Lovely . . . [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lovely . . .

Morris
12-17-2011, 11:04
Local media is absolutely salivating and frothing at the mouth about this. Of course, the local media in Seattle would rather a cop die than post the good stuff SPD does daily . . .

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Justice-Dept-Excessive-force-by-Seattle-cops-must-stop---or-else-135740783.html

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/lawyer-everett-man-was-roughed-cursed-seattle-poli/nF4mR/

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/claims-against-seattle-police-could-cost-taxpayers/nF4qQ/

Never mind the DOJ is massively involved in the cover-up of Fast and Furious, but they can't be bothered with that!

Ajon412
12-17-2011, 12:03
Can you say "deflection"...:whistling:..I just hope this doesn't prevent a Copper from hesitating to use force for fear of being hung out to dry..Hesitation can get you injured or killed......

BailRecoveryAgent
12-17-2011, 12:08
WHAT? KIRO and KOMO reporting things in a biased slanted view when it concerns law enforcement, namely the Seattle PD?? Unheard of.

Morris
12-17-2011, 13:33
I just hope this doesn't prevent a Copper from hesitating to use force for fear of being hung out to dry

Already happening in the business so I don't see why it wouldn't happen here.

A6Gator
12-17-2011, 15:26
U.S. Attorney Jenny Durkan announced the findings at a Friday morning press conference. She was joined by Assistant Attorney General Thomas Perez, head of the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division,

I see the root cause of the problem now...

Agent6-3/8
12-17-2011, 17:09
This from the same (in)Justice Department that's doing their best to cover up the murder of Brain Terry and the fact they were selling weapons to Mexican drug cartels. Way to go ****sticks! :steamed:

Morris
12-17-2011, 17:12
AAG Perez is also linked to the Arpaio situation as well.

dano1427
12-17-2011, 18:37
It's always the same mantra...

Poor "minorities" are targeted; yet the crime rate for these same "minority" groups is NEVER mentioned in these reports.

Too much force on drunks, druggies and mentally ill...It's tough for me to think about the last use-of-force incident I've had that hasn't involved one of those three groups. I've never understood, especially with the mental cases, why they have such free reign to cause harm, injure Officers, EMT's, etc, just because they are "ill." For some advocate groups, an injured Officer is far better than an injured "mentally ill" person; and this is from the experience in working in a city wherein we do more mental health detentions then any other city in the U.S.

Impact weapons: Yes, they are used, and yes, it's better for a targeted impact weapon strike than fisticuffs.

I smell a Federal consent decree coming....

Morris
12-17-2011, 19:27
They have already threatened to "sue" if SPD does not "clean up" to their standard. Wish the DOJ would clean up their mess first.

jethro21
12-17-2011, 23:37
About a year ago my department began documenting use of force situations in greater detail. This was a concern to us because now a "log" of use of force incidents was being kept on each of us, to include everytime we pointed our guns at people. My personal concern was that this information would be shared with the public and some of the same accusations be made (too quick to use force, etc).

Because of the unit I am in (street level gangs and drug enforcement), I have a significantly higher number of use of force reports than most other officers, as does everyone on my squad and in my unit. This is due to the criminals we target, their potential for and frequent use of violence.

If this information were to be released the only info which would be released would be the number of uses of force, leaving the impression that a small percentage of officers have the highest percentage of use of force situations. I suspect this may be some of the case in Seattle.

Morris
12-18-2011, 11:27
If this information were to be released the only info which would be released would be the number of uses of force, leaving the impression that a small percentage of officers have the highest percentage of use of force situations. I suspect this may be some of the case in Seattle.

It is. Although, to be fair, they are a couple of tards that shouldn't be there to begin with creating issues. But the information is skewed and naturally, the media is attaching on to the most negative aspects and creating that self defeating prophecy.

lawman800
12-18-2011, 12:17
The fact that use of force is necessitated has to be taken in light of what the population is and what the police have to deal with. The police has to use more force if the population they deal with is more violent. Simply quoting the rate of use is not good enough. Each incident was investigated and ruled on its merits. There is no pattern other than that the populace needing police action is more violent.

DOJ needs to clean house internally before going after other police departments. I couldn't watch more than a few seconds of that witch from DOJ before puking in my mouth.

steveksux
12-18-2011, 13:28
Durkan said the Justice Department did not find that Seattle officers engage in a pattern of discriminatory policing against minorities, but the investigation did raise "serious concerns" on this issue.

"Many community members believe that SPD engages in discriminatory policing," she said. "This perception is rooted in a number of factors (and) ... can significantly undermine the trust necessary for SPD to conduct effective policing in minority communities."

From my perspective, it seems perhaps a consent decree should be put in place. On the community members. Seems the problem is the perceptions of community members.

Not a cop, so maybe I'm not qualified to say. But in general, if there's no problem, there's no problem. You drive your car to the dealership and say it doesn't run. How are they gonna "fix" that car? Its already running. :dunno:

What are the "concerns" the article speaks of? Is there more than just the "perceptions" of community members?

Randy