870 Suggestions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 Suggestions

daddysnapmuffins
12-17-2011, 17:16
Hey guys, I'm not a big shotgun guy and am looking at buying my first. I'm pretty sure I'm going with a variant of the Remington 870. The 870 Express Tactical A-Tac caught my eye found here: http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical-a-tacs-camo.aspx

I like the pistol grip, synthetic furniture, and camo. I have a few questions:

-What makes this shotgun nearly twice the price of a regular 870 tac or express model? Is it worth it in your opinion (subjective I know)?

-Is the listed MSRP listed on Remington's website the same, more, or less than you can find at retailers online?

-The few places I checked online were out of stock. Where's a good place to get one (potentially) at a good price?

Thank you.

Also, at this price it would be worth while to look at Benelli's.

aippi
12-17-2011, 17:37
You are paying for a bunch of mess on that weapon that has nothing to do with the function of weapon. Camo? I have tactical and hunting weapons and none have cammo on them. Useless mess and not worth the money.

Those peep sights have no place on a fighting shotgun and will shut down your peripheral vision and that could be deadly in a fight. So you are paying for some tacti-fool mess that can get you hurt.

That barrel is theaded and therefor not what you want for slugs and heavy shot. The Extentend tactical choke, or as we call it, the extended tactical Joke, is cyl bore and will produce horrible patterns. Slugs wobble out the barrel of that mess.

The entire model is a "Tacti-fool" joke of a weapon and an embarassment to the Remington line of shotguns.

Yes, the MSRP of all weapons are bloated on all Manufactures web site to make the retailers look like they are giving you some kind of great deal.

Vigilant
12-17-2011, 17:55
I'll take the liberty of quoting J D from a recent thread: "Get that mess off of there".

Find a nice used 7-shot 870P with a bead sight, unless you plan to shoot slugs at long distances. Do a search on Gunbroker for '870 Police'.

Vigilant
12-17-2011, 17:56
Also, think for a moment about how well that contraption would go over in court if, Heaven forbid, you ever have to use it in self defense.

sharpshooter
12-17-2011, 19:23
Ghost ring sights only slow you down if you're slow. You don't "have" to take your time to peep thru them and then exhale half way then check the breeze before you shoot. For goodness sakes, in the house we're talking about 5-10 yards max for most homes. It's almost point shooting, a front bead just makes it an "educated" point shot. You ought to be able to point shoot a humanoid sized target from those distances with only a little practice, it's pretty easy. You can always ignore the rear ghost ring and still use the big front post just like using a bead. You should be shooting with both eyes open anyways.

Hour13
12-17-2011, 19:54
Look, I'm not a huge shotgun guy either, but I wanted a bedside shotty. I wanted it to be effective, light enough to be comfortable to tote around, and short enough to tuck between the seats in my Mustang.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/hour13/gun%20stuff/100_4272.jpg

Remington 870 Express 12ga Magnum, Hogue "Tamer" grip set, Mossberg 18" barrel, Choate mag extension.

Done. Reliable, effective, and you can put this together for somewhere in the neighborhood of $500. It's a shotgun, why load it down with a bunch of stupid crap? Gun makers LOVE the tacti-cool craze, it's easy money.

Don't get sucked into the hype.

Buffering
12-17-2011, 20:24
While Hour's gun isn't for me, he does preach the right sermon for the unwashed masses.

With a shotgun less is more. Pick up any gun magazine and you'll see many things that have a purpose but many that are solutions to non-existent problems or problems you didn't know you ever had.

Here's what I did and I'm not using the parent voice:

1. 25 yr old 870P for $275. Sold the furniture for $60 so the gun costs $215.

2. Bought the Rem 'ute stock with the R3 pad. I can't shoot a standard LOP because I blade. The 13" is perfect for my funky assed body. $50.

3. Replaced the springs and extractor for about $35 to bring them up to snuff because I didn't know what the PM was.

4. Purchased a Mesa single point attachment. $19.

5. Purchased a simple sling for the single point. $25.

6. Purchased a Vang extension for $75. Probably going to dump it.

7. Purchased a Mesa 4 shot side saddle. $49.

That's what I use and I have rust, scratches and sweat on it. I'm sure there's some blood mixed on there too. I'd bet my life on this gun just the way it is. If I can't kill you with the rounds I'll club you to death with it. It's that reliable.

I purchased a lot of ammo and I'm using it to become more proficient with classes.

Don't get caught up with the hype of what someone says you need - less is better with a shotgun and after you've shot the p!ss out of it, you'll learn what is necessary for you.

dooga
12-17-2011, 20:51
My 870 Police Magnum is a perfect thing. Mine has wooden furniture but has the special fit and finish they only offer in the Police model. They go the extra yard.

22highcaps
12-17-2011, 21:02
Buy this instead:http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-synthetic-7-round.aspx

Sell the stock that comes with it and get this:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Speedfeed-Tactical-Stock-Set/707051.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dspeedfeed%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D15%26y%3D6&Ntt=speedfeed&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Nestor
12-17-2011, 21:50
You know, after playing a bit with tactical stuff I figure out that this guy:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdW2TAfN3mQ
is 100% right. The ghost ring sights will slow You down in close quarter and the pistol grip is not all that helpful either. Camo? I don't know what's gonna happen if I will drop my shotgun, but You know...whatever works.
I'll be building my 870 soon and here is the older Wingmaster on which I'm gonna do this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Admon/18977.jpg
Wooden stock or Houge overmolded one (depends which I can get cheaper), standard barrel with the bead sight and I'm good to go.
Don't spend your hard earned money on useless crap. Good luck.

daddysnapmuffins
12-17-2011, 22:33
I really appreciate the advice. Like I said I'm pretty new to shotguns and the replies definitely helped a lot. I do like the 870 Express Synthetic 22Highcaps recommended. Where can I find good prices other than G&R? Also, I would appreciate other variant recommendations if you have any.

Also, I was wondering about the Police version.

Buffering
12-18-2011, 02:07
If you want basic and extremely effective, go to aippi's site. His basic shotguns will be FAR than capable of saving your toosh and those of your loved ones. Not a lot of money for what you get.

I offer his services as a suggestion if you don't want to shop, buy and upgrade the gun yourself.

El_Ron1
12-18-2011, 06:57
GearQueers untie!

Buffering
12-18-2011, 09:39
GearQueers untie!

"We're here, we're gearqueers, get over it!'

fasteddie565
12-18-2011, 10:55
Good advice here.

Start off with a basic shotty and then add the things you find that you need, not what guns and ammo says you must have because the manufacturers advertise in their rag.

Most importantly, do not buy add-ons until after 100's of rounds of practice call for it.

sharpshooter
12-18-2011, 18:42
Nice video, but 2 seconds into the show Clint Smith is shown firing a shotgun with GHOST RING sights. Look, see?
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad43/DiRTYDOG223/photo-36.png

Nestor
12-19-2011, 06:45
He has many shotguns, but always advises to go basic for HD and I agree 100%.

IBreakStuff
12-20-2011, 13:11
Would anybody care to elaborate on why it would be detrimental to use buck and slugs in a threaded barrel as aippi stated.

Buffering
12-20-2011, 14:04
Would anybody care to elaborate on why it would be detrimental to use buck and slugs in a threaded barrel as aippi stated.

Was is bad for Agustus to fall into the chocolate river in Wiily Wonka? Same difference.

aippi
12-20-2011, 18:27
Slugs are stablized by the choke and buckshot restricted, thus force is being applied to that stainless steel tube and against the barrel threads.

Screw a choke tube out and look at the threads. You are looking at the reverse of the threads in the barrel. So, you have a harder stainless steel pulling against softer steel. So over time there is going to be wear and one day that tube goes down range.

It will not happen in a few year or not even 10 years, no more shooting then most guys do. However, with heavy use it is going to happen. Being an 870 last a life time, why have a barrel that will not? And should you fail to ensure that tube is tight before each range session you may find a very large hole in the target.

Choke tubes are for small shot, not buck shot and slugs.

IBreakStuff
12-20-2011, 18:53
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm running an 18" Rem choke barrel on my shotty as it pulls double duty, hunting/home. Sorry for the slight hijack OP.

ADK_40GLKr
12-21-2011, 11:56
GearQueers untie!

Was that
Untie

Or
Unite

?

aippi
12-21-2011, 13:28
Chocolate river????? Buff, you have to start doing like me and not screw the cap off that bottle until after you have posted on the web sites. The only time I post smashed is on November 10th.

byf43
12-21-2011, 15:48
1980 Remington 870 Wingmaster - as it left the factory. (According to the nice lady at Remington, this was an 870 Police shotgun. 2-3/4" chamber - 20" cyl barrel.)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/byf43/Shotgun%20pics/Rem870Wingmaster-rightsmall.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/byf43/Shotgun%20pics/Rem870Wingmaster-leftsmall.jpg

I got it used, at a gunshow, for $210.00 out-the-door (OTD)!
This beautiful shotgun didn't even have a brass mark on the underside of the carrier!!!!!

THIS is my HD shotgun. (There are no "Shotties" in my house! I don't live in the 'hood'.):supergrin:

22highcaps
12-21-2011, 20:10
I really appreciate the advice. Like I said I'm pretty new to shotguns and the replies definitely helped a lot. I do like the 870 Express Synthetic 22Highcaps recommended. Where can I find good prices other than G&R? Also, I would appreciate other variant recommendations if you have any.

Also, I was wondering about the Police version.

This looks like a decent price:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/95077

I like the police version myself. My very first gun was a 870 Police. I like it alot.

However, these days, the 870 Express models that J.D. builds up are strong competition for significantly less money.

Ferdinandd
12-21-2011, 21:17
I bought an 870 Tactical thinking that the ability to use Rem-chokes added versatility to the gun. I think that the pistol grip shoulder stock improves handling, especially when holding on with one hand, like when reloading - mine came with a straight stock and I bought a SpeedFeed PG from AIPPI. Having the mag tube installed from the factory is nice and saves you the effort of having to grind or pound out the dimples found in some 870 magazine tubes to discourage adding capacity. The GRS is less than optimal, I'll admit. However, with the factory supplied base and d&t'd receiver, moving to something else is easier and cheaper.

My next change to the gun will be to swap barrels for an improved 18" with rifle sights. I've found that the chokes aren't improving my patterns and might be hurting them.