Interview and Interrogation Courses [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Interview and Interrogation Courses

Line Rider
12-18-2011, 09:25
I'm very interested in going to an interview and interrogation course. The two that I've seen offered in my area are thru RCTA and Reid. I've got to submit a request for the school along with travel cost to my chief.

If you've been to either or both RCTA or Reid I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks

OXCOPS
12-18-2011, 09:35
RCTA Meridian courses are top notch.

IGotIt
12-18-2011, 09:42
I did the Reid course and picked up quite a bit of info.

x_out86
12-18-2011, 10:04
I am trained in Reid basic and advanced, and I would highly recommend them. I learned a lot of good info and techniques. I also thought some of the most beneficial info that I got was a better understanding of the psychology of deception.

Its the most gratifying thing in the world when you use the Reid interview technique for the first time, see signs of deception, call them on it, and get a confession. I got lucky enough that the first interview I did using their technique was of a mom who stole her daughters identity, while she was at boot camp. Received a full confession and felt like a million bucks.

Morris
12-18-2011, 10:22
I did Reid (no, not Harry). Amazing how spot on their training is.

Hoser423
12-18-2011, 16:23
For the price... :whistling: you can't go wrong with RCTA. I've got no experience there.
I had an abbreviated Reid, and gained a lot of knowledge. The by-the-book Reid method is more appropriate for formal, planned interviews. A lot of the same indicators pop up in street stops, or preliminary talks with people, so it's absolutely helpful there. Honestly, for the price... Reid is worth it too.

Gos
12-18-2011, 16:55
There is an advanced course that you can take on line that shows some very effective questioning techniques. It's department standard for field interviews.
:wow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VFcE54VLe0

volsbear
12-18-2011, 18:51
Reid was good. There's also a local guy here who does excellent training on field interviewing of gang members, but that probably won't help you.

NMPOPS
12-18-2011, 19:07
I took the Reid course years ago and thought it was great.

razdog76
12-18-2011, 19:13
I have taken Reid's interview & interrogation and their street crimes seminar, and was satisfied with both.

PATC doesn't offer anything in your area? There is another company that begins with a "W," and is highly regarded, just can't remember right now. You can search using the key words, "kinesic interview" to find others.

SuperSleuth
12-18-2011, 20:19
I have taken Reid's interview & interrogation and their street crimes seminar, and was satisfied with both.

PATC doesn't offer anything in your area? There is another company that begins with a "W," and is highly regarded, just can't remember right now. You can search using the key words, "kinesic interview" to find others.

Wicklander-Zulawski.

DMF
12-18-2011, 22:45
The Reid course is excellent. The techniques are especially useful in person on person crimes, including suspect identification/elimination, but the techniques can be modified for use in other situations.

JohnnyReb
12-18-2011, 23:32
I'm a big fan of Reid. Good, useful techniques.

lloydchristmas
12-18-2011, 23:49
I went to Reid and found it very useful. Even if the setting isn't ideal, the techniques can still work great. It's neat to see it all come together, and get the full confession, especially when coworkers think its not possible....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

scottydl
12-19-2011, 07:02
The major-name interview courses are pretty similar. I've been to Reid twice in my career, and also Street Crimes (Pat McCarthy) that I believe had its start with the Reid company. I agree that it's quite a feeling the first time you use their tips, and it works. I've done the step-by-step interview that Reid teaches, but over the course of my LE career (10 years) I've started using more of a blending of techniques. Some of theirs, some I've picked up other places, with a dash of my own personality. That works best for using in the field IMO, just takes time to develop your own style.

fpgeek
12-25-2011, 18:36
I've had Reid and it made me a better interviewer. Wicklander-Zulawski is also good and used by the military. Regardless of which school you take, you have to "make it your own" to make it work.

CATATOMIC
12-25-2011, 19:33
I went to RCTA in Meridian, MS. Class was taught by Dr. Rhodes. Doesn't get any better. It was the one week I&I class.

ropin4gold
12-27-2011, 15:07
I have been to Dr. Rhodes' class at RCTA and Reid. If I were you I would put in for Reid. If they approve it with travel, per diem, lodging, etc then your good. If they deny it you can put in for RCTA because it is FREE........Just a thought. I thought both were excellent and learned different things from each one.

GunFighter45ACP
12-27-2011, 17:38
I'm a big fan of the Reid Technique. IIRC, they offer week long seminars on the road, so you might be able to find one offered closer to home if you've got a little bit of time on your hands.

razdog76
12-27-2011, 21:17
I got to go to Reid because my agency has employees that teach at OPOTA, so we get free class hours, and I essentially got to go for free.

To the OP, there are many companies offering training. You will learn something from any of the classes, and as someone else indicated it takes a while for you to incorporate the techniques into your style, and be effective.

Sharky7
12-27-2011, 23:33
I like Reid as well, but don't go strictly by it.

FBI has a few classes they have put on in the area with body language that has been pretty interesting. Not sure I buy into the eye movement upper left/right thing as much as some of the guys do.

Nothing beats getting your hands dirty though. Watching others and taking what you like from them and trying out your skills even on the little cases.

txleapd
12-28-2011, 04:49
I've been through a handful of interview and interrogation schools, and I've learned from, use parts of each. I've also been through the basic and advanced Reid courses. I honestly rarely use the entire Reid technique. I'm not a huge fan of it. I use little bits here and there, but I don't follow the steps. There's one guy in the office that is a close to a Reid disciple as you can get, and it works for him. I've got my own thing that's been pretty effective.

Mayhem like Me
12-28-2011, 07:25
Reid is good I also attended an IPTM 80 hour course they offered years ago that set the foundation .