Braintrust: Car key keeper? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Braintrust: Car key keeper?

1041TX
12-18-2011, 18:46
All-

Been seeing a lot of guys with a belt keeper that has a slot in the front for a single car key. Ive found a few places that sell them, but to be honest, the sites look kinda sketch. Anyone know a reputable place to pick one up online?

Ideally I'd like to find one in nylon, but I'll take plain leather if need be.

x_out86
12-18-2011, 21:59
I am a bit foggy by your description, but is this what you are talking about?

http://www.sportsmanshuntingwarehouse.com/shop/media/images/product_detail/umpic88711.jpg

If so, I have one and like it alot. If not, I think I need a little more info to understand what your looking for.

msu_grad_121
12-18-2011, 22:22
I think it's more like this:

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb390/msugrad121/key-per.jpg

If so, I found one at Stallion Leather, but this is the first I've even heard of this sorta thing. Interesting, though.

CarloTwoGuns
12-19-2011, 03:19
Put the key in your magazine pouch. Works alot better

x_out86
12-19-2011, 05:54
I think it's more like this:

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb390/msugrad121/key-per.jpg

If so, I found one at Stallion Leather, but this is the first I've even heard of this sorta thing. Interesting, though.
I have never heard of or seen anything like that before...kinda interesting, but I would have to pass.

rookie1
12-19-2011, 06:34
I just use a normal belt keeper and just unsnap 1 of the two buttons and slide the single key ring in there. I cant think of any reason why I would need to walk around with a ring of keys on my belt or anything more than the car key. I have suspenders that have the the same thing as x_out86 has and find it a little awkward to push the little tab down and pull the key out. I also don't have any fingernails.

Dragoon44
12-19-2011, 07:25
I would want one with a velcro cover or snap.

I used to keep my keys on a aluminum kubotan ( thin) and just thrust them behind my belt when I got out of the car. it was very secure and never had them fall out even in a fight.

I also had one of those keepers that had a hidden cuff key.

Hack
12-19-2011, 07:50
I carry a set up for a big ring of keys at my facility, so this would not be anything that I need. I just use real carabiners for my key keeper, and a steel link dog leash for my chain.

socalchuckster
12-19-2011, 08:53
This works for me too. Key is very secure there and the only time I ever "lost" a key was durring a mag change at an OIS.

Put the key in your magazine pouch. Works alot better

x_out86
12-19-2011, 10:14
I have suspenders that have the the same thing as x_out86 has and find it a little awkward to push the little tab down and pull the key out. I also don't have any fingernails.

I had the same problem when I first got it. The exact angle and pressure needed to get the keys out was a mystery to me. After about a week, I got used to it. Now I can get my keys off the clip without any issue at all, just took a few days for the learning curve.

lawman800
12-19-2011, 13:58
The car key, being just a single key with a number tab for tracking, goes in the magazine pouch between the mag base and the top cover. Other times, it goes in the slot created by the garrison belt when it loops back to retain the buckle. Never had an issue.

1041TX
12-19-2011, 16:50
Hmmm. Methinks I went a little GQ for a moment. Mag pouch it is!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

razdog76
12-19-2011, 17:42
When my primary set isn't in the car, it is on my right front belt keeper.

My spare set includes several of the different "fleet" keys my agency has used. I cut the plastic end off and drilled a hole in the current key, so it is easy to tell which one it is in the dark. All four of them were then put on a 1" key ring.

I then use a Zak Tool key ring holder. It is made out of steel, and with the snap, I have never lost any keys, and it is very handy when a coworker calls after locking themselves out of their car (or yourself, but that would never, ahem, happen). It is attached to my belt at about the 5 o'clock position, so it does not jingle when I walk.

That belt keeper single key holder does not look very secure at all.

http://www.zaktool.com/productimage/zt55.htm

Hollywood D
12-19-2011, 18:20
I put my keys in my pocket. Maybe I'm old school.

ray9898
12-19-2011, 19:17
I have used the Zak tool holder posted above for many years. I love it.

ray9898
12-19-2011, 19:18

I wish I could get to my pockets. One is covered by the duty holster and one by the Taser holster.

lawman800
12-19-2011, 22:10

That's my problem as well, can't get to my pockets with the low ride holster on one side and the backup weapon in the other pocket.

The Fist Of Goodness
12-19-2011, 23:14
1041TX

I have a couple of key keepers still in the package that were given to me by a friend of mine. I use one for an oversized handcuff key on my raid gear. It is nylon, and folds around the key from both sides and is secured by velcro. I think it is made by Galls (looks identical to the one in the link). If you want one, PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

http://www.galls.com/msn/style-NP484-general_catalog-gsa-approved-galls-molded-nylon-silent-key-holder

lawman800
12-19-2011, 23:31
Mb, if you are amenable to this, we have a thread on CT for cops to give gear to each other and this key keeper would be greatly appreciated by some, I am sure. I have one just like it but made by Uncle Mike's, and the nylon doesn't look as padded or thick. Yours almost looks as robust as a Bianchi Accumold type of reinforced nylon.

SCSU74
12-20-2011, 09:12
All-

Been seeing a lot of guys with a belt keeper that has a slot in the front for a single car key. Ive found a few places that sell them, but to be honest, the sites look kinda sketch. Anyone know a reputable place to pick one up online?

Ideally I'd like to find one in nylon, but I'll take plain leather if need be.

i love mine, ill see if i can find a picture for ya... i do also keep a key in my mag pouch as a back-up, but the key keeper is a lot more convenient for unlocking the car door. i have a big key ring that i attach a squad key and handcuff key to, makes double locking very easy no fumbling for key!

Heres the thread with picture:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565935&page=45
its about 4 posts down..

you can buy them from gt distributors which if you are in Austin (ATX?) is local or got ya covered has them in fort worth and can mail them.

blueberry1177
12-20-2011, 09:24
Belt Buckle when wearing my Nickel garrison buckle pocket when wearing the Nylon here

Hollywood D
12-20-2011, 10:46
That's my problem as well, can't get to my pockets with the low ride holster on one side and the backup weapon in the other pocket.

We have cargo pockets on our pants. I just put them in there. I can't get to my regular pants pocket easily either.

lawman800
12-20-2011, 10:48
We're waiting on our cargos...

golls17
12-20-2011, 10:49
Chalk me up for a pocket, too. Of course, cargo pockets make this easier...

Goldstar225
12-20-2011, 10:52
I've always used the right front belt keeper with a key ring large enough to fit over. Undo one snap and clip it in place.

Broke Hoss
12-20-2011, 13:35
Back in the days before MDC's, cameras & real leather gear, we turned our cars off anytime we were out of it. I wore a keeper such as this. The only thing on that keyring was the carkey. Diplomats or Caprices had 2 key sets; 1 for the ignition & 1 for the door & trunk. Of course Fords only used 1 key for both ignition & door. We didn't even carry a spare set with us. If you screwed up & locked the keys in you had to contact someone to bring a extra from the station.

This was before we carried handsets & cellphones were unheard of. So you might have to knock on the door of the house where you just finished quelling a disturbance & ask to borrow their phone to call in........At least that's what I've heard:embarassed:

Central Texan
12-21-2011, 16:58
I've been locked out of vehicles way to often, so I'm a bit paranoid about it. I keep a car key and cuff key tied into the top of my boot laces, one of each on my belt in a silent key holder and one of each in my weapon side pants pocket (difficult to get into, but easier than calling for somebody to come unlock me).

All the spare keys in the world wont do squat when your buddies move your car while your in the bathroom during lunch. Just saying.

razdog76
12-21-2011, 21:14
Back in the days before MDC's, cameras & real leather gear...

Before leather gear? I am going to ask Dragoon about this.:supergrin:

Broke Hoss
12-22-2011, 01:59

Ahh, you caught me. :tongueout: I was thinking the days of real leather;hearing it squeak & having to polish it. Some things I don't miss much.

Dragoon44
12-22-2011, 05:52

I still miss my Mastodon Leather gear it really held up well.

:tongueout: