Brazilian 9mm ammo from gun shop: [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian 9mm ammo from gun shop:

Numismatist
12-17-2011, 14:57
I usually ask for 'target ammo' at my local gun range/store and have always received the usual Remington or Winchester branded cheapest target stuff.

This time the store was extremely busy, and I wasn't paying attention (actually paying attention to the new guns in the case!), anyway the two boxes of 9mm I asked for were put in a bag and I pad and left.

It wasn't until I got home, that I saw what I got:

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq220/cbmamcintosh/IMG_9103.jpg

Anyone ever used or heard of these? They look questionable, I'm rather surprised that I was given these; however, it was my fault for not paying attention. I just want to make sure they're not reloads, or in any way inferior/dangerous?

Am I worrying too much?!

NG VI
12-17-2011, 15:13
Brazil takes their shooting pretty seriously...

Foxtrotx1
12-17-2011, 15:18
Sealed primers? I'm betting that is the good stuff.

Numismatist
12-17-2011, 15:20
Brazil takes their shooting pretty seriously...

:rofl: Yeah, I suppose so! I'm from Maine too.:wavey:

Sealed primers? I'm betting that is the good stuff.

:shocked:What do you mean?

Merkavaboy
12-17-2011, 16:28
CBC - COMPANHIA BRASILEIRA DE CARTUCHOS

What you have is several boxes of Military ammo made in 1978. The green stuff you see around the primer is a sealant to keep out the moisture.

I don't know how well it'll shoot since its over 30 yrs old and who knows how it was stored over those years.

NG VI
12-17-2011, 16:36
How's it going? somewhat unexpected snow today, last night was crazy warm.

I bet it's fine to shoot, ammunition is a lot more stable than you would expect.

Unless it was stored in truly horrific conditions, like the humid nightmare that is Brazil.

Foxtrotx1
12-17-2011, 16:37
I mean the primer sealant indicates that it's water resistant, probably in good shape. Also can mean it's military stuff which tends to be loaded hotter than crappy bunny fart factory loads.

Numismatist
12-17-2011, 16:47
How's it going? somewhat unexpected snow today, last night was crazy warm.

I bet it's fine to shoot, ammunition is a lot more stable than you would expect.

Unless it was stored in truly horrific conditions, like the humid nightmare that is Brazil.
Weird December so far! Two inches of snow at the coast this morning. 55 degrees yesterday!

Numismatist
12-17-2011, 16:52
I mean the primer sealant indicates that it's water resistant, probably in good shape. Also can mean it's military stuff which tends to be loaded hotter than crappy bunny fart factory loads.

Likely to kaboom , or just be duds? Don't really want it now, but can't return it either...

beforeobamabans
12-17-2011, 17:32
I for one would be incredibly pissed if an LGS I was a regular at did this to me without even mentioning it. I mean, 1978?!? Really? What did they charge you for it, $5? don't you think they could have respected you as a customer by saying, "Hey I know you normally by the American brands but I want to let you know we got a great deal on this Brasilian stuff. It was made in 1978 but we checked itmout ourselves and it seems to shoot just fine. we are passing the savings opportunity on to our customers and if you have any issues with it just let us know and we'll either give you your money back or replace it. Want to try it?"

Numismatist
12-17-2011, 18:01
I for one would be incredibly pissed if an LGS I was a regular at did this to me without even mentioning it. I mean, 1978?!? Really? What did they charge you for it, $5? don't you think they could have respected you as a customer by saying, "Hey I know you normally by the American brands but I want to let you know we got a great deal on this Brasilian stuff. It was made in 1978 but we checked itmout ourselves and it seems to shoot just fine. we are passing the savings opportunity on to our customers and if you have any issues with it just let us know and we'll either give you your money back or replace it. Want to try it?"

Mmmm. It was $15.99 a box of 50...as I said, it's totally my fault for not paying attention, yet I feel misled at best. I assumed it was the usual Remington or Winchester as always - stupid me.

Anyone think it's unsafe to use?

Foxtrotx1
12-17-2011, 18:06
I'd shoot it. It may be corrosive, so just clean the pistol well after.

JimIsland
12-17-2011, 18:22
15.99 for old ammo?:wow: FYI....I just bought a TON of Sellier and Bellot 9mm from Cabelas for 9.99 per 50 with free shipping. Shoots great and feels pretty snappy. FWIW....it's primers are sealed as well.

Numismatist
12-17-2011, 18:28
15.99 for old ammo?:wow: FYI....I just bought a TON of Sellier and Bellot 9mm from Cabelas for 9.99 per 50 with free shipping. Shoots great and feels pretty snappy. FWIW....it's primers are sealed as well.

Yeah, I got suckered...my next gun is most certainly NOT coming from there...

A bummer though, it's so close to my home, Cabelas and others are 1.5 hours away:steamed:

Merkavaboy
12-17-2011, 19:51

A bummer though, it's so close to my home, Cabelas and others are 1.5 hours away:steamed:

The box the ammo came in isn't 30+ years old nor does it look like a military box. This leads me to believe that this is a "repack" of surplus ammo. The rubber stamp ink printing on the back of the box is also a give away that it's most likely a "repack". It could be that the gun shop didn't realize that it was surplus ammo in the box when they bought it from their source. Still, $15 a box is expensive for ball ammo like this.

Curious, are there any lot numbers stamped on the inside end flap(s) of the boxes?

amd65
12-17-2011, 20:13
That is some ammo I would like to shoot.

dkf
12-17-2011, 21:17
Return it to the store. It will probably shoot fine but there is no way in hell I would spend $16 per 50 for cheapy no name 9x19 ammo that is that old. .

Numismatist
12-18-2011, 06:37
Curious, are there any lot numbers stamped on the inside end flap(s) of the boxes?

No, all white cardboard

That is some ammo I would like to shoot.

Why? I'm kinda nervous about it...

beforeobamabans
12-18-2011, 07:57
Mmmm. It was $15.99 a box of 50...as I said, it's totally my fault for not paying attention, yet I feel misled at best. I assumed it was the usual Remington or Winchester as always - stupid me.

Anyone think it's unsafe to use?

I don't know about it's safety but on top of everything else, the price is a ripoff. I had to go back to your OP to check the cal thinking it must be 45 or maybe 10mm at that price. Man, they are really lining their pockets. Buy quality, fresh 9mm ammo online from the major producers for <$200/1000.

DWARREN123
12-18-2011, 09:05
I would think it is good to go but too expensive for what it is. :supergrin:

txgunguy
12-18-2011, 10:50
You can't be too mad. You asked for target ammo. Why not ask for caliber and brand? Saying "let me have some target ammo" could mean so many things.

AF-Odin
12-18-2011, 11:18
IIRC, CBC is the headstamp for the commercial Magtech ammo many stores sell. Agree that what this looks like is re-packaged ammo from either a military or LE contract.

For ball ammo, $15.99 for 50 rounds is a bit high. Since I reload all my 9mm except the Gold Dot carry rounds, haven't really looked at prices in a while, but see to remember that the local Wally World had WWB or equivilent for low $20s per 100.

CBC headstamp should be good, "almost" guaranteed non-corrosive, and probably not any hotter than most other commercial 9mm 115gr FMJ.

As for ammo age, I am still working on my stash of mid 1930s Turkish 8mm Mauser. Corrosive as hell (just clean your guns well after shooting), but pretty accurate and so far, has gone bang every time

Numismatist
12-18-2011, 11:46
Thanks everyone for good advice...i suppose i'll try them! As i said, it's totally my fault, lesson learned!

Merkavaboy
12-18-2011, 16:00
Thanks everyone for good advice...i suppose i'll try them! As i said, it's totally my fault, lesson learned!

Just start out slow and a few rounds at a time, paying attention the muzzle blast, recoil, accuracy on target, etc., and inspect the first rounds' spent cases for any signs of overpressure: cracked/bulged cases, flattened/cratered primers.

Numismatist
01-01-2012, 16:35
Shot them all, no problems whatsoever. I'm relieved. Still, paid a bit too much and learned my lesson.

Merkavaboy
01-01-2012, 16:51
Shot them all, no problems whatsoever. I'm relieved. Still, paid a bit too much and learned my lesson.

Good to hear. :thumbsup:

mdsn969
01-09-2012, 00:07

I would certainly have a conversation with the LGS owner (keep it civil :embarassed:)