the size of a G19. It's a touch longer and just a touch shorter in the grip. Of course the slide is fatter.

Okay, here they all are from above. Now depending on if you want to line up the 1911 by the back of the slide or the end of the beaver tail it could be considered longer or shorter. I lined up to the backs of the slides. L-R 1911, Glock 19, USP Compact .45, M&P 45C It's pretty close to even but the M&P45c is definitely a bit longer than the G19.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7528/fromabovep.jpg

Here I have them lined up shortest to tallest. L-R M&P 45C with flat base plate mag, Glock 19, USP Compact .45 with flat base plate mag, 1911 Commander - 8 Round PowerMag - Std. Bumper.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1826/fromrear01.jpg

Next same thing but extended base plates in. L-R Glock 19, M&P 45C Extended Base Plate, USP Compact .45 Extended Base Plate, 1911 Commander - 8 Round PowerMag - Std. Bumper. Why yes, that is a bunch of Iron Maiden CDs and my NRA renewal letter to the right rear. Ya nosy hoodlums.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6610/fromrear02.jpg

Next up some comparisons photos against the G19 using M&P45C flat base plate side and rear shots:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3108/mp45cflatvsg19rear1.jpg

HKLovingIT
Glock 19 vs M&P 45C flat base plate from side:

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2532/mp45cflatvsg19side1.jpg

Using the extended base plate mag compared to the G19 it's about the same thing. Just a hair taller towards the front strap is all. It's closer to even than what the picture makes it appear. Kind of depends on the angle you eyeball it at. Side shot comparing extended base plate to G19:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4153/g19vsmp45cextside1.jpg

Rear shot compared to the 1911 Commander:

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1073/1911vsmp45cflatrear1.jpg

I broke out my calipers and here is what I got. If I measure tomorrow or you measure yours I'm sure it'll be a little different but here goes:

Height from bottom of mag to top of slide with flat mag in: 4.67

Length of slide from rear to front: can't measure my calipers go to 6.25 inch. Factory says 7.33 inch

Thickest part of slide: 1.11 (right in front of safety levers by my eyeball)

Thickest part of frame: 1.15

Grip from rear of grip to front of trigger: 2.71

Grip front to rear thickest part (small back strap): 2.15

Grip Thickness measured L-R from rear to get thickest part as viewed from rear of pistol looking straight on like in photo above:

M&P 45C - 1.18
Glock 19 - 1.27
USPc .45 - 1.17
1911 Colt Std Grips - 1.29 (surprising but the 1911 is 1.91 front to back so it feels thinner)

Weight: Who cares. It's a polymer pistol. Don't complain. You'll make Col. Cooper turn in his grave.

By the way I found that it fits in the Glock Sport Combat Holster sized for G20/21/29/30 snug as a bug. Also fits this Don Hume leather thumb break I have for the USPc .45. I hear tell it fits a lot of leather G21 holsters also. Anyway...

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2166/glocksport.jpg

Don Hume:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4642/donhume.jpg

HKLovingIT
So off we went. Smith and Wesson, and me...always wanted to say that.

RANGE REPORT: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45C

Date: 12/10/2011
Time: 14:30
Conditions: 39 Degrees, Clear, No Wind.

DETAILS:

8+1 capacity .45 ACP Pistol
Trigger DAO
Other: Thumb Safety
Made in U.S.A. by Smith & Wesson Baby!

ROUNDS FIRED:

100 Rounds 230 gr CCI Blazer Brass FMJ
100 Rounds 230 gr Remington FMJ

MALFUNCTIONS:

2 Failures to return to battery third magazine through pistol (Remington FMJ). Tapped rear of slide to correct both malfunctions. None after.
No issues shooting one handed, non-dominant hand, etc.
Could not make it fail on intentional limp wrist trials.

RANGE PREP:

Prior to the range expedition I field stripped the pistol. Internally it is like any other M&P pistol you have seen. That is to say, it looks a bit like a more complicated Glock inside. I know that there is more to them than that, according to posts from others here that have attended the armorer's course, but that's beyond my scope. Highlights include the nice rails for the slide to ride on and the nice all steel captured recoil spring and rod. I really like the way Smith did that up. The pistol could haven been fired as is out of the box but I wiped it out with blue shop towels to get off the factory lube. Next, I used Slip 2000 for all lubrication of the pistol except Hoeppes Elite Gun Oil to wet patch the barrel followed by one pass with a dry patch.

I took 200 rounds of mixed Blazer Brass and Remington FMJ with me. I was also testing the LC9 this day and fired 260 rounds through that prior to getting to the M&P 45C. If you want to read that range report it is here: LC9 REPORT: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1386655

Whenever I test a new pistol I always like to use paper so I can see how I am doing with the trigger over time.

MAGAZINES:

The pistol comes with two magazines. One flat bottom and one finger extension. I can easily get a full three finger grip using the extension magazine and I can get an almost three finger grip with the flat bottom magazine. Magazines are made out of steel and welded. The follower is plastic, uh, excuse me, polymer. The magazines are not super bright shiny silver like on the Springfield XD models of pistols. The steel is kind of a dull gray color. I don't know if it has been treated with anything on this model or just looks like that. The magazines on my M&P 9C are black from the factory. The M&P45 C can also use the 10 round and 14 round magazines made for the Mid Size and Full Size models. To my knowledge, at the time of this writing, there is no X-Grip adapter out yet but their web site said they were planning on it.

I'm going to give it a big negative at the time of this writing (12/17/2011) due to magazine availability. I looked on a few of the big name gun parts sites and the 8 and 10 round M&P .45 magazines are out of stock, back order. One of the largest sites has 10 rounders listed as coming in end of January 2012, 10 rounders with FDE color base plate end of March 2012, and black 8 round finger rest magazines as end of February 2012. I didn't even see flat base plate or FDE color base plate 8 rounders, like it came with, for sale. I looked on the online Smith and Wesson store and they list the same magazines as the retailers, but that doesn't mean they are in stock, plus they want like $8 each more for them. I guess a couple things could be happening, maybe M&P 45 models are flying off the shelves, Smith and Wesson is going through all the magazines they have to put in the boxes of new pistols, or they just have a manufacturing shortage or supplier issue. That kind of makes sense as it took 3 months for my local store to find one at the distributors in this color. Either way, it kind of sucks. You can find magazines for sale online at some of the more "out of the way" retailers but you'll pay a few bucks more of course, but less than buying from the Smith and Wesson online store.

SIGHTS:

3 Dot low profile ledge sights. I really like the steep ledge on these. The sight picture is a lot better than my factory Glock night sights to my eyes. These are not night sights on the M&P but they are available from Smith and Wesson using Trijicon tubes. I have them on my M&P 9C and they are nice and provide the same sight picture. There is a generous amount of light on each side of the front blade. Sights are dovetailed and can be tapped over if needed. Rear sight has a set screw in it. If I was going to get night sights, I would just mail the slide right back to Smith and Wesson for installation of factory ones.

In this photo you can see the controls of the M&P 45C

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/7163/01mp45csolocontrols.jpg

ERGOS AND CONTROLS:

MAGAZINE RELEASE:

Works as expected. Magazines eject strongly and I did not have any issue where I unintentionally released the magazine or bumped it with my hand. Everything is good here. You can reverse it if you like.

TAKE DOWN LEVER:

I won't beat this to death. It works. I like the Glock system better but nothing wrong with this. It doesn't get hot after shooting a bunch of rounds like it does on the M&P 9c.

SLIDE RELEASE:

The release is ambidextrous if you care for it. It is pretty small but still usable. Matter of fact it requires much less pressure than the one on the LC9. If you do not wish to use it you will be happy to know that slamming a fully loaded magazine into the pistol with your palm at a 45 degree angle to it will cause the slide to release. Don't freak out. I have SIGs that do that and my H&K P2000 series all do that. It only happens if you slam it home with your palm at that angle. I consider it a feature because it only happens when I make it do that. Or of course you can slingshot it.

SAFETY:

Finally we have the manual safety. Up for safe. Down for fire. It works well, is not in the way of my grip and when I ride it with my thumb I can lock my hands in good. Couldn't ask for more. Also, it works the same as the ones on my USP pistols, you can leave it on safe and still operate the slide. I prefer that over the LC9 or 1911 safety where you can't manipulate the slide with the safety on. I don't know why, just personal preference.

According to Smith and Wesson, if you get an M&P without a safety you can't add it later. If you get a model with one, you can remove it, but you'll of course have an extra small hole in the frame where it was. I don't know if they will officially do it for you (doubt it strongly), but I saw some You Tubers removing it of course. I'm leaving mine. I like it.

Finally, I held up my 1911 Commander to the M&P 45C and lined up the rear of the slides. I found that the slide release and safety lever were in nearly identical locations to each other proportionally. So, 1911 guys, you will probably feel right at home with this one. I guess the M&P is like a CCO size 1911. About a Commander length slide with an Officer size grip. Speaking of which...

GRIP:

The grip circumference feels really good. It feels ever so slightly thicker than a 1911 and about the same as the USP Compact .45 which is my all time favorite feeling grip. I have no complaints. With the three inserts available I'm sure it can be made to suit most hands. You'll also notice on this model that it does not have the extended beaver tail like the Mid Size and Full Size models. Fine by me.

You have the option of using a finger extension base plate or a flat base plate. Here is the funny thing. Earlier in the day I was having all kinds of misery with my new LC9 trying to get a grip (har) on the pistol switching between the extended and flat base plate mags. I had wondered in my earlier written range review of the LC9 if I was having trouble because I had been shooting a lot of small pistols lately and using a two finger grip. Thereby, when using a three finger grip base plate I was thinking I was putting way too much pressure on the grip with my pinky and stringing my shots vertically. Well, wait until you see my targets from shooting this pistol I think I have my answer. Too funny.

The stippling on the M&P, while not very aggressive was more than enough. It was cold out though. If I had been wearing gloves without much traction or if it was hot with sweaty hands, I might want some grip tape on there.

RECOIL:

Recoil on this was smooth. It was different than a 1911, more spongy, and felt about the same as the USP Compact .45. No problem at all and to my hands more pleasant to shoot than the LC9. Of course I did just get done shooting 260 rounds though the LC9 prior to this, so my hands might have been biased at that point. Muzzle rise was negligible. Using a thumbs forward grip it was easy to maintain control of the pistol and it settled back on target very quickly.

TRIGGER:

Room in the trigger guard is adequate and would work if you were wearing winter gloves. The trigger pull itself seems just fine. I don't know the pull weight but it's a touch heavier than my M&P 9c and feels a bit lighter than my Glock 19 with NY1 and standard trigger bar. I like a heavy trigger anyways. The break has a nice snap to it. What a lot of people aren't going to like is that there just isn't a really discernible reset. This is where Glock cleans the M&P's clock. With the NY1 in, the reset on the Glock is very forceful. I can't even feel it on the M&P. I'm not a trigger snob and I'm pretty trigger insensitive really, but I would just like to feel some kind of reset.

Now in actual use at the range, that didn't matter a lick to me. I find that on the range, I naturally let the triggers out all the way and just keep my finger in contact with them. I didn't have any problems with it and could produce pie plate accurate rapid fire groups.

So here is the funny thing. The first target posted is me using the extended base plate. The second is using the flat, almost three finger grip, base plate. I would shoot one mag of extended into the left target, reload and shoot the flat into the right target. Hmmm... Interesting results. Pistol is obviously more accurate than user was on that day.

Using extended base plate magazine:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/459/img00615201112101515.jpg

Same amount of shots (couple mags or so) using the flat base plate magazine: - better

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9539/img00616201112101515.jpg

EJECTION:

Ejection was strong and to my right rear. I had no brass come back at my face. Most brass was about 12-15 feet away from me. Even when I spent a few magazines trying to induce a limp wrist malfunction, which never happened. I was impressed with the steady ejection. The surprise of the day was the LC9 which spit brass almost twice the distance. You can see in the photo below where I have indicated the relative locations of the brass piles.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2228/brass2.jpg

CONCLUSION:

I think this pistol is very well built and it comes in a variety of options and configurations that you might like. I think if you are a 1911 guy looking to go polymer for carry, a guy looking for a G30 alternative (though it is ever so slightly bigger) or you just want a smaller sized .45 you can't go wrong here. The only negs I'll give it are magazine capacity versus the G30 (10) and the new XDM 3.8 .45 (9), and the aforementioned trigger reset and magazine purchase availability issue. Still it carries the same load as a Full Size or Commander size 1911 in a smaller package overall. And you can carry a 10 or 14 round spare if you want. I'm really pleased with this. Just remember it's not a pocket pistol. If you can't carry a G19 because of size restrictions, you aren't going to be able to carry this, because it's just about the same size. If you need to go a bit smaller for CCW and still want a .45 polymer pistol, I would personally look at G36, G39, Kahr CW45.

In short, this one is a real winner. I like it a lot and if you shot it, I bet you would too.

Thanks for reading!

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9731/img00617201112101525.jpg

Going home with lil' buddy the LC9:

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/2113/img00620201112101535.jpg

HKLovingIT
12-16-2011, 20:43
reserved for more pics or pic requests.

awpk03s
12-16-2011, 21:18
Just so you know... that was an amazingly detailed and thorough review! Thanks!!
I especially like all the size comparison pictures.

I think very highly of S&W M&P 45s... Someday I will cough up enough coin to get one to keep the rest of my 45s company.

Again - great gun (as are the rest in those photos) and great review!

Congrats.

Chonny
12-16-2011, 23:35
Great review.

jamaicanj
01-02-2012, 09:10
Another great review. Thanks for putting forth the time and effort

Gunshine
01-02-2012, 10:11
Just so you know... that was an amazingly detailed and thorough review! Thanks!!
I especially like all the size comparison pictures.

I think very highly of S&W M&P 45s... Someday I will cough up enough coin to get one to keep the rest of my 45s company.

Again - great gun (as are the rest in those photos) and great review!

Congrats.

All this and entertaining as well.

carbuncle
01-02-2012, 10:34
Great review, thanks!

SouthernBoyVA
01-02-2012, 11:21
This past November, I got a bit of a wild hair up my posterior and on a lark went to one of my local guns shops to see if they had any M&P .45's with the 4" barrel in stock. They had one and it went home with me that day. While I was waiting for the instant check to clear, their armorer installed an Apex DCAEK trigger kit in the gun. This brought the trigger down to around 6.5 pounds, reduced the pre-travel and over-travel, and produced an excellent letoff... almost 1911 like.

When I got it home, I cleaned it up and did some dry fire practice and decided to re-install the stock OEM trigger spring (the Apex DCAEK kit comes with a stronger trigger spring). This brought the trigger pull down to under 4 1/2 pounds which is really nice with the crisp letoff.

This gun shoots beautifully and has been 100% reliable so far. An excellent buy for someone who is looking for a compact slide and barrel with a full size frame to increase mag capacity.

cowboy1964
01-02-2012, 12:50
Love my 45c. I once shot like a 3" group at 20 yards with it, by far the best performance I've ever had with ANY handgun. I'm lucky to do 10" with Glocks at that distance.

Does your ejector have any movement/free play in the frame? Mine is a bit loose and I think that's what's causing brass to my head.

LawScholar
01-02-2012, 13:05
Amazing review. I wish when everyone posted about a new firearm they put the same thought and effort into it that you did. Told me a lot about the pistol, and now I want one (just flat black finish for me, though ;) )

Bruce M
01-02-2012, 13:51
Nice review - well written and thorough. Thanks

plouffedaddy
01-02-2012, 14:42
Great review. I have 2 M&P 45c (1 FDE, 1 BLK) and both are awesome. I've never had any failures through over 1k rounds in each though (knock on wood!). I took the safety out of my FDE one and polished up the sear and striker to get the grit out. Other than that, they're bone stock and ready to rock.

Vance665
01-02-2012, 14:53
You said this is slightly larger than a G30 and is 8+1 capacity. Did I read that right?

Batwing
01-02-2012, 15:07
Excellent review.

I was just down at the shop I frequent looking at .45 pistols, some 1911's and the M&P, and Springfield XD.

Might have to look closer at this one.

HKLovingIT
01-02-2012, 15:11
You said this is slightly larger than a G30 and is 8+1 capacity. Did I read that right?

Yep.

It is a little longer in the slide but has a longer barrel.
A touch taller with the flat mag.
A touch thinner in slide and frame.
Can use the 10 round and 14 round mags from the M&P 45 Full size.
I don't have a G30 so going off of Glock official measurements vs. my caliper measurements.

Glockwork Orange
01-02-2012, 15:17
I'm going to give it a big negative at the time of this writing (12/17/2011) due to magazine availability. I looked on a few of the big name gun parts sites and the 8 and 10 round M&P .45 magazines are out of stock, back order. One of the largest sites has 10 rounders listed as coming in end of January 2012, 10 rounders with FDE color base plate end of March 2012, and black 8 round finger rest magazines as end of February 2012. I didn't even see flat base plate or FDE color base plate 8 rounders, like it came with, for sale. I looked on the online Smith and Wesson store and they list the same magazines as the retailers, but that doesn't mean they are in stock, plus they want like $8 each more for them.

Give Clyde Armory in Athens, GA a call...I was up there during the summer and they had about two or three bins of M&P .45c mags for $24.95 each...I'm gonna grab a couple more next time I'm up there...

G26S239
01-02-2012, 15:22
Great report, congratulations. I have an M&P40c, I like the medium backstrap too.

smitty704
01-02-2012, 15:26
Great review! Thanks for posting.

I also own an M&P 45c and it has been flawless. I purchased it brand new in May of 2011, and now I have just over 4000 rounds down the pipe so far with NO issues at all. It is a great shooter. Accurate and reliable as hell. Down right sexy too!

S&W has amazing customer service as well. I sent my gun to S&W right before thanksgiving to have some minor work done(new slide stop from normal wear, and new pair of sights because I dropped the gun and scraped the front sight :)). It only took 2 weeks to the day to get my gun back. And when I got it back I realized they installed a new slide stop and installed Trijicon night sights free of charge(my stock sights were normal non-tritium sights)!

S&W pays shipping both ways no questions asked. I am very pleased with the way I was treated on the phone, how fast the turn around was, and that they installed Trijicons just because they can. Great company to deal with. And great guns to own. Hope you continue to enjoy yours as well.

Again, thanks for posting your detailed review. It was a very good read.

cowboy1964
01-02-2012, 15:49

The 30 is also thick as a brick, as we all know. When it comes to raw firepower per ounce of weight virtually nothing beats Glock, in any caliber.

I've posted this photo many a time. Granted that's a G21 but the 30 is the same width. M&P on the left, G21 on the right (duh).

http://www.gunblast.com/images/SW-MP45/DSC01166.jpg

HKLovingIT
01-02-2012, 16:43
Give Clyde Armory in Athens, GA a call...I was up there during the summer and they had about two or three bins of M&P .45c mags for $24.95 each...I'm gonna grab a couple more next time I'm up there...

Nice. Thanks.

KarlThomas
01-02-2012, 16:55
I'm a big fan of the M&P 45s. They handle the round exceptionally well. Mag capacity, compared to similar sized guns is my only minor complaint. I like the size of the grip though, so I am understanding.

cowboy1964
01-02-2012, 18:48
MA State Police just went with the M&P 45. VT just went with M&P 40. Both were Sig users previously I believe.

http://ir.smith-wesson.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=90977&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1638558

Folsom_Prison
01-02-2012, 20:31
Great review HK! Have you played around with any of the 9mm versions?

HKLovingIT
01-02-2012, 20:55
Great review HK! Have you played around with any of the 9mm versions?

I have an M&P 9c that came with factory night sights, no safety. I like it a lot as well. I use the medium back strap. Because the one I have does not have a safety you can get a Crimson Trace laser module that goes in place of the factory back strap. That's a great feature and a superior way to do it if you want such a thing.

The quick and dirty:

Pros: Real easy soft shooter, 12 round capacity flat and pinky extension mags, pinky extension allows full grip. Takes full size mag from M&P 9 as well, there is an X-grip spacer for the full size mag if you like to have one. Has a useable light rail. Same quality of construction.

Neutral: A little bigger than a G26, a little smaller than a G19. I believe it measured out a hair thicker at spots than the Glock 26. Still totally doable as an IWB. Anything I said above about the M&P 45C trigger holds true but it's a little lighter pull on the 9c.

Cons: The take down lever on it gets hot after a couple boxes of ammo. I mentioned above that the M&P45C doesn't have that issue. Annoying but not a deal breaker.

Reliability: I have 1200 rounds through it including a first range session of 500 rounds, without cleaning it, straight from the store to the range and pulled it out of the box. I had one failure to extract on the first magazine through the pistol. Nothing else. Could not personally make it limp wrist.

I do not carry it, and I don't have a real good reason why at this point. I bought it for my ex-wife. So I dunno, I kind of leave it in the safe. :crying::dunno:

I could definitely see it taking the place of a G26 and a G19 in a guy's safe and holster if you were looking for a striker fired alternative to Glock and XD. You can order it with thumb safety, with magazine safety, with thumb safety and magazine safety, or none of the above so you can suit its features to your tastes. A really good pistol. If you want a hi-cap nine that is small enough for average Joe everyday carry and you do not want a G26 or G19, the M&P9c should definitely be up there on your list of ones to look at.

Folsom_Prison
01-02-2012, 21:19
Thank you! And I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I carry a G19 now and have been in a heck of a conundrum regarding my next pistol. I've told myself I wasn't going down the polymer route again, but the M&P's have had my eye recently. I was considering a beretta but due to the price point I crossed that one off. I was also considering a CZ 75 but after I recently handled some I'm not sure if I like them.

The more I handle the M&P the better it feels. I'm not sure if I'd go full size or with the compact though.

Thanks again!

A.J. :wavey:

I have an M&P 9c that came with factory night sights, no safety. I like it a lot as well. I use the medium back strap. Because the one I have does not have a safety you can get a Crimson Trace laser module that goes in place of the factory back strap. That's a great feature and a superior way to do it if you want such a thing.

The quick and dirty:

Pros: Real easy soft shooter, 12 round capacity flat and pinky extension mags, pinky extension allows full grip. Takes full size mag from M&P 9 as well, there is an X-grip spacer for the full size mag if you like to have one. Has a useable light rail. Same quality of construction.

Neutral: A little bigger than a G26, a little smaller than a G19. I believe it measured out a hair thicker at spots than the Glock 26. Still totally doable as an IWB. Anything I said above about the M&P 45C trigger holds true but it's a little lighter pull on the 9c.

Cons: The take down lever on it gets hot after a couple boxes of ammo. I mentioned above that the M&P45C doesn't have that issue. Annoying but not a deal breaker.

Reliability: I have 1200 rounds through it including a first range session of 500 rounds, without cleaning it, straight from the store to the range and pulled it out of the box. I had one failure to extract on the first magazine through the pistol. Nothing else. Could not personally make it limp wrist.

I do not carry it, and I don't have a real good reason why at this point. I bought it for my ex-wife. So I dunno, I kind of leave it in the safe. :crying::dunno:

I could definitely see it taking the place of a G26 and a G19 in a guy's safe and holster if you were looking for a striker fired alternative to Glock and XD. You can order it with thumb safety, with magazine safety, with thumb safety and magazine safety, or none of the above so you can suit its features to your tastes. A really good pistol. If you want a hi-cap nine that is small enough for average Joe everyday carry and you do not want a G26 or G19, the M&P9c should definitely be up there on your list of ones to look at.

HKLovingIT
01-02-2012, 21:35
Thank you! And I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I carry a G19 now and have been in a heck of a conundrum regarding my next pistol. I've told myself I wasn't going down the polymer route again, but the M&P's have had my eye recently. I was considering a beretta but due to the price point I crossed that one off. I was also considering a CZ 75 but after I recently handled some I'm not sure if I like them.

The more I handle the M&P the better it feels. I'm not sure if I'd go full size or with the compact though.

Thanks again!

A.J. :wavey:

Well actually that gives me an idea to add to my next reviews. I'll put in a category to talk about carry of it. I think I have enough generic holsters around for most anything to get a feel for it if I don't have a specific holster.

From looking and sizing things up at the store the M&P9 full size is a touch bigger than a G19 and a touch smaller than a G17. Smith & Wesson were kind of genius about that. They covered full size duty belt gun and concealed carry with only two pistols sizes and pretty well hit the mark.

In your case what comes to mind is that the M&P9c is a bit smaller than the G19 and a little bigger than the G26, so if you are used to carrying a G19 size pistol the M&P9C should be a peach. Though if you are doing IWB keep in mind it's a little bit thicker.

If you were looking for something significantly smaller than the G19 but still high capacity I would lean more towards the G26. Now I know most people wouldn't consider the G26 significantly smaller than a G19, but it is a pretty good difference to me. Still, keep in mind the M&P9c has a useable light rail and the G26 does not if that is a factor.

If you really like the feel in your hand of the M&P9c, such as you love the grip angle and back strap choices over the Glock (hard not to), and the trigger suits you, it could be just the ticket.

Folsom_Prison
01-02-2012, 22:27
I carry my 19 year round in a supertuck. I've tried a 17 in it before and didn't have any issues. Personally I don't have a problem carrying a bigger gun. I'm convinced the sheeple have no damn clue what's in my britches. If I go the M&P route I'm kinda leaning twords the full-size after your below post regarding size.

You sure know how to make a hell of a review! Great job and thanks for the input.

Well actually that gives me an idea to add to my next reviews. I'll put in a category to talk about carry of it. I think I have enough generic holsters around for most anything to get a feel for it if I don't have a specific holster.

From looking and sizing things up at the store the M&P9 full size is a touch bigger than a G19 and a touch smaller than a G17. Smith & Wesson were kind of genius about that. They covered full size duty belt gun and concealed carry with only two pistols sizes and pretty well hit the mark.

In your case what comes to mind is that the M&P9c is a bit smaller than the G19 and a little bigger than the G26, so if you are used to carrying a G19 size pistol the M&P9C should be a peach. Though if you are doing IWB keep in mind it's a little bit thicker.

If you were looking for something significantly smaller than the G19 but still high capacity I would lean more towards the G26. Now I know most people wouldn't consider the G26 significantly smaller than a G19, but it is a pretty good difference to me. Still, keep in mind the M&P9c has a useable light rail and the G26 does not if that is a factor.

If you really like the feel in your hand of the M&P9c, such as you love the grip angle and back strap choices over the Glock (hard not to), and the trigger suits you, it could be just the ticket.

BuckyP
01-03-2012, 07:40
Excellent job on the review. Thanks.

:thumbsup:

SouthernBoyVA
01-03-2012, 15:12
I own three M&P's. An M&P40 purchased in late 2010, an M&P 9mm Pro Series purchased in August 2011, and the above mentioned M&P 45 4" barrel purchased in November 2011. All are excellent shooters and all have had requisite mods to their triggers (on the sear as well). I really like the M&P series of Smith and Wesson handguns but I have two complaints with them.

The take down lever. They could have easily designed a different method more in line with the simplicity of the Glock system. I find this and the safety prong (whatever the hell it is called) in the mag well that disables the trigger) to be needless complexity in such a fine instrument.

The loaded chamber indicator. This is virtually useless. They should have gone the route of Glock, Kahr, Beretta, and Taurus by using the extractor instead of a ridiculous hole in the top of the slide. Much better to have both sight and tactile feel of a round loaded in the firing chamber.

Otherwise, the M&P is a top flight sidearm worthy of anyone's consideration as a carry gun.

jolly roger
01-03-2012, 19:52
I too have an M&P 45 C but was too lazy to do a review :)

It is without question an excellent firearm. Quite accurate and zero malfunctions of any kind.

3000fps
02-06-2012, 10:37
Excellent review! Smith should have sent you a few bucks for that one, (or maybe a free gun, that would be better :supergrin:)