K9 off. arrested in death of his K9 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : K9 off. arrested in death of his K9

ronduke
12-17-2011, 21:48
http://www2.dothaneagle.com/news/2011/dec/13/1/geneva-police-officer-charged-k-9s-death-ar-2859433/

(I wonder if he left the dog in his hot car by accident?)

Cochese
12-18-2011, 02:16
Dunno, but this got him...

Waller didn’t intentionally kill the dog. It’s just the fact he tried to hide it

Dooshbag.

Goldendog Redux
12-18-2011, 03:00
I would like to know how the dog died. What a jerk.

JuneyBooney
12-18-2011, 09:31
I would like to know how the dog died. What a jerk.

I agree. I think he will be fired and go to jail on that one. I don't believe that unintentional stuff. :wow:Pretty disappointing.

x_out86
12-18-2011, 09:45
I am interested in knowing the cause of death as well.

This situation reminds me of the best advice I ever got from my first chief.... If you mess up, it happens, but be honest about it. If you mess up, then lie about it, you can be assured the truth will come out in the end, and the consequences will be ten fold worse.

JuneyBooney
12-18-2011, 10:06
I am interested in knowing the cause of death as well.

This situation reminds me of the best advice I ever got from my first chief.... If you mess up, it happens, but be honest about it. If you mess up, then lie about it, you can be assured the truth will come out in the end, and the consequences will be ten fold worse.

I had a friend that got fired from his department for lying and not the incident. So this officer's career is toast.

4949shooter
12-18-2011, 10:09

Dooshbag.

This +100

MeefZah
12-18-2011, 14:04
So the dog died, or was accidentally killed, and the officer buries it, reports it stolen and gives media interviews about the dog being missing for 9 months?

Damn.

Not smart. I do kinda feel for the guy, though. His partner dies and he tries to cover it up out of fear that he will lose his job... now he lost his job and is criminally charged...

Newcop761
12-18-2011, 15:20
He'd most likely still have his career if he had stood tall, told the truth, and taken his lumps.

Did he leave his partner in a hot car to die from heat exposure?

Panzergrenadier1979
12-18-2011, 16:58
Here's the original article from after the dog was reported missing.

http://www2.dothaneagle.com/news/2011/apr/25/help-needed-finding-missing-geneva-police-k-9-ar-1761681/

scottydl
12-18-2011, 17:53
DON'T. LIE.

He'd most likely still have his career if he had stood tall, told the truth, and taken his lumps.

^ This.

Rarely is it the actual "event" that gets an officer in trouble. Usually it's the lie. This is yet another example.

AA#5
12-18-2011, 20:14
So the dog died, or was accidentally killed, and the officer buries it, reports it stolen and gives media interviews about the dog being missing for 9 months?

Damn.

Not smart. I do kinda feel for the guy, though. His partner dies and he tries to cover it up out of fear that he will lose his job... now he lost his job and is criminally charged...

Sorry, I don't feel for the guy. If he did nothing wrong, HE WOULDN'T HAVE COVERED IT UP.

MeefZah
12-18-2011, 20:40
Sorry, I don't feel for the guy. If he did nothing wrong, HE WOULDN'T HAVE COVERED IT UP.

I feel for anyone who loses their job as a copper and gets proseucted, regardless of their crime. That fall from grace is a harsh one.

Glock!9
12-19-2011, 12:53
I dont understand why would he do it on purpose? its not like his partner could rat him out or something...its a dog? Im sure it was an accident, that being said he should have fessed up right away. No one deserves jail time for accidently killing an animal IMO.

Hack
12-19-2011, 13:11
I dont understand why would he do it on purpose? its not like his partner could rat him out or something...its a dog? Im sure it was an accident, that being said he should have fessed up right away. No one deserves jail time for accidently killing an animal IMO.

OK, what about humans?

Glock!9
12-19-2011, 13:25
OK, what about humans?

I do not put humans and animals on the same level.

Hack
12-19-2011, 13:46
I do not put humans and animals on the same level.

What are you for in terms of animal rights? Even the Torah endorses some type of rights for animals, even with the animals being used for food, and for temple sacrifices.

debbert
12-19-2011, 13:51
Personal responsibility has all but disappeared in this country. The liberals have conditioned people to blame everybody but themselves when bad things happen.

scottydl
12-19-2011, 13:55
I dont understand why would he do it on purpose?

I haven't read the specific AL statute mentioned in the article (Killing of a Police Dog) but I'm guessing that there may be a component of neglect that was a part of this... i.e. leaving dog in a hot car, not feeding/watering properly, putting the dog in a dogfight, etc. I'm just throwing things out there. The felony charge may also be something agreed upon by the prosecutor, to guarantee that the department could fire the officer immediately without waiting for the outcome of the court case (as they might have been forced to do with misdemeanor only). I could forsee the felony eventually being dismissed or pled down and the former officer being convicted of the misdemeanor (Filing a False Police Report) when it's all said and done.

Glock!9
12-19-2011, 14:18
I haven't read the specific AL statute mentioned in the article (Killing of a Police Dog) but I'm guessing that there may be a component of neglect that was a part of this... i.e. leaving dog in a hot car, not feeding/watering properly, putting the dog in a dogfight, etc. I'm just throwing things out there. The felony charge may also be something agreed upon by the prosecutor, to guarantee that the department could fire the officer immediately without waiting for the outcome of the court case (as they might have been forced to do with misdemeanor only). I could forsee the felony eventually being dismissed or pled down and the former officer being convicted of the misdemeanor (Filing a False Police Report) when it's all said and done.

This is true, he could have engaged in criminal behavior that caused this I dont know.

What are you for in terms of animal rights? Even the Torah endorses some type of rights for animals, even with the animals being used for food, and for temple sacrifices.
Im not Jewish, I do however believe the animals have a purpose and it is out job to be responsible for them to some extent. Lets say for sake of argument, he left him out in the elements or in a car and the dog died. Its sad, its negligent and a shame but it shouldn't ruin the mans life. Police dog or not, its a still a dog.

scottydl
12-19-2011, 16:37
Its sad, its negligent and a shame but it shouldn't ruin the mans life. Police dog or not, its a still a dog.

True, but if he committed a felony (by statute) then him being charged with a felony is not inappropriate. Whether or not he'll end up with a lifelong felony conviction won't be known for many months I'm sure.

Glock!9
12-19-2011, 16:47
True, but if he committed a felony (by statute) then him being charged with a felony is not inappropriate. Whether or not he'll end up with a lifelong felony conviction won't be known for many months I'm sure.

I guess I do not think killing a police dog should be considered the same as killing a human.
I like dogs and have one BTW, I am not anti pet or anything bizarre.

scottydl
12-19-2011, 17:15
I guess I do not think killing a police dog should be considered the same as killing a human.

I don't think it is being considered the same. Otherwise the guy would be charged with 2nd Degree Murder, Concealing a Homicide, etc. I have no doubts that the Alabama penalties for Killing a Police Dog are much, much less than any death of a human.

Many states have enhanced penalties for purposely causing a police K9 death, compared to say, killing a rabbit in your backyard. Obviously the purpose is so the court system can nail some mope for shooting a police dog that is assisting officers in an arrest. This officer just happened to make some really misguided choices that led his circumstance to fall into the category of the AL Police Dog statute.

Glock!9
12-19-2011, 17:27
I don't think it is being considered the same. Otherwise the guy would be charged with 2nd Degree Murder, Concealing a Homicide, etc. I have no doubts that the Alabama penalties for Killing a Police Dog are much, much less than any death of a human.

Many states have enhanced penalties for purposely causing a police K9 death, compared to say, killing a rabbit in your backyard. Obviously the purpose is so the court system can nail some mope for shooting a police dog that is assisting officers in an arrest. This officer just happened to make some really misguided choices that led his circumstance to fall into the category of the AL Police Dog statute.
I understand and should not have derailed the thread. sorry.
j

Trigger Finger
12-19-2011, 17:45
Just be honest about the whole thing!!

I was a Captains adjutant for a time before I was requested to be part of a surveillance unit and the Capt, who I respected a great deal, once told me.

"The worst thing an honest man can do is make an honest mistake"

Don't compound the situation by making it worse! I have had friends that tried to turn a good shooting into a better shooting and wound up getting fired.

And I can tell the K-9 and ex K-9 officers here. Your dog IS your immediate back up and partner and most officers would rather have something happen to them before it happens to there K-9. Very sad, but if true the officer needs to be disciplined severely!

AA#5
12-19-2011, 18:21
I feel for anyone who loses their job as a copper and gets proseucted, regardless of their crime. That fall from grace is a harsh one.

Ridiculous.

How do ya feel about this POS who kicked, beat, then hung his own K9?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=allen%20cockfield&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.squidoo.com%2FPolice_Sergeant_Kills_K9&ei=N9TvTv39DcnZiAL5kPCvBA&usg=AFQjCNFDWvsW71aKW5pAYOax3PJIWJZpDw

MeefZah
12-20-2011, 02:27
Ridiculous.

How do ya feel about this POS who kicked, beat, then hung his own K9?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=allen%20cockfield&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.squidoo.com%2FPolice_Sergeant_Kills_K9&ei=N9TvTv39DcnZiAL5kPCvBA&usg=AFQjCNFDWvsW71aKW5pAYOax3PJIWJZpDw

I feel just like I described.

You know it's possible for one person to have conflicting views about a subject, right?

I hate to see any cop lose their job and get prosecuted. It sucks. Doesn't mean I encourage the behavior leading up to said termination and charging, just means I feel bad for a guy who ruins his life like that.

Is this a complicated statement that requires me to expound further?

TBO
12-20-2011, 03:30

Dooshbag.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/TheeBadOne/TBO/Plusone.gif

eracer
12-20-2011, 04:43
So the dog died, or was accidentally killed, and the officer buries it, reports it stolen and gives media interviews about the dog being missing for 9 months?Was the officer's name Casey Anthony?

AA#5
12-20-2011, 12:13
I feel just like I described.

You know it's possible for one person to have conflicting views about a subject, right?

I hate to see any cop lose their job and get prosecuted. It sucks. Doesn't mean I encourage the behavior leading up to said termination and charging, just means I feel bad for a guy who ruins his life like that.

Is this a complicated statement that requires me to expound further?

No, it's quite clear. So is your problem.

Cochese
12-20-2011, 12:26
No, it's quite clear. So is your problem.

What's quire clear, is that at your age, we should not have to remind you how to act. Go back to GNG if you are struggling.

janice6
12-20-2011, 12:43
Two officers lost at one time. What a waste.......RIP K9.......

TBO
12-20-2011, 13:16
AA#5,

empathy-

1: the imaginative projection (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/projection) of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it

2: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vicarious) experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/explicit) manner; also : the capacity for this

Con43
12-20-2011, 13:42
Two officers lost at one time. What a waste.......RIP K9.......

One had a choice!.......One didn't,big difference :whistling:.