Just when I thought it was safe to go back to the movie theater.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just when I thought it was safe to go back to the movie theater....

SAR
12-17-2011, 16:28
RAMPART... oh great, more flashbacks...

http://youtu.be/GeTnYROosEM

Vanilla-gorilla
12-17-2011, 16:42
Heck i will watch it.

opelwasp
12-17-2011, 17:18
Would you expect any less from Woody? Total garbage. I'll be taking the family to see Sherlock Holmes this week instead of supporting that propaganda.

Mattz
12-17-2011, 17:28
I think it looks interesting. I'll be watching it.

Fred Hansen
12-17-2011, 17:36
Woody's dad was a professional hitman. Unfortunately Woody didn't fall very far from the tree. Why people support anti-American garbage like Woody escapes me. :dunno:

dano1427
12-17-2011, 17:41
James Ellroy wrote that?

I can't watch it, simply because Steve Buscemi freaks me out, like an evil clown...

itstime
12-17-2011, 17:45
Looks good to me. I'll try to see it.

Davegrave
12-17-2011, 17:52
I think it looks like it's gonna be great, aside from Ice Cube. I'll take T over Cube any day when selecting black hardasses for a movie that started off rapping and have the first name Ice.

I like Woody. He's been in his share of bad movies, but they weren't bad because of him, he's always good.

Side note, boy Robin Wright is lookin kinda rough.

Morris
12-17-2011, 18:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di-XOO_LTlw

What I want to see next. Shakespeare fan here. :)

Morris
12-17-2011, 18:24
Double tag.

Fred Hansen
12-17-2011, 18:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di-XOO_LTlw

What I want to see next. Shakespeare fan here. :)Gnarly. :supergrin:

What's the matter, you dissentious rogues,
That, rubbing the poor itch of your opinion,
Make yourself scabs?
Coriolanus, 1. 1:cool:

BailRecoveryAgent
12-17-2011, 18:51
Its just a movie. Any intelligent person can watch that and not lump all cops into the outta control alcoholic train wreck he portrays in that movie.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

acpd541
12-17-2011, 19:49
James Ellroy wrote that?

I can't watch it, simply because Steve Buscemi freaks me out, like an evil clown... :rofl:

He seems too much like the character he played in Con Air,
Garland Green aka The Marietta Mangler.

trdvet
12-17-2011, 20:27
Its just a movie. Any intelligent person can watch that and not lump all cops into the outta control alcoholic train wreck he portrays in that movie.

:rofl:

SAR
12-17-2011, 22:08

So, I uh, actually worked in Rampart Division in the mid 90's with Rafael Perez. Where were you?

CAcop
12-18-2011, 06:34
So, I uh, actually worked in Rampart Division in the mid 90's with Rafael Perez. Where were you?

Was it like seeing a train wreck long before the engineer woke up too late?

BailRecoveryAgent
12-18-2011, 09:14

In high school.:supergrin:

I'm aware of the Rafael(Ray) Perez fiasco, I was just commenting that most people will watch movies like that and take them for what they are, entertainment. The ones that will watch it and say,"Wow, thats probably what all cops are like" probably already held that sentiment towards them.

BailRecoveryAgent
12-18-2011, 09:17
Side note, boy Robin Wright is lookin kinda rough.

You can say that again. I wonder if they "ruff'd her up" just for the movie, or if time and Sean Penn just hasn't been kind to her.

Davegrave
12-18-2011, 09:23
.... and Sean Penn just hasn't been kind to her.

He went all "I am Sam" on it! :rofl:

I woulda too, in her Forrest Gump days.

lawman800
12-18-2011, 11:19
Read the synopsis on IMDB a month ago and thought... here we go again... but it seems to be more of a character study in his person who happens to be a cop rather than focus on the cops who are bad and then using his personal life as a peripheral story backdrop. Minor technical differences, I know.

steveksux
12-18-2011, 12:05
Would you expect any less from Woody? Total garbage. I'll be taking the family to see Sherlock Holmes this week instead of supporting that propaganda.

Save your money, just saw Sherlock. Find something else. One of the dullest movies I've ever seen. Absolutely dreadful.

Randy

DaBigBR
12-18-2011, 15:14
I'll probably see it when it's released on video. I don't mind Woody. He was funny as fell in Friends With Benefits and pretty good (despite having a small part) in No Country for Old Men. I just don't see Ice Cube as an IA detective.

Panzergrenadier1979
12-18-2011, 16:09
So, I uh, actually worked in Rampart Division in the mid 90's with Rafael Perez.

I couldn't help but notice that Woody doesn't really "look" like Rafael Perez..... :whistling:

scottydl
12-18-2011, 16:49
I'll wait to hear what you all think before I even consider renting. Won't pay theater money. Greatly unrealistic police shows (which is the norm) annoy me... this may or may not be one, but based on the trailer I don't expect anything different from the norm.

lawman800
12-19-2011, 11:51
If cop shows or movies were even halfway realistic, the audience would fall asleep and then riot to get their money back after sitting through 8 hours of driving in circles, grabbing coffee at the Stop N Rob, unsuccessfully flirting with Flo, the waitress, at the greasy spoon, writing one running a stop sign ticket to some middle age guy who doesn't say much back, gassing up the unit, kicking all the sunflower seeds under your seat before you turn in the unit, then *****ing about work in the locker room.

RetailNinja
12-19-2011, 11:57
Anyone who's worried about realism in entertainment obviously didn't grow up watching this show.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-Hmxmd0stPSEc93HFGSjXmoXWD5W9D5QO_X2B9E1pI2uaF0drkw

Morris
12-19-2011, 12:20
If cop shows or movies were even halfway realistic, the audience would fall asleep and then riot to get their money back after sitting through 8 hours of driving in circles, grabbing coffee at the Stop N Rob, unsuccessfully flirting with Flo, the waitress, at the greasy spoon, writing one running a stop sign ticket to some middle age guy who doesn't say much back, gassing up the unit, kicking all the sunflower seeds under your seat before you turn in the unit, then *****ing about work in the locker room.

:rofl::rofl:

scottydl
12-19-2011, 12:37
^^ True ;) but HBO's "The Wire" put a brand on realism on cop drama without being cheesy and Hollywood-ized. So it can be done. Not that I ever expect another show to reach that level, but a boy can dream.

SAR
12-19-2011, 13:21
One of the big issues is that it portrays officers in a bad light, and even though you can say it's just a movie, in the end, the people who watch it are greatly influenced by it, like it or not.

I'll give you an example-- when Top Gun came out, suddenly everyone wanted to be a fighter pilot. That is an example of a movie (even though everyone knew it was just a movie) that caused a generation of people to want to become military pilots.

I cannot tell you the number of people who told me they were inspired to join the LAPD because of Dragnet and Adam-12. Just TV shows right?

So don't underestimate the power of the medium...

lawman800
12-19-2011, 13:51
One of the big issues is that it portrays officers in a bad light, and even though you can say it's just a movie, in the end, the people who watch it are greatly influenced by it, like it or not.

I'll give you an example-- when Top Gun came out, suddenly everyone wanted to be a fighter pilot. That is an example of a movie (even though everyone knew it was just a movie) that caused a generation of people to want to become military pilots.

I cannot tell you the number of people who told me they were inspired to join the LAPD because of Dragnet and Adam-12. Just TV shows right?

Oh man, the sad thing about Top Gun... I was in serious talks with a recruiter a few years after that movie, then I asked about those poor idiots who "enlisted" to be pilots without realizing it takes a BS/BA along with tons of testing to even be considered, along with making OCS, because there are no enlisted pilots in the Navy... Then he let out the truth that there are a lot of sailors swabbing the poop deck who thought they were going to be the next Maverick. The Navy filled their quota of deck hands with that one.

BailRecoveryAgent
12-19-2011, 14:24

I can see your reasoning behind that. I'll still watch "Rampart" though, looks like it could be good entertainment.

Glock!9
12-19-2011, 14:39

Does life imitate art or art imitate life?

scottydl
12-19-2011, 14:44
Does life imitate art or art imitate life?

Life imitates art. Art exploits life. Therefore we end up exploiting ourselves.

razdog76
12-19-2011, 18:00
My thoughts in no particular order...

1. Why do I have to be Mr Pink?

2. Like watching, The Shield inside of 90 minutes, and Michael Chiklis had no friends, and looks like he started using meth.

3. Glen Close doesn't have blonde hair anymore?:headscratch:

OR

4. Glen Close was in Ghost Busters?

Hollywood D
12-19-2011, 18:13

You're assuming most people are intelligent....:whistling:

Looks good from a purely entertainment standpoint