can you buy a sh gun that [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : can you buy a sh gun that

pochis
12-18-2011, 13:39
will keep a pattern fairly tight and not have to do a bunch to it, my reason for asking is i had a 870 pump with 18.5 barrell that spread shot so bad it would do nothing but make bad guy mad. keep in mind i am new to home defense sg, i just need a little help to understand what i am looking for without going broke. thanks:whistling:

fasteddie565
12-18-2011, 14:04
What is the choke on the gun you have? perhaps a new barrel with RemChokes may improve the performance. You could also have a jug choke cut into your current barrel. That allows the shot to expand slightly and then condenses it prior to leaving the muzzle. Makes for a tighter patter. It can be pricey though. The type of ammo makes a difference as well. Cheap ammo, like Rio will fly catty wampus across the target, whereby Federal 00 Buck with the flight control wad makes a nice tight shot every time.

Shotgun patterns are like finger prints, they all have them and none exactly the same.

aippi
12-18-2011, 17:00
I am guessing you had a cyl bore choke which is about a straight pipe. Get an 18.5" barrel with I/C or Modified and you will like the tighter patterns. Or, simply start shooting some the modern flight control ammo and you will get tighter patterns.

It is the barrel and the ammo that determines the pattern, not the weapon.

WoodenPlank
12-18-2011, 20:26
My Mossberg 590 has an I/C choke, and holds a group about the size of a pie plate at 25 yards with Remington LE reduced recoil buck.

-gunut-
12-18-2011, 20:54
First: Take a hard look at the distances involved around your home.
Second: Go to the range and shoot those distances onto a paper target.

I say this because I find it hard to believe a stock 870 is spreading as much as you say in the distances involved with home defense.

Bullman
12-19-2011, 05:53
I have a Mossberg 590 with their Accuchoke barrel on it that shoots nearly as tight as my 500 that has visited Vang Comp. I have to shoot the Flite Control stuff to do that, and the 500 can shoot that tighter still, but it helps to run a barrel with a tighter choke. I have never had that choke tube out of the barrel so I would guess it is improved or modified.

Mr.Reignman
12-21-2011, 10:22
First: Take a hard look at the distances involved around your home.
Second: Go to the range and shoot those distances onto a paper target.

I say this because I find it hard to believe a stock 870 is spreading as much as you say in the distances involved with home defense.

this.

Z71bill
12-22-2011, 13:13
Try a different shell.

Different brand - different wad - different size pellets.

Are you sure you don't have a rifled slug barrel?

fasteddie565
12-23-2011, 05:26
Try a different shell.

Different brand - different wad - different size pellets.

Are you sure you don't have a rifled slug barrel?

Good question.....

eagle359
12-24-2011, 08:52
Try some Federal Flite Control. I use PFC 154. In my 870 18.5" IC bbl at 15 yards they stay inside of 8" circle.